Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th June 2009, 11:31   #16
BHPian

The main reason I see to buy GM products in India is the pricing. You can buy a Spark for Rs. 30,000 cheaper than a similarly loaded Santro. Not to mention that it comes with 3 years of free maintenance.
CarsPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 11:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
All those who who believe GM India will not be affected by the C11 filing, please take a look at this. History has a funny way of repeating itself.

Bankruptcy will not affect us -- Daewoo India

Korea shut down will not hit Daewoo India
I just slapped myself for my earlier comment. Your post is noteworthy.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 13:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
The main reason I see to buy GM products in India is the pricing. You can buy a Spark for Rs. 30,000 cheaper than a similarly loaded Santro. Not to mention that it comes with 3 years of free maintenance.
I have decided to stay away from the Spark,though I like it. Rs 30,000 is not incentive enough to risk ulcers!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 18:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by budmaash View Post
I thought that a big chunk of the Army Contracts were given to Hummer only so don't know how will they get more contracts if they sell Hummer (Pls. Pardon me if wrong )
Actually what the army uses is the HMMWV popularly known as the Humvee. The Hummer H1 was based on the the HMMV but apart from that there are no similarities. The HMMWV is produced by AM General - a totally separate company. GM used to only own the Hummer brand name. The H2 and H3 infact are completely different from the original HMMWV's and are based on GM platforms. So the army will continue to get it's supply of Humvee's from AM general.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 18:20   #20
BHPian

Default Re: GM looking at Rs 2 lakh mini car for India

Well time to revive the thread. Apparently, GM has not given up on its cheap, small car plans for India. And with the Hyundai H800 about to be launched soon, I think GM's small car project becomes all the more intersting.

Quote:
At General Motors India, the plan is to have a new entry-level car by the end of this year [2011].
The General Motors car, due to be pitted against market leader Maruti Suzuki's top seller Alto, was originally scheduled to hit the roads in 2012.
"We will bring another small car that will cater to the needs of entry-level customers," said P Balendran, General Motors India's vice-president for corporate affairs.
GM is refocusing its efforts on smaller cars after the 2008 slowdown triggered a shift away from fuel-guzzlers. GM's portfolio of small cars now include the Spark, the Beat and the Aveo U-VA.
Source: just-auto
Gooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 19:08   #21
BHPian

I guess the way GM is going in terms of its product launches this looks like a very distant dream. Their new launches are yet to take off. Beat is off to a good start but lot needs to be done in terms of localization before they can think of launching a car under 2 lakhs. Especially suppliers & the dealership network. Their network is too short to tap market across small districts. Looking at Nano's numbers I am sure GM should would be thinking twice to bring in their small car. I got a feeling that this market is let to take off in our country and GM's best bet will be in Small, Mid and SUV segments.
NikhilReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 20:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

GM still has the Daewoo version of Matiz and a 800cc Spark running in Pakistan, so they just have to make up their mind and launch them in India.
But they don't have the comfort of any big selling car and should not risk such a launch at the cost of a Spark or Beat.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 21:55   #23
BHPian

Spark now sells at 2.5L for the base model.
If GM wanted a car at 2L then they just have to plonk a 660cc or 800cc engine in the Spark. . Electronic Power steering instead of HPS

If they want to take it to the extreme then like the Nano they could also
Different size wheels for front and rear.
3 nuts on each for fastening them
Ultra slim seats
zero insulation from engine.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote