Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th January 2009, 10:30   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is still there. However, these Green Cards (as a colleague found to his cost) quite often have only a local acceptability. They will almost certainly cut no ice if you go interstate.
SG you are right it was in UP and these were valid within UP. It was for 2 wheeler and people generally don't drive to cross the state till they are very near. Are these available still in RTO ? Any idea about the procedure and fee

Last edited by aka_iitd : 20th January 2009 at 10:32.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 10:37   #32
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I have never carried RC book and Insurance papers in original and none of the cops have questioned why they are not available in original.
As most of you have mentioned here, emission certificate and the license is all that is required in original.

Having said that, don't you think if a cop is in a mood of 'paisa wasooli' his reasoning will be damned and will try to extract money come what may?
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 10:42   #33
BHPian

I had never carried RC book, Insurance & license in original and was never asked for original by cop any time.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 13:48   #34
BHPian

DL is to be carried in original. Insurance and RC xerox is sufficient. In case, required by the police, original must be produced within 15 days. ( Instructions are mentioned in the driving licence as well as RC books , that were issued earlier in the booklet forms). These days they are issuing smart cards based DL and RCs so may be some info is curtailed.

Original should be carried along if you are travelling from one state to another to avoid hassles. Soemtimes, cops like to see and prefer originals rather than copies.

PUC is valid for 1 year on new cars and 6 months thereafter.

Last edited by shatrughna : 20th January 2009 at 13:49.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 14:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Hmmm.. i only carry the photo copies and they are not even attested..

i have been caught multiple times(two wheeler) and never they demanded for originals(even DL)

may be because they just want to see an expired emission certificate or insurance and the moment i show them, they loose all the interest to even see rest of the docs
rajshenoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 16:03   #36
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
PUC is valid for 1 year on new cars and 6 months thereafter.
Seems like this varies from state to state? I was under the impression for new cars the PUC is valid for the first 6 months only to be advised by an agency which does Pollution check that it is valid only 3 months. This was corroborated by a local cop in Assam. Plus, if one misses to get a new certificate within the expiry period he needs to pay a penalty and then get the PUC renewal.

These days i thought the certificate is valid only for a duration of 3 months?
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 16:20   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
SG you are right it was in UP and these were valid within UP. It was for 2 wheeler and people generally don't drive to cross the state till they are very near. Are these available still in RTO ? Any idea about the procedure and fee
They exist for 4 wheelers as well. RTO/Local Ploice authorities have authorized a third party to issue these. These fellows set up camps all over the city to issue these,

Local validity means exactly that. My friend went to Lucknow airport (less than 80km from Kanpur!) and was stopped for a routine check. They will not accept a green card and he had to pay an 'unofficial' fine.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 16:22   #38
Team-BHP Support

The day I got Karnataka number plates on the Jeep, I went to a petrol bunk for the PUC. I reversed into the emmision checking counter and walked in. The lady asked me for the model year and started typing other details into the computer. She turned the webcam to get the rear photo with the number plates. Then she took out the printout and handed me the PUC.

I stood there confused, and said "What about the emission test?" She said "Oh, I saw your smoke when you were backing up, it was clean enough, no test needed". The PUC contained some generic satisfactory emission values.

Why don't they train the traffic police to detect emission levels in the same way? That way we don't need to bother with PUC. One look and the police can decide whether the vehicle is polluting.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 16:46   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
PUC certificates are a joke here. I've never been asked for one (even on my 1997 KB125) and those who pay LTT (life time tax) can breathe easy. If you haven't paid LTT, then you need the PUC because the RTO won't accept your annual or balance LTT without the PUC.
I spent good time on Sunday looking for an emission testing centre in South Madras. Wanted to get a PUC for the Indica. Every bunk had some excuse or the other - no power, printer not working, out of certificates. Finally found one (the BP bunk next to Malar Hospital on Durgabai Deshmukh Road) on Monday afternoon and got one. I have no clue whether the readings are correct or not - the only 'question' the operator asked me (other than car details) was whether the car was "running".

Last edited by hrag : 20th January 2009 at 16:48.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 16:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I stood there confused, and said "What about the emission test?" She said "Oh, I saw your smoke when you were backing up, it was clean enough, no test needed". The PUC contained some generic satisfactory emission values.
Probably their machine was broken that time and they still didn't want to loose a customer.. But in Bangalore all the time the emission checking centers will properly check the pollution level and then print the certificate.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 16:51   #41
BHPian

Also I have seen they print some color boxes in green if it is OK otherwise it gets printed in red. But this is not always true as all don't have same software(atleast UI wise) and color printer. I believe same software should be used. Don't know how RTO tracks and issues the license and software(if they do)
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 17:25   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

About carrying original or photocopy of documents, I think it varies from state to state.

Tamilnadu - Photocopies of all documents is enough. No need for any attestation. The licence copy I carry is just pathetic - you can make out nothing from it, but it works here.

Kerala - Mostly photocopies are enough. But it is good to have them attested by a Gazetted officer.

Bombay - When I was last there a decade or so ago, they insisted on originals. I was riding a bike with all docs as photocopies. Once was stopped by a cop and asked for my license. Showed him the photocopy, which he said was not acceptable & was insisting on originals. Told him that down south we carry only photocopies to which he took out a photocopy of a Rs100 note and asked me to give change for it.

I guess it is time we have unified rules for the whole country plus a pan-India vehicle numbering system and do away with all the crap like NOC or state entry permits etc.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 21:28   #43
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
TWhy don't they train the traffic police to detect emission levels in the same way? That way we don't need to bother with PUC. One look and the police can decide whether the vehicle is polluting.
The cops would in such cases be sporting a designer pair of dark shades to see (at least selectively) all smokes emanating as dark
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 22:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Told him that down south we carry only photocopies to which he took out a photocopy of a Rs100 note and asked me to give change for it.

I guess it is time we have unified rules for the whole country plus a pan-India vehicle numbering system and do away with all the crap like NOC or state entry permits etc.

The law is uniform all over India. All you need to have
1. Photocopies of the documents - except the Driving license & pollution under control certificate which should be:
2. Attested by a gazetted officer of the central / state government and you are bound to:
3. show the originals to the officer to whom the copies were shown within 10 days.

This is for non-transport vehicles. Transport vehicles (yellow board ones) should have originals on them.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 22:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Well for a private car driver, it is sufficient to carry Xerox copies of the documents attested by a Gazzetted Officer expect the driving license and PUC certificate which must be carried in original. Xerox copies without Gazzetted Officers certification are not acceptable and this is all over india.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote