Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2006, 12:53   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Came across this old thread. Very useful, but I have a couple of questions, since I usually do follow most of the checklist, anyway. I did have problems with my Swift, but basically the choice was refusing to take delivery of the car I had paid for at considerable risk (with all disclaimers, dealer could have done what he wanted).

Once the car is paid for and registered, what are real options for the customer? Let me say I observed 10 defects. All dealer will say that he will get it repaired/rectified free of cost. But that is exactly the point - why should a new car be repaired/rectified? In case of Swift I even dropped in unannounced to inspect and found dent in door panel. But sorry sir, mumbai traffic, what to do, already registered, we will re-paint. And it seems only I can certainly tell the paint is different from factory paint. Dealer said either I can take delivery or leave with him, he will again re-paint. And re-do clutch setting. Refused to accept gearbox whine in 5th. Claims normal for all swifts. But he will not send to factory or get new car for me or replace clutch / gearbox.

In the end offered to waive 10k of accessories not paid for after I started shouting. Flatly said if I wanted I could leave the car with him for as long as I wanted at my risk too! Complaining to Maruti had no effect. Dealer noted that customer came, complaint rectified, was satisfied and that was end of complaint.

In the card, letter, etc. everything sent to Maruti, HO of dealer - no effect.

Whine has reduced and clutch setting was re-done next day and mileage is ok. Also while selling car, it may be said it is accident damaged, but usually I keep cars for some time, so I am not bothering further, but question is how finnicky should one be?
sandeep108 is offline  
Old 12th October 2006, 23:24   #32
BHPian
 
nikkibike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: QoAS
Posts: 523
Thanked: 2 Times
Default hi there

sandeep108, I too noticed few defects when I took delivery of my car last week!! But seems like those are common defects as its there with all cars when checked with the other swifts!!!!
(1) The door gaps (top-with the frame) when looking from front on both sides found different on all swifts with my dealer!!!
(2) Fixed a Nippon make clock from dealer....but it gives a very low volume high frequency "beep" when the park/head lights are on!!!! This is also there when checked with other swifts!!!
(3) 1500 kms covered!! First service over.... now I guess the tyre roll noise is popping up!!!! Its with JK Vectra!!
(4) I too doubt the humming noise that you mentioned at O/d!!!! Gotta check it after second service!!!
nikkibike is offline  
Old 13th October 2006, 09:18   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 93
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hi Guys,

Its absolutely a great check list. However I have a small but serious question. Ford dealership has told that I would have to pay all the money before the delivery of the car and before registration too. That means, when i go to pick up the delivery, I would have already paid for the car and the registration would have been over. In that situation, does me finding out fault would affect the dealer much? Or is it something like I should check the car before they send it for registration and take the delivery later? Your suggestions would be great!

- B
talkingpebbles is offline  
Old 13th October 2006, 10:14   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default

This is one neat list. Wish it was around when I bought my car.
vikram_d is offline  
Old 13th October 2006, 11:14   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingpebbles
hi Guys,

Its absolutely a great check list. However I have a small but serious question. Ford dealership has told that I would have to pay all the money before the delivery of the car and before registration too. That means, when i go to pick up the delivery, I would have already paid for the car and the registration would have been over. In that situation, does me finding out fault would affect the dealer much? Or is it something like I should check the car before they send it for registration and take the delivery later? Your suggestions would be great!

- B
How I wish we could do a check before registration. But while in some cases it may be possible, I doubt that dealer can really do/allow that. Your car is allotted by Ford (after dealer interaction) and only they can change that. If you do not pay the money, they will not allot the car so no point in any inspection. Once you have paid the money you are sunk anyway. I feel best way is to keep all accessories payment pending (again if dealer allows) and then if there is any problem, at least you have some strength with which to talk about the defects.
sandeep108 is offline  
Old 13th October 2006, 11:21   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 93
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
How I wish we could do a check before registration. But while in some cases it may be possible, I doubt that dealer can really do/allow that. Your car is allotted by Ford (after dealer interaction) and only they can change that. If you do not pay the money, they will not allot the car so no point in any inspection. Once you have paid the money you are sunk anyway. I feel best way is to keep all accessories payment pending (again if dealer allows) and then if there is any problem, at least you have some strength with which to talk about the defects.
Sandeep, thanks for the suggestion. However, I am taking Fiesta SXI which is loaded and no need for any accessories. That means, I am totally sunk I guess!

- B
talkingpebbles is offline  
Old 13th October 2006, 14:55   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingpebbles
Sandeep, thanks for the suggestion. However, I am taking Fiesta SXI which is loaded and no need for any accessories. That means, I am totally sunk I guess!

- B
Hey Biju, don't give up hope yet....how about a spoiler (6k) & a sunroof (forget exact amount but in the region of 40-45k), that should do the trick .

Though, unlikely the Dealer will give you delivery if you haven't paid for accessories unless you know them well - in which case, you have nothing to worry about!

By the way, I made the balance payment only when I took delivery of the car, why are they asking you to pay it off completely before you even see the car? That doesn't sound right but maybe that's the way it is with Ford dealers in Bangalore?

Last edited by suman : 13th October 2006 at 14:56.
suman is offline  
Old 13th October 2006, 18:09   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 93
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Hey Biju, don't give up hope yet....how about a spoiler (6k) & a sunroof (forget exact amount but in the region of 40-45k), that should do the trick .

Though, unlikely the Dealer will give you delivery if you haven't paid for accessories unless you know them well - in which case, you have nothing to worry about!

By the way, I made the balance payment only when I took delivery of the car, why are they asking you to pay it off completely before you even see the car? That doesn't sound right but maybe that's the way it is with Ford dealers in Bangalore?
Suman,

thank you for your kind suggestion of having a sunroof and a spoiler. I guess you want me to keep the car in the garage after buying it since i will have no money left to buy the petrol Just kidding. Somehow i dont like a spoiler on fiesta. not too atractive to me. sunroof? not very necessary i guess.

I think I have no choice but to pay them full in advance and see what happens. Will try my luck to have a peak if possible atleast before the registration. will keep you posted.

- Biju
talkingpebbles is offline  
Old 16th October 2006, 17:42   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Mods .. it would be good to consolidate the inputs in this thread in the Advice section.
shuvc is offline  
Old 16th October 2006, 20:22   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 111
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Hi guys,

Great amount of information.

I've a few questions. I'm about to book a swift and hence would appreciate any help:

1. When should this inspection be carried out? a) before registration in my name b) before I take delivery c) before final payment. I know it sounds pretty bad but it is confusing.

2. What should be the leverage that one will have/should take up when one finds a fault.

3. Finally what should be my reactions to possible situations?

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline  
Old 20th October 2006, 01:14   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Its good, very good. In fact i am planning on a car next year. This would be handy. Thanks SMG
hyper-VTEC is offline  
Old 10th November 2006, 11:21   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey
Hi guys,

Great amount of information.

I've a few questions. I'm about to book a swift and hence would appreciate any help:

1. When should this inspection be carried out? a) before registration in my name b) before I take delivery c) before final payment. I know it sounds pretty bad but it is confusing.

2. What should be the leverage that one will have/should take up when one finds a fault.

3. Finally what should be my reactions to possible situations?

Regards,
lsjey
1.: (a) - if the dealer will let you. You may have to go to his stock yard to do this. Which is generally pointless, because much of what **** happens , happens after the stock yard on way to registration / showroom.

2.: Normally dealer will insist on full payment before even allotting the car so your leverage gets mighty reduced. Trick is to keep bulk of accessories payment pending.

3.: Pray and pray hard...The salesguys are simply going to listen, promise they will take you to the moon and back and not do anything much.

Ok, ok it is not so bad but a lot happened when I was buying my swift and by a mixture of carrot and stick, I was able to get some monetary concession, but that was about it.
sandeep108 is offline  
Old 17th January 2007, 16:32   #43
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I believe it would be better if this checklist is added to general advice section, I could have read this it have been there before buying my indica v2 xeta , didnt search for this when first came to this site following a link,

I failed at the patience thing, shouted at the showroom people fiiting the fog lamps, as they were taking a lot of time. Also didnt gave any tip to the gateperson.

now the left side fog lamp is not working,don't know how are they going to respond.i will go there on this weekend.
hayasaka is offline  
Old 27th October 2007, 09:09   #44
BHPian
 
whymeonly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 40
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

I have a cedia delivery on 6th.
I have already printed out the checklist.
Let me see how much of this I can cover till the moment I am thrown off by the dealer.
whymeonly is offline  
Old 6th November 2007, 14:06   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 886
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

I am hoping to take delivery of my car on Diwali if registration formalities are over. Since, I am going to handover DD today, may be they deliver on Diwali or may be not till 15th. In any case, I have time and loaded with info from this list. Thanks to the writer and compiler and this Forum for the checklist. Its going to be immense value for me.

My answer to all the queries about the dealer not allowing to check vehicle before allotting/ temp registration is - to hell with that dealer and walk out. There are always better dealers and better cars - money is yours and headaches also will be yours in case, you pick up something bad.

Of course, we always can choose to be nice, polite and courteous , even if they are not . Not because, they are not good - but, because, we are good.
shatrughna is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List normally_crazy On buying a car 584 13th November 2017 19:01
Suzuki Baleno (Type-III/Euro-III) Oxygen Sensor Info sarbashishb Technical Stuff 12 17th September 2015 09:26
RTO inspection & registration for new cars at the dealership itself Mr.Beat The Indian Car Scene 21 7th May 2014 09:59
Pajero BS III or IV EDIT - Bought BS III maheshramaling SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 61 24th September 2012 11:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks