Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th April 2009, 00:40   #16
BHPian

Maruti has continued with 800 for more than 20 years now, so the expereince says that Maruti will not upgrade a product till its sales goes down below 1000 units per month.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 01:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
To hell with the premium hatch bs our markets have cooked up! The swift invented that concept in India, and the new swift with a bigger engine is eagerly waited, maruti are you listening?
Invented the concept? Actually, Swift was much late entrant in that space.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 01:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

i think this is one of those 'dream on' threads.
Maybe there's already a thread on this topic already.
IMO, 1.5/1.6 won't happen.
But, that K12 engine should happen pretty soon. So, a 1.3 to 1.2, fellas. Rejoice!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 08:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, the design of the Swift (atleast the hatchback) is very nice and proportionate. If you consider the improvement in interior space, there is a new 2010 Swift on its way to the world markets and will be launched at the Paris Motor Show. I am not sure if Maruti will launch as soon as other markets get it, looking at their previous record.
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 08:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

1) I doubt that i10 were able to eat into Swift's sales. Its Santro that is most affected.

2) Swift's current petrol powertrain is good. Its not best for the city where the short stroke motor is not at hope and is inherently weaker at bottom end. This was felt even in Esteem. But for highway motoring, its excellent. Despite the high gearing, the engine comes alive after 3k-3.5 rpm and can do real high speeds without being strained.

3) The K12M might be good on paper, but the real joy is the Swift's motor's free-revving nature and ability to be happy at high rpm. I doubt that K12M will have same nature. I believe that Swift's success mainly comes from its looks and the good engine. The engine matches Swift's image and character.

4) The new Swift is expected around 2010 ( internet news and grapevine, also once mentioned in ACI ). This might have better motors. May be the A-star's motor with one more cylinder.

5) What Suzuki needs to do is this : Plonk the M16A with VVT, around 107-108 bhp in SX4 and then put the M16A without VVT in Swift.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 10:03   #21
BHPian

Actually I read in Autobild issue of March that the new Swift is around the corner, possibly in 2010. It will have the contoured proportions of the existing but will address the problems of space with a longer wheel base. That will then be an awesome combination of space and looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
+1 to that. There has to be an upgrade.

The sport is a beauty. Any specific reason as to why Maruti is not looking into this option. Its been 4 years since the swift has been launched here.
nurni76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 10:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

MUL is not the best at replacing or discontinuing models. Look at the 800, it has been around for decades. When they did replace the Zen, they created a disaster. They did a good job with the Baleno to SX4 move but thats about it.
If history is anything to go by, I expect the Swift to be around for a whiiille, over a decade with the same body.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 14:58   #23
BHPian

new engine or body, MUL as to think seriously about that famous rattles in the swifts!!!!
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 20:54   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A minor Swift facelift will come in due time, just don't expect any radical changes. I'd say:

- Dual-tone interiors for the Swift are welcome as well
- 1.2 engine should logically make its way into the Swift. The Swift P unit is really getting long in the tooth now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
The launch of the i10 did eat into their numbers, mostly the mileage consious people moved to the i10
Swift Diesel to Petrol sales ratio is 65:35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Invented the concept? Actually, Swift was much late entrant in that space.
Let's say it was the first to taste mass-volume & success at that price point?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 22:16   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
new engine or body, MUL as to think seriously about that famous rattles in the swifts!!!!
Body i believe there will be no changes, as it is one of the reason to become famous all over world due to the design.

The engine might be having a few changes and coming to the Rattling i guess MUL will think a lot to stop this in the vehicle and will surely succeed.

Last edited by gowda79 : 28th April 2009 at 22:16. Reason: Oopsy ur 800th post - :)
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote