Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th August 2011, 12:02   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Octroi Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Im pretty sure, that RTO would regularly share the vehicle database to Municipal bodies. So, eventually such illegal transfer would lead to a notice at your new residence address! delayed payment leads to small penalty, but missing the entire payment within deadline leads to 10 times penalty of octroi value. for ref, I have penned my case on post# 16 above.

OT: what would happen when a person shifts from one city to another along with household electronics ? IMO, one has to fill a form declaring the goods for personal usage, maybe paying a small fee.
True, but in my friends case, the transfer was done in 2009, its been more than 2 years and theres no problem yet. So as I said, "You are probably safe until you're caught"

Yes, for shifting of residence, one has to pay a nominal fee (I think Rs. 50), after filling some form.
crackparag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 12:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

In case the ownership is transferred from one municipal jurisdiction to another, where octroi had been paid in the former, and the latter demands it, shouldn't the car owner get a refund of the octroi paid from the former municipality and then pay the octroi to the latter?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 14:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Octroi Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
In case the ownership is transferred from one municipal jurisdiction to another, where octroi had been paid in the former, and the latter demands it, shouldn't the car owner get a refund of the octroi paid from the former municipality and then pay the octroi to the latter?
I have heard of the road tax being refunded for the inter state transfers but octroi refunds within state transfers I haven't come across. Best thing would be to visit the octroi dept of the Municipal corporation to gather some info and highlight it on this forum.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 18:35   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have heard of the road tax being refunded for the inter state transfers but octroi refunds within state transfers I haven't come across. Best thing would be to visit the octroi dept of the Municipal corporation to gather some info and highlight it on this forum.
I do not know how many are aware, but you can buy a company registered car, transfer to your name (an individual) and claim a refund for tax differential. They have formulas, and a pay order is issued by RTO in favour of the person in whose name the car is registered. This was about 12 years ago, did it for a friend and it was a quite painless process.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 19:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

harit,

RTO does not matter in terms on Ocrtoi. It is collected by municipality. RTO just validates that payment has been done before registration / transfer.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 12:53   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
harit,

RTO does not matter in terms on Ocrtoi. It is collected by municipality. RTO just validates that payment has been done before registration / transfer.
I have to transfer a car which is MH02 registered with Pune RTO. earlier it was Mumbai RTO. Second owner transferred it to Pune RTO, do i have to pay octroi if i get back to Mumbai RTO?
maxguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:20   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxguru View Post
I have to transfer a car which is MH02 registered with Pune RTO. earlier it was Mumbai RTO. Second owner transferred it to Pune RTO, do i have to pay octroi if i get back to Mumbai RTO?
can someone help me on this urgently. thank you
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Octroi Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxguru View Post
Unfortunately yes, you will have to pay for Octroi. Unless you have the earlier paid Octroi receipt when bought in Mumbai. A visit to the Octroi should throw more light. Do let us know too of the development.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2015, 21:52   #39

So after going to the octroi office, this is what I was told.

octroi to be paid @4.5 percent on either the sale/resale receipt or vehicle insurance IDV which ever is higher.
in my case the officer was ready to go ahead with IDV value mentioned on insurance.
Old 9th May 2017, 13:56   #40
BHPian

I recently bought a 2012 Honda Jazz X. Liked the car as it was kept and maintained well.

Here's the issue:

1. The car is a MH01 registered car and was on a company lease. The original Tax Invoice for the car lists a 4.5% Octroi amount that the dealer paid on the car (and listed on the Invoice).
2. Post closure of the lease, the employee, who was using the car, purchased the car from the leasing company.
3. The employee transferred the car to his name and address, which is in Vasai.
4. I bought the car and am trying to get it registered in my name and address (MH03).

The NOC for the vehicle transfer was obtained from the Vasai RTO. However, while initiating the transfer to my name in my RTO location (MH03), the RTO official asked for payment of Octroi. When told that the Octroi for the vehicle was already paid when it was purchased (with a copy of the Tax Invoice), the official asked for the Octroi receipt. I have purchased 3 cars and 2 bikes in the past and never had I been given the Octroi receipt - the amount was just listed in the Tax Invoice for the respective purchases.

In this case, since the vehicle is a MH01-registered vehicle with a 4.5% Octroi amount listed on the Tax Invoice itself.

Please advise - would I need to pay Octroi again on the vehicle?

Regards,
indianv2 is offline   Reply With Quote