Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2005, 19:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

Just got our Palio back from repairsfrom Shaman Auto and they charged me 4K extra and didnot do a very good job either.
Sticking with Anuroop from now on.
They are very courteous and i have spoken with them over the phone and would like to do business with them.
Oh and we have owned all 3 FIT cars.
An Uno D, A siena 1.7 TD, an now own a Palio 1.6 GTX.

Last edited by lamborghini : 24th May 2005 at 19:07.
Old 24th May 2005, 19:07   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor
Hope Fiat is able to mend it's ASS in near future.

This was a bit funny ...

But on a serious note, yeah you are absolutely right. I would suggest you get in touch with Anuroop too. For starters this is their phone number - 28759041. It is in Goregaon.
Old 25th May 2005, 13:45   #63
BHPian

Hmmmm... some views.

Will try to put it down in a structured manner:

1. Petra/ Palio ride quality
People rave about the Petra/ Palio/ Sienna ride quality. Im not sure if it is as much a case of good ride quality as of strong chassis.

The slow speed ride through bad patches is not so great. however the high speed ride feels SOLID which is not the same as GOOD. I have never sat in the back seat of the petra. However my wife has on numerous occassions. She says the rear seat ride is not so great. Even in the front, what I have felt is that it does not glide over bad patches, however, since the chassis is so strong, you feel the car is indestructable. I personally feel the ride is sufficiently stiff to give you feedback on the terrain below.

My tyres also may be causing some of this. Im running on 195/60 R 14 Federals. I have found the car to be very noisy at high speeds through rough patches. maybe the increased contact patch is picking up more noise, or may be the tyre construction itself is noisy. on good roads though the tyre noise is not too bad.

2. The Discount factor & wrong information-
I really dont understand, why we Indians <no offense meant to anyone, and Im counting myself also in this> are so bogged by the need to get discounts. If a car is competetively priced, why do we still need discounts? Shouldnt every transaction be a win win transaction? Arent dealers/ car manufacturers in business to make money? if they dont make money, they will end up like Fiat ;-)

Like someone said, our job is to push the dealer, but its the dealers job to scream when we are pushing beyond realistic limits.

The automagazines also feed this fire of discount hunting by putting in expected dealer discount figures. Auto car says that there are dealer discounts for Petra. But they dont specify in which city!!!

What I have found is that the information in the automagazines about features in the car is not 100% accurate (I think autocar says that Petra does not have rear seat belts, But i have a petra with rear seat belts!! for which I did not pay extra), some of the information is outdated. EG, even after 3 months of the Palio 1.6 going out of productions, these dudes used to list the Palio 1.6 in the new cars section!!!

According to Sundaram, the car price is already at ROCK BOTTOM levels. so why are we begging for more!!!

anyway, these are just ramblings of a satisfied petra owner...... :-)
Old 25th May 2005, 14:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rahul. You are as objective as it comes ... kudos to that.

I feel the same as you about the ride quality when it comes to my position out there as a driver. However my wife and her family have been raving about the rear seat comfort. (I am running stock tyres). Don't know when I will be able to try that back seat out. I would not like anyone else driving the car. And what you said about the dealers is very true. However, I think out here in Mumbai and Pune we get better discounts - being close to the manufacturer etc and thus set the expectations.
Old 25th May 2005, 14:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
However, I think out here in Mumbai and Pune we get better discounts - being close to the manufacturer etc and thus set the expectations.
In Pune and Mumbai, Fiat has more than one dealers, which naturally puts pressure on the dealers to be competitive. In Bangalore, it is sheer monopoly of Sundaram, so the approach is more like "take it or leave it".

Last edited by RX135 : 25th May 2005 at 14:54.
Old 25th May 2005, 14:48   #66
BHPian

Default petra

petra is Cheese
baleno is chalk
Old 25th May 2005, 14:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
In Pune and Mumbai, Fiat has more than one dealers, which naturally puts pressure on the dealers to be competitive. In Bangalore, it is sheer monopoly of Sundaram, so the approach is more like "take it or leave it".
How did I miss that one out. You have kind of put foward the best perspective .....
Old 25th May 2005, 15:30   #68
BHPian

Oooh! Some good feedback about the Petra at last. I'm tickled pink.

And of course, rahulmd makes perfect sense. Why are we Indians (I mean us, collectively) so harsh on the poor dealers? I don't mind a good discount, but after all the dealer has to spend money in maintaining the showroom, paying electricity bills, paying the support folk etc. When buying my Petra, I could have plied the dealer a bit more to get some more freebies, but decided against it. After all, I'll have to go back to him in case I have any issues with the car. And at that point I'll need his full support. Call me insane, but thats the way I look at it.

Latest dev: After a lot of consideration on the finance factor, decided not to zero in on a car loan. ICICI does not have a facility for part pre-payments on your car loan. Either you foreclose the entire amount or keep paying EMI. Didn't like it too much. So went in for a loan against my fixed deposits from a nationalised bank. Now I'm paying just 1% more over and above interest earned on my FD.

My Petra's being delivered to me on May 28th!! (Oh, and I don't know the model number. I think its the ELX PS but won't bet on it. All I know is that its Petrol and comes with ALL the bells and whistles). Don't forget to check out the pics I'll be uploading by next Monday/Tuesday....
Old 25th May 2005, 15:38   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
My Petra's being delivered to me on May 28th!! (Oh, and I don't know the model number. I think its the ELX PS but won't bet on it. All I know is that its Petrol and comes with ALL the bells and whistles). Don't forget to check out the pics I'll be uploading by next Monday/Tuesday....
Great, time to talk about accessorising. What all are you changing or adding?
Old 25th May 2005, 15:55   #70
BHPian

I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to mods. So no mods right now. Well actually, Jay-Vijay is throwing in the mud flaps, matting and glass filming for the car.

Out of my own pocket, will just be getting the car stereo done (from the dealer). I'm stuck in a dilemma between the Sony 2210 and Pioneer 5750 HUs. I think Pioneer scores over Sony on some fronts. Any thoughts?

As for the speakers, the dealer's guy said that the front speakers have to be Fiat OEM standard. He's saying they need to be flat enough so that the window movement is not obstructed. Any truth to this statement?

The rear will be managed by Sony Xplod XS-V6940H (6 * 9, 3 way, 350W peak)

Some pearls of wisdom from all you erudite gentlemen?

(Oh, and talking of gentlemen, do we have any members of the fairer sex in our ranks? Jus' wondering ...)
Old 25th May 2005, 16:37   #71
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure there is no music system in the car? I got one. It is just a cassette player. Planning to go in for a CD changer. That way I preserve the factory fitted unit. The guy I met at Anuroop is recommending a JVC. Let me see. Will finalize sometime soon. Any ideas will be welcome.

Also planning to put in an auto cop ...
Old 25th May 2005, 16:45   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Are you sure there is no music system in the car? I got one. It is just a cassette player. Planning to go in for a CD changer. That way I preserve the factory fitted unit. The guy I met at Anuroop is recommending a JVC. Let me see. Will finalize sometime soon. Any ideas will be welcome.

Also planning to put in an auto cop ...

That may be true of the Euro2 version. One of my gripes with the Euro3 is that it does not come with factory fitted stereo. But then that allows me to customise the sound. So it may be a 'feature' and not a 'bug'.

One accessory at a time for me. I'm planning to install the Autocop after I get the no-claim bonus from my Insurance company.
Old 25th May 2005, 16:53   #73
Senior - BHPian

Oh okay. Keep us posted on the system. And dude, pics when you have them. I am dying to see the Euro three with the 'bells and whistles'.
Old 25th May 2005, 17:30   #74
BHPian

[quote=typeOnegative] Planning to go in for a CD changer. That way I preserve the factory fitted unit. The guy I met at Anuroop is recommending a JVC. Let me see. Will finalize sometime soon. Any ideas will be welcome.
QUOTE]

TypeO..
Go for a 10-CD MP3 changer with RF output.. that way you dont have to worry about compatibility between your existing HU and the changer.. I have been using a Sony 565MXRF, picked up in Dubai for 7.5K INR equivalent with the original FIAT Siena HU, the kind that is embedded in the dashboard. Am very happy with it..
Old 25th May 2005, 19:00   #75
Senior - BHPian

Even Euro-II model did not come with stereo system. To people like me, who got it factory fitted, got it through some corporate discount scheme. EL model does not have Stereo. Go for a nice 6 speaker system. I think, many other accessories come as default fittings on ELX model.
Closed Thread