Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th May 2009, 11:46   #61
evo
BHPian

The Sandero looks pretty good, the only thing wrong with the vehicle is the Badge!!

Haha. But in all seriousness, Maruti should be able to produce the SX4 crossover at the same price as the sedan, or at the most, the VXI of the crossover at the ZXI level of the sedan.

It`ll be Safari/Scorpio price, without the extra seating but with much better quality and ease of driving.

To misquote their ill thought of tag line:

New Gypsy- The real men are back!!! hahaha

On the other hand, if we stuck to the 5 Lakh rupee range, and maruti shoehorned the MJD into the Gypsy HT 5 Door and updated the interiors, gave it power steering and did the nip and tuck cosmetic refresh to the headlights, tail lamps, bumpers etc, would it solve the purpose?

Last edited by evo : 12th May 2009 at 11:49.
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 17:00   #62
Senior - BHPian

comment added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
The Sandero looks pretty good, the only thing wrong with the vehicle is the Badge!! Not sure about this- I like the looks - no botheration about the brand/ badge.

Haha. But in all seriousness, Maruti should be able to produce the SX4 crossover at the same price as the sedan, or at the most, the VXI of the crossover at the ZXI level of the sedan. - possible yes, but will they??

It`ll be Safari/Scorpio price, without the extra seating but with much better quality and ease of driving. They can, if they want, make this more accessible.

To misquote their ill thought of tag line:

New Gypsy- The real men are back!!! hahaha - Its a silly ad - their SX4 current TV one - quite a poor effort plus a bit irresponsible because who knows which idiot amongst the great indian viewing public might decide to imitate/ emulate that ad?

On the other hand, if we stuck to the 5 Lakh rupee range, and maruti shoehorned the MJD into the Gypsy HT 5 Door and updated the interiors, gave it power steering and did the nip and tuck cosmetic refresh to the headlights, tail lamps, bumpers etc, would it solve the purpose?
-A similar set of suggestions and points I have debated with the Gypsy Warriors on another thread here - a long time ago - maybe about a year or so atleast!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 07:50   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If they launch the original hatchbak/crossover version of the SX4 with a diesel engine, it will be very close to what you are wishing.
It will be even better if they can come up with a wagon version of the SX4, with four wheel drive option as the original SX4.
I am certain that you were not impressed with the way Premier met your request with the Rio.

The SX4 hatchback AWD does look like it will meet the requirements. Saw one in the US. Wonder if they manufacture it here and ship out,
Attached Thumbnails
Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-dsc00105.jpg  

ananth_iy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 11:43   #64
Team-BHP Support

Saw this thread just now.

I have been driving the Fusion for the last 4+ years only for the reason as mentioned in the subject of this mail. I have been whining for a long time (read all the fours), why can't anyone make more cars like Fusion.

As the my Fusion reaches its twilight, I have a big problem at hand for finding a replacement. Having driving the Fusion, I am sure I wont be able to drive any Sedans. Hope to see either Polo/Panda/Sandero/SX4/Yeti to make it at decent price in the Indian maket, by the time I am out to shop for a new one!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 11:49   #65
Senior - BHPian

If one doesn't require 4x4 in compact SUV then every hatch is a compact or mini SUV. Look at Alto with 'that' eye. It is our perfect micro SUV. Perfect shape and design of a micro SUV, ratiowise good tyre size, good GC, what else one needs. No wonder it sells so much.

What my point is lets keep hatchs as hatches and SUVs as SUVs. If a company market its hatch as an SUV it doesn't becomes an SUV.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 12:04   #66
Senior - BHPian

why isnt anyone talking about the new premier thingie? its a diesel and supposedly an SUV

agreed it may not have an i10's interiors, er even my ye olde indica's interiors, but hey, you cant have your cake and eat it too
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 13:02   #67
BHPian

Gypsy with a diesel engine and four door would be a piece of cake for its price or the diesel SX4 hatchback. reason would be...

