Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2005, 14:39   #31
BHPian

Actually, I blame TypeO for starting this topic which ruined my day yday..
Went out for lunch. A Maruti guy comes and bangs into the back of my Siena. The tow bolt cover breaks and pops out.
Evening on the way home, crawling traffic. a Santro on my right suddenly turns left and rams his front left corner into my back right quarter.. Got a 3 foot long gash on the paintwork. Luckily no dent.
2 incidents in 4+ years and then 2 in one day.. grrrr

My gripes apart, whether it is 2,4,6 or whatever number of wheels, as a nation we are BAAD drivers. Its not just the licensing system. We just do not believe in following discipline, whether it is driving or anything else in life. A manifestation of the famous 'chaltaaa hai'?

Also, believe me I heard this, 'agar kismet main likhaa hai accident main marnaa to accident main hee marenge', so why bother to drive safe!!!
Old 24th May 2005, 14:47   #32
BHPian

Glad to see so many people with the same problem as me

Frankly guys dont you think a Mahindra Jeep would solve all of these problems. I could sit inside and give a damm anout which rick or taxi or bike crosses my way. I would'nt give a damm. For all i know i would maybe get a small scratch the size of a AA battery. No plastics to change, no costly painting... That would be so nice.
One more reason for me to get a Jeep. But if only my dad would listen.

I know GTO is smiling after reading this. Really envy you dude. Cool carefree ride that CJ of yours is.
Old 24th May 2005, 15:01   #33
BHPian

for my next vehicle:
First choice: Mahindra Jeep
But after rationalising about pollution, office purchased car, comfort, etc, will go for Scorpio if nothing else comes up under 10L this year
Old 24th May 2005, 15:08   #34
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR
Looks like Hiranandani, Powai has a lot of bad drivers! Last week, I left my car parked near D-Mart. When I came back I was shocked to find my right-rear door dented. My scratchless, dentless silver Zen was bruised and hurt! Some manical driver (or a woman?) must have had his wheels turned to extreme left while reversing and hence the *kiss* to my car.
Not so bad actually in Hiranandani..if its a weekend, then I agree, it becomes a bloody fun-n-fair kind of atmosphere here. People think of this place as a picnic spot in wonderland or something & come here in hoards..I've seen it myself. O/w it must have been a call centre sumo or indica...the same building houses D-Mart & Wipro Spectramind call center.
Old 24th May 2005, 15:22   #35
BHPian

hey the problem is not with two wheelers or four wheelers the problem is all with the people driving them they drive it as if it's their dad's road. there was my brother's friend who was underage and he was racing from cbd to kharghar and you must be knowing that circle turn the turn which has a fountain the other guy got away by chance but my brother's friend was in 110 and he took turn in his indica lost his control banged the fountain next thing his car flew in air 2 rounds and he was completely injured and the car was totally finished. all this explains that it is the attitude and the confidence of the commuters whcih leads to these accidents. they dont care if another car is scratched they only want to think about their own
Old 24th May 2005, 16:03   #36

come on guys..
all bikers aint that bad.
many have narrted your experience of a 2 wheeler banging a parked car..
well my experience was somewhat the opposite of this...

an indica..when reversing hit my bike..and obviously my bike fell off the main stand
the damages.. deep gash on the right side of the tank..
a number of small scarches on the tank
front mudguard cracked..
a small crack developed on the left panel of the bike!!!
besides most females driving 4 wheelers are at any point in time more dangerous than a biker on the road

bottom line is there are good and bad bikers as well as good and bad drivers!!
not all bikers are hell bent on creatin havoc on roads while not all drivers are angels sent upon the face of the earth!
Old 24th May 2005, 16:32   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
besides most females driving 4 wheelers are at any point in time more dangerous than a biker on the road
come to pune I'll show you woman driving two wheelers after that you'll think woman in 4 wheelers are the safest
Old 24th May 2005, 18:49   #38
BHPian

At the risk of sounding defeatist and fatalistic.... I would like to add:

" Jab jab , jo jo hona hai..
tab tab... woh woh hoga"

I personally feel, the best u can do is drive safely and more importantly defensively.... do your best.. and beyond that.. just chill

I know it really pains when u see that first scratch... my mind was racing with fiercly wild thots when my car recd the its first scratch by way of a scrape from this sumo guy.... but frankly.. not worth it... so relax....

cheers
Old 24th May 2005, 18:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
come to pune I'll show you woman driving two wheelers after that you'll think woman in 4 wheelers are the safest
I agree, adya! If you take off the "dangerous" part from it, it is actually hilarious to watch, especially when some of them turn on right indicator and take a left turn as they remember something at the last moment.
Old 24th May 2005, 19:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hey TypeOne,
Just got our Palio back today and the estimate for the car came up to 18K (but ours had proper noticeable damages).
They charged us 4K extra because instead of replacing the rear tail loght cover, they replaced the whole tail light to the NV one so now even the car looks wierd.
Also they did not do a proper job. I am talking about Shaman here.
Old 24th May 2005, 19:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Hey TypeOne,
Just got our Palio back today and the estimate for the car came up to 18K (but ours had proper noticeable damages).
They charged us 4K extra because instead of replacing the rear tail loght cover, they replaced the whole tail light to the NV one so now even the car looks wierd.
Also they did not do a proper job. I am talking about Shaman here.
Hey that sucks dude. What happened to your car? :(

The estimate from Anuroop was 1,400. Have not gone to them yet ... will let you know about the service when I get around to that. They said it will take an hour. Angad did not have the part. LOL.
Old 24th May 2005, 19:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you guys handle such situations? Frankly speaking I wanted to thrash both of them. I am so pissed off I cannot work.
I usually avoid them. Never overtake them or come in their way, unless you're sure there's enuf run off area (just in case).

If a biker tries to race you, let him win (except on open highways at 7am hahaha). Infact while comming back from Mangalore, met such a guy who was trying to race me in heavy traffic, though his TVS Victor was seriously underpowered, he tried to make up with some risky moves, i just stuck to my usual driving and let him overtake me.

Even a slight contact with my car at 80-90kmph and he'd have gone straight up.

Shan2nu
Old 24th May 2005, 19:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reminds of 2 things.
- Our Palio was hit by a biker too and the whole left side up till the front door had some sign of damage and the roof and bonnet too had some damage thanks to the rider who fell and dented them both.I was not there but if i was there i would have made sure they never left the Hospital even if they recovered.
- A drunk and drugged homeless guy with a natural stick came and broke the tail light Garnish of our Brand new Lancer when we were moving in the middle of Lamington road.
Later when we saw the damage while getting the tyres changed, our driver went to find the drunkard but he had run away.
On the bright side, we had found him yesterday and beat the living **** out of him.
Typeone,
hopefully this will help understand what happened to the car.
Also the othr side also got bruised while parking in the worst garage possible.
Old 24th May 2005, 19:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Typeone,
hopefully this will help understand what happened to the car.
Also the othr side also got bruised while parking in the worst garage possible.
Oh ... I thought this was some new damage. Sorry for the goof up.

Shan2nu - dude what if you are not racing ? ... just taking a harmless turn or are stationary? :(
Old 24th May 2005, 19:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu - dude what if you are not racing ? ... just taking a harmless turn or are stationary?
Always expect the unexpected. That's the only way to survive indian traffic. Stop your car at the side of the road, take a good look and then turn.

Been driving since 99 and not a single scratch, shove or dent (from my side). All the things on the Vtec are courtesy, "MOM". Hehe

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 24th May 2005 at 19:36.
Closed Thread