Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th May 2009, 14:37   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

It has all to do with revenue _ I guess more of the under the table kind!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 14:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think it would make sense to simplify the refund process rather than propose sweeping changes in our system.

case in point - the IT refund system. Relatively speaking, this system works more effectively than it did a decade back.

So why not take a leaf out of this.
I agree we need to raise our voice on these issues,

1) but how many of us here HAVE ACTUALLY FILED FOR A REFUND OF ROAD TAX WHEN WE MOVED OUT OF STATE AND FOLLOWED IT UP DILIGENTLY ? - i did not do that when i shifted from Kerala.

2) has anyone taken the RTI ( right to information act ) route to pull up officials regarding the pending refund application ? i dont think many would have - i used this to claim my 5 year old IT refund case and guess what - i got the refund cheque WITH INTEREST within 5 days !

lets shake up the system with the tools that are available now and then see what impact that makes.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 15:09   #18
BHPian

I have been trying for some time to see whether we can file a PIL regarding the dual taxation that applies to central govt employees and the "so called" normal people. Central govt employees are eligible to pay annual road taxes just for the simple reason that their service contract tells "liable to serve anywhere in India".
My point is, aren't others too liable to serve anywhere in India if that is the way he earns his bread ? How can one discriminate citizens just on the basis of his/her employer ?

I am sure this can be questioned in a court . What say BHPians ?
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 15:37   #19
BHPian

Just came across this which google threw up.

Indiacar.com - browse *Dr. Pasricha's Answers
Search for "SONAL MEHTA's query" and its answer by Dr Pasricha.

I am not sure on what grounds he has made these answers but I do feel T-BHP can contact him if we plan to take the legal route.
Old 5th May 2009, 19:49   #20
BHPian

Absolutely, all cars should have an amortized annual tax pattern. People should be able to pay at will for a few years. Most owners sell cars after few years. In that case why should people pay lifetime tax.

Also road tax should be one time and should be standard across states. Good to see a topic like this in team bhp
pshyamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 20:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

5. Even if you move town it is a pain. You can get your address changed but the registration stays in the original city. Transferring is a big pain. Ask anyone, he will affirm to the fact that a lot of intra-state transfers are done to false/temporary addresses in the city of original registration, to avoid the hassle of taking an NOC etc.
Hello,

I didn't understand the above point. What is the advantage of changing the address to a false/temporary one?

thanks!
litesaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 21:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading something in the Indian constitution about a part of this issue.

1. Vehicle ownership/ regulation / registration is a "concurrent" subject - means both state and center can make laws on it, but central laws will previal unless the president assents to the state laws.

2. Vehicle TAXATION is exclusive subject; BUT

3. Central government has powers to issue directions to the state governments on principles to be followed in vehicle taxation.

Therefore, all is require for the central govt. to do is:-

a. Ask the states to fix a proportion of tax to be refunded in case the vehicle is re-registered outside the state. (already done by most states - else one time taxation laws would have been stuck down by the courts as unreasonable.

b. Direct the staes to give credit for taxex to be refunded by the state of origin. Means, if I am moving from UP to KL, and if UP laws say that I am entitled for 10K refund, KL has to give credit for the amount due to me from UP. So, suppose, I am liable to pay 15K in KL, I need to pay only 5 K in KL now. And if my liability is only 10K, I need not pay any further taxes now. The state of origin will transfer the funds direct to state to which the vehicle is transferred.

c. Lay down a uniform all India tax rate for non-transport aka white-board aka private vehicles (using the powers in 3 above). After all, they are non-transport vehicles, means their movement is unrestricted and unregulated.

Are we good at lobbying?

Edit:-

@joecherian - you are correct, it is not just the central govt. employees who are liable to pan India transfers. What If I CHOOSE to move? And the truth is, only a miniscule of central govt. employees can afford own 4 wheelers.

What if my business requires me to stay for 2 months at a place in a different state?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 5th May 2009 at 21:44.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 22:31   #23
BHPian

I don't remember the source, but I read an article sometime back where it suggests adding a small 'road tax' component to each litre of fuel sold. And the oil retailers can pay the state govts on the actual amount sold in each state.

It would be fair(er) for all road users, both in # of kms driven and load imposed on the tarmac:
Large trucks rip the up road a lot more and consequently use a lot more fuel doing so, a lightweight Maruti 800 is gentle on the tarmac and uses a lot less fuel. A sparingly used vehicle would thus pay very little road tax, while a tourist taxi will indirectly payup for using more of the road.

Easy to see why the babus (and touts) would have shoved this suggestion under the carpet right away!!
PraveenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 08:15   #24
BHPian

I agree with pay as you use concepts instead of upfront heavy road tax or annual heavy road tax. Some countries like Singapore have both (plus also heavy fuel tax), for special reasons.

Incidentally, fuel is already expensive in India, even as compared to countries that heavily tax fuel for social/pollution/congestion reasons. We pay this simply to support our parasite govt. employee class' lazy lifestyle. So there is no scope for increasing fuel tax to reduce road tax.

There is also no doubt that public transportation needs to be encouraged. One reason it is pathetic in India is that the (upper) middle class has already completely bypassed it, hence not demanding better services.

Which means there is only one way road tax can be brought down - if at all. That is to impose heavy charge for using cars on key big city public roads. I would salute any govt. that dares to impose Rs.100 (more for Mum/Del) or so charge for each day of usage if car enters 'restricted zone' that covers most city core areas. Plus roadside parking fee should be substantial, not trivial. Say Rs.20-30 per hr. That fund should straight go, not to create/feed more govt. parasites but for public transport subsidies.
Traxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 09:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
Hello,

I didn't understand the above point. What is the advantage of changing the address to a false/temporary one?

thanks!
If you try and register the vehicle in another city within the same state you have to pay no road tax, the number does not change, but have to get an NOC from the original city and then the car is registered in the new city. It is a pain, since it involves, police clearance and the rest. So the brokers offer an 'all in service' including fake ration card (for the address) and keep the registration in the original city.

As an owner while you can get the address changed to another city the registration stays in the old city. So the change is only poissible on a sale.

Last edited by sgiitk : 6th May 2009 at 09:38.
Old 6th May 2009, 09:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

a. Ask the states to fix a proportion of tax to be refunded in case the vehicle is re-registered outside the state. (already done by most states - else one time taxation laws would have been stuck down by the courts as unreasonable.

b. Direct the states to give credit for taxex to be refunded by the state of origin. Means, if I am moving from UP to KL, and if UP laws say that I am entitled for 10K refund, KL has to give credit for the amount due to me from UP. So, suppose, I am liable to pay 15K in KL, I need to pay only 5 K in KL now. And if my liability is only 10K, I need not pay any further taxes now. The state of origin will transfer the funds direct to state to which the vehicle is transferred.
a. is the current rule. In practice the refund never happens.
b. This was being proposed by the previous NDA govt. Of course even if the NDA comes back we are unlikely to have Maj.Gen. Khanduri back in the saddle in the centre.
Old 15th May 2009, 16:16   #27
BHPian

I think this thread also has gone to its natural death, just like the umpteen no of threads that we used to discuss similar issues. Does that mean we only speak and don't act ?? May be a point to ponder....
Old 15th May 2009, 16:35   #28
BHPian

The solution is simple. Enable people to pay tax in the other state for the period of usage. Eg: If i travel for a month from mumbai - hyderabad, then i pay tax for a month in hyd on entry. Our govt prefers complex rules than simple ones.
harishsegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 17:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Well it has been seen umpteen times that in India, PILs are the only thing that move and shake our heavy interia laden system.

Writing posts here would not really help.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 03:36   #30

Unhappy

3. The procedure is becoming more and more involved instead of being simplified. Ask any Army officer and you will know.

5. Even if you move town it is a pain. You can get your address changed but the registration stays in the original city. Transferring is a big pain. Ask anyone, he will affirm to the fact that a lot of intra-state transfers are done to false/temporary addresses in the city of original registration, to avoid the hassle of taking an NOC etc.
[/quote]

Please add Bank Officers also. In my case I have been transferred to 4 places in three states in the last 5 years (As far away as Mumbai, Erode, A village in erode Dt. and Hyderabad). How many times should I re register my vehicle.
mohandc is offline   Reply With Quote