Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th May 2009, 14:07   #46
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
they should just offer one FULLY LOADED Variant with all the possible bells and whistles in it.
Let Maruti take a page or two from Hyundai's concept of providing consumer value and adapt themselves a bit.
Hmm, I think Maruti was guilty of that before the Swift came out.

However, now if you look at the Swift, SX4, A-Star, Maruti has offered everything including steering mounted audio controls etc. With the Swift, most of these were first in class features, even the SX4 coming with airbags etc was much before any other manufacturer in that class gave them.
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 17:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

not when the earliest swifts came out in 2005 and 2006.
those days they were still pretty much what they always were - cut corners wherever possible in order to reduce costs.
however, as you say, with the advent of new, refreshed competition, they have course corrected a lot.
having said all the above, I WISH they could bring the Crossover SX4 with Diesel Engine to us - Im 100% if they price it right, there will be stacks of guys just dying for it.
Of course they ve got to be smart with the pricing, the way Toyota built itself up in terms of Cost vs Benefit ratio with Qualis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Hmm, I think Maruti was guilty of that before the Swift came out.

However, now if you look at the Swift, SX4, A-Star, Maruti has offered everything including steering mounted audio controls etc. With the Swift, most of these were first in class features, even the SX4 coming with airbags etc was much before any other manufacturer in that class gave them.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 17:32   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
this SX4 4WD crossover baby offroader is really lovely
if these chaps offer it here at about the price of say a lac more on road than the current SX4 ZXI and shove in the MJD Fiat engine in it, I d.
I doubt it. The FIAT Adventure is exactly the same concept and it flopped. The Fusion is almost the same concept and it flopped. 4 lac is too little..only thing you're gonna get is a GYpsy type raw vehicle.

Daihatsu Treios, New Samurai 4dr and Pajero Pinin are as close as you can get. RAV4 and Tiguan look small in pics but are in the 15-10 lakh category.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 17:43   #49
BHPian

Maruti should launch the Suzuki ignis . I feel that can satisfy most of the requirements asked for here.
siedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 18:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

if the ZXI SX4 is at about almost 7.5 on road bangalore Im saying the SX4 Crossover 4WD should be available at about 8.5-ish - I know it is asking too much for it to be made available at 4-6 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I doubt it. The FIAT Adventure is exactly the same concept and it flopped. The Fusion is almost the same concept and it flopped. 4 lac is too little..only thing you're gonna get is a GYpsy type raw vehicle.

Daihatsu Treios, New Samurai 4dr and Pajero Pinin are as close as you can get. RAV4 and Tiguan look small in pics but are in the 15-10 lakh category.
Old 8th May 2009, 21:16   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Ya, 4 is way too little. 800kg petrol hatchbacks cost that much.

As far as SX4, even if they drop the price to Fusion Levels (6L ?) it is questionable if the market will accept it as a macho SUV.

Best bet is CJ340 or maybe 2 door Bolero (I guess thats an Invader hardtop)
Old 8th May 2009, 21:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

not asking market acceptance as a macho suv
its just that it would be a very good option for the current buyers buying sedans etc

Quote:
Ya, 4 is way too little. 800kg petrol hatchbacks cost that much.

As far as SX4, even if they drop the price to Fusion Levels (6L ?) it is questionable if the market will accept it as a macho SUV.

Best bet is CJ340 or maybe 2 door Bolero (I guess thats an Invader hardtop)
Old 8th May 2009, 23:36   #53
BHPian

I think two manufacturers are well equipped than others to roll-out such a product with less turn around time. Suzuki obviously is one and the next IMO is TATA. Say, if they can introduce 4X4 into Indica / Indigo Vista - a la Vista Marina, of course with better proportions, driveability, etc. That would be sweet.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 10:55   #54
BHPian

I think Maruti is one company which can bring in the kind of vehicle in discussion. They have Suzuki to help them and a decent price can bring in the volumes (hopefully). Customer has changed a lot in the last 10 years and comapnies need to realise that.

I am already confused with Maruti's hatchback range - Alto, Wagon R, A-Star, Swift and now the Ritz. I wish they don' bring in one more model in the same range and instead bring in the VFM SUV where there is no competition now.
thiyags22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 11:13   #55
BHPian

I think more than Maruti, the Tatas are in a great position to produce this. They have diesel, 4x4 tech, and some decent experience building trucks.

The only think they don't know how to do is build *lighter*, *smaller* stuff - they are all big. Hell even the Nano is big for its price. They need to take a step back, reflect on how *less is more*, and build a spartan, smaller ute with 4x4. It wont be cheap, even the Indica QJD is past the 5L mark. The TL, Xenon etc are all right ideas, but they need to be scaled down quite a bit.

The Mahindras seem to be chasing upmarket dreams; I cant see them build cheap 4x4s any more. Maruti is happy with huge waiting-lists on its high-volume, high-margin hatches.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 18:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

yes bang on- the important thing is there is NO competition at these prices and in this category at the moment. no proper competition anyway.
if they give the value of a high GC Crossover with Diesel Power and selectable 4x4, WITHOUT foolishly overpricing the same, they themselves would be surprised at how many potential takers there are - maybe a "Soccer Mom" revolution in India is ready there, bubbling under the surface, which will be unleashed by such a vehicle! hope some chaps from maruti are reading this and could get tickled into bringing in the sx 4 4wd crossover with the fiat 1.3 mjd quadrajet turbo engine and all the bells and whistles.
personally i think maruti is the only one who might be able to pull it off.
but they really must change their advertising ideas for such a vehicle - sx4 normal ad is completely idiotic and certainly not appealing to the "thinking" indian public. they could do a volvo and position it around "safety", comfort, go anywhere and yet easy to park, drive, compactness, luggage space etc and im sure they will succeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
I wish they don' bring in one more model in the same range and instead bring in the VFM SUV where there is no competition now.
Old 9th May 2009, 18:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

How would a off-road version of the indigo marina be?
I'm gonna try and photoshop it, and then i'll post it here!

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 20:34   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Hatch based 4x4 are teh best bet in that pricerange. Such vehicles are quite popular in Brazil and Italy. Posting some examples of Polo, Panda and Sandero. The least risky path is to modify an existing hatch into an SUV.

Quote:
not asking market acceptance as a macho suv
its just that it would be a very good option for the current buyers buying sedans etc
no probs. what I mean is that market acceptance is key for an car company to think about making the investment and machoness is necessary for market acceptance. Thanks to Fusion and Adventure, they are going to be less inclined to go down that path.
Attached Thumbnails
Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-volkswagen_polo_suv_1.jpg  

Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-renaultsanderostepway2008.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 9th May 2009, 22:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

correct. hatch based is exactly what Ive been driving at all along.
yes I love the Polo, Panda and Sandero - and the SX4 Crossover 4WD.

Fusion and Adventure were really not marketed well.
Nor were they typical of the higher stance of the SUV type vehicle - wrong size wheels and no proper alloys etc to give that appearance for one thing.
SX4 is any day more suited than the above 2. Muscular looks appeal.

I wish the companies would come up with a solution like this because a large portion of our people who have been "conditioned" into thinking only of Sedans and other boring - corporate yuppie climber type vehicles, can finally consider some options which gives them the freedom of an SUV combined with the convenience of a car. thats why a pre-requisite is 4x4 and Diesel power for this to succeed.

Even I was tickled pink in 2005 when the Fusion came - FUSION + actually and I told that dealer that I would definitely buy, if the vehicle were Diesel Driven and had an option of 4WD.
I loved that Forester but it was way too expensive at 13 lacs plus it was petrol driven so anyway not in my consideration set at all at the time.

anyway, with so much speculation on this thread, lets hope the fellers at the car companies sit up, read and maybe take notice. Till then Im afraid we will simply have to make-do with the options we have with us today!

Quote:
Hatch based 4x4 are teh best bet in that pricerange. Such vehicles are quite popular in Brazil and Italy. Posting some examples of Polo, Panda and Sandero. The least risky path is to modify an existing hatch into an SUV.

no probs. what I mean is that market acceptance is key for an car company to think about making the investment and machoness is necessary for market acceptance. Thanks to Fusion and Adventure, they are going to be less inclined to go down that path.
Old 10th May 2009, 18:27   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Well the way carmakers think in India is something like this:

Diesel = premium! = 10 lakhs!
SUV = premium! = another 10 lakhs!

Hence total cost of a decent, diesel SUV = 20 lakhs.
Thats the way all MNC/Local Car maker treat the Indian Market. Max profit, poor vehicle ... Ripping Indian Customer to the MAX in name of TAX...
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote