Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st May 2009, 16:53   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I doubt that?! And I really doubt if those goons in the tow trucks can qualify as public servants. Perhaps somebody with a legal background can make a better comment...?

How it would have turned ugly is as follows - the towing dude who got up from the ground to hit Frank knows his rights with the cop, cop gives testimony stating that yes indeed the good Doc was interfering with the towing guys. The towing dude is an agent of the cop, the cop gives instructions on which car to pick up. The towing dude CANNOT pick up a car without the cops permission.
There has been a notification in the press authorizing these agents to perform duties of towing away cars in the presence of a cop.

Now who the Magistrate is going to listen to ? the Cop or Frank ?

Its not of a legal profession, its how the cops work. The cop is NOT going to compromise his daily bread and butter cos the towing dude, if starts to sing peans of how the cop has made his daily bread/butter/jam, the cop is going to loose his job.

On the other hand, do you expect the towing guys to bring in 10 lakhs worth of tilting bed towing trucks which is the best way to tow/take away cars like the west. Heck if that happens, which is the right way to pick up cars, its going to cost us a hell lot more as there will be an amortization on higher value of equipment purchased. Yes, the towing dudes will do brisk business.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mmmjgm : 1st May 2009 at 16:58.
mmmjgm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 20:20   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
FYI - the offense which the towing guy has committed is "damage to public property" and you obstructing him/disturbing him with a video camera is "attempting to stop a public servant from discharging his duty" = a bailable offense.
Google on the IPC, for further information contact me.

Relax, worst comes to worst, the swift guy will get his bumper repaired for a few hundred rupees.

While if the towing dude presses charges, the magistrate (if the case escalates) will hear the cop & not you.
Improper parking may be a penal offence, but towing a car away is not a criminal matter at all. The IPC doesn't come into play. Nobody in that video is a public servant. A few hundred rupees is a lot to me, even though I have a car. And how can you say what a magistrate would do?

No offense, but your attitude seems to mirror that of the towing guys, IMHO. "Arrey chill yaar, chalta hai sab."

EDIT: You're even advocating using less-than-optimal methods to tow away cars, simply on the basis of cost. The towing business is outsourced anyway; why not impose standards on the contractor?

Last edited by Perakath : 1st May 2009 at 20:22.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 21:23   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Improper parking may be a penal offence, but towing a car away is not a criminal matter at all. The IPC doesn't come into play. Nobody in that video is a public servant. A few hundred rupees is a lot to me, even though I have a car. And how can you say what a magistrate would do?

No offense, but your attitude seems to mirror that of the towing guys, IMHO. "Arrey chill yaar, chalta hai sab."

EDIT: You're even advocating using less-than-optimal methods to tow away cars, simply on the basis of cost. The towing business is outsourced anyway; why not impose standards on the contractor?
Perakath, my explanation on the incident was only on frank's interaction with the towing guys and he could have got into a dicey situation then.

You have missed my drift, he has the connections to escalate the matter to the higher authorities.

My attitute does not reflect chalta hai. Had Frank got into a scrap or altercation with the towing guy, he would have a lot to loose if it snowballed further.

The towing guys are the same anywhere you go, the videos on this thread are ample evidence enough, even if you get them the fancy tilt and lift trucks, they will yet manage to damage the cars, not to forget that they would charge you far more than what they charge at present

Have I advocated less than effective means of towing by any connotation of my post above ? Please explain, the point being put here is that they will not improve, cos they don't want to. Let's not get into fights with them. If you compel them to improve and use better technology, eventually we will again be at the receiving end where the cost of the towing exceeds the repair cost as shown in the video.

FYI - when the cops put out a notification on the dates of a VIP visit or sensitive days such as elections they have the right by notification to clear the road of parked cars, not as of near date but since over 20 years a relative's car was towed away by the cops, explanation given to him was "gaadi kyon rakhte ho agar parking nahi hai ?" This incident occurred very near to Frank's clinic, - Wagh's studio, (Frank, the owner is a friend).

You have missed the point I was making, rather than arguing with the towing guy, Frank should have escalated the matter in a different way, had he got into a fight with the towing guy Frank was at a disadvantage.

Anupam Kher's Padmini was towed from Bandra Searock hotel years ago, he went and complained to the police station stating I had 20 lakhs in my car, they are not there now. I have proof of receiving the same from my producer, here's the agreement.

The cops apologized to him and released his car.

Cheers.

Last edited by mmmjgm : 1st May 2009 at 21:28.
Old 1st May 2009, 21:42   #109
BHPian

Fair enough! I was going to apologise anyway: attacking your 'attitude' was unwarranted and didn't contribute to the discussion at all. I'm sorry.

We could get into a discussion about 'escalating' things using 'connections' and how that itself is a symptom of the canker in our society, but let's not.

As for the less-than-optimal towing thing, that was with reference to your next post, where you said using a 10-lakh tilt-bed towing truck will only result in higher charges for persons whose cars are towed. (I don't know how to quote from a different post when editing!)

I would rather pay a 1,000-rupee fine than a 300-rupee one if it meant that my car is never again towed with the handbrake on. But that's just me.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 22:51   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Fair enough! I was going to apologise anyway: attacking your 'attitude' was unwarranted and didn't contribute to the discussion at all. I'm sorry.

As for the less-than-optimal towing thing, that was with reference to your next post, where you said using a 10-lakh tilt-bed towing truck will only result in higher charges for persons whose cars are towed. (I don't know how to quote from a different post when editing!)

I would rather pay a 1,000-rupee fine than a 300-rupee one if it meant that my car is never again towed with the handbrake on. But that's just me.
Hi Perakath,
My friend, no need to apologize, my whole point is that if you see this icon, this leads one to nowhere. just the mental trauma.

Frank being a close friend, naturally there's concern. Had he pressed further, that dude was all out to hit him, which is in no situation permissible. Would have led to further complications as I have experienced on other events. I would not like that to happen to him.

Even my cars get towed away and I suffer the same fate as you and the Swift owner, but as long as the person who is handling the cars is an uneducated, uncaring person, what can you do about it ?

So far as you have seen in the video that the towing guy despite doing wrong was about to hit a distinguished citizen.

I am equally anguished as you are, perhaps my age and propensity seek to cool matters down before making allegations or accusations. It helps 99%.

FYI - they use that patti to unlock your car from the window, open the car door & release the handbrake before taking off, no way they can tow with the handbrake on, this is if your handbrake is on and is in good condition.

Cheers man, god bless.

M
Old 29th August 2009, 04:40   #111
BHPian

Both sides sides have offerred valid points, the section that supports the cops (or rather offer justifications for their attitude) and the side that is enraged by the way they treat cars.

And I think in a way both are correct but they are basically addressing different issues here. Also I think most of you guys ganged up on starscreamer just because you happen to agree on the complete opposite point.

Let me address the common man's situation here. Damaging your car in the name of towing is unacceptable. Period. When the authorities decide towing as an option to wrong/illegal parking they ought to have taken the actual act and damage front into consideration. Trust me contrary to what most of you believe they are capable of such far sighted thinking. Which they have demonstrated various times. Which brings me to my counterpoint.

Guys just because you had to deal with a few rotten apples doesn't mean you can demean the whole force. You have no idea how much trouble you have to go through if not for them. When you are hanging around the beach late in the night with your girlfriend and the cops question you and ask you to leave you think it is harrassment, however you sit there and some antisocial elements give you trouble, boy you are glad to see that patrol jeep aren't you.

On their behaviour front, when you deal with lowjobs constantly that sometimes does tend to rub off on you. For example lets say you work in a US call center, you get accent training and you talk constantly to Americans in their accent. Lets say you do this for 5 years. Obviously when you speak english on any other occasion that accent might show. Again I'm not justifying are saying that they can behave like lowjobs, however this is usually why they act like that especially lower down the totem pole.
But then most cops have their mind in the right place and know who they are dealing with. It is usually the lowermost cops who behave like that. That does not mean they are bad. Unfortunately their sucesses don't come out in the open a lot. Only their failures do.

At the end of the day, we are still in a 'developing' country and a still lot of things have to fall in place. Trust me we will get there when everything is hunky dory. However it might be your grandkids who reap the benefits. Atleast for them we should start improving induvidually.

Disparities are there. We can only hope they might change. A little bit of compassion is not a bad thing either.

Lets not squabble until then.

BTW @Starscreamer, I absoulutely enjoyed your posts. Where are you buddy?

OT: If you guys watched the movie "Crash" you will know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by fiery enzyme : 29th August 2009 at 04:43.
fiery enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 09:43   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
At the end of the day, we are still in a 'developing' country and a still lot of things have to fall in place. Trust me we will get there when everything is hunky dory. However it might be your grandkids who reap the benefits. Atleast for them we should start improving induvidually.
I beg to differ. For us to change from a developing country to a developed one, among the most primary of details which need to be in order is law enforcement. The rest will surely fall in place following this.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 17:38   #113

Talk about the cops. They are just govt. sponsored goondas. They can do whatever they want on the public they boss on, and even slap false allegations on you. Once the 'topi' gets on their heads, they get the feeling that they are unquestionable. YOu can differentiate one cop (or ex cop) with a common man just by the arrogance.

Now, there are serious crimes that occour in our places than the silly no parking or traffic offences. I agree traffic violators should be punished. So much money and attention is diverted to the traffic offences than anything else.
newinthomas73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:32   #114
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai Towing Service: Is this how our cars are towed?

Last week, near a very popular college in Mumbai, I saw an i10 being towed by the Police. First of all, the handbrake of the car was engaged, the steering of the car was locked and it was parked diagonally.

This is where the cops come in. They break into the car with the traditional metal ruler. Disengage the handbrake. Now they've got another problem. The steering was locked. Without caring, two of the men start pushing the car backwards. The car was still moving diagonally. The traffic had been stalled because of this. In the front of the line was a BEST Bus, patiently waiting for the cops to finish their job.

The two guys who were pushing the car, apparently exerted too much force and they couldn't stop the car, while it hit the BEST bus. The rear bumper was brutally damaged and the a huge dent emerged on the boot. The two men happily laughed it off, as if a cycle had hit a rikshaw, towed the car and went away. Needless to mention, the front bumper would definitely suffer with its share of damages as well.

Now, who's gonna pay for the damages?

Last edited by DeKay : 2nd December 2011 at 21:35. Reason: Typo.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:38   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post

The two guys who were pushing the car, apparently exerted too much force and they couldn't stop the car, while it hit the BEST bus. The rear bumper was brutally damaged and the a huge dent emerged on the boot. The two men happily laughed it off, towed the car and went away. Needless to mention, the front bumper would definitely suffer with its share of damages as well.

Now, what about the damages?
This happens way too often. And the answer of your question lies in your post. Quoting from your post "The two men happily laughed it off, towed the car and went away." That is what will happen. The owner will be forced to claim insurance or whatever way he finds best to get the damage repaired. Although I am sure there will be some section in the law which deals with such issues. But no one in the right mind will even imagine to ask the police for damages.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:46   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This happens way too often. And the answer of your question lies in your post. Quoting from your post "The two men happily laughed it off, towed the car and went away." That is what will happen. The owner will be forced to claim insurance or whatever way he finds best to get the damage repaired. Although I am sure there will be some section in the law which deals with such issues. But no one in the right mind will even imagine to ask the police for damages.
Sure, there might be a section in the law, which deals with such kinds of things, the procedure for a claim or a compensation would be VERY long and tedious.
Plus, I don't think it would even ensure that the poor car owner would get a fair compensation. At least in India, this is how the system works. Or rather doesn't work.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 22:56   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
this is what happens when you put buffalo herders in a tow truck. jackasses.
the pictures remind me of a buffalo with a rope running through its snout.
Hi Boss, I am going to give you the Factual Statement, Actually ALL these Towing vans belong to either police constables, sub-inspectors, inspectors,sr.inspectors,ACP's, maybe even DCP's.
These Towing vans are purchased by them by their ill gotten money earned or got either by regular HAFTAS,Under the table deals,money from Under world guys for protecting them.There are many other ways I may not know of making money for these creeps.In short they are making their Black money White

These vans are either registered in their illiterate wives, younger brother who may be just 10 yrs old,their old feeble father.
This I came to know when once I was issued a bill for the towing charges of 300/- for a No.Parking ofence.
The receipt was having the address as follows.
xxxxx xxxx Towing Service,
19 Kajal Nivas,
Santacruz East.
Mumbai 40000xx.

Pnone No. was a Mobile No. that was disconnected. Van was thane registered and was doing regular business in mumbai that itself is against law,over and above that thane registeration would definately be on a False address of cource as we find 90%of Thane registered vehicles are. Service Tax no was not printed on that cheap paper receipt (means they dont even pay service tax to our govt).
Our govt and service tax dept is fast asleep only to penalize regular and faithful tax payer if he misses any tax to be paid.
Now when these vans start their day in the morning the constable inside the van is told by their that big lord Sr.Inspector to get certain number of towing cases hook by crook. Now to avoid abuses and punishment from his sr. this creep will start doing brisk business by picking up vehicles from no parking zone even when these vehicles were not hampering any flow of traffic, just to impress his Sr and to do as much business as much he can do.
To speed up their business of picking up dropping the vehicles in their parking places came back again to pick up more vehicles their jokers who sit at the back of the vans hook up the cars in the manner shown in the pic.
When the car owner complains of the damage they rant out same lines which their actually illiterate,rowdy Sr. Inspectorstaught them to say to the person who complains of the damage to their cars during process of towing away "Go and tell this damage story in the Court". When you hear this you feel like giving tight ones not one but a dozen on the face of that constable.
I have read in Times of India newspaper some times back and I have cutting of that paper which I will scan it and post it later. It says that a vehicle cannot be towed away if it is not disturbing the flow of traffic. But this notification by High Court is not followed by our Traffic Dept, or they dont want to follow as it will spoil their business.
They play ignorant, I carry it in my wallet and show it to that constable sitting inside the van to read and follow the high court rule otherwise there will be a problem for him and his Sr. if I go to court, and as I have clicked photo of my car being picked up from a place which was not disturbing traffic,I am left out..it has happened at least 4 times.
Regards.........

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 2nd December 2011 at 23:04.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:16   #118
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
I have read in Times of India newspaper some times back and I have cutting of that paper which I will scan it and post it later. It says that a vehicle cannot be towed away if it is not disturbing the flow of traffic. But this notification by High Court is not followed by our Traffic Dept, or they dont want to follow as it will spoil their business.
They play ignorant, I carry it in my wallet and show it to that constable sitting inside the van to read and follow the high court rule otherwise there will be a problem for him and his Sr. if I go to court, and as I have clicked photo of my car being picked up from a place which was not disturbing traffic,I am left out..it has happened at least 4 times.
Regards.........
This is interesting and really helpful. I was not aware of this notification. Thanks for sharing. Please do upload the scanned newspaper article when you get some time.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:23   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This is interesting and really helpful. I was not aware of this notification. Thanks for sharing. Please do upload the scanned newspaper article when you get some time.
Yes sir ji, I will do it as soon as possible, let my scanner come back from service.It is high time to give back to them their own medicine.
Actually if you plead with them they become Tiger from a kitten, just with firm and slight raised voice they give up..Regards.....
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 16:03   #120
BHPian

This incident happened today.
I parked my car outside my college and was just hanging there with my friends when I see a towing van arrive.
There were around 10-12 cars and around 6-8 bikes parked there and the cars are always parked in such a way that they are perpendicular to the footpath, and since the road is curved, the parked cars don't obstruct the traffic at all.
There is a board which says there is no parking between 8 to 12 hours (8am to 12 noon).
Now this van came at 12:25 pm and started picking up all the bikes. Once they were done with the bikes, two guys looked around and pointed to my car and said "isko utha lete hai".
Since I was standing there I said its my car and the traffic constable tells me to move it. I argued saying the board says no parking is only till 12 noon and now its 12:25 and he says you should park it parallel to the footpath. Then they just go away a bit ahead and pick up a WagonR.
I have been parking at the same spot since a year.

What I wanted to ask is : is there any rule which says they can tow away vehicles even after the no parking time period is over and the car isn't obstructing any traffic?
And why do they only target small cars ? If they are so strict then they should use wheels clamps for bigger cars.
I've seen them open cars using a scale and then disengaging the hand brake and push the car out. Is there any rule which states that they are allowed to open a person's car in such a way without his permission?

The month is getting over and it seems as if they want to complete their targets. To hell with the citizens who have to bear this, and to hell with the damage caused to their cars!
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote