Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a 3 Door Hatch or a 5 Door?
3 Door 70 45.45%
5 Door 84 54.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th July 2010, 17:08   #46
BHPian

Well, that is how it is. Europe prefers two doors and we prefer 4 doors. No one asks them why don't they prefer 4 door hatches. Let that be difference between Europe and us. May be Car company can have few models with 2 doors (like AT models) for two door lovers.

Probably, this also reflects family culture in India. We have to think about old parents. It is pain to use 2 door car for older people if they are sitting at rear.
radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 17:09   #47
BHPian

In case of an accident you would need to replace only 2 doors instead of 4!!! lol just kidding.
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 17:25   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
In case of an accident you would need to replace only 2 doors instead of 4!!! lol just kidding.
LOL , on the same line, you get two extra doors at same cost.
radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 17:30   #49
BHPian

Mostly cars in Europe are like 1 person = 1 car and all the members of the family who can drive will have a car of their own.
This would typically be the case of people who would go for such 2 door cars. Its their flexibility that gives them the choice.

And its the sheer volume of such people who have this flexibility which has the companies provide such options to consumers.

India mentality is a little different.
Car is seen as something which is supposed take atleast a family of 4-5 comfortably together. A 2 door is not viable/practical in such situations. It may be good for couples but the moment you start to bring in kids and parents into the equation you need rear doors for them.

The population of people who would have a car of their own and likewise for every family member is too low here compared to larger volumes.

Last edited by jigbarai : 19th July 2010 at 17:32.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 17:41   #50
BHPian

Smile Why 2 doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Simple question. Most European markets get small two door hatches but in India, we don't.
With all this in favour of the two door, why don't we have more of these?
My words.. But just the opposite question.. Why European cars are 2 doors?
IMHO ..apart from looks (which are subjective anyways), I see no benefit. But, the cons of 2 doors (accessibility to rear passengers) clearly out-weigh the looks benefit (if any)..
dmplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

In the so-called developed countries, 2 door cars are preferred by many who travel alone. The single people earn enough to afford a car and pay for its fuel. Quite unlike India. In India, by the time you can afford a car, you usually are a family man.

Moreover, Indian society is family oriented. When you buy a car, you usually take your parents (and if you are married, your in-laws). In the west, their parents (or in-laws) have their own cars! Indian economy is still evolving. Now more and more people are able to afford cars. So our future generation might prefer 2-door cars, because their parents/in-laws will have their own cars!

For that matter, I would gladly have bought a 2 door Palio if one was available. It would be cheaper than 4-door car, and would serve my purpose (as I am a bachelor and plan/hope/pray to remain for a few more years!).
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:19   #52

Default Families dont drive hatch backs in Europe.

Here in Denmark, two door cars are mostly used by singles or young couples (i.e. not families). A family of 3-4 hardly (almost never seen) drives in hatch back. They prefer station wagons for family.
P.S: Here we also get 2 seat version (i.e. only two front seats) of BMW, VW, etc. And they are hugely popular among youngsters and companies. Reason: low registeration tax on 2 seat version.
rahulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

In addition to the old Standard Herald cars, Zen Carbon was one such two door hatch released in India. Do not seem to have done well and was subsequently pulled out by Maruti. I think it was ahead of its time. I still see one in my apartment parking lot.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:25   #54
BHPian

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 cruiser View Post
You have replied your question in your post itself, maximum of these hatches are used as family cars in India, so i think it wont justify the figures for production. Though i would also like to try my hands on a 2 door hatch but definetly not with the same BHP engine. If 2 door hatch it should have more power.
1 advantage I can think of is reduced weight because of the absence of locks and equipment for rolling up and down of rear windows!

Last edited by scuderiamania : 19th July 2010 at 18:26.
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Just thinking loud

What are the benefits of two door over four ?
Other than looks
any help from folks out there in TBhp

cheers
I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time. What is it that has some people going gaga over two doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
1 advantage I can think of is reduced weight because of the absence of locks and equipment for rolling up and down of rear windows!
I have to say if it's just the weight advantage, these people are very sensitive. even a couple of water bottles or an overweight passenger will offset that.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:35   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I had started a similar thread 2 years ago with a poll.

With more and more young, single people buying B seg cars time has come for hot 2 door hatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time. What is it that has some people going gaga over two doors.
For the sporty look. (style ka mamla hai) All sports cars are 2 doors only. lower weight and better stiffness is bonus.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I had started a similar thread 2 years ago with a poll.
I just realized I searched for two door hatches before creating the thread. It should have been three door hatch instead. You can merge this if necessary.

Speaking of Europe, they have both options there, don't they? Two door and four door. So it doesn't make sense to ask why they have only two doors while we have four. They have both options to choose from but we have only the four door option here.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Boss, we live in a country where a good number of people would be questioning why there aren't third row of seats in hatchbacks like MUVs

The target audience for 3 Door hatches is too miniscule in India. Won't work here.
kiku007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 19:11   #59
BHPian

Since there would be two doors lesser , us Indians would expect a lower price ( much lower infact ) that would of course not be possible .

Indians have for long compromised on style for matters like fuel economy , price etc . Resale Value is another question mark . That might deter some potential buyers .

The numbers are just not enough for manufacturers to go through the trouble of making them availaible here .
KRf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 19:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Boss, we live in a country where a good number of people would be questioning why there aren't third row of seats in hatchbacks like MUVs

The target audience for 3 Door hatches is too miniscule in India. Won't work here.
Good answer! The market has not evolved from the A to B transportation and family types to design lovers. However if a 2 door 5 seater is launched at the same price, people would want to look at it. I don't know how many would like the idea of pulling the front seat and entering the car though.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote