Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th May 2009, 09:45   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Case for All India Registration

I think now we have a very strong case for vehicle registrations to be valid on an all India basis. Some reasons:

1. Almost all RTOs are now computerized so a national computer linkage is definitely not too tough.

2. Mobility of car owners is high and the incidence of inter state movements is increasing.

3. The procedure is becoming more and more involved instead of being simplified. Ask any Army officer and you will know.

4. Refund of the road tax is a myth. Never happens.

5. Even if you move town it is a pain. You can get your address changed but the registration stays in the original city. Transferring is a big pain. Ask anyone, he will affirm to the fact that a lot of intra-state transfers are done to false/temporary addresses in the city of original registration, to avoid the hassle of taking an NOC etc.

I wish TBHP takes up the cudgels. Unless we make noise things will never happen. States get the pocket the revenues (which they should refund), every one gets spee money. Only we the car users suffer.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 10:13   #2
BHPian

This is definitely a dire requirement. The mobility of people has increased considerably these days. Are roads built out of state expenditure? I guess thats the reason why they want separate taxes for each state. I believe the only reason they dont move a little finger in the direction of unification of road taxes is because they have some reason to collect bribes. I tried changing the registration for my vehicle, but the process is so cumbersome and different RTO agents and policemen give different procedures! Availability of technology is definitely not an impediment these days.
topedgemonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 10:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

I could not agree more!
There are many cases of Immigrants into Bangalore, who come here as per their work needs, and who are caused unnerving amounts of inconvenience and harassment by the Transport Authorities.
The self same authorities dont realize/ appreciate that it is the immigrant population who have driven the state economy up, consumption level up (and therefore production), created new opportunities and pay the highest slabs in excise, direct and indirect taxes.
Yes - the ALL INDIA VEHICLE REGISTRATION MUST be made a reality - something like a PAN CARD or PASSPORT. It would be of huge benefit to everyone concerned.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 10:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
....2. Mobility of car owners is high and the incidence of inter state movements is increasing.....
I totally agree with you, I recently (September 2008) moved to Hyderabad from NOIDA, first the RTO Inspector asked me to pay the life time tax, then said it will be refunded when I get NOC, when I had the NOC he said that an AP number has to be taken and when I go back can claim for a refund. So now, I have paid around 40,000 as tax, with my car papers in the RTO for re-registration, I have a separate thread on this story:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ne-ap-tak.html

I have decided to use all the tools provided (like RTI Act etc.) to get this done, as its the matter of my basic rights, if nothing happens I am all set to even drag the RTO to the court, on a brighter side if everything goes well, I will file a PIL in the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India on this,
Just imagine how many people are getting harrased every day when they move interstate by these RTOs,
I think we should learn from the west on this, on how they manage across their country, I will have to study a few cases (like US & UK) and then put them as references when I file for a PIL
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 11:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

^ What the ... ?

OnTopic: I agree whole heartedly, as would any one else who has had the pains of moving across different states, within small periods of one-two years.

What is the means to get this across to our legislature?
PIL?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 11:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Umm, I may sound little different here. No need to have a All-India registration. The current numbering and registration makes it so easy for tracing numbers and cars even for laymans. Just bring back the Annual road tax.

The issue is not with the system, but with the people who form the system. Even now, it clearly says that if you wanna stay for less than 9months (or 11months??) in different state, no need to pay tax again. But who cares?

So, its more to do with awareness rather then changing the whole system.

A different point -

If people are forced to visit RTO every year (online or offline), it will also help government to catch those fellows who are defaulters for fine etc.

Agreed, it may be pain to keep renewing it every year, but that's the best. Like insurance, this system should also be followed. May be payment in banks, post-office or other public system will help to reduce those bribe-hungry bellies in RTO.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 11:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
^ What the ... ?

OnTopic: As would any one else who has had the pains of moving across different states, within small periods of one-two years.

What is the means to get this across to our legislature?
PIL?
At present I think Registration of Vehicles is a state subject, so it may need some heavy work. I do remember the NDA govt. moving to make the registration fee transferable. This would have reduced a lot of corruption, and naturally helped ease things.

To get all India registration may need some serious work, as it involves the State-Centre interaction.

PILs can definitely help. However, our governments of late pay scant regard even to Supreme Court Directives, and zilch to observations.

Last edited by sgiitk : 5th May 2009 at 11:18.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
At present I think Registration of Vehicles is a state subject, so it may need some heavy work. I do remember the NDA govt. moving to make the registration fee transferable. This would have reduced a lot of corruption, and naturally helped ease things.

To get all India registration may need some serious work, as it involves the State-Centre interaction.

PILs can definitely help. However, our governments of late pay scant regard even to Supreme Court Directives, and zilch to observations.
State-Cetre interaction is already in place for Excise and IT. Is nearly complete for VAT/GST. So there shouldnt be a problem if vehicle tax is also done on similar revenue sharing basis.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 12:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Things are easier said than done.It is not as simple as we think as the road tax is different for different states,Different states has invested on roads in different manner and their expectation of revenue from new vehicles are also different.There should be uniform taxation first and then all roads should come under the union govt rather than some under central and some state.so it would be a tedious job unlike what we think .

ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 12:53   #10
BHPian

This will also help temp traveling to other state and tourism industry...
People will start Registration of their vehicle in Nagaland(Lowest) and will Drive in Bangalore.

Last edited by arin_12 : 5th May 2009 at 12:56.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 13:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
This will also help temp traveling to other state and tourism industry...
People will start Registration of their vehicle in Nagaland(Lowest) and will Drive in Bangalore.
Difficult but cannot rule out. We have been seeing this in TN where people register in Pondy to get less road tax etc. Its tough because you need local address. But again, nothing is impossible to our guys, right?

I suppose now its streamlined...
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 13:11   #12
BHPian

A good initiative, hope this gets addressed but every state would create a road block, unless and until we have a centralised and universal taxation policy rolled out at least for non-commercial user owned cars and bikes.
sats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 13:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
The issue is not with the system, but with the people who form the system. Even now, it clearly says that if you wanna stay for less than 9months (or 11months??) in different state, no need to pay tax again. But who cares?
Could you please provide a documented proof for this ?

For AP, the rule book says that one can drive the other state vehicle for 30 days (provided the NOC is stamped on the RC book), thereafter full tax needs to be paid, there is no mention of refund anywhere
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 14:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Why did we move from Annual to Lifeterm registration:

1. Simplification - saves the hassle
2. States wanted all the revenue up front
3. In the rural and even semi-urban areas a lot of people registered vehicles one (esp. 2 wheelers) and never paid the road tax again.

With a marginal increase in taxation on fuel Road Tax can be made negligible. Take Europe - there are countries like France where road tax is low, but the fuel taxation is high, and there are tolls. On the other hand UK has a high road tax and lower fuel taxation, with no toll roads.

The French logic is pay as you drive!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 14:31   #15
BHPian

i seriously want to know what is the disadvantage of not paying taxes of the state you migrate too?how is it benficial to the local public?i have seen cops drooling out station car & bike owners.for what specially the high end cars.for what?is there any security problem unless the owner doesnt sell his car?
nandishpal is offline   Reply With Quote