Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th June 2009, 14:23   #376
BHPian

Default TD please!

Sid,

I'm eagerly awaiting your TD report. We don't have to wait for the official launch, do we?
Old 8th June 2009, 14:43   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Well, the big difference is NHC was 1.3 and this is going to be 1.2, so is Honda going to pass on excise benefits to the customer?
NHC was 1.5. It was OHC which had 1.3 option
Old 8th June 2009, 15:03   #378
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
This car is basically the hatchback version of the NHC. (check out the bonnet and waist line).This is the Honda Fit else where in the globe. A friend of mine who used to work at Honda said that the Honda guys were scared stiff to launch it in India at that time because they were not convinced that it would sell at this high pricepoint. So they went the safe way and added a boot to it in places like India , Indonesia, etc. VOILA !! the New Honda City. I guess now they must have thought that the Indian Market has reached the maturity level to accept highly priced hatchbacks and launched this as the Jazz. Its like the Dzire coming first to a country, getting phased out and then the Swift getting launched in the same market, at the same price.
Ah,
but then someone here mentioned that Honda giving a All New car as Jazz is a big positive against competitors giving 2-3 years aged models
Old 8th June 2009, 18:35   #379
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Well, Honda is Honda. In cars, first there is God & then there is Honda.

They can price it anything they want. And any price will still be "worth" it, some people will go to lengths to prove it & its because Honda knows psyche of such people & hence thinks it can price it anywhere, who cares about features if Honda doesn't want to give a few of them.
As a fellow Honda owner myself, allow me to clarify why some amongst us love the brand:

- Absolutely unmatched reliability. It's only Toyota & Honda at the top.

- Their cars are either class toppers in power or in fuel efficiency.

- Exceedingly low cost of service. Think 1,500 bucks for a 20 lakh rupee Honda Accord. That's lesser than my Indigo's service bills.

- Superb resale value.

- Most of their cars are highly pleasurable to drive (e.g. the Civic from its segment, the CRV from the soft-roaders and the City from the C segment).

I'll be the first to tell you of how they skimp on equipment, and that their after-sales needs improvement. Yet in terms of sheer product engineering precision, it's only Toyota that matches / betters the Honda. Either of these manufacturers charge a premium, no doubt on that. However, that premium is recovered in a low cost of ownership, good fuel efficiency, strong resale and cheap service costs.

There is a reason why Toyota & Honda enjoy such success in most markets where they have a presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
What are people saying about i20's 1.2 Engine here on the forum? Likewise, with 1.2 Engine, won't i20 also do it to other cars?
Honda Jazz 1.2 - Power to weight ratio : 84.xx BHP / Ton

Hyundai i20 1.2 : 74 BHP to the ton. That's nearly a 15% difference in numbers. There's also the question of how differently Japanese & Korean horses behave.....compare a OHC 1.5 to an Accent 1.6 GTX, an Accord to a Sonata and the Verna to the Honda City.
Old 8th June 2009, 18:54   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As a fellow Honda owner myself, allow me to clarify why some amongst us love the brand:

- Absolutely unmatched reliability. It's only Toyota & Honda at the top.
- Their cars are either class toppers in power or in fuel efficiency.
- Exceedingly low cost of service. Think 1,500 bucks for a 20 lakh rupee Honda Accord. That's lesser than my Indigo's service bills.
- Superb resale value.
- Most of their cars are highly pleasurable to drive (e.g. the Civic from its segment, the CRV from the soft-roaders and the City from the C segment).

I'll be the first to tell you of how they skimp on equipment, and that their after-sales needs improvement. Yet in terms of sheer product engineering precision, it's only Toyota that matches / betters the Honda. Either of these manufacturers charge a premium, no doubt on that. However, that premium is recovered in a low cost of ownership, good fuel efficiency, strong resale and cheap service costs.

There is a reason why Toyota & Honda enjoy such success in most markets where they have a presence.

Honda Jazz 1.2 - Power to weight ratio : 84.xx BHP / Ton
Hyundai i20 1.2 : 74 BHP to the ton. That's nearly a 15% difference in numbers. There's also the question of how differently Japanese & Korean horses behave.....compare a OHC 1.5 to an Accent 1.6 GTX, an Accord to a Sonata and the Verna to the Honda City.

+ 1 to that.

My personal reason for buying a Honda is

1. great performance of the car
2. peace of mind due as no issues (not even minor) with the car. this is important from the Time value of Money perspective. if i have to go several times to the service station to get the issues fixed then it not only consumes my personal time, also money also prevents me from spending my time for other productive use.

i know i have paid a premium (w.r.t the other features), but i am okay with it.
Old 8th June 2009, 19:18   #381
BANNED

GTO,

There is no doubt about Honda's quality. Having been associated with Auto Industry for almost a decade sometime back, I've experienced it from close quarters. Am even aware how their Sales work with minutest daily planning with "Niguri" daily sheets (not sure about spelling/ exact word its 6-7 years back I came across it). Ditto with their Product Planning. Not for nothing they enjoy the position in which they are in, in the segment they're operating.

However, there is always a limit, a thin line & in some of the threads/ posts, it seems this thin line being evaded - negative points got projected as extremely super-shot positive points undermining other manufacturers, its almost as if admiration becoming worship & sometimes even got personal. End of the Day, nothing wrong with everyone having his own opinions as long as it stays objective
Old 8th June 2009, 20:02   #382
GTO
Team-BHP Support

VahanPujari. Also, let me add that Honda isn't able to get away with everything. The Civic managed a shocking low performance of only 212 cars sold in May. Compare that to the near 700 Altis' moved! Competition is always a good thing.

Plus, if the largest mass available medium (i.e. Team-BHP) on the Indian car scene doesn't highlit the pro's & con's of a brand objectively, where is the fun? Cheers.
Old 8th June 2009, 21:30   #383
Senior - BHPian

Default Jazz Review!

Source: theautomotiveindiaforums.com (Bharat & vijay)

"ok so we (me and vijay) just visited the basement of Honda showroom. and we were greeted with a red Honda Jazz. we see the car walking down to the basement and its clear that this thing is huge. its longer than any hatchback in india. its length is just 30mm short of a premier padmini and 80mm short of indigo CS, and both of them are sedans. so you pretty much have an idea here.its width is same as the new honda city (more than tata indigo by 75mm) thats about the dimensions. only thing we miss here is alloys. which is sad for a car which costs on the wrong side of 7 lacs

the quality on the exterior is quite good. it justifies its price tags which goes over 7 lacs on road only one variant being launched. the body panels feel strong. you can see each and every part showing what honda stands for. quality!

moving to the interiors. so if you thought exterior quality was good. interior quality is awsome. its better than the honda city. all the pannels feel strong. the door handels, the dashboard, steering wheel, steering wheel controls for audio (yes there are audio controls on the steering wheel just like honda city), the indash stero system, AC controls each and everything screams quality. you instantly get a feel you are sitting in a large car. even bigger than the honda city. surely the front hood cannot be seen just like an indica. amazing space. and yes i mean amazing. because its more than honda city. and i'm not sure though it seemed more roomier than the civic. the leg space is definetly great even if all the five passengers in the car are over 6ft in height.

the doors close with that quality thud which is even better than the honda city. (most of my comparisons are with honda city as i checked out the city right after checking out the Jazz and i can say this surely. Jazz feels a whole lot better than the city, in quality as well as space.) the console design on jazz is great. the insulation in the car is also great. simply put i am in love with this car. its got that classy touch i couldnt find in any hatchback. yes it can be atributed to its price. but atleast the price is justified.
features also come to surprise you.safety features like ABS, Honda’s G-CON technology, and airbags all standard. there's also an aux port in the in-dash CD player. a USB port would also have been welcome. also added is a trip computer which measures your cars FE and the distance you can travel.

another very nice and innovative touch is the twin glovebox. one opens upwords and the other downwards.and between them is a small tray also. the cubby holes and trays are very usefuly placed all around the car. there are 4 factory fitted speakers. a parcel tray at the back is however missing. boot is quite large. almost 400 ltrs. thats great for a hatchback. another great thing about the rear seats is that they have a 60:40 split. and they not only fold down but also fold up.

a proper test drive is due on this wednesday as that is when the car is sheduled to be launched. but vijay had a small drive in the basement. i was sitting behind and to me the car seemed quite smooth and peppy. rest vijay will be better to tell about it as he was driving.

final verdict: if you want a petrol car in 8-9 lacs range. and are thinking of getting the city. do check this car out. unless you really want a sedan for snob value or bigger engine. and i am sure you'll love this car. its much better than what i was expecting.

P.S. the quality of pics are not very good as they were taken in the basement with my phone cam."

Old 8th June 2009, 22:47   #384
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
you instantly get a feel you are sitting in a large car. even bigger than the honda city. surely the front hood cannot be seen just like an indica. amazing space. and yes i mean amazing. because its more than honda city. and i'm not sure though it seemed more roomier than the civic. the leg space is definetly great even if all the five passengers in the car are over 6ft in height.
Got carried away a bit too much there, mate. It's bigger and roomier, no doubt; saying it bigger than civic is .....

Quote:
a proper test drive is due on this wednesday as that is when the car is sheduled to be launched. but vijay had a small drive in the basement. i was sitting behind and to me the car seemed quite smooth and peppy. rest vijay will be better to tell about it as he was driving.

final verdict: if you want a petrol car in 8-9 lacs range. and are thinking of getting the city. do check this car out.
Well, the real test is seeing how it pulls when it is fully loaded. If the 1.2l manages that, then hats-off to Honda.
Old 9th June 2009, 08:24   #385
Senior - BHPian

That's a very enthusiastic (and seems like a bit over-the-top) review here. Many people who have checked out the car seems to think that its worth the price. Interesting.

I am eagerly looking forward to seeing how the market takes this car. Will the hatch segment buyers pay a huge premium for a Honda? Will prospective City buyers switch over to this for convenience, efficiency and the same reliability?

update: too bad, Honda omitted the USB functionality in the Jazz. I really think people care two hoots about CD players anymore - convenience of hooking up a cheap 8GB stick just cant be beat!

Last edited by SkyWalker : 9th June 2009 at 08:28.
Old 9th June 2009, 13:32   #386
Senior - BHPian

So no Alloys and USB port as standard!

By adding those from the available accessories the price will move at least another 40K up

Again and again asking, why can't they provide at least alloys

Waiting for GP to draw up the conclusion.
Old 9th June 2009, 13:48   #387
BHPian

I think they never provided alloys for the New City either. So they must be doing the same for the Jazz.

I dislike the massive headlight cluster, but besides that it is an amazing car in terms of appearance and specs. I have a feeling this will do relatively good in the market if they cut the cost by about 50-75k.
Old 9th June 2009, 14:19   #388
BHPian

awesome job with the pics raj_5004.
did you get your hands on the brochure, wanted to check the features list in detail.

I called up South End Honda in Delhi - was told that there is going to be only 1 variant - is that true?
interestingly, they were highlighting the feature - MAGIC Seats - which on further inquiry turned out to be fold-able rear seats with 60-40 split.

Also, the expected delivery time if one booked today or tomorrow would be 1 month as they haven't received any sell-able stocks as yet.
his estimation of price was 7lacs (+/-).

Ya - one more thing - he insisted on the face that Jazz was NOT a small car.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:27   #389
BANNED

Quote:
Source: theautomotiveindiaforums.com (Bharat & vijay)

"ok so we (me and vijay) just visited the basement of Honda showroom. and we were greeted with a red Honda Jazz. we see the car walking down to the basement and its clear that this thing is huge. its longer than any hatchback in india. its length is just 30mm short of a premier padmini and 80mm short of indigo CS, and both of them are sedans. so you pretty much have an idea here.its width is same as the new honda city (more than tata indigo by 75mm) thats about the dimensions. only thing we miss here is alloys. which is sad for a car which costs on the wrong side of 7 lacs

the quality on the exterior is quite good. it justifies its price tags which goes over 7 lacs on road only one variant being launched. the body panels feel strong. you can see each and every part showing what honda stands for. quality!

moving to the interiors. so if you thought exterior quality was good. interior quality is awsome. its better than the honda city. all the pannels feel strong. the door handels, the dashboard, steering wheel, steering wheel controls for audio (yes there are audio controls on the steering wheel just like honda city), the indash stero system, AC controls each and everything screams quality. you instantly get a feel you are sitting in a large car. even bigger than the honda city. surely the front hood cannot be seen just like an indica. amazing space. and yes i mean amazing. because its more than honda city. and i'm not sure though it seemed more roomier than the civic. the leg space is definetly great even if all the five passengers in the car are over 6ft in height.

the doors close with that quality thud which is even better than the honda city. (most of my comparisons are with honda city as i checked out the city right after checking out the Jazz and i can say this surely. Jazz feels a whole lot better than the city, in quality as well as space.) the console design on jazz is great. the insulation in the car is also great. simply put i am in love with this car. its got that classy touch i couldnt find in any hatchback. yes it can be atributed to its price. but atleast the price is justified.
features also come to surprise you.safety features like ABS, Honda’s G-CON technology, and airbags all standard. there's also an aux port in the in-dash CD player. a USB port would also have been welcome. also added is a trip computer which measures your cars FE and the distance you can travel.

another very nice and innovative touch is the twin glovebox. one opens upwords and the other downwards.and between them is a small tray also. the cubby holes and trays are very usefuly placed all around the car. there are 4 factory fitted speakers. a parcel tray at the back is however missing. boot is quite large. almost 400 ltrs. thats great for a hatchback. another great thing about the rear seats is that they have a 60:40 split. and they not only fold down but also fold up.

final verdict: if you want a petrol car in 8-9 lacs range. and are thinking of getting the city. do check this car out. unless you really want a sedan for snob value or bigger engine. and i am sure you'll love this car. its much better than what i was expecting.

P.S. the quality of pics are not very good as they were taken in the basement with my phone cam."

here my part other then what bharat shared in this thread
hi guys, thanks firstly to hummer for accompyning me along for TD of jazz not official thuogh but in the basement.Now here goes my stories:
Huge car and doesnt let you feel you are driving a hatchback, very very roomy and space all around you, i adjusted the driving seat as per my requirement(6'1") and checked rear seats and what amazingly was left with almost 7 inches more legroom available after my knees, wow! but one thing wasent good was underthigh support which though mey be done by adding foam covers.Plastic quality is superb and is the USB of this car, you would fall in love with this car once you are inside it.Addition to NHC, same music player but along with CD player which was not in city, but again lacks on USB drive which is not provided just aux in is given,sound quality is good and also controls are on steering as honda's trademark.Steering is light and i was able to drive very easily in that parking around those pillars which once i felt wont be able to get through, engine feels super super silent, once just checked is it on or not by pushing the pedal in that basement .Lots of bottle holders,cubby holes and space provided in corners of the car, dash is nicely designed and two glovebox are given as said by hummer.Overall nice package and approx on road price of manual jazz would be around 7.5/- to 7.7/-.Yes you heard it right but would confirm on wednesday.Well comparision to fabia and i20 yes this is expensive but was way too comfortable, superb engine and never felt sluggish but yet to drive on road for its perfect comparision, two front airbags,srs,ABS,sadly no auto climate control and no alloys which we felt should be given.The engine gives output of 90bhp which is quite sufficient for this car and this small engine.Jazz comes with E10 compatible and also meets Euro IV norms.
SPECIFICATIONS:
ENGINE : TYPE SOHC I-VTEC
NO. OF CYLINDERS 4
NO. OC VALVES 16
DISPLACEMENT 1198
MAX.POWER(CC) 90(66)@6200
MAX.TORQUE 110(11.2)@4800
FUEL SUPPLY PGM-FI
TRANSMISSION: MANUAL 5 FORWARD,1 REVERSE
STEERING : TYPE COLLAPSIBLE ELECTRIC,POWER aSSISTED
TURNING RADIUS(M) 4.9
BRAKE SYSTEM: FRONT DISC
REAR DRUM
SUSPENSION : FRONT MCPHERSON STRUT
REAR TORSION BEAM AXLE
DIMENSION &
WEIGHT : OVERALL LENGTH(MM) 3900
OVERALL WIDTH(MM) 1695
OVERALL HIGHT(MM) 1535
WHEELBASE(MM) 2500
THREAD(F/R)(MM) 1490/1475
GROUND CLEARANCE 160
KERB WEIGHT 1055
TYRE SIZE 175/65 R15 84T
FUEL TANK CAP. 42
SEATING CAPACITY 5
Here goes the list of features and equipments on current Jazz and also possible the same for auto jazz which might come later with same features.
EXTERIORS
BODY COLORED BUMPERS
BODY COLORED OUTSIDE VIEW MIRROR
BODY COLORED DOOR HANDLES
HALOGEN HEADLIGHTS
GREEN GLASS
REAR MICRO ANTENNA

INTERIORS
INTEGRATED AUDIO WITH AM/FM CD MP3+ AUX IN
STEERING MOUNTED AUDIO CONTROLS
FRONT AND REAR SPEAKERS
AUTO VOLUME BY SPEED
SEAT FABRIC COLOR (TITANUIM)
MAGIC SEATS
REAR SEAT 60:40 SPLIT
SEAT BACK POCKET (PASSENGER SIDE)
INSIDE DOOR HANDLE COLOR (SILVER)

SAFETY AND SECURITY
DUAL FRONT SRS AIRBAGS
ABS WITH BRAKE ASSIST
EBD(ELECTRONIC BRAKE FORCE DISTRIBUTION)
G-CON(G FORCE CONTROL TECHNOLOGY)
ECU IMMOBILIZER
FRONT SEATBELT PRETENSIONER WITH LOAD LIMITER
DRIVER SEAT BELT REMIDER
DRIVER AUTO PINCH GUARD
DAY/NIGHT INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROS
REAR WINDSHEILD DEFOGGER
REAR WIPER
HIGH MOUNT STOP LAMP
FULL SIZE SPARE TYRE

CONVENIENCE
AIR CONDITIONER WITH HEATER
TILT STEERING COLUMN
DRIVE BY WIRE
KEYLESS ENTRY WITH ANSWER BACK
POWER DOOR LOCK
POWER DOOR MIRROR
POWER WINDOWS FRONT AND REAR
FRONT POWER WINDOW AUTO UP AND DOWN (DRIVER)
DUAL GLOVE BOX
INSTRUMENT PANEL POCKETS
FRONT AND REAR CONSOLE POCKETS
FRONT AND REAR DOOR LINING POCKETS
DRIVER AND PASSENGER VANITY MIRROR
AVERAGE FUEL CONSUMPTION DISPLAY
INSTANT FUEL CONSUMPTION DISPLAY
DISTANCE TO EMPTY RANGE
HEADLIGHT HIGHT ADJUSTER
FRONT SEAT BELT HEIGHT ADJUSTER
FRONT AND REAR SEAT ADJUSTABLE HEADREST
KEY ALARM
HEADLIGHT ALARM
FOOT REST
ACCESSORY SOCKET
COAT HANGER

COLOURS AVAILABLE
DEEP SAPPHIRE BLUE
SHERBET BLUE
HABANERO RED
ALABASTER SILVER
CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
TAFETA WHITE.

well friends tried to cover the most i can, still you feel something missing or want to know just keep on with your questions.A proper test drive on roads would be on wednesday along with proper pictures.Till the experience so far, and my td with i20 too yes its almost 1L more expensive to i20 but worth going for.I dont see any competetion for jazz cause honda has its own customer base which doesnt go around market to check out other vehicles but IMO yes it might affect the sales of its own honda city.Thanks.
Tomorrow is the official launch date of Jazz.
the specs are shared from the brouchere got from the dealer yesterday and other two pics are shared below which shows the same honda steering with controls and digi trip meter inside console and another one is of dash console with controls and system.

hope to see these pictures posted, one is of the steering with digital console and another one is of the dash with controls and player.
Honda Jazz coming on 10th;TAI Review+pics on Pg.17! - Page 19 (source)
here the link for more pics.

Last edited by vijaythacker : 9th June 2009 at 15:35. Reason: pictures added.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:28   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesh.b View Post
awesome job with the pics raj_5004.
interestingly, they were highlighting the feature - MAGIC Seats - which on further inquiry turned out to be fold-able rear seats with 60-40 split.
they are not only 60-40 split , check the below link to look how it works.

Honda Jazz Interior | Honda Fit (Jazz) Japan Car of the Year
Closed Thread