Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 16:11   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Guys, please go easy on the bold font! Makes for hard reading.



Harry10, every single point you've mentioned applies equally if not more to men drivers in our country. Auto drivers are of course the worst, followed by all regular drivers-- except members of T-BHP of course
I agree. I dont wanna be biased but some men drivers(like me) do the opposite of what i stated, however almost all women drivers have the below mentioned priveleges.
I feel the rickshaws and cyclewallahs are worst than auto drivers in this respect (atleast you can try to prove auto driver was at fault but in case of cyclewallahs you are the culprit always)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Yes,you are very much right.
OFF TOPIC:And I must admit, you have a great sense of humour, i read and re-read the first line after reading your post.
Thank you mate
Glad you found humour in it as i found my daily driving misery in it

BTW kindly continue the below arguement as am quiet liking it(not in bold font though).
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 16:13   #62
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 218
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
blac, that is a start and an actionable idea rather than a sweeping statement to reform the entire system and addresses the point of this thread - how to prevent damage to a car.
if you think the idea is actionable, please tell me how you intend to put it or get it put into action.
I did not make a sweeping generalization. you did by bringing up the possibility that maybe our cops are underpaid and that we should shell out more taxes to boost their paychecks.

Quote:
Ahh, frankly blac Im too old and too dumb We need naw jawans like you!
this coming from a person who was calling my previous post a bunch of excuses? huge disappointment again! surely, Starscream, you cannot be older than most of the walking corpses we call politicians. or are you?

Last edited by blacmagic : 15th April 2009 at 16:15.
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 16:34   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
if you think the idea is actionable, please tell me how you intend to put it or get it put into action.
I did not make a sweeping generalization. you did by bringing up the possibility that maybe our cops are underpaid and that we should shell out more taxes to boost their paychecks.

Exactly how I said, by introducing wheel locks. How is that not actionable? Prevents cars from being towed and getting damaged. And how is `our cops are underpaid' a sweeping generalization? Isn't that a fact or are we debating the very core of that idea? You disagree with the idea that they are underpaid and therefore they are tempted to take bribes?
I did not say we `should' pay more taxes - I said how would we feel if we had to do that to improve services - it was an idea meant to provoke debate (which it certainly did!) not a generalization. Better services cost money - now that is a generalization I'm willing to accept.

this coming from a person who was calling my previous post a bunch of excuses? huge disappointment again! surely, Starscream, you cannot be older than most of the walking corpses we call politicians. or are you?
Ha, ha, no I'm not. By too old I meant too old to appear for the exam - missed the boat. I may well enter the political fray though. Will you vote for me?

Last edited by StarScream : 15th April 2009 at 16:35.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 16:52   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 198
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

@starscream

Ever dealt with a Punjab cop?

Ever dealt with a Marathi cop (especially when you don't speak the language) ?

In the example of the drunk driver - it's interesting how the cop is to blame and you have no opinion of the guy driving drunk.
I certainly have an opinion about the drunk drivers, but this thread is about cops and their habits. Stupid drunks and even stupid sober people will break the law unless they are punished, and thats what separates a civilization from the Stone Ages. If the upholders of the law let people go like this, then nothing would be safe anymore.

Let me add two more things to underpaid and overworked, which will really get your goat - ill-trained and emasculated.
For me it would still be overpaid with their bribes, overweight with all the freebies, and underworked because they don't do their job.

Doesn't everybody want to earn more? Some of us are lucky enought to have the opportunity to work hard and earn more legally. Others don't and hence are tempted to take bribes. Why is that a difficult concept to grasp? I disagree with your general sweeping statement that `everyone has opportunities'. No, everyone does not have opprtunities - it's the luck of the draw. Ask the rag-picker outside your house about the wonderful opportunites ahead of him/her. Being underpaid is one of the biggest drivers for corruption in our government.

So by that yardstick, why stop at bribes? Lets allow them to pilfer & murder as well, shall we? You can start by telling the ragpicker outside your house that he is free to rob you & damage your car if he feels like it, since you understand his lack of opportunities, and know that he isn't lucky enough to earn as much money as you.

And how do we know why they join the force? Has one of your cop friends confided in you?
They definitely ain't my friends but yes, I happen to know quite a few, and they have ALL mentioned this as their reason for becoming a cop. If you read the papers, the nephew of Maharashtra's CM Ashok Chavan, an inspector, has assets worth approx 300 crores. On a salary of around 20k. But then thats understandable, he didn't have luck on his side and is just trying to earn as much as us. Oh wait, he passed us long ago. Time for us to catch up by using the same means should be ok for you right?

