Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2005, 18:47   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Puff,
put some nice alloys on her withe broad tyres and a spoiler and she will look better...
I bought my black balneo a month ago.....to me the car looks awesome....upgrades always keep happening...remember that the price you will get after the upgrade wont be teh same
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2005, 19:03   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
put some nice alloys on her withe broad tyres and a spoiler and she will look better...
I bought my black balneo a month ago.....to me the car looks awesome....upgrades always keep happening...remember that the price you will get after the upgrade wont be teh same
Will the price increase or decrease???
Quote:
Aseem, The data was reg 100 kgs was a typo..Swift is 10 (upto 35 depending on the model) Kgs heavier than the Baleno.
.
Swift MIGHT be a safer car to have a crash in...I have no data to compare...

DO NOT AGREE about performance edge compared to Baleno in ANY gear...maybe you did NOT read my post..neither Esteem nor swift...in fact least of all swift can be compared to the Baleno....
All data is from ACI...so feel free to refute their trustworthiness...however, I believe them over indiacar website....
If Indiacar can be wrong, so can ACI. So lets get data's from other Magazines. Even BSMOTORING states that Esteem is faster in 0-100 dash.

Quote:
Test figures are also academic to a large extent ..

# how often do you have the roads to accelerate from 0 to 100 seamlessly
# and how many times in those occassions would you have an esteem and a baleno and a swift side by side
# and in how many such cases would drivers of either cars be racing ?
# and how many of those drivers would have the capability to shift accurately enuff to achieve those test times in the few instances we have such a race ?

For all practical driving situations the odd second here and there hardly matters .. what probably does matter most is driveability .. and (i forgot to add) decent performance (preferably with AC on ) so that the car doesn't feel sluggish ..
Couldnt agree more. Having driven all three cars, I feel that Swift is the most comfortable car when it comes to driving. It has more width, better dashboard and much more smoother ride than the other two.
The Esteem feels faster than all of them, as when Esteem is on 100 it feels like its going 140. For Baleno when its on 100 it feels like 120 and Swift feels like 60 when its traveling at 100.
The Swift steering lacks feedback, I prefer the Esteem steering over Swift.
The Esteem lacks good breaking, Swift has the best breaking of the lot.

And lastly, I just dont like the looks of Baleno, specially from the back. After coming to this Forum, I had begun to appreciate the Baleno as most users here seem to love it. However I saw a New Honda City and Baleno side by side the other day, and I just couldnt get myself to like the Baleno. Even though it might have a performing Engine, but its got a really ugly butt. I hope they do upgrade the looks of this car, but if they do, Maruti Bashers will call it old wine in new Bottle and say that the technology of the engine is 5 years old etc. What ppl dont understand is that a good engine is a good engine, and it doesnt matter how old it is. 16 Valve are better than 12. Aluminium Engine is better than non aluminium.

Rest if performance is the only criteria and budget is around 6.5 lakhs, than I would go for the Ford Fusion with my eyes closed. Its got a better suspension than the Baleno, its got fatter tyres, and most of all the DURATEC engine with over 100 horses.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2005, 20:15   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Baleno wont be given a facelift. maruti is bringing in the suzuki Liana and another sedan(most probably aerio) to replace the aging esteem and baleno.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2005, 23:44   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

You love swift...I love Baleno...to each his own...
In terms of width, Baleno and Swift are same (1690 mm)...in terms of space inside the cabin..Baleno has quite a bit.
Swift dash is better looking but the recess on the Baleno dash is very practical. Baleno feels 100 when doing 100...no clue about swift here...but Baleno does not feel appreciably faster /twitchy...In fact it is one of the best handling car I have driven
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 14:58   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gangtok, Sikkim
Posts: 249
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Yeah Buffet, I plan to put a set of 14" alloys with Bridgestone Potenzas. am going thru the Aura and Neo sites presently. It's just that I'm getting sleepless nights thinking about my own color choice....

Great 'bout Ur Black Baleno. I too, really really wanted the Baleno in Black but my sis and Mom conspired against me and firmly gave me an ultimatum that if I got a black car, they wouldn't ride in it- Pleaded to no avail. ( After all Mom IS putting in Lakh fifty for it) Finally reluctantly went in for the "pearl Silver" as Silky Silver is too common around here and Beam Blue is just too ugh!

Guess it does look kinda stately and won't show dirt as much and ummm, that's bout it. It's and old man's color. But a clean, shiny Black Baleno Rocks! Even White dosen't look too bad. Realised I shoulda booked a white one. Tried to change my color choice with the dealer 2 days later but was informed that i couldn't do it coz the veh was already on the way from Gurgaon. I'm feeling sick!
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 15:24   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chd
Posts: 289
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Great 'bout Ur Black Baleno. I too, really really wanted the Baleno in Black but my sis and Mom conspired against me and firmly gave me an ultimatum that if I got a black car, they wouldn't ride in it- Pleaded to no avail
He he ..something similar happened to me. Though the outcome was different and i won in the end and got my way ( read black baleno).

Quote:
. Realised I shoulda booked a white one. Tried to change my color choice with the dealer 2 days later but was informed that i couldn't do it coz the veh was already on the way from Gurgaon. I'm feeling sick!
Chill Dude. A 'pearl silver' Baleno is also good. According to dealers it's the most selling colour and easiest to maintain.

So you will have to fork out less moolah in case you happen to scratch it!
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 15:29   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chd
Posts: 289
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
You love swift...I love Baleno...to each his own...
In terms of width, Baleno and Swift are same (1690 mm)...in terms of space inside the cabin..Baleno has quite a bit.
I have both the swift and the Baleno. For my daily driving it's the swift.

And i can tell ya..it feels stale after a Baleno.

Dunno but you never feel the adrenalin kick in when you accelerate with the swift. Maybe it's coz the car is too stable - it hardly feels it's running at 80 Kmph. It almost feels lethargic. It's good for a single person. But there's hardly any boot.

In terms of performance it can't hold a candle against the Baleno!
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 16:16   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
I have both the swift and the Baleno. For my daily driving it's the swift.

And i can tell ya..it feels stale after a Baleno.

Dunno but you never feel the adrenalin kick in when you accelerate with the swift. Maybe it's coz the car is too stable - it hardly feels it's running at 80 Kmph. It almost feels lethargic. It's good for a single person. But there's hardly any boot.

In terms of performance it can't hold a candle against the Baleno!
Precisely my point, the Swift feels like its doing 60 when at 100kmph and with Baleno the car feels like 120 when doing 100kmph. Thats why you never feel the adrenaline rush of Esteem or Baleno on Swift. With fatter tyres and more weight and a finely tuned engine, the car feels too stable and never gives you the feel that you are on unsafe speeds.
However the stats dont lie, in the 0-100 dash against Baleno, its just 0.4 seconds off the Baleno, showing that the performance gap in the most commonly driven speeds is non existant. It gives other cars like Fiat Petra, Ikon, Accent run for their money at this speed band.

Last edited by aseem : 30th July 2005 at 16:19.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 23:15   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
Yeah Buffet, I plan to put a set of 14" alloys with Bridgestone Potenzas. am going thru the Aura and Neo sites presently. It's just that I'm getting sleepless nights thinking about my own color choice....

Great 'bout Ur Black Baleno. I too, really really wanted the Baleno in Black but my sis and Mom conspired against me and firmly gave me an ultimatum that if I got a black car, they wouldn't ride in it- Pleaded to no avail. ( After all Mom IS putting in Lakh fifty for it) Finally reluctantly went in for the "pearl Silver" as Silky Silver is too common around here and Beam Blue is just too ugh!

Guess it does look kinda stately and won't show dirt as much and ummm, that's bout it. It's and old man's color. But a clean, shiny Black Baleno Rocks! Even White dosen't look too bad. Realised I shoulda booked a white one. Tried to change my color choice with the dealer 2 days later but was informed that i couldn't do it coz the veh was already on the way from Gurgaon. I'm feeling sick!
Puff...dont you fret over that one...Pearl silver is the largest selling color and couple of friends in hyd too have gone for it despite me pleading with them....guess black is also considered inauspicious....
Pearl silver will be the easiest to resell since it is the fastest moving color and maybe you will also get a slightly higher resale value.... black can really look old and ugly if not given TLC every day...catches up scratches the fastest....
Every color has its advantages and disadvantages....you have made a good choice...nothing to loose sleep over!!!
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 23:25   #40
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Talking News About Baleno Makeover

Well i just spoke with a Maruti guy whom i know very very well and he gave me an insight of the car.

Firstly - the tyres have been upgraded to 195/60/R14 on Alloys

The Rear has been redesigned. The front has been slightly re-touched up.

The length is the same though but the car looks better then before.

Now for the good news.

There is going to be a special edition known as the Limited edition version. They(Maruti say that they are going to take direct combination to the swift)

The 1600cc engine has been Turbo/Super Charged and the power output has gone from 94bhp to 130 bhp. The car is expected to go from 0 - 100 in 8.x secs. In order to keep th ecar stable till 200kmph(expected top speed by maruti) the car is going to be riding on 205/60/R15. The Suspension has been tweaked for performance and Maruti wishes to take competition direct to skoda at half the price. Other features the car will be having is Sun/Moon Roof. MP3 player, ABS, Air Bags, TCS(first for a desi Maruti) and Recaro buket seats. The car is going to be given a very sporty look. Expect the price to go up by Rs. 1 Lakh(from VXi) on this limited edition model, if succesful will turn into continous production. Watch this space for more. Cheers
juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2005, 23:50   #41
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,301 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan
There is going to be a special edition known as the Limited edition version. They(Maruti say that they are going to take direct combination to the swift)
I hope you are not pulling our chain, that sounds so un-maruti like to offer so much goodies with utter disregard to FE.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2005, 01:38   #42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan
Well i just spoke with a Maruti guy whom i know very very well and he gave me an insight of the car.

Firstly - the tyres have been upgraded to 195/60/R14 on Alloys

The Rear has been redesigned. The front has been slightly re-touched up.

The length is the same though but the car looks better then before.

Now for the good news.

There is going to be a special edition known as the Limited edition version. They(Maruti say that they are going to take direct combination to the swift)

The 1600cc engine has been Turbo/Super Charged and the power output has gone from 94bhp to 130 bhp. The car is expected to go from 0 - 100 in 8.x secs. In order to keep th ecar stable till 200kmph(expected top speed by maruti) the car is going to be riding on 205/60/R15. The Suspension has been tweaked for performance and Maruti wishes to take competition direct to skoda at half the price. Other features the car will be having is Sun/Moon Roof. MP3 player, ABS, Air Bags, TCS(first for a desi Maruti) and Recaro buket seats. The car is going to be given a very sporty look. Expect the price to go up by Rs. 1 Lakh(from VXi) on this limited edition model, if succesful will turn into continous production. Watch this space for more. Cheers
Juan,

Is this information correct (I hope it is)? If so, by when is this expected to hit the market?

Cheers
rvalluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2005, 09:47   #43
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Well even i could not believe this. But maruti says that this will be limited. TIme is being taken to get the car tuned properly for performance. First its going to be the New Baleno without the Limited version and later Maruti Might get it. I hope they do.
juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2005, 23:28   #44
BHPian
 
vivek.singh.73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Noida
Posts: 258
Thanked: 2 Times
Thumbs up

wow it sounds too good to be true, anyone can outline when to expect this beauty?? I am planning to buy adventure sports/Baleno/Marina is next week, should I wait or is it going to take forever to hit the road?

Thanks in Advance

Vivek
vivek.singh.73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2005, 01:22   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,099
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73
wow it sounds too good to be true, anyone can outline when to expect this beauty?? I am planning to buy adventure sports/Baleno/Marina is next week, should I wait or is it going to take forever to hit the road?

Thanks in Advance

Vivek
Vivek,
you have already posted in the Vote...Which Car did you buy in 2005...that you bought a fiat Adventure sport...

Either your vote is incorrect...or your current posting is !!!!
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Baleno Makeover R.K.Ramesh Modifications & Accessories 134 5th December 2017 15:07
Toyota's Image Makeover Samurai The Indian Car Scene 16 24th February 2005 15:21
Isuzu Panther (Chevrolet Panther) gets a makeover v12 The International Automotive Scene 3 3rd November 2004 15:29
Elantra to get a makeover adityapd The Indian Car Scene 8 9th June 2004 16:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks