Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2005, 11:02   #106

Petra Accident Experience

Last saturday on my way to Mumbai, I just happened to take the exit to Lonavala just to have a rainy feel of Lonavala. There I got stuck in massive traffic jam, after getting out of the jam, when I was heading for the Khandala entry for the Express Way, a jackass Tata small truck driver rammed my Petra 1.6EL from behind. After lot of shouting and threatening, the truck guy would'nt shell out any money for repairs so I gave up on him and skipped the cops

On Monday I took my car to Jay-Vijay for reparis, those guys were very helpful and got the contact done with the insurance guys. My car insurance is through Iffco-Tokio, they were also friendly and whole thing, inspection, estimation, etc got over in 4 hours

The bill came down to mind bogling 30K, I am ready to pay that if they my car as good as it was before ;-( . Anyways I prefered Jay-Vijay over Fort-Point Thane cause Fort-Point service sucks big time.

Will update you when the car comes back, Jay-Vijay guy is taking 8 days full to get the repairs done cause of shortage of parts ;-(

regards,
Mahesh Chulet
Old 1st July 2005, 11:12   #107

Another problem that I am facing with my Petra 1.6 EL is auto-revving or auto accelaration, when this happens car simply seems to go crazy and starts auto accelaration as you would accelarate to heat up your old car on a cold winter morning. Accelaration goes up and comes down, this continues to happen till I myself push the accelarator hard ones and then it comes back to its senses.

I showed this problem to Jay-Vijay guys, they did the computerised Car health check but could'nt find any problem. Is anybody here facing the same problem, please help me out with this... thanks in advance

Another thing I wanted to discuss with you guys is the driveability of Petra at slow speeds and heavy bumper to bumper traffic, when I was discussing with a friend of mine why he did'nt go for Petra instead of Esteem he had quoted this reason, I overlooked it at that time, but as I drive around it comes out as a growing concern... what you guys think about it ?
Old 1st July 2005, 11:43   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another problem that I am facing with my Petra 1.6 EL is auto-revving or auto accelaration,
When does this happen? What does Tacho reading when it revvs? One thing I noticed is that, whenever I start the car it revvs at 1100 rpm and slowly comes down to 800rpm (idling) after few seconds. I dont know if it is designed to happen that way.

Quote:
Another thing I wanted to discuss with you guys is the driveability of Petra at slow speeds and heavy bumper to bumper traffic,
I use it in Pune's traffic (compounded with huge potholes these days) and never had any serious concern. It may not be agile like 800, but for its size, it is excellent. Key is choosing your gears correctly. Which car were you using before Petra? And of course, true home for this car is highway.
Old 1st July 2005, 11:55   #109
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One thing I noticed is that, whenever I start the car it revvs at 1100 rpm and slowly comes down to 800rpm (idling) after few seconds. I dont know if it is designed to happen that way.
Standard in almost every MPFi car. Gradually comes down once the engine has heated up.

GTO
Old 1st July 2005, 12:13   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Standard in almost every MPFi car. Gradually comes down once the engine has heated up.

GTO
Thats when you start the car in the mornings or when the engine is cold.....But I have faced this auto revving of the car all of a sudden in the middle of traffic while on the move and at a traffic signal when standing still. The car would just rev to 2500rpm come down to 1500rpm and go back and forth for a few times and then just come down to idle at normal rpm.

I think its got something to do with the chip in the car and its not a problem with the engine. I didnt bother about it coz it a rare happening.
Old 1st July 2005, 12:17   #111
Senior - BHPian

I remember having seen such a post in paliousers yahoogroup. Probably you can search for the message there. The url is http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...India/messages. It definitely looks like the ECU stuff. I remember the person who posted the message saying that he experienced it around 2-3 times in a year.
Old 1st July 2005, 12:47   #112
BHPian

[quote=RX135]When does this happen? What does Tacho reading when it revvs? One thing I noticed is that, whenever I start the car it revvs at 1100 rpm and slowly comes down to 800rpm (idling) after few seconds. I dont know if it is designed to happen that way.

[quote]

Yes This does happen with my Petra EL when the engine is cold specially in the morning, I dont have to use my accelerator for first 100 meters, just use my brakes and clutch because it takes a speed of 20-30 kmpl in 2nd or 3 rd gear with using my gas pedals.
Old 1st July 2005, 13:00   #113
BHPian

The auto revving you are talking about might be because of gum deposits in injectors. In blore it invariably happens if i by mistake fill it up at the IBP pumps.

The engine starts revving all by itself without any reason suddenly. If you switch it off and switch it on, then it starts functioning properly. If the problem is like this, get injectors cleaned or use a injector cleaning additive. And most importantly stick to pumps that you know serve pure fuel.
Old 1st July 2005, 15:00   #114
BHPian

Hi Guys. Carefully read through everything. Maybe, just maybe, I should stop trying to decide between the Swift (already booked) and the Baleno and just go down to Calcutta and pick myself a Petra 1.6 Just 2 concerns- How do I get the car serviced in Sikkim or North Bengal- Siliguri? Secondly, I'll be about 2 Lacks short. Will the SBi finance a car bought in another city?

For Pure, unadulturated driving pleasure and power in the Highways, narrow b grade roads and steep hills, Should i really go in for the Petra instead of the Baleno/ Swift?
Old 1st July 2005, 15:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
Hi Guys. Carefully read through everything. Maybe, just maybe, I should stop trying to decide between the Swift (already booked) and the Baleno and just go down to Calcutta and pick myself a Petra 1.6
a) Make sure that good Fiat service backup is available in Sikkim. I know, it is good in Western region, not so good in South India. Eastern India, never read much about it. So be careful. If A/S/S is going to be a primary concern, Baleno would be wiser deal, since Maruti has broadest service network.
b) The car rocks. Pleasure of driving Petra, that too on highway, is intoxicating

Last edited by RX135 : 1st July 2005 at 15:06.
Old 1st July 2005, 15:53   #116
BHPian

Quote:

For Pure, unadulturated driving pleasure and power in the Highways, narrow b grade roads and steep hills, Should i really go in for the Petra instead of the Baleno/ Swift?
I would say a BIG EMPHATIC YES! I own Palio 1.6 and I know how that car gives me immense pleasure driving it! Its perfect for bad roads and the torque would be great for the hills

Just get your budget and the ASS shorted out!....Upto around 25000 kms, I dont see it giving any mechanical problem. i am saying only 25000 coz that much is what I have driven my Palio without a single problem!
Old 1st July 2005, 16:08   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Dont even think. go for the petra if you have b grade roads and stuff....
Old 1st July 2005, 16:17   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchulet
Another problem that I am facing with my Petra 1.6 EL is auto-revving or auto accelaration, when this happens car simply seems to go crazy and starts auto accelaration as you would accelarate to heat up your old car on a cold winter morning. Accelaration goes up and comes down, this continues to happen till I myself push the accelarator hard ones and then it comes back to its senses.
Hey, I was going to post on this problem. Faced it yesterday. Have faced it before too. I hard revved the car for the rest of the journey and I wasn't troubled. I think it is the ECU. But it could be the injectors as Harrie is saying too. Will be servicing my car next week and will post up a review and the solution to this problem if any.
Old 1st July 2005, 16:17   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmd
Dont even think. go for the petra if you have b grade roads and stuff....
Yes True we are Petra owners and are very happy with the ride quality on bad as well as good roads, but still see all aspects like Service etc because hopefully you will not sell it for next 3-4 years. right?
Old 1st July 2005, 16:19   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it is the hills and bad roads, I dont think either the Baleno or the Swift can hold their own against the Petra. But A.S.S could be a big issue if you are in the East, as RX has rightly pointed out.
Closed Thread