Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th March 2009, 12:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Cramped and impractical yes i agree but i don't think A-Star is noisy. Its pretty silent.
In my test drive of the car i found the in cabin noise more than i10 and Spark. Also, the gear lever and steering vibrate at idle. Thats a big shame. But understandable since its a 3 cylinder motor.

Yes its in my avatar because i like how the modded A-Star looks.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 15:20   #17
BHPian

Well if they launch the diesel, they will launch only with The " National engine" 1.3 MJD.

Well people will definitely prefer A Diesel A star with MJD over the famous "RATTLE SNAKES"
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 17:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Its really a shame that Maruti cannot satisfy the demand for diesel cars for the country.
If they were able to produce diesel A star's and diesel SX4's then they would have completely decimated all the other car manufacturers.

Tata's, Hyundai's and Ford's are really lucky in that matter and should pray that Maruti remain like that for as long as possible
Maruti cannot decimate other car manufaturers in Diesel segment for the simple reason that they do not have a successful homegrown engine rather they themselves are banking on the engine technology provided by FIAT which currently is also in same contract with TATA and GM, hence their diesel dominance is really limited to how well FIAT manage their R&D for future MJD Engines.

Further, Maruti can't satisfy the demands because of limited supply of engines from Fiat. The generally long waiting period on Swift Dzire is because FIAT only provides a certain number of engines per year to Maruti.

So, I guess this is more a case of FIAT ruling Indian Diesel market, not so much with their own products but certainly with their technology.

Further, Maruti dominance in diesel segment will dwindle and has already started dwindling with launch of Indica Vista and Fiat Linea, future launches of New Indigo and Grande Punto will also mar their current standing.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 16:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Where Are The A-stars???

Have you guys been seing any A-STARs on road ? I hardly have seen 1 or 2 .
what is the reason ? isnt anyone buying this car ? on the contrary i see so many i10s every day

2 of my office colleagues ( hard core Maruti fans ) went ahead and bought i10s becos they didnt like the A-STAR

this car got such nice reviews. so whats preventing ppl from buying this car?
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 16:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Have you guys been seing any A-STARs on road ? I hardly have seen 1 or 2 .
what is the reason ? isnt anyone buying this car ? on the contrary i see so many i10s every day

2 of my office colleagues ( hard core Maruti fans ) went ahead and bought i10s becos they didnt like the A-STAR

this car got such nice reviews. so whats preventing ppl from buying this car?
A-Star is not a practical hatch. The space even less then Alto and M800. Boot is non existence. Its good enough for chicks IMHO.

As for families i think they all just try to fit in. Of all the Suzuki hatches i like the build quality WagonR and its the most practical hatch to be bought specially if you have a family.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 16:48   #21
BANNED

A-Star diesel will make a hot hatch!
Its likely to have a new unit under the hood, probably a 1-1.2L diesel unit.
1.3L will convert it into a pocket rocket!
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 17:53   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Actually Fiat has already developed a smaller JTD engine. They were in talks with Suzuki for using it in a small car (probably the A-Star). Otherwise the A-Star is a total flop. Maybe the diesel will help increase sales.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 19:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post

Further, Maruti can't satisfy the demands because of limited supply of engines from Fiat. The generally long waiting period on Swift Dzire is because FIAT only provides a certain number of engines per year to Maruti.

So, I guess this is more a case of FIAT ruling Indian Diesel market, not so much with their own products but certainly with their technology.
I thought Maruti manufactured the DDiS units on their own and just the technology/dies whatever has been taken from fiat
meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 20:07   #24
BHPian

Maruti claims A-Star's mileage around 19 kmpl, so whats the deal with diesel ?? Iam confused. iam sure there are sensible people in MUL to put MJD into an SX4, rather than the backless skewed so called hatch with rear seats in the boot space..
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 21:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Maruti claims A-Star's mileage around 19 kmpl, so whats the deal with diesel ?? Iam confused. iam sure there are sensible people in MUL to put MJD into an SX4, rather than the backless skewed so called hatch with rear seats in the boot space..
Does the A-Star really give 19kmpl? I doubt it. I think among all Marutis (with a Maruti engine) only the Alto gives a decent milege. Of course the most fuel efficient Maruti uses a Fiat engine. Are the Fiat critics listening?
Old 27th April 2009, 00:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Of course the most fuel efficient Maruti uses a Fiat engine. Are the Fiat critics listening?
I disagree, the most fe maruti (stock) uses a peugeot engine.
Agree with dceite on the noisy part. even i found the a star very noisy. Not only is it noisy, it does not sound very good either, I felt it sounds like an omni.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 27th April 2009 at 00:02.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 08:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think if Maruti just chops off a cylinder from the existing MJD they will end up with a 3cyl. 1.0 ltr. engine (936 cc to be exact).
For one this will give a more sensible power output taking the model and its market into consent and also it will be even more compact than the 4 pot.
Although this is easier said than done the likes of Hyundai, Ford and even Tata have used changing cylinder nos. to bring out more engine variants to good effect.
Suzuki needs to seriously rethink its Diesel strategy. The sucess they have reaped at Fiats courtesy in India as well as Europe is there to see. Although the Swift diesel was a move in the right direction its just a drop in the ocean considering the wide model portfolio and volumes maruti has in India.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 09:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I disagree, the most fe maruti (stock) uses a peugeot engine.
Agree with dceite on the noisy part. even i found the a star very noisy. Not only is it noisy, it does not sound very good either, I felt it sounds like an omni.
The only Maruti's which used the Peugeot engine are the Zen D and Esteem D (Both discontinued). Though fuel efficient, I doubt they can match the MJD/DDiS/Quadrajet. The Peugeot was quite an old engine, originally used in the Peugeot 309 and then in the Maruti's and also in the Accent DLS.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is not investing in expanding the DDiS manufacturing facility in spite of the great demand on their cars having the same. Does this indicate their intention to move to something else?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 11:24   #30
BHPian

The Facility for manufacture of the engines is owned by FIAT , AFAIK Maruti or TATA , both of whom buy FIAT's engines cant do anything about it!
pradster is offline   Reply With Quote