There is a basic difference between our ideologies maverick and that is - I believe in free speech. Why shouldn't I float an idea and why do you assume I haven't raised it with Delhi Traffic Police/Government?
Thats the inherent trouble with free speech - its free. However even I believe in that ideal and consider this to be just a debate and nothing more. And nothing personal intended at all. The use of personalized examples is merely to illustrate the point, nothing else.

This forum is about different ideas and we are allowed to disagree. The reason I added emasculated is because of examples in this thread itself. In the example of the traffic jam above the cop probably has orders to let the rally pass. What is he to do, disobey them?
It is his job to direct & clear traffic and if he had done that instead of watching and cheering from the side, then he would have been doing his job for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
if you think the idea is actionable, please tell me how you intend to put it or get it put into action.
I did not make a sweeping generalization. you did by bringing up the possibility that maybe our cops are underpaid and that we should shell out more taxes to boost their paychecks.


this coming from a person who was calling my previous post a bunch of excuses? huge disappointment again! surely, Starscream, you cannot be older than most of the walking corpses we call politicians. or are you?
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 17:50   #65
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 218
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

now we will need a list of promises for that wont we?
people are already offering color TVs and free electricity.
use your imagination, prepare a list. if it agrees with me, Ill vote for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Ha, ha, no I'm not. By too old I meant too old to appear for the exam - missed the boat. I may well enter the political fray though. Will you vote for me?
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 18:23   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
i was digging through my archive of pics. and found the pics of the time my Zen was towed away. the worst part was, that there was no NO PARKING board there. they bent and scratched my bumper even then.

the white one is my zen

Mumbai Towing Service: Is this how our cars are towed?-21032006001.jpg

PS: sorry for the noisy pictures, had to edit them to make the damage visible.
That one is so prehistoric! Just jack your car up - slap on the spare tyre.. and drive off - with that thingy!!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 22:08   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
That one is so prehistoric! Just jack your car up - slap on the spare tyre.. and drive off - with that thingy!!
And you will be chakki pissoing( translated to good english - in jail grinding wheat) for theft of government property.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 10:22   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,758
Thanked: 89,465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
That one is so prehistoric! Just jack your car up - slap on the spare tyre.. and drive off - with that thingy!!
Admittedly, your unique solution never occured to me. Only in India. As the Airtel ad goes "What an idea, Sirjee"!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 10:28   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Admittedly, your unique solution never occured to me. Only in India. As the Airtel ad goes "What an idea, Sirjee"!
Is that not the "Idea Ad"

I suppose they would note the registration numbers and trace you for the missing piece using RTO's help
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 10:50   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,504
Thanked: 438 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Admittedly, your unique solution never occured to me. Only in India. As the Airtel ad goes "What an idea, Sirjee"!
GTO, isn't that Idea's ad?
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 15:58   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
@starscream

Ever dealt with a Marathi cop (especially when you don't speak the language) ?

Now, seriously, maybe that's the reason cops end up using foul language - maybe they think you are too highfalutin to speak to then in the local lingo.

I certainly have an opinion about the drunk drivers, but this thread is about cops and their habits. Stupid drunks and even stupid sober people will break the law unless they are punished, and thats what separates a civilization from the Stone Ages. If the upholders of the law let people go like this, then nothing would be safe anymore.

That is exactly why cops should be paid more, so that they don't let an offender go free for a few bucks.

So by that yardstick, why stop at bribes? Lets allow them to pilfer & murder as well, shall we? You can start by telling the ragpicker outside your house that he is free to rob you & damage your car if he feels like it, since you understand his lack of opportunities, and know that he isn't lucky enough to earn as much money as you.

I don't do well with tangential comments/responses...

They definitely ain't my friends but yes, I happen to know quite a few, and they have ALL mentioned this as their reason for becoming a cop. If you read the papers, the nephew of Maharashtra's CM Ashok Chavan, an inspector, has assets worth approx 300 crores. On a salary of around 20k. But then thats understandable, he didn't have luck on his side and is just trying to earn as much as us. Oh wait, he passed us long ago. Time for us to catch up by using the same means should be ok for you right?

I took your advice and looked at some newspapers. Look what I found :

Cop poisons wife and kids, tries to commit suicide - Delhi - Cities - The Times of India

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/D...ow/4359972.cms

Constable commits suicide - Bangalore - Cities - The Times of India

All these over money and you will find many others where the reason is `family tension', which is a euphemism for family strife because of little money. I guess these guys weren't as enterprising as Mr. Chavan's nephew.

