Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 16:26   #31
BHPian
 
Aiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Bombay
Posts: 168
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
I have a 2001 model Santro LS which I bought in Bombay. Am based in BLR for the last few years now and would like to get the same registered in BLR.

How do I calculate the road tax I would need to shell out, since I do not have the original invoice (I bought a pre-owned car, Bombay resale prices being substantially lower than Bangalore). Also the specific model is no longer in production (this is before the Xing).

Any inputs in this context would be appreciated.
As the owner of a 2001 Zen with MH registration, I had paid about 31K as tax here. In the RC book, there was a figure about 4.04 lakhs scribbled, which was used to calculate the tax.

I also did not have the invoice (misplaced my copy and the dealership lost its copy in the floods of 2005) or the NOC. I had gone through an agent, who finished the whole procedure in about 1/2 an hour.
Aiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 18:01   #32
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Well, Not really necessary, but keep the toll receipts handy all the time (cops on vigil @hosur road big time) !!

I am myself running an AP registered car in bangalore since december 08, and not faced any problem till date.. never got caught in city or anywer, but Hosur road is the border and cops r always there expecting easy money .. so keep ur toll receipts and fill petrol in TN when u r there .. cheaper and also u ll have 1 more reason to prove ur from TN !!
Thanks for the reply, will do the same.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 18:17   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Ideal solution is to keep the car with the TN registration and drive it once in a while to TN & back.
What if the car is Goa registered and i get toll receipts from Tamilnadu?

The cops will know i am trying to outsmart them, but can they challenge my Toll receipts from Tamil Nadu and that the vehicle has a Goa registration.

For all i care i was beamed down by the aliens from Goa to Tamil Nadu. How i got there and how long have been there should be none of their concern. Its come from a different state thats it.

Getting my Dad's ANHC to Bangalore. The tax to be paid would be around 1 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Imagine the plight of, say, a defence officer, who get moved all over the country.
Vehicles owned by Defence and Central Government folks are exempt from paying the tax in every state they get transferred to.

Last edited by Spitfire : 30th June 2009 at 18:20.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 22:10   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

@ gopinathann & spitfire
Vehicles with TN plates will always invite special attention, especially during times of trouble which are interstate in nature. I can vouch for this from experience.

We were a group of four people suddenly transferred to our Bangalore office to replace four other guys who left on VRS. All of us had bikes and we pondered all the ruses. Some worked for some time. One guy even had his TN number plate written in Kannada and got away for a while!

We were informed by our local boss that cops will generally note down the numbers of vehicles with other state number plates in their beat, and numbers which crop up on a regular basis will be handed over to the RTO. Suddenly one fine day a squad from the RTO will intercept and seize the vehicle and then there will be hell to pay. I don't know if this was true, but did not want to take a chance and paid the tax. So weigh your decisions carefully. Good luck!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 23:46   #35
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What if the car is Goa registered and i get toll receipts from Tamilnadu?

The cops will know i am trying to outsmart them, but can they challenge my Toll receipts from Tamil Nadu and that the vehicle has a Goa registration.

For all i care i was beamed down by the aliens from Goa to Tamil Nadu. How i got there and how long have been there should be none of their concern. Its come from a different state thats it.
Well, nothing stops you (or anybody else) from doing this. TN has the advantage of having a toll plaza at Krishnagiri(<100 km from Bangalore). You can say you are touring the country.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 11:29   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Bikes will face more problem than cars in bangalore. I drive my TN registered Fiesta in Bangalore for around 2 yrs, never faced any issues. But, i always carry Toll receipts and petrol bills to prove in case i caught by traffic police or RTO. But, i have a fear in my mind and hesitate to take car for a deep drive inside Bangalore.

But, KA or any other state cars can run without fear inside TN.
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 11:36   #37
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,890
Thanked: 9,723 Times
Default

Another thing the RTO does is scour major companies. Once they politely arrived at our gates and requested to view all vehilces parked, They singled out the out of state vehciles. The owners were called out and the RTO folks politely advised them to file for LTT and gave advice on the process.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 11:58   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Vehicles with TN plates will always invite special attention
Mine is Goa registered GA. The cops/rto get confused for a sec or so thinking its KA. I have been lucky with my Classic as long as I had it in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Well, nothing stops you (or anybody else) from doing this. TN has the advantage of having a toll plaza at Krishnagiri(<100 km from Bangalore). You can say you are touring the country.
Worth a shot then. If i start getting harassed then send the car back.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 13:54   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Mine is Goa registered GA.
The first line of my post was meant for Gopi!

The last para was meant for you both.

The one possible way for you both is to claim you live in Hosur and commute to B'lore everyday for work. And carry a suitable "proof" for your residence!

Last edited by Gansan : 1st July 2009 at 13:58.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 14:13   #40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Be a member of AASI, they would do re-registration free of cost (you need to pay only the expenses stipulated by the RTO)

But you need to wait a minimum 6 months to get your vehicle re-registered.

Karthic

P.S: I am not working for AASI, But am a member of it.
kvenkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 15:39   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Bikes will face more problem than cars in bangalore. I drive my TN registered Fiesta in Bangalore for around 2 yrs, never faced any issues. But, i always carry Toll receipts and petrol bills to prove in case i caught by traffic police or RTO. But, i have a fear in my mind and hesitate to take car for a deep drive inside Bangalore.

But, KA or any other state cars can run without fear inside TN.
That is generally true because it is more probable for cars to be on an interstate trip than bikes. But try taking your car out during troubled times like what I mentioned, then you will see.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 17:12   #42
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is generally true because it is more probable for cars to be on an interstate trip than bikes. But try taking your car out during troubled times like what I mentioned, then you will see.
one way to avoid the cops is to change the TN in the number plate with fancy fonts or small fonts with only the numbers in big fonts.

Does bangalore cops catch if we use fancy fonts, have anyone faced the issue before.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 17:20   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
one way to avoid the cops is to change the TN in the number plate with fancy fonts or small fonts with only the numbers in big fonts.

Does bangalore cops catch if we use fancy fonts, have anyone faced the issue before.
As I mentioned before, a colleague of mine even had his TN number plate written in Kannada characters and numerals, with fancy borders and all. It was only a matter of time before his bluff was called!

Last edited by Gansan : 1st July 2009 at 17:22.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 13:18   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Chennai / TN Registered vehicle in Bangalore?

Hi,

I am relocating from Chennai to Bangalore. I have got a 2008 Civic and a 2008 Alto. I need your advice on whether to re-reg in Bangalore or sell it in Chennai (and buy another one in Bangalore).

Invoice Price (2008 Civic 1.8SMT): 11L ? (I paid 12.5L on-road)
17% of Invoice price: 1.87L
(http://rto.kar.nic.in/KMVTA%202010.pdf)
Depreciation for 4 to 5 years: 75% of 1.87L = 1.4L

My car has only 27K in odo. I feel its worth paying 1.4L and retaining it, rather than selling (8L ?) and buying a used Civic (with unknown past).

Same math for Alto too..

Help me guys...
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 13:43   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default re: Chennai / TN Registered vehicle in Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Hi,

I am relocating from Chennai to Bangalore. I have got a 2008 Civic and a 2008 Alto. I need your advice on whether to re-reg in Bangalore or sell it in Chennai (and buy another one in Bangalore).

Invoice Price (2008 Civic 1.8SMT): 11L ? (I paid 12.5L on-road)
17% of Invoice price: 1.87L
(http://rto.kar.nic.in/KMVTA%202010.pdf)
Depreciation for 4 to 5 years: 75% of 1.87L = 1.4L

My car has only 27K in odo. I feel its worth paying 1.4L and retaining it, rather than selling (8L ?) and buying a used Civic (with unknown past).

Same math for Alto too..

Help me guys...
Better you drive your Civic with TN plates itself.
If you don't jump a traffic signal/park at no parking zone, the chances of getting caught are less. Also, check with Bangalore traffic police website and pay if there any pending tickets on your car.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Mumbai Bangalore route safe for MH registered cars due to current border issues SDarshan Route / Travel Queries 18 2nd February 2009 16:10
Road Tax for Kolkata registered vehicle. dhiman The Indian Car Scene 2 2nd September 2008 13:23
Bhutan Registered vehicle spotted in Bangalore!! kvish Street Experiences 15 23rd December 2006 01:50
Getting Bangalore car re-registered in Noida Sush The Indian Car Scene 10 25th May 2005 13:01
Vehicle Trademarks registered for 2004. v12 The International Automotive Scene 2 14th April 2004 05:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks