Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a 3 Door Hatch or a 5 Door?
3 Door 70 45.45%
5 Door 84 54.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th November 2010, 07:44   #121
BHPian

But the manufactures can think of bringing the 3 door car as on option in their best selling models and price it that much lower to target the bachelor/spinster crowd. I find 3 door hatch more of a lifestyle car than anything else. It will definitely appeal to the youth among us. This is something that I was hoping Hyundai would do with its i series cars.
Liverpool_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 08:43   #122
BHPian

3 door is something to save cost, not an utility by any means and no wonder our car makers are not dumb. I bet almost 90% of those who voted for 3 door will take back their vote if such a car were really available, because then the missing function would be glaring.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 17:09   #123
BHPian

Dont forget that in India there is a good majority of people whose brains are totally wired different.
To them its not just about what they like in the car .. but
"What will be the Re-sale value and how easy would it be to sell it off later" ???
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 18:39   #124
BHPian

Wow, I'm very very surprised that 44.20% voted for 3 door over 5 door.

Would those of you who voted for 3 door please elaborate on why you voted so, assuming the price difference is only 15-20K.

Haven't found any decent answers beyond I don't need the 2 extra doors, to which my response is, "Why not have 2 extra doors? You never know when you'd wan't to carry an extra person/people which you wouldn't be able to in a 3 door". Even if you have a small family, I'm sure you would occasionally have friends in your car.

So those who voted for 3 door, please clue us in.
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 22:31   #125
Senior - BHPian

@kadana J Thats absolutely true,even if a person is a bachelor there must be times when he might need 3-4 seats.

So i wonder why do 3 door cars sell in developed countries in the 1st place?India too has a significant unmarried and working population but 95% will never consider a 3 door.Is it because people abroad can afford another car for family duties?
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 23:38   #126
Senior - BHPian

Actually the whole idea of a 3-door hatch is that you travel alone or max with one person or with just your luggage!!

For me, owning a car is not exactly about practicality etc.
I feel that loving a car is all that matters!

People don't buy 3 or 2-door cars for practicality!

(Definitely practicality is essential if one is looking for best bang for the buck people carrier or on a tight budget and wants the best for his money)

I feel people here too can afford another car for their families.

Loads of people carriers come for less than what hatches like Hyundai i20, polo, jazz cost!

And the last thing a guy is thinking about before buying a 3-door over a 5-door vehicle is, money!

If a bachelor, even if occasionally needs to carry 4-5 ppl along with him, then he's wrong considering a 3-door hatch!(its not a rule that bachelors HAVE to buy a 3-door hatch!)

Whats wrong with launching a 3-door one here!?

We get the same engine in a lighter car! = better performance lol

Family guys - stick to 5-door cars
Let us enjoy a lil' with the 3-door ones!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 23:59   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quite frankly it is irritating for others to get out and in a 2 door hatch, where we have a provision of tilting the seats forward to allow back seat passenger movement. My colleagues' wife used to get irritated while entering and exiting the Mustang from the rear seat. It can be quite uncomfortable.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 00:09   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Quite frankly it is irritating for others to get out and in a 2 door hatch, where we have a provision of tilting the seats forward to allow back seat passenger movement. My colleagues' wife used to get irritated while entering and exiting the Mustang from the rear seat. It can be quite uncomfortable.
That's because people who buy 3-door hatch-backs are people who are making it clear to everyone around them that they like their car and that they'd drive it themselves and probably have just one more person with them, at times.

Also, most people who buy cars in India have families and they will be expected to ferry them around without compromising in any way, as opposed to people who own cars in Europe/US/Japan?Australia and other matured markets where there are many single people who own cars!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 11:45   #129
BHPian

Personally, I like a 3 door hatch with just 2 seats and no back seat (like Smart)
That would make some real sense in our overcrowded streets.
Any idea why we do not have a PICO (smaller than Nano)?
aroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 13:30   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
We get the same engine in a lighter car! = better performance lol

Family guys - stick to 5-door cars
Let us enjoy a lil' with the 3-door ones!
Okay, better performance is definitely a good reason to go for a 3-door hatch,
but how much of a performance increase will one see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's because people who buy 3-door hatch-backs are people who are making it clear to everyone around them that they like their car and that they'd drive it themselves and probably have just one more person with them, at times.
Does that imply people who buy 5-door cars do NOT like their cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Personally, I like a 3 door hatch with just 2 seats and no back seat (like Smart)
That would make some real sense in our overcrowded streets.
Any idea why we do not have a PICO (smaller than Nano)?

These type of Ultra-Small Cars (Reva sized I assume you mean) definitely have some market potential, but I'm more curious about those who would go for a large 3 door hatch (eg 120 3-door).
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 13:50   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post

Does that imply people who buy 5-door cars do NOT like their cars?
Not at all! People would buy 5-door cars over 3-door cars just because it's more practical. They choose to buy a car keeping in mind their requirements i.e. ferrying family members, shuttling between cities, etc. On the other hand, people who choose 3-door cars over 5-door cars have chosen to buy it because they like it. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote