Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP stand up for its right to the freedom of speech? For the TRUTH?
YES 3037 99.35%
NO 20 0.65%
Voters: 3057. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th August 2014, 13:56   #2551
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
FACT ONE : Team-BHP is built on the principles of truth, honesty & transparency. Indeed, we are the ONLY source of information on the Indian car scene (of a respectable size) that does NOT entertain any source of funding from the automotive industry. Why? SIMPLY to maintain our unbiased attitude. Team-BHP is a community of, by and for the Indian car enthusiast.

FACT TWO : Skoda offers what is possibly the ABSOLUTE WORST after-sales service in the country. Simply put, here is a company that fails miserably in taking care of its premium customers. Customers who spend between 8 to 25 lakh rupees of their own hard-earned money on a supposedly premium car have to fight in court for a basic level of service. Search within the forum for actual owner reports of forged signatures, overcharging practices, inflated bills, outrageously priced spares, installing fake parts in place of original, mis-represented repair quotes, unreliability concerns and absolute lack of support from the parent company : Skoda India. This forum is full of actual Skoda HORROR stories by real-life customers of Skoda India.

FACT THREE : Member Harishv has been an unfortunate recipient of Skoda’s appalling standards of service. His only fault? That he spent 12 lakh rupees on the wrong brand. His Skoda had parts worth a whopping 4.0 lakh rupees replaced by counterfeit ones by Skoda's official dealer / representative; fake parts that could have taken a toll on his family’s life (e.g. fake brake discs installed in his car). Now, Skoda is busy fighting him in court. Not to mention, his Skoda Octavia has yet not been returned to him. IN A YEAR!

FACT FOUR : Instead of apologising and making up to its so-obviously-wronged customer for their dealer / representative misdeeds, Skoda continues to fight the poor gentleman.

FACT FIVE : Harish turned to Team-BHP for support and posted his entire Skoda ordeal here with FACTS and supporting pictures. Skodas response:

My only questions to you, Dear BHPian, are these : Does Team-BHP stand for the truth and nothing else but the truth? Are we going to let giant corporations walk all over us? Does the Indian customer want to be so ill-treated? Do we want to be walked over by a profit-hungry Skoda that cares a damn about it's Indian customers? Are we willing to stand up for our rights? Do we want ANYONE to take away our right to freedom of speech?

Team-BHP is blessed with the best-wishes of 40,000 BHPians. the entire body of Indian car enthusiasts and lakhs of regular visitors. I know, that with YOUR SUPPORT, Team-BHP has what it takes to stand up for the TRUTH.

Let me also release a FIRM PUBLIC WARNING to Skoda Corporate : If you attempt to threaten ANY Team-BHPian, your account will receive a permanent BAN. And yes, if you want to sue me for speaking the truth, be my damn guest.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-...015853278.html

If China's competition commission can do it to Mercedes Benz then why not Competition Commission of India (CCI) to Skoda India? Going by the expensive after sales service and spare parts, Skoda India's treatment of its customers makes a fit case for CCI action.
IMeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 17:38   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMeMyself View Post
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-...015853278.html

If China's competition commission can do it to Mercedes Benz then why not Competition Commission of India (CCI) to Skoda India? Going by the expensive after sales service and spare parts, Skoda India's treatment of its customers makes a fit case for CCI action.

I don't think it's required anymore. All of us who have been burned by Skoda now know never to buy a VAG car again, and that's showing in their sales.

Duniya gol hai. It's showing up in their sales now. Even though they have arguably the best cars on the market at each price point, most people like myself are willing to pay more for a better service experience, or settle for a less plush ride to avoid nightmares.

Can't tell you how much happier I am without a Skoda now.
torquing_points is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 18:32   #2553
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

I think Skoda got more flak then it deserved. Now the myth has become the legend & its difficult to separate the fact from the fad. Brand reputations aren't built overnight but certainly can fall very quickly if issues not addressed.
No amount of salad dressing like free road side assistance etc can fix this. Its a shame as its effecting resale value of existing owners, and making perspective owners shy away as they know they will also not find a perspective buyer in the future.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 20:36   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
No amount of salad dressing like free road side assistance etc can fix this. Its a shame as its effecting resale value of existing owners, and making perspective owners shy away as they know they will also not find a perspective buyer in the future.

We gave away our superb finally as we were not willing to bear repair costs anymore. Final straw was when a repair bill was higher than the resale value of the car.

So,true, resale value is affected -- because it's hard to tell if the car on the resale market is a crappy one or a good piece! So, the market risk adjusts for this.
torquing_points is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 21:03   #2555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post

BUT Skoda is the only company that threatened an emerging car forum in India for daring to entertain an independent, fact based post of their irresponsible treatment of a customer.

It then proceeded to drag the customer through bureaucracy as if to warn other customers not to cross them. When approached they say the matter is "sub judice." Yeah, right!

Skoda knew/knows the useless and time consuming nature of Indian courts and has no second thoughts about dragging Harish through the courts when they can bring closure to this by simply saying "we're sorry" and replacing his car.

The forum that they threatened has gone from strength to strength on the basis of the principles that it stood for..
Shibu.
This is most shocking and dismaying. I have been a reasonably satisfied customer of Skoda for almost 9 years with 2 cars that have together done well over 2 lakh kms. I was actually thinking of evaluating the new Octavia to replace my old Laura. But after reading all the feedback of actual experience others have had maybe I should go check out the competition.
V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 18:57   #2556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Apparently that handle is not active. The last post made from that handle was in 2009, hence I do not think it will be on any use.
Looking at the opinions and rage T-BHPians have against Skoda, that member aka Skoda Corporate would be silent reader than get bashed day light.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 19:03   #2557
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that the settlement has been reached maybe this thread can be closed / linked to the main thread.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 20:32   #2558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now that the settlement has been reached maybe this thread can be closed / linked to the main thread.
True. But what also perhaps needs to be done is to create a separate thread for VineetKr's horrifying experience that nearly cost him his life and left him disabled.
IMeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 20:59   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now that the settlement has been reached maybe this thread can be closed....
What settlement? The company continues to cheat people and they have still not resolved their spare parts availability issues!
My niece's Fabia was standing at the workshop for over a month because of a certain part (front wheel axle) not being available! No service car for the duration either.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 19:48   #2560
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: PART II of the Skoda Saga

When the big guns in the parent company display an attitude of not giving two hoots to customer satisfaction then it is not possible that any meaningful customer service culture and attitude can be ingrained in the organizations and teams below it. An organizational culture and values always start from the top and flow down. Many on this forum may be senior folks in the service sector and would identify with my observation. After reading this old post by Evo I am compelled to conclude the Skoda India cannot and will not improve...the apple never falls too far from the tree....like father so son....baap sair tou beta sava sair....these are age old home truths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Since

Dear Mr.Deval,

I have just spoken to the dealer principal Mr. Amit Modi (+91 94331 25938) and taken up the conversational issue strongly. We apologize on behalf of the dealer for such conversational mails.

Further with regards to the control unit as mailed earlier, we would not be able to support you any further. Kindly coordinate with our dealer principal directly to resolve your concerns.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthik

They just said that they would not be able to support me any further!
Haha. They just said it. Its like saying "Too bad mate, now I dont give a damn what my dealer does to you"

!

I then wrote to Tomsu Ondrej, Skoda Czek

Dear Mr.Tomsu,

Please see the response that I have received from Skoda India below in this mail.

You will see that they are still trying to cheat me by making me pay for a part.

I`m quite sure that your company would not have tolerated this if it happened in Prague, so why here?

I request you to kindly look into the matter and take it up with Skoda India.

Regards

The chap writes back saying:

As I have mentioned in my previous email the whole matter is fully in the responsibility of our independent manufacturing company of Skoda vehicle on the territory of India.

We respect their below-mentioned decision and we believe that the offer given to you is above the standards and very customer-friendly.

We are sorry we are not able to assist you anymore in this matter.

Best regards,

Ondrej Tomsu
Customer Care

How brilliant is that? The second time Skoda tells me that "we cannot assist you anymore in this matter"

And he has the cheek to call their offer "customer friendly".

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd August 2014 at 22:53. Reason: fixed quotes, thanks
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 00:18   #2561
Senior - BHPian

>2800 Members have opined on the poll. The thread has made >7.25Lakh impressions (views).

The fact that Skoda is still operating shows what money can get done in India. A SME business would've been physically forced to shut shop after a few such cases, but with Skoda, I (being abit of an auto enthusiast) hear of cases on various forums almost every week.

Its not just the govt's fault, its also the peoples fault. Here the thief is rich, so all that people suddenly want to deal with them in the MOST civilised and humane way possible, and at most give their +ve consumer reviews about not wanting to buy the brand.

'Doing their bit', as many of them would put it.

Theres NO use, its designed to work like this, our friends and relatives will continue falling into Skoda's trap, and will stay in their dreamworld that they own a "Superior German Engineered Product". By the time they realise that this company doesn't deserve to represent German Engineering, they'll probably be deeply invested in the trap.

If the Mods/Experts were to draft a petition on Change.org , then couldn't we get sufficient signatures (including Team-BHP guests), for a National news channel to raise the issue? Or do you'll think Indian news media wouldn't like to anger a well paying client group ?
GrammarNazi is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 16:06   #2562
BANNED

Very briefly - my son decided to buy us a sedan as a gift, zeroed in on the Skoda Rapide Ambition+ MPi in beige after getting our views, and went and placed an advance booking amount of Rs 50,000/- with the dealer Fahreinheit Motors in Delhi while the loan was being processed by VW Finance. This was on the 8th of September 2014, and delivery was promised immediately on processing of the loan. The cheque for the advance booking amount was cleared, receipt was issued by "Satnam Automobiles", documentation and verification for the loan done, and then began the games.

-Beige is not available, try white, try black. OK, black will do.
-Please come and inspect your car and sign documents on Saturday 13th of September 2014, so my son and I hiked over to Satnam Motors which has a board of Fahreinheit in Phase-I of Okhla Industrial Estate.
-Please bring PDCs along (surprising, when loan terms were payments by electronic transfer)
-Please bring cheque book along for other amounts.

So once we reach Satnam Automobiles, the VW Finance person was not there, and the dealer salesperson thrusts a whole file at my son of VW Finance blank pages of fine print, and says "sign here please". My son says, hang on, can you fill in the details, and can we see the car, so the salesperson points at a black Rapid standing on the floor and says that one. We look at it, and, hello, it is an Elegance version, so we say, what is this, and the salesperson says, oh, the car for you is not here right now, but please sign.

So now we get slightly perturbed, what is the hurry, so I ask, can we go see the car, wherever it is, and the salesperson says, no, please sign here, and makes as though there is a huge demand for Rapids, and if we don't sign, then the cars won't be provided.

At this juncture I wander around the showroom, open the bonnet of the black Elegance version, and figure out from the VIN code that it is May 2014 manufacture. So I ask the salesperson, what is the date of manufacture of this car, and he says "I don't know". Is it new, I ask him, and he says "I don't know, please sign here and here and here".

We are getting kind of reluctant to proceed or sign anything, at that juncture I am getting worried about even accepting a glass of water, so next comes the Branch Manager, who is equally evasive. I then take the lead and say, OK, fine, this is not going anywhere, so we are not signing blank anythings, we want to see the VIN number of the car we are getting and then we want to inspect the target car, the Branch Manager says no can do, so we say we would like our money back, and the dude says, well, we have to file a report to Skoda and then only can we give your money back, so why don't you sign here and here and here again?

I figure out the game, tell him politely one more time that he may kindly process the refund, and we leave. On the way out I show him the dashcam in my car.

24 hours later, we've booked another sedan with another dealer for another make, almost the same price. A proper process where a form has been filled and documents exchanged, a small token advance of a fraction of the 50k taken with a proper printed receipt bearing full details including tax numbers, registered address and a written statement that full amount is refundable at any time if customer wants it. To a specific question on what the age of the vehicle would be I was told that (a) the vehicle is on wait-list so it will be new and (b) it will likely be same month or maximum previous month of manufacture.

I had heard horror stories on Skoda dealer games in the past too but I guess I had to go through this once myself. Which is sad, because the car looks solid, and sounds good too. But if the pre-sales experience is anything to go by, then the after-sales is likely to be even worse.

I'll let this thread know progress on the refund too. Blocking or delaying my refund is not going to a horror story for me.

Last edited by malq : 14th September 2014 at 16:23.
malq is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 17:12   #2563
Distinguished - BHPian

Signing blank forms seems to be common business practice here in India. Even in banks, I am given such forms to sign. Whilst it is nice to be saved the work of filling in the forms myself, I want that done before, not after, I have signed.

Even with well-trusted persons, in situations where there may not even be room for misrepresentation, let's put an end to this blank-form signing everywhere.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 20:54   #2564
BHPian

Touch wood... I chose skoda yeti heart over head.. I couldn't convince myself to buy anything else, and didn't want to compromise, after having compromised all my life.
The pre-sales, delivery, post sales and service has been excellent. I have been dealing with vinayak skoda, Bangalore.. And their customer centric approach has been far superior to my previous experience with Maruti, Honda and hyundai.
I'll vouch for vinayak skoda anyday.
harishpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 09:15   #2565
BHPian

I am not in favor of this thread, and even Harish thread, to be closed. No, even if Skoda starts delivering perfect cars and sales and services, this thread should be open to serve as a deterrent to other shoddy dealers/manufacturers. In any case Skoda has not done any favor to either Harish or many other customers where it goes for settlement or is even penalized. Imagine the current Skoda VP (or whoever settled Harish's case) being sacked/retired. It is not just Skoda, if such cases are against any manufacturers, we should not haste to close such threads.

Most importantly, if there is a genuine decline in Skoda complaints, the thread will automatically die
PNTLovesNano is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote