Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th February 2011, 14:14   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Octroi Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi all, ignited an old thread!

is anyone aware of the Octroi situation at Mira Bhayander (MBMC) ?
As per earlier news, since April10 the Octroi was abolished in Mira-Bhayander, Jalgaon, Nanded-Waghala regions and replaced with 'account based cess'.

I had purchased vehicle in June10 and the dealer had confirmed that my (residence) area at MBMC does not have Octroi and all was smooth till now. Y'day I received a notice from MBMC, that since April10 a Local Body Tax (LBT) @ 3% is levied - which I have not paid and have to pay along with penalty of 2% per month !!

I Googled, but couldnt find any concrete info. Any information would be really appreciated.

thanks,

Pranav
Today I paid the MBMC LBT fees: 3% on the vehicle cost (base cost + sale tax) + 2% monthly penalty; total was Rs.26457/- .
Penalty was for 7 months. Noteworthy, the letter was dated 01/01/2011, wherein I received it on 15/02/2011 - a clear 1+ month delay; i.e. 1 month's penalty paid unnecessarily - but no choice !

Saw another couple for the same reason.

My question is: at the time of buying itself, why didnt the dealer let me know of these changes / charges, its their job. Previously in case of Octroi, they paid it and then reimburse from customer.
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 14:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Angry Re: Octroi Rules

I think Maharashtra is the only state in India which levies Octroi charges. In between there were talks to totally abolish this levy, but I guess nothing was done about the same.

This charge sets back the cost of vehicle by atleast 15-20K.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:39   #18
BHPian

Does anyone aware of charges/octroi/tax to be paid for transferring vehicle from Thane to Mumbai? I'm planning to buy a 2008 model which is registered in Thane but as I'm staying in Mumbai will like vehicle to be registered at correct address in Mumbai
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 14:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Octroi Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Does anyone aware of charges/octroi/tax to be paid for transferring vehicle from Thane to Mumbai? I'm planning to buy a 2008 model which is registered in Thane but as I'm staying in Mumbai will like vehicle to be registered at correct address in Mumbai
IMO you will not need to pay any charges for the transfer of Thane vehicle to Mumbai. In anycase more or equal Octroi charges than the Mumbai ratesf or the scooter must have already been paid in Thane during the purchase by the Thane owner. Just to be on safe side pls confirm the rates at both the Octroi limits. Also when you do the transfer, keep the Thane Octroi paid receipt handy.
Old 24th August 2011, 14:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that once the GST comes in all these dinosaurs will be history. Maharastra has Octroi, UP has Form 31/32 and so on. I though we lived in a single country. Also, the Road Tax needs to be made the same across the land.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 14:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Angry Re: Octroi Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think that once the GST comes in all these dinosaurs will be history. Maharastra has Octroi, UP has Form 31/32 and so on. I though we lived in a single country. Also, the Road Tax needs to be made the same across the land.
I dont think the Municipal corporations would let go their golden goose called Octroi so easily. There are bound to be a lot of resistance for the same and the sufferers would be vehicle owners paying the road tax in addition to the Octroi.
Old 24th August 2011, 15:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

@ghodlur; Sometimes there are 'higher' forces at work. When Octroi was done away with in UP (ages ago) local bodies were given some compensation. They could not exactly claim the real reason; local netas, dadas, etc. thrive on the illegal income from Octroi. I am told this could be as high as 90% of the total take. I hear that there is a practice about Form 31/32 required to bring goods into UP. Transporters openly quote two rates one with Form 31 and one without So much for regulation of movement!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 16:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
IMO you will not need to pay any charges for the transfer of Thane vehicle to Mumbai.
That is not the case. Any vehicle that is being registered/transferred in MH 01/02/03 RTO must show Octroi paid receipt for BMC.

Since Octroi that was paid while registering the vehicle in Thane was paid to a different municipality, that would not work in the RTO.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 18:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Octroi Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
That is not the case. Any vehicle that is being registered/transferred in MH 01/02/03 RTO must show Octroi paid receipt for BMC.

Since Octroi that was paid while registering the vehicle in Thane was paid to a different municipality, that would not work in the RTO.
What you mean to say here is that the new Mumbai owner will have to pay Octroi charges again for transferring the vehicle from Thane even though the amount of Octroi paid in Thane is more than applicable in Mumbai?

I am not sure about this, will need to confirm.
Old 24th August 2011, 18:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yes, just like a vehicle registered in State A has to pay road tax again if transferring to State B.

Only difference is, owner can claim partial refund from state A for road tax. This is not possible with octroi though.

Usually buyer and seller share part of this octroi payment.
Old 24th August 2011, 18:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What you mean to say here is that the new Mumbai owner will have to pay Octroi charges again for transferring the vehicle from Thane even though the amount of Octroi paid in Thane is more than applicable in Mumbai?

I am not sure about this, will need to confirm.
Yes. A transfer of a used Vehicle from Thane to Mumbai attracts an Octroi of 4% today.

Same is the case vice-versa, although the octroi in Thane is 5% I think.
crackparag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 20:24   #27
BHPian

Forgot to add, there's apparently also a way by which the octroi to transfer a vehicle from Thane to Mumbai can be saved totally, albeit illegally. I remember a friend paying just a couple of thousands (minus the octroi) in 2009 for transferring an Accent from Thane (MH04) to Wadala (MH03)! You are probably safe until you're caught.
crackparag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 12:21   #28
BHPian

Im pretty sure, that RTO would regularly share the vehicle database to Municipal bodies. So, eventually such illegal transfer would lead to a notice at your new residence address! delayed payment leads to small penalty, but missing the entire payment within deadline leads to 10 times penalty of octroi value. for ref, I have penned my case on post# 16 above.

OT: what would happen when a person shifts from one city to another along with household electronics ? IMO, one has to fill a form declaring the goods for personal usage, maybe paying a small fee.
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 13:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

There is no Octroi for used personal goods being transported if someone is shifting the residence.

Movers and Packers will handle everything that includes a small inspection fee via octroi agent for NOC. They will give you a proforma for a declaration to BMC.
Old 25th August 2011, 15:42   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Maharashtra in indeed Maha. We are trying to get rid of taxes in interstate movement of goods (GST), talk about the Global Village and here we have a state exploiting even transfers within the state in (I hope it really is) the 21st century. Indeed Mera Bharat Mahan.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote