Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th April 2016, 15:26   #91
Default Re: The Maruti Omni thread (Maruti Van)

Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Can i fit 13" tyres on my 2002 Omni? Currently it is running on 12".
Me and my friend had tried on our 1995 Omni Flat roof(now sold off). Our's was the carburettored version with drum brakes all around.

Then the erstwhile 13-inch Zen rims were a bolt on fit. Tyres used were MRF ZVTS (i guess those tyres are now called MRF ZVTV), 145/70-13 tube type. (original Zen size). These Maruti Van's if you recall came with the old rear leaf spring configuration with two main leaves and a "helper"-leaf at the bottom.

Some of the things that were observed:

1. Straight line stability definitely improved and the "Maruti Van" felt much better to ride especially on highways.

2. Steering weighed up more due to the bigger wheels and tyres. Discomfort was felt during in low speed city driving conditions.

3. As effective wheel travel / articulation had reduced, under fully loaded conditions, with 5 people on board, the "Van"'s front wheels used to scrape when going a bit fast over undulations. Steering also felt very heavy under full load. Under full steering lock conditions there was no problem however.

4. Speedo / Odo reading went off by as much as 15-20%.

5. Another problem we had observed: When climbing hills, because the overall gearing had altered, the "Van" distinctly felt less peppy and laboured on inclines. Felt short of breath. We were studying in Darjeeling in West Bengal during that time and regularly used to drive around in the mountains regularly.

As such we decided to ditch the 13 - inchers and reverted to the stock 12-inch wheels to bring things back on an even keel.

Just thought of sharing these with you, in case its of any use.

Cheers and drive safe !
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote