Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th April 2009, 12:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Hyundai Verna - 21.9 km/ltr.
Now there's a crock of crap if I ever heard it. I'm a Verna CRDi owner.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 12:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
What's hard to swallow, however, is that verna crdi has pipped the swift DDiS in terms of fuel efficiency. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the figures on this forum almost universally contradict this fact, don't they?

And if the verna is so fuel efficient, how come the getz crdi doesn't figure in the same list ? GO FIGURE !!
I'm sure the figures they have shown are all under proper test conditions, so replicating them will be difficult.
But a few points - The getz crdi has always been known to give poorer mileage then the verna crdi for some reason. I have found this the case with a lot of people. Lot of guys keep claiming that their getz only gives 12 or 13 to the litre. Wonder why!
My verna crdi gives me an even 15 or 16, and higher then that when I use shell. 22 might be upward as per their claim, but 15 or 16 is a sure bet.
I do believe hellstar with his peted verna got 20 or 21 at some point if I remember right. So hey, its not totally impossible to attain the said values.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 12:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure the figures they have shown are all under proper test conditions, so replicating them will be difficult.
I doubt, coz i have got 21kmpl from my OHC on the highway. So under ideal conditions at a constant speed, the Verna should have been way more FE than this.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 12:55   #19
BHPian

Nano may be the most fuel efficient, however at 2.10 lakhs OTR Kolkata for the top end varient, I don't see value in it, for 2.10 lakhs, I can get some decent cars with a lot more power.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 18:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Musicmanaman,

Perception of a car's value and decency changes from person to person, I respect your view that at 2.1 lacs you may get more powerful cars (well for a wee bit more than 2.1 lacs), albeit without the Power windows, central locking, fog lamps etc..
That said this Car wasnt meant for the power hungry types (honestly, the other 'More Powerful' cars have only some more poke and not exactly outright power). For somebody looking for a new car in that price range, no other car can match the Nano for its amount of space or mileage(arguably better looks as well).
The Nano targets customers who are used to cramped public transport or overloaded two wheelers, for them the odd second lost while accelerating inside a trafic jammed city will be of no major relevance, Trust me.
Its frustrating everytime people keep shouting the drawbacks of a car that was priced as such that most competitors said it wont be possible and still cant reply with a viable alternative. The so called competition is more than quarter of a century old, ls not nearly as safe, and comparing the base models is still more expensive by 30%.
By the way, i know im way off topic.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 18:23   #21
BHPian

Fiesta TDCi not among the top three diesels?? Unbelievable!
MalluDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 22:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
To me the FE figures stated are all fake,i don't know when was the last time i got 12.5kmpl on my car and wonder where do they drive these cars to achieve such hansome FE figures
Standard test conditions would be completely different from practical conditions.

The mileage for my Indica V2 DLS in Trivandrum, (A/C + City) was 14-15kmpl. Moreover I never had the habit of switching off the engine while waiting for somebody (to keep me cool)

Now in Bangalore, the car is giving me around 11kpl.( A/C +city). Mainly due to the fact that my waiting time would be more than the actual running time. I take around 1 hour to travel 13 kms. To cover 40kms (Neelamangala to HAL) I had taken 3 hours.

So in all practical drives in most metros, perhaps we have to take hours/litre rather than kilometres/litre,
sudheeshnairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 12:19   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Have they consulted with Overdrive on FE measurement parameters? . I am surprised to see the Indigo beat the Swift diesel (as an Indigo owner) and also the A-Star as more fuel efficient than the Alto.

Of course, not too many can doubt the Nano's ranking as the most FE car in India.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 15:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Figure for Nano is acceptable.
However Indigo and Verna seems incorrect.
Indigo does not gives more than 15-16 and Verna i have not seen many owners here claiming more than 14-15 either.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote