Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st July 2009, 13:55   #31
BHPian

i actully like NISSAN PIXO more than alto. it looks more european.
tushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:48   #32
BHPian

Very nice Frankie. Didn't know that the ALTO is such an old car. I just knew about it's 4 versions that are(were) available here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
Nice Marketing Funda (Phillip Kotler would be proud)
Even today Same Car - Four different brands
Maruti A-STAR (India)
Suzuki CELERIO (Asia & Middle East)
Nissan PIXO (Middle-East & Africa)
Suzuki ALTO (Europe)
But question is why would any company want to do this, I mean the wierd and at times confusing naming conventions. I logic I could find in using such naming conventions is that Suzuki wont actually have to phase out one model to introduce a new one in a Market like India which is itself a "unique" market of sorts. So if Maruti launched a model called the "800" in the mid 80s, they didnt have to phase out the hot-selling model in the early 90s since they were going to launch a newer version of the same car if they named it something else like say a "Zen" and placed it as a slightly better and new product for a little more price. Again, launch a newer version of the same car a few years later. Strip the car down to the basics and call it a as compromise between the "800" and the "Zen" and oh yes give it a new name - the "ALTO" (it's original name). But Maruti will have it's way so they let the innocuous Indian consumer feed on the "ALTO" and launch the latest version of the same car with again that's right a new name "A-Star"!!! Reminds me of Kapil Paaji, "Maruti da jawab nahi".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Won't be surprised if Grand Vitara is called the "Pathan".
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Here is the latest Alto, in Japan.
Source: paultan.org
Attached Images

HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:25   #34
BHPian

Wow. nice compilation of pics and facts. Good Work Frank and others who contributed. I didnt know that the Alto has so much lineage behind it. Cool.

Below are pics of Alto sold in Germany now, prices starting at €8900. Available in both manual and Auto versions. Pricey huh...

Source: http://auto.suzuki.de/
Attached Thumbnails
A Pictorial- The Legendary Suzuki Alto: : Different Versions all over the world!-12altogaleriemotiv1280x1024px01.jpg  

A Pictorial- The Legendary Suzuki Alto: : Different Versions all over the world!-12altogaleriemotiv1280x1024px10.jpg  

A Pictorial- The Legendary Suzuki Alto: : Different Versions all over the world!-altogalerie1280x1024.jpg  

Last edited by basilmabraham : 23rd December 2009 at 20:37.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 23:24   #35
BHPian

Default Re: A Pictorial- The Legendary Suzuki Alto: : Different Versions all over the world!

we are forgetting the MIGHTY BOY !
Attached Thumbnails
A Pictorial- The Legendary Suzuki Alto: : Different Versions all over the world!-mightyboy001.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by dr chill : 30th October 2011 at 23:26.
dr chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A Pictorial- The Legendary Suzuki Alto: : Different Versions all over the world!

We now have the new Maruti 800 coming up! I am excited to know it's releasing soon. They should NOT name it the Alto. The 800 will suit this car's character and awaken the 800 brand. I was shocked when they discontinued the 800 and called the Alto the Alto. I would have named it the 800 all over again!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

The Chinese Alto face lifted version.
Source & link http://www.carnewschina.com/2012/08/...buts-in-china/
Attached Images

rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 13:53   #38
BHPian

Its amazing how things in India work, don't they? We know of lots of cars where two generations of the same car are sold simultaneously. Examples - Skoda Octavia/Laura. Hyundai Accent/Verna. Mitsubishi Lancer/Cedia. Pajero/Montero etc etc.

But the best part is 3-4 generations of the same car (internationally) being sold simultaneously!! Alto-Zen-Maruti 800. And now the A-star-Estilo-800-Alto!
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 17:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The Chinese Alto face lifted version.
Is it just me or does the Chinese version's front looks classy?

PS: The rear does not match with the front in any way.
dheepak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 20:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
Is it just me or does the Chinese version's front looks classy?
On second look, the grill resembles that of the new Estilo. Sure looks are subjective.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 21:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
We now have the new Maruti 800 coming up! I am excited to know it's releasing soon. They should NOT name it the Alto. The 800 will suit this car's character and awaken the 800 brand. I was shocked when they discontinued the 800 and called the Alto the Alto. I would have named it the 800 all over again!

Maruti better call the new alto as Alto800 only for two reasons

1.People have moved on from the 800 image and naming the new car as 800 only will result in low sales and its better that alto name is accompanied with it as Alto is still very much accepted.

2.The Alto800 looks down right UGLY the previous generation 800 were far better looking then the current new car which is coming out which looks to be a mixture of Figo,i-20,A-star and E-on from outside and from inside 80% copy of Xylo and tid bits from the bin of maruti cars.
The maruti designers could had done a better job on this facelift. Even the Old alto which it replaces looks far more better.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 21:52   #42
MHG
BHPian

The Alto k10 and the new Alto 800 I believe are India-only models right ? Or are these cars sold in any other markets to get their own generation/version numbers ?
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote