Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:38   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 352
Thanked: Once
Default GM looking at Rs 2 lakh mini car for India

GM looking at Rs 2 lakh mini car for India- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

"NEW DELHI: It may have entered bankruptcy protection in the US, but General Motors still has ambitious plans for India. The auto major is planning to develop a small car which will be its cheapest globally, at a possible price tag of under Rs 2 lakh.

Nick Reilly, GM Group V-P, told TOI that the company was looking at developing a car from India that would be positioned below the ‘Spark' mini car. "I would say we are studying that... and (we) do think there is an opportunity for something below the current mini car offering Spark," Reilly said in a conference call from Shanghai. However, it would "not be a Tata Nano equivalent", he added. "
CarsPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:59   #2
BHPian
 
tortoiseNhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 527
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
"NEW DELHI: It may have entered bankruptcy protection in the US, but General Motors still has ambitious plans for India. The auto major is planning to develop a small car which will be its cheapest globally, at a possible price tag of under Rs 2 lakh.
Tata's 1 lakh car ended up at close to 1.3 lakh for the end-user. Now if GM's 2 lakh car's end-user price is proportionately calculated it comes to around 2.6 lakhs. Now we are already in the Spark territory. I suppose GM's 2 lakh car is a Spark with the 800 cc Matiz engine; nothing more and nothing less.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:04   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Tata's 1 lakh car ended up at close to 1.3 lakh for the end-user. Now if GM's 2 lakh car's end-user price is proportionately calculated it comes to around 2.6 lakhs. Now we are already in the Spark territory. I suppose GM's 2 lakh car is a Spark with the 800 cc Matiz engine; nothing more and nothing less.
Quite interesting. But just consider that the 1lac tag was given how many years before and what was the steel and other cost price at that time.

Btw, I think the 2lc is again ex-showroom price, if at all comes in same price.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:15   #4
BHPian
 
abhi1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 441
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

With these announcements, they are just trying to tell the Indian public to keep buying the cars, because they have stopped that since february fearing Daewoo like results after the bankruptcy. They are trying to instill confidence because if they don't, they will sell just 20 Magnums and 50 Aveo sedans like the past few months which is almost a no no when Maruti, Hyundai have no issues selling 9000 Dzires and an even greater number of i10's per month.

Watch out for a ad campaign saying GM is on a roll in India. I do not believe they will invest to make a new 2 lac car in India for the developing markets. That itself is a lot of work and about 3 years of it, it has to be the Spark with Matiz's 800cc engine.

This happens in all countries. Ford's market share in US is the highest since 2006 ( I saw today on BBC), people stopped buying GM and Chrysler because the Chapter 11 was coming close.
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:34   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
hillram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,827
Thanked: 914 Times
Default

I cant believe how GM can make such preposterous announcements when they are a sinking ship.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:51   #6
BHPian
 
abhi1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 441
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I cant believe how GM can make such preposterous announcements when they are a sinking ship.
I don't agree at all. They are anything but a sinking ship. The new GM will be a far better company and something the old GM always aspired to become. Imagine the new GM without the baggage of the old one which is hummer, UAW etc.

The new GM will be a far leaner, meaner competitor and don't forget they have GM Daewoo with them to take on developing markets. Announcements like these are natural. They want to make sure people know they are not sinking which I think is okay. American bankruptcy protection is very different from what we saw in Daewoo's case. GM India will be the part of the new GM and so will be GM China where it is the largest automaker and of course the Korean operations too will come under the new GM umbrella.

They have great cars lined up too - the Beat (worldwide Matiz replacement - will co-exist in India with Spark) and the Cruze that will challenge Skoda Laura.

The American line-up will also have very exciting hybrids, more than any other competitor.
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:10   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,648
Thanked: 1,997 Times
Default

Actually GM was planning something on those lines for a while. However the C11 bankruptcy of the parent has definitely put a spanner in their works. Till date I believe GM has invested something like 800 million greenbacks here... All that was GM, US money which was invested. Hereafter though GM US will find the going tougher and may not be able to invest any further.

In such a scenarion where does GM India envisages to raise the money to develop an entirely new platform? I find that part a little tough. In fact if they (GM India) manage to extract any money from their bankers after the GM US fiasco it will be a big achievement on their part. I do not see any new platform coming out anytime soon. Although one far away possibility remains. It seems like GM Korea managed to raise some good amount from the KDB recently. Now if all the profit making units (mostly GM Asia, to loosely say so) can come together on one platform and start cross-subsidizing each others efforts to develop joint models then it may happen. But as I said, thats a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
I don't agree at all. They are anything but a sinking ship. The new GM will be a far better company and something the old GM always aspired to become...
Abhi, I think you have picked up a lot that the media is saying, which is not bad as per se. However there is also a lot of hype involved in the media releases (sometimes in the guise of articles). True, GM US has a vision statement and what you say may also be a part of that. So yes, they are probably not a shinking ship.

However going further things will only get tougher. As it is, with 60% holding of US Govt and 10% each of Canada and Germany, the new GM is already being dubbed as Government Motors. They will have a huge amount invested through the government route and all that will be taxpayer's money. Do you think a government organization can really be nimble enough to react to the market forces quickly enough? Forget investing in overseas markets to develop country specific products for the Non-US markets.

I do not see GM India launching a brand new platform from scratch any time soon, unless it can self-generate the funds which is a tall ask IMO.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd June 2009 at 17:23.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 18:37   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

Big plans for a company who's filing for Bankruptcy. Talk is cheap....
Chevy Cruze would have been a great car, too bad its GM.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:50   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/MAA
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

GM(India) is unaffected by the Chapter 11 filing. As Daewoo cars will continue to be the source for India market , i don't see any problems in new badged Chevys coming this way.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:43   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

All those who who believe GM India will not be affected by the C11 filing, please take a look at this. History has a funny way of repeating itself.

Bankruptcy will not affect us -- Daewoo India

Korea shut down will not hit Daewoo India
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 00:58   #11
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

They have to...

Definitely after their bankruptcy.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 02:16   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
avishar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: kolkata/bangalore,india
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 686 Times
Default

I believe Daewoo and GM are two different car companies,and how each will or has be/been affected by bankruptcy will be different.GM is a massive car company whose only the american version as well as some of the european brands are the bane of the group.However it has a profitable Latin american,Korean and Asia-pacific subsidiaries which gives GM a better chance to make out of this bankruptcy in a successful manner.
GM india might have some funding issues for expansion but with the Talegoan and Halol plants at full capacity they anyway will have some 200,000 units which is enough for Beat and Cruze.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 06:47   #13
BHPian
 
dude131's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Goa / Melbourne
Posts: 125
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I feel that GM will become even stronger after it emerges from Chpt 11. Now that the US Govt own 60% of the company, GM will most likely win a majority of the contracts to supply government vehicles and also the US govt will not allow the company to fail.
Plus as mentioned earlier, after discarding the dead weight ie UAW and Hummer, GM can focus on its core brands.
The recent cars from GM like the Malibu, Cruze and Beat have been getting rave reviews.
dude131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 08:49   #14
Newbie
 
budmaash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 19
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
GM is a massive car company whose only the american version as well as some of the european brands are the bane of the group.However it has a profitable Latin american,Korean and Asia-pacific subsidiaries which gives GM a better chance to make out of this bankruptcy in a successful manner.
I think we are forgetting that GM US is the parent company of the group. The Country managers can say what they want, but if the Parent Company is liquidated, I don't think the subsidiaries will survive. Most likely they will be sold off to potential suitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude131 View Post
I feel that GM will become even stronger after it emerges from Chpt 11. Now that the US Govt own 60% of the company, GM will most likely win a majority of the contracts to supply government vehicles and also the US govt will not allow the company to fail.
Plus as mentioned earlier, after discarding the dead weight ie UAW and Hummer, GM can focus on its core brands.
I thought that a big chunk of the Army Contracts were given to Hummer only so don't know how will they get more contracts if they sell Hummer (Pls. Pardon me if wrong )
budmaash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 10:40   #15
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: India
Posts: 360
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

It's a charade. The "new" GM will have the same old management (Fritz Henderson and his fellow clowns) and culture which led it to its present state. GM didn't become vulnerable in last 12 months due to credit crisis as media is misreporting, but have been a borderline case for 10+ years.

GM have been booking losses, and facing reduced market share for a long time in US. Of course, they kept the volumes high to give illusion of size......but volumes sold at no profit (or losses, as now) are useless. Now as last ploy they want to try this high volume tactic in India against established players who have competitive products, laughable.

There's no hope for this company, they might not crash today because papa Barack is running the currency printing presses overtime, but instead GM will crash and burn in an even bigger fashion couple years later.

For Indian consumers, I see not one reason to purchase a GM product when similar level products are available from other manufacturers in far better financial position (with better after sales service to boot).

If we were Chinese, yes, we should continue to buy GM products since in China the local joint venture partners are strong, when GM collapses they will take over the stake and production will continue. Not so in India, GM are on their own. No other manufacturer will come forward to pick up the remains, remember Daewoo's factory couldn't be sold and that was when there was geniune demand for extra manufacturing capacity.

Last edited by SuperSyn : 4th June 2009 at 10:42.
SuperSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st ever Mini meet in Calicut. Post here for all future Calicut mini meets.. MaserQ The Team-BHP Meet Section 17 8th August 2017 04:32
New MINI 3-Door & 5-Door launched in India @ Rs 31.85 - 35.20 lakh Tushar The Indian Car Scene 33 13th April 2015 18:00
Piaggio plans mini-car with Rs 1.5-lakh price tag airbender The Indian Car Scene 14 4th November 2010 21:26
New Mini "Mini/ Minor" CARDEEP The International Automotive Scene 0 17th July 2010 10:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:31.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks