Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th June 2009, 17:27   #1
BHPian

Wink Hindalco to stop production of Aura alloys

Hindalco industries is to wind up it's alloy wheel business this month. Seems that sustained losses and the flooding of Indian market by cheap chinese alloys has forced this decision. I guess good discounts are in order since distributors would be offloading thier holdings.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 18:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Naaah. That's not the reason. Labour problems is the main reason. Their workers had been on strike since almost Jan. Finally the top management decided to shut the plant down instead of give in to their demands.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 18:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

so who is going to step into their shoes and make OE alloys for manufacturers ?
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 18:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good that Hindalco is shutting down.Their designs were not appealing to anyone.
Ashoka Wheels the biggest alloys dealer in Hyd said that Aura are never prefered by customers and only some carmakers chose them as OEMs.
Aura..RIP !!!
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 19:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@hillram --- That is not true. The fact is, Aura had the biggest marketshare in India. They made very good quality alloys. Not like the crap that comes in from China under various names.

Their designs were a little boring and may not have appealed to some of the younger crowd, but they were changing it. Have you seen the Black magic series of wheels? Really good looking designs.

And almost ALL carmakers in India chose Aura. Tata, Maruti, Honda, Fiat, Hyundai.... I thinjk only Toyota made their wheels in house.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

That I think should be considered as a bad business decision.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 20:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
@hillram --- That is not true. The fact is, Aura had the biggest marketshare in India. They made very good quality alloys. Not like the crap that comes in from China under various names.

Their designs were a little boring and may not have appealed to some of the younger crowd, but they were changing it. Have you seen the Black magic series of wheels? Really good looking designs.

And almost ALL carmakers in India chose Aura. Tata, Maruti, Honda, Fiat, Hyundai.... I thinjk only Toyota made their wheels in house.
+1. Aura alloys are high on quality and the has fantastic fit and finish.
Silver Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 20:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely. No imported brand(with the exception of genuine Lenso) can match the durability of Aura. The paint finish was also very very good. The paint did not start peeling off after a few weeks. They rarely got bent. Most of the Chinese alloys get bent all too easily.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is bad news if it is true!

Agree with Nikhil, Aura makes top quality alloys though their designs may not be jazzy.

Good I bought 5 pcs of Aura alloys, instead of 4 pcs we usually buy.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 20:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
This is bad news if it is true!

Agree with Nikhil, Aura makes top quality alloys though their designs may not be jazzy.

Good I bought 5 pcs of Aura alloys, instead of 4 pcs we usually buy.
People usually buy 5 pcs of alloys. Only tyres...

And the news is 100% true :( . We should know. We've been expecting this for a few months now actually.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Aura never impressed me because of its designs, and the same is seen here in Delhi. Not many dealers stock Aura, they'll happily stock Chinese alloys and others like HR, Neo (India) etc., which have a good demand.

Talking in terms of supply to OE, high end models from Maruti stable like SX4 have Enkei's and Swift seems to have non-Aura alloy as they have JWL insignia on them.

I remember how they started as Hindalco Aluminium alloys, or something similar to this. There designs might not have been that impressive but certainly looked good on Baleno and WagonR.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 20:49   #12
Team-BHP Support

How's the quality of Accelere and Neo?
Maybe they can fill Aura's shoes. Both will have to offer more designs though. Especially Accelere.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 20:56   #13
BHPian

I second that. Not only good quality but also the finish was impeccable. Dunno who's going to fill the OE void though. I guess they would have some quantity commitment towards OE manufactureres to be fulfilled. Nikhil,the labour unrest has been a contributing factor,but of late thier bottom lines also have taken huge hits. Besides the export market being considerably reduced. Aditya, neither accelere nor neo manufacture thier own wheels. Accelere in imported from taiwan, while Neo, well I guess most people who know the trade understand that neo imports most of thier designs.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 9th June 2009 at 21:02.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 20:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata and MM source alloys from Aura right?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 21:34   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
How's the quality of Accelere and Neo?
Maybe they can fill Aura's shoes. Both will have to offer more designs though. Especially Accelere.
The quality of Apollo Accelere is good. Or it should be given that it is made by YHI, the same guys who do a lot of manufacturing for enkei, oz, etc...

Neo, well the less said, the better. I rarely see Neo wheels down south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I second that. Not only good quality but also the finish was impeccable. Dunno who's going to fill the OE void though. I guess they would have some quantity commitment towards OE manufactureres to be fulfilled. Nikhil,the labour unrest has been a contributing factor,but of late thier bottom lines also have taken huge hits. Besides the export market being considerably reduced. Aditya, neither accelere nor neo manufacture thier own wheels. Accelere in imported from taiwan, while Neo, well I guess most people who know the trade understand that neo imports most of thier designs.
Enkei. They have a manufacturing plant in Pune(or thereabouts). It's a joint venture with some Indian company. Maruti shifted to Enkei a few months back when the labour problems started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Tata and MM source alloys from Aura right?
Used to .