It is his job to direct & clear traffic and if he had done that instead of watching and cheering from the side, then he would have been doing his job for once.

Yup these fat, lethargic, overpaid cops are public enemy No. 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
now we will need a list of promises for that wont we?
people are already offering color TVs and free electricity.
use your imagination, prepare a list. if it agrees with me, Ill vote for you.
I very seriously thought about this blac. Then it occurred to me that I've already disappointed you big time twice over and considering you're based in Hyd, you aren't the target audience. But really, is a color TV all it takes to win your vote?? Now I'm disappointed, at least ask for an LCD

Last edited by StarScream : 16th April 2009 at 16:06.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 16:34   #72
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 595 Times
Default

its not our cops who are at fault to take bribes or make extra buck!

every naka/check point/beat box/police station/SHO/traffic beat patrol etc have a "hafta" to earn and pass it on to his higher authority.

so from where or how should they arrange this hafta and who has this money? we have the money..the Public!

so when car are towed, and its locked, the steering cant be operated, the "crane" lifts up the car from the front and tows it to the nearest collection point! the 2 wheelers are hoisted on the crane itself and they too suffer the agony of broken parts!

park in a proper place and pay that parking fee to avoid the bigger damages and the harrasment!

"tu jaanta nahi mera baap kon hai" doesnt work, but Rupee does!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 16:54   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,504
Thanked: 438 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
its not our cops who are at fault to take bribes or make extra buck!
Check this out - a traffic cop who tried to stop an offender was beaten up by the traffic violator and his friend!
Read @ Times of India - Ahmedabad
So they do get their share in cash and in kind! Wonder if they can pass the compliment on to their bosses for this!
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 17:42   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
2. Our traffic cops are massively overworked and underpaid.
I hear this argument quite often - for many professions. Absolute hogwash! If people are underpaid and overworked there is a reason. They have no special skills which needs to be paid highly, and they can easily be replaced with another generic person, and they are too lazy to get themselves into a high paying job/ do something on their own.

We live in a capitalistic society. Nobody is forced to work on a job they don't like. Everyone has the opportunity to work hard,learn (even when they are old) and look for better avenues.

I feel no sympathy for people who want to sit idle and whine they are underpaid. Most often they deserve it.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 16th April 2009 at 17:45.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 17:53   #75
BHPian
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 933
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Guys some of us seem to be taking things a little too personal. The whole point of discussion is the way the traffic cops seem to be treating public property. Yeah if the person has committed offense, then fine him for the same, if the current fine is not being a deterrent then increase the fine to an extent that the perpetrators will think twice abt commiting the same mistake or make him walk the courts a couple of times and that should teach the person a lesson, but damaging a public property should never be done by anyone linked to a responsible Govt.

It basically boils down to the fact that people have no regard of the cops and cops have no regard for the general public and the root cause is probably the lack of sensitivity on either sides in understanding the issues faced on either sides, and how you sensitise the general public and the govt servants to respect each other is a million dollar question, and if someone has any ideas on that then put them forth, rather than pointing fingers at each other and trying to prove who is right or wrong.

One thing that needs to be made clear is that law is for the people and not above people and the cops should realize that they are servants of the public and they have to respect the people, and people need to respect law. But where is the accountablity for anything in our Govt, where only money and muscle talk. I say more empowerment to organizations like lokayukta, and get in fresh and clean blood into politics, get some IIM guys into the govt sector, and run it like a corporate office. Nowadays we read everyday in the news papers on how much money a neta has made and how many cases are pending against him, but still the junta in general is going to again vote for the crooks because there is no option. Its a choice between the bad and the evil and its a bunch of jokers, thieves and dacoits in the entire political ring. But appreciate the initiative of the print media to come up with the facts, atleast the awareness will pay rewards in the longer run, may be the next generation will get better leaders. Good to see some corporate guys getting into politics, that is a good start IMO. Anywz sorry for hijacking the thread, but this thread is more about the general apathy of the govt servants towards public property rather than this particular incident, and hence my point of view
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car towed away by traffic cop with the handbrake engaged!! Chewbacca Technical Stuff 20 17th July 2014 18:02
Can a Swift be Towed by a Grand i10? thehighwayman Technical Stuff 33 29th January 2014 10:35
How to prevent your car from getting towed away sumeethaldankar Street Experiences 97 25th December 2013 18:40
24x7 towing service - Ashish Towing (Mumbai) GTO Mumbai 6 10th August 2011 02:54
Fight against Towing Scuderia The Indian Car Scene 13 9th June 2008 21:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks