Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st May 2005, 03:55   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
Add point 10 to your list.
10. Spend billions of rupees developing modern expressway infrastructure between major cities, and billions more to improve the existing roadways IN the major cities.

Considering the state of Bangalore roads today - there are like five times the number of vehicles than the roads were designed to carry - I shudder to think what the situation will be like when the Indian car market consistently sells over a million vehicles a year. And I hear that the other metro cities are almost as bad.
excellent point..yep everything needs a major overhaul..one thing though...lane discipline needs to be taught as well...u dont see cars, bikes, trucks, autos, etc..every which way in other countries..everyone follows their lanes, sadly in india, i still dont see it very often. Its not that hard to stay in ur lane, lol.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2005, 13:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
excellent point..yep everything needs a major overhaul..one thing though...lane discipline needs to be taught as well...u dont see cars, bikes, trucks, autos, etc..every which way in other countries..everyone follows their lanes, sadly in india, i still dont see it very often. Its not that hard to stay in ur lane, lol.
Well its not hard to stay in a lane provided we have something called as lanes on the road. Take an example of Western "Express" Highway in Mumbai. There are lots of places where you have 4 lanes. Just when you think of following the lane you suddenly realise that the lane, you were travelling in, is merged with other lanes and now you have only 2 lanes to use. So its nice and easy to follow lanes only if we have them. Now that the MMRDA is doing some real good work of broadening the highways, I think its time to educate drivers about lane rules, minimum speed limits etc. Otherwise we will still end up watching one Auto Rickshaw travelling at 20KMPH overtaking another one travelling at 19.50 KMPH... especially on flyovers.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 21st May 2005 at 13:35.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2005, 14:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz
Well its not hard to stay in a lane provided we have something called as lanes on the road. Take an example of Western "Express" Highway in Mumbai. There are lots of places where you have 4 lanes. Just when you think of following the lane you suddenly realise that the lane, you were travelling in, is merged with other lanes and now you have only 2 lanes to use. So its nice and easy to follow lanes only if we have them. Now that the MMRDA is doing some real good work of broadening the highways, I think its time to educate drivers about lane rules, minimum speed limits etc. Otherwise we will still end up watching one Auto Rickshaw travelling at 20KMPH overtaking another one travelling at 19.50 KMPH... especially on flyovers.
yeah ur right..well if the lane is ending or merging into another..signs need to be provided, so that drivers know ahead of time..to change lanes or to merge or whatever. Thats the standard in ohter countries, it should be followed in india as well.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote