Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th May 2009, 07:01   #16
BANNED

Even if such a 4x4 SUV is introduced, how many will sell? 500? There's no incentive for any manufacturer for such niche vehicles.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 09:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

do re-visit the first set of questions I asked
Im talking of a commercially viable product here - not a "wishful" one
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Even if such a 4x4 SUV is introduced, how many will sell? 500? There's no incentive for any manufacturer for such niche vehicles.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 09:42   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why cant all the zillion car makers think of people for whom such a vehicle would be a perfect dream come true?
It can be done Shanker. For example the 207 from Tata is a fantastic car. I have been using it for two years now and unbelievable as it sounds I actually look forward to driving it !!

All that Tata needs to do is figure out a way to endow it with 4x4. With a/c it can come in at 5.5 lacs or 6 onroad. Presently its at 4 odd

BTW the Sumo with 4x4 is an option you can readily consider. Should be under 6 lacs
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 09:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

207/Sumo and all those types fail on compact proportions, driveability, park-ability, modern creature comforts etc.

as suggested earlier in the thread Diesel Gypsy (upgraded with creature comforts), RAV4, Jimmy,Jimny,Samurai, Daihatsu Terios, Renault Sandero, Korean RockSta, Skoda Yeti, SX4 cROSSOVER and others of that type etc are more viable but fail on account of price/ diesel - because we are also taking a modern concept for young couples, small families, daily drive plus a bit of adventure so style, comfort, price, Diesel motor, some internal toys and creature comfort stimuli, compactness, high GC, 4WD, a little luggage space etc are pre-requisites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
It can be done Shanker. For example the 207 from Tata is a fantastic car. I have been using it for two years now and unbelievable as it sounds I actually look forward to driving it !!

All that Tata needs to do is figure out a way to endow it with 4x4. With a/c it can come in at 5.5 lacs or 6 onroad. Presently its at 4 odd

BTW the Sumo with 4x4 is an option you can readily consider. Should be under 6 lacs

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th May 2009 at 09:58.
Old 6th May 2009, 10:24   #20
BANNED

Quote:
do re-visit the first set of questions I asked
Im talking of a commercially viable product here - not a "wishful" one
cheers
We're both talking about the same thing - if there was an iota of commercial viability, I'm sure the manufacturers would have thought of it.

e.g. let's assume the Mahindra Classic is reintroduced - what numbers would it sell today? OK some (how many really?) enthusiastic off-roaders might pick one up but it still won't be viable for Mahindra to bring it back.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 10:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

If they launch the original hatchbak/crossover version of the SX4 with a diesel engine, it will be very close to what you are wishing.
It will be even better if they can come up with a wagon version of the SX4, with four wheel drive option as the original SX4.

Last edited by Guna : 6th May 2009 at 10:58.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 11:09   #22
BHPian

Guys,

As somebody suggested above also a Bolero Camper 4X4 is actually what you are looking for & more over with improved design & engine it is now even more agile then ever before. Also the plus side it has over Gypsy is a fully functional AC which was not Gypsy (softtop).
I think except for pickup (Gypsy being petrol) it suits all requirement of a 4x4 which Gypsy can fullfill. I have see it used in River raftings & in Tiger Trail huntings. It can do really good.
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 16:01   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Since you are stressing on comfort and utility then perhaps the Jimny is the answer. You never know considering Suzuki launching so many new models we might have the Jimny out soon too
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 16:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

Isn't Xenon just that? But it is twin cabin and is somewahat expensive.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 16:51   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Isn't Xenon just that? But it is twin cabin and is somewahat expensive.
And the cost is 8-9Lakh
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well the way carmakers think in India is something like this:

Diesel = premium! = 10 lakhs!
SUV = premium! = another 10 lakhs!

Hence total cost of a decent, diesel SUV = 20 lakhs.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

yes absolutely- but will they?
This is certainly closer to the wish-list than any of the other vehicle suggestions - Mahindra Classic, Tata Xenon, Bolero, INvader, Camper etc.
The SX4 Crossover, Jimny etc are what probably would do best in 4x4 plus Diesel option because of driveability, parkability, compactness, creature comforts etc etc as mentioned in earlier posts.
That would be excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If they launch the original hatchbak/crossover version of the SX4 with a diesel engine, it will be very close to what you are wishing.
It will be even better if they can come up with a wagon version of the SX4, with four wheel drive option as the original SX4.
Old 6th May 2009, 19:16   #28
BHPian

We need a fusion kind of vehicle to be launched by maruti or tata to create excitement in the x over segment to gain acceptablity for that segment in indian market
siedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 19:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
good show
also the Toyota RAV4 would have been an interesting option
Even if the rav4 came to india it would be priced between the corolla and fortuner: 13-17 lakhs. No way they would sell it for less than an innova.

However I agree that a new gypsy like car should be available.
Maybe a market for mahindra? (let's hope it doesn't get the funny grill! )

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 20:57   #30
BHPian

I think you are forgetting the Indian mentality, people are going to buy the big xylo at that price instead of a smaller, "compact" SUV.

I don't know how it happened but SUV's > sedan in our markets.

I too want something that you are looking for, but just not in 4x4/off roading capable

These companies have the models but no one wants to risk it here.

Something bigger than fusion and something smaller than skoda yeti is needed below 8L here badly.
Gagan.js is offline   Reply With Quote