1. Easy city drive.
2. Ability to handle all these cabs(indicas and sumos).
3. High GC. city like Chennai may not have much rain but even 2 days rain will make you think about taking your car outside.
4. We have better highways now and people prefer to drive long distance on their own, once in 3 months
5. 1 or 2 as average in week days and 4-5 people in weekends.
klassics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 14:02   #68
BHPian

Default Why not a used CR-V?

My suggestion is to buy a 6-8 year old Honda CR-V and have fun. Probably will come for 6 lakhs or so?
lawdgawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 14:19   #69
BHPian

I doubt if MSIL will launch the Sx4 compact suv/hatch in India at a price which will undercut the sedan.But at the same time if the price is higher than the sedan it wont sell. So the best bet for them if ever they plan to launch it would be to go in for a single variant option(Zxi) and price it between the vxi and zxi of the sedan version.

IMHO Fiat could try bringing the Sedici to India and price it between punto and linea.

@greenhorn- who wants to buy the thingy which is bound to have an engine change by march 2010
harishnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 15:32   #70
BHPian

Premier has attempted it within the specified budget with a diesel engine. "RIO". Going strictly by the responses and reactions it seems to have fallen flat among TBHPians. Lets see if it shapes up nicely in its subsequent runs.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 18:44   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
If one doesn't require 4x4 in compact SUV then every hatch is a compact or mini SUV. Look at Alto with 'that' eye. It is our perfect micro SUV. Perfect shape and design of a micro SUV, ratiowise good tyre size, good GC, what else one needs. No wonder it sells so much.

What my point is lets keep hatchs as hatches and SUVs as SUVs. If a company market its hatch as an SUV it doesn't becomes an SUV.
For me the definition of a X-over/SUV stands for the following:

- High GC
- >100BHP power
- Diesel Options
- Contemporary styling
- Good Boot space
- Compact in Size (5 seater is good enough)

4WD is not in my list as I dont do offroading. The above list not only solves my city driving requirements but also provides ample highway driving pleasure.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 00:23   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Saw this thread just now.

I have been driving the Fusion for the last 4+ years only for the reason as mentioned in the subject of this mail. I have been whining for a long time (read all the fours), why can't anyone make more cars like Fusion.

As the my Fusion reaches its twilight, I have a big problem at hand for finding a replacement. Having driving the Fusion, I am sure I wont be able to drive any Sedans. Hope to see either Polo/Panda/Sandero/SX4/Yeti to make it at decent price in the Indian maket, by the time I am out to shop for a new one!
You are correct it is very difficult to find a replacement of this car. I know people say its over priced with out a boot Its real fun to drive this car. People like this car but failed to take the finale decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Premier has attempted it within the specified budget with a diesel engine. "RIO". Going strictly by the responses and reactions it seems to have fallen flat among TBHPians. Lets see if it shapes up nicely in its subsequent runs.
Nice steps from Premier, but again this is a Chinese product. Hope more company will come to this race.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 01:01   #73
BHPian

I think the old rav4 is perfect for this, the 1998 model, not too big, a proper SUV, doesn't look funny. There is definitely a market for this 8-12 lakhs for a compact SUV. Wonder why TATA cannot step up to this, surely if Toyota could do it in 1998 at least we can have something similar reasonably priced in India in 2009.
Attached Thumbnails
Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-toyotarav41998red2.jpg  

Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-toyotarav41998red3.jpg  

Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-toyotarav41998red4.jpg  

Why cant we get a nice compact Diesel SUV/Crossover in the price range of Rs 4-7 Lacs-toyotarav41998red5.jpg  

Attached Images

raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 08:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

shankar's wish is fulfilled. would i see a premier rio on your garage buddy? Lol...
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 12:01   #75
BHPian

Ford makes a small SUV called the EcoSport. It is extremely successful in Latin America, and is also exported to some middle east markets.

Apart from the fact that it is made in LHD and petrol only, I think this vehicle fits the bill. I expect that it will not be as expensive as other EU / US market SUVs.

Ford Middle East - Syria - EcoSport

Ford EcoSport 1.6 | First Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express

Ford EcoSport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.ford.com.br/showroom.asp?veiculo=12
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote