Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: 0-1600 cc in Infinity time to choose
Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX 109 35.86%
Fiat Siena 1.6 15 4.93%
Maruti Suzuki Baleno 88 28.95%
Chevrolet Optra 1.6 36 11.84%
Opel Corsa 1.6 0 0%
Opel Corsa Sail 1.6 4 1.32%
Hyundai Accent 1.6 Tornado/GLS 3 0.99%
Hyundai Accent Viva 5 1.64%
Ford Ikon 1.6 31 10.20%
Ford Fusion 1.6 13 4.28%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2005, 20:35   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
More like rolling over in sleep. I would consider it woken up when their web site shows current selling models and I see regular ADs in newspaper and TV and increase in their dealer network and quality of A/S/S. Can you believe Karnataka has only two Fiat dealers?
Though I am saying this in a tech-savvy forum, I would give much less weightage to having online website. I know it is absolutely essential to have one, but I am sure not even 20% of buyers go and check the websites. Cars are still bought from word of mouth publicity and personal experiences. (20% estimate is on far higher side).

I see regular ADs from Fiat and few hoardings for Adventure Sports. New CEO is making concious efforts to stay in media. (Check the press and you'll see some Fiat news.) Still, it is distant from what is required to turn it around, but at least they are moving. What they need is a new model and an aggressive media campaign. I'll not be surprised if they do that in near future though.
RX135 is offline  
Old 4th August 2005, 21:08   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Though I am saying this in a tech-savvy forum, I would give much less weightage to having online website. I know it is absolutely essential to have one, but I am sure not even 20% of buyers go and check the websites. Cars are still bought from word of mouth publicity and personal experiences. (20% estimate is on far higher side).

I see regular ADs from Fiat and few hoardings for Adventure Sports. New CEO is making concious efforts to stay in media. (Check the press and you'll see some Fiat news.) Still, it is distant from what is required to turn it around, but at least they are moving. What they need is a new model and an aggressive media campaign. I'll not be surprised if they do that in near future though.
Always remember what Warren Buffet said ..............."Turnarounds Seldom Turn"...hope Fiat is an exception
Buffetfan is offline  
Old 4th August 2005, 21:14   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
adya33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Though I am saying this in a tech-savvy forum, I would give much less weightage to having online website. I know it is absolutely essential to have one, but I am sure not even 20% of buyers go and check the websites. Cars are still bought from word of mouth publicity and personal experiences. (20% estimate is on far higher side).
now a days people are starting to realise the power of internet

while buying our Accord I prefered to use the internet mainly because:
1. you get information directly from the company
2. you can compare two manufacturers spaces directly (from both websites)
3. you get to know which feature is missing from which car & etc
4. you don't have dealer constantly trying to tell you how their car is better than others & you get to compare them & not the salseman

so I think that it is extrememly important to have a website now a days
adya33 is offline  
Old 4th August 2005, 21:24   #94
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chd
Posts: 289
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Please look at the current Maruti Annual Report (got to seb...they have publisehd a feature on a person who got sandwitched between two large vehicles...in a Baleno...with his family... the Car was a writoff but he and his family members were able to come out of the car by opening the doors normally...the doors did not Jam and no one was hurt...

http://202.134.195.35/sb/annualrepo...?ch=4&ct=8&sc=0

Not Saying that Baleno is the safest car on Road...but it is not made of designer paper either !!!
Thanks Buffetfan for the info.

I have always thought that the Baleno is not meant to be disparaged for it's safety (or the lack of it)..
Agreed it's not the safest car around, but it's no slouch. People tend to carry over the experience with Zen and esteem to Baleno also.

Imo the Baleno is a premium product from Maruti, hence they would put atleaset some safety features in it.
imjimmy is offline  
Old 4th August 2005, 21:27   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
v1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR - chasing cars...
Posts: 4,836
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinn25
hi guys i have a palio 1.6 gtx 2002 model done 12000 km bought for Rs195000 fitted a k&n replacement filter , iridium plugs , headers from automech, poured in mobil1, & gave her new shoes bridgestone 195/60/r14. AFTER DOING ALL THIS WHICH SET ME BACK AROUND Rs30000/- she screws any lancer,city,ikon,optra, (swift,getz,zen,esteem shud not be considered at all) on the road guys what more wud u want after spending only Rs225000/- and blowing dust on those who have spend 6-7 lacks to built thier machines & finally remaining totally
stock
I appreciate the fact that you have a nice car, and that you got a great deal on it.

Please do not tell us that your car "screws" anything here. There are members here who can build you a 200bhp car for 2 lakhs, which will outrun anything produced in India.

I see this is your first post. Welcome aboard. Please go through the announcements section.
v1p3r is offline  
Old 5th August 2005, 03:19   #96
BHPian
 
vivek.singh.73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Noida
Posts: 258
Thanked: 2 Times
Thumbs down

All Baleno Lovers - Pls. check out the crash test of Baleno - one of the worst

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=2&id2=42

I had been saying this all this while..that its flimsy build !!
vivek.singh.73 is offline  
Old 5th August 2005, 07:00   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73
All Baleno Lovers - Pls. check out the crash test of Baleno - one of the worst

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=2&id2=42

I had been saying this all this while..that its flimsy build !!
yup...but the crash test was done in a vehicle without Air Bags and ABS...absence of these automatically reduces the rating...
Buffetfan is offline  
Old 5th August 2005, 07:23   #98
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73
All Baleno Lovers - Pls. check out the crash test of Baleno - one of the worst

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=2&id2=42

I had been saying this all this while..that its flimsy build !!
It was done without ABS and airbags against rivals with ABS and airbags. Hence the low score.

Why don't you show the crash test data for Petra/Sienna/Palio, would really like to see that.
Samurai is offline  
Old 5th August 2005, 08:59   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Baleno for me....will eat GTXs and Ikon for lunch any day....and will stay in a sinlgle piece while doing so....

Ikon is a good handler...but too unreliable and is slow compared to Baleno..

GTX....Bone Jarring ride and still cannot beat Baleno....

Baleno is the fastest and the most fuel efficient and most reliable....is a very good handler too with wider tyres...what more can a man want !!!!



Per ACI figures.. Baleno is faster then either of them....

.and before people start harping about 0-100 time of sienna..please remember that Fiat launched so many variants and so many different tunings for its cars that they themselves do not remember...leave aside anyone else keeping a track...
Buffetfan is offline  
Old 5th August 2005, 09:58   #100
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 529
Thanked: 12 Times
Thumbs up

i would choose Optra 1.6...
Well not because i own one...
i have driven almost all the cars in the list, but u feel safe in optra its good on corners at high speed and its Fast too...
i also liked palio and Viva...
Opel Corsa 1.6 is also good...
i dont know why but never liked Baleno shape...

Last edited by zulfikar : 5th August 2005 at 10:01.
zulfikar is offline  
Old 5th August 2005, 10:25   #101
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 2 Times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Please look at the current Maruti Annual Report (got to seb...they have publisehd a feature on a person who got sandwitched between two large vehicles...in a Baleno...with his family... the Car was a writoff but he and his family members were able to come out of the car by opening the doors normally...the doors did not Jam and no one was hurt...

http://202.134.195.35/sb/annualrepor...ch=4&ct=8&sc=0

Not Saying that Baleno is the safest car on Road...but it is not made of designer paper either !!!
Good for baleno.
It looks like a fine car and I somehow like its looks.
What i know about baleno is what the forum members write about it.
I will have to drive it along long stretches sometime.
v_s_natarajan is offline  
Old 5th August 2005, 12:59   #102
BHPian
 
vivek_pinkoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 194
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Most of the things are good about Baleno but what about ground clerance? Is it able to handle bad roads as well?

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 5th August 2005 at 13:03.
vivek_pinkoo is offline  
Old 6th August 2005, 00:06   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo
Most of the things are good about Baleno but what about ground clerance? Is it able to handle bad roads as well?
170 mm...till now has not scraped any beakers..better than my UNo for sure...but dont know abt other cars
Buffetfan is offline  
Old 6th August 2005, 00:53   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
merve_extreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,360
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
It was done without ABS and airbags against rivals with ABS and airbags. Hence the low score.

Why don't you show the crash test data for Petra/Sienna/Palio, would really like to see that.
does the Baleno have ABS in India???.Palio and its variants are not sold in Europe so someone will have to bang one in the wall or ask someone who had the privilage of banging both the baleno and the palio in the wall.
merve_extreme is offline  
Old 6th August 2005, 09:02   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
does the Baleno have ABS in India???.Palio and its variants are not sold in Europe so someone will have to bang one in the wall or ask someone who had the privilage of banging both the baleno and the palio in the wall.
Baleno does not have ABS in India...but at least has some crash test data...while none is avaialble for these safe Fiat cars......it is like classic "what you dont know wont hurt you" situation
Buffetfan is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1600 RPM at start - Swift Dzire Zxi sudhirlp Technical Stuff 19 17th November 2015 08:50
Mrf F-1600 khanak Indian Motorsport 28 21st December 2009 09:52
Baleno Engine Vibration and Sound @ 1600 RPM Traveler Technical Stuff 11 25th October 2008 20:16
Super 1600 Saloon Car Racing Series to start soon Rtech Indian Motorsport 87 27th June 2007 16:58
Honda CBR 1600 rr...????!!! veyron1 Superbikes & Imports 8 5th January 2006 09:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks