Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th January 2009, 23:43   #46
Team-BHP Support

Is a public notary same as gazetted officer?

I have always hated this concept of gazetted officer signature. Generally gazetted officers are government officers, and they don't move a muscle without bribe.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 23:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is a public notary same as gazetted officer?

I have always hated this concept of gazetted officer signature. Generally gazetted officers are government officers, and they don't move a muscle without bribe.
Guess there is some difference between the two.

I've heard even chartered accountants can attest copies. Is it true ?

And coming back to the topic, do dealers give PUC certificates or is it assumed that for the 1st 6 months a new car will be in control ?
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 00:54   #48
BHPian

For the first 6 months, no PUC is required. Only after 6 months of Registration, you have to get the PUC done.
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 11:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
do dealers give PUC certificates or is it assumed that for the 1st 6 months a new car will be in control ?
Dealers do give you the PUC which is valid for first 12 months for a new car. After that, you need to get it re-issued.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 11:37   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Guess there is some difference between the two.
I know they are different, what I mean is whether notarizing the document is same as getting signed by gazetted officer.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 13:28   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I know they are different, what I mean is whether notarizing the document is same as getting signed by gazetted officer.
The effect is really the same. Depend on which process has more impact on the person seeing it. The gazetted officer will have his govt stamp and title on the document whereas the notary will normally put notary stamps and large red circular sticker stamp (at least in Mumbai) in addition to his stamp.

Either way, they certify that they have see the original and the photocoy is a proper representation of the original. Notaries are not really supposed to verify a true copy, though it has generally become accepted practice over a period of time.

The traditional reason to have a document notarized is to certify that the person claiming to be Mr. X has signed the document in front of the notary and hence the notary attest to the fact of original signature by a person (and not contents of the document). The notary can perform the functions below under Section 8 of the Notaries Act 1952 and attesting a true copy does not seem listed here.

8. Function of Notaries.- (1) A notary may do all or any of the following acts by virtue of his office , namely:-

(a) verify, authenticate, certify or attest the execution of any instrument.
(b) Present any promissory note, hundi or bill of exchange for acceptance or payment or demand better security.
(c) note to protest the dishonour by non acceptance or non payment of any promissory note, hundi, bill of exchange or protest for better security or prepare acts of honour under the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881, or serve notice of such note or protest.
(d) note and draw up ship's protest, boat's protest or protest relating to de moorage and other commercial matters.
(e) administer oath to, or take affidavit from, any person,
(f) prepare bottom and respondent bonds, charter parties and other mercantile documents.
(g) prepare, attest or authenticate any instrument intended to take effect in any country or place outside India in such form and language as many conform to the law of the place where such deed is intended to operate.
(h) translate, and verify the translation of, any document from one language to another.
(i) any other act which may be prescribed.
Rajiv Menon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 14:47   #52
BHPian

In Mumbai, The RC book says on the last page that only transport vehicles must carry the original RC book and private vehicles may carry a copy and furnish the original within a week on notice. Keep a photocopy of the last page of the book if you feel the cops won't listen. The same goes for Insurance, however, the PUC and DL HAVE to be originals and there is no excuse to not have them in the car while you're driving it.

Also if everything is in order, please refrain from bribing policemen if all your papers are fine, instead ask for a higher officer, and the constable let you go immediately.
naikpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 15:14   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

My car will complete almost 8700km in the first 100 days. Going by the current hitrate, I should cross 15k within the first six months.

Don't you think one should get a PUC done in the interim?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 15:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

A notary is an advocate. He certifies that you have done or not done certain things. Or correctness of copies documents.

A "gazetted officer" is a government employee. He is empowered to draw his own salary. (The normal officer's salary bill is to be cleared by his superior officer / head of office).

The government fixes the amount you pay to a notary for his stamp and seal - it is Rs. 50/- stamp (a special kind of Notarial stamp); sorry cannot remember the fees - it is around 100/- something.

A gazetted officer is not supposed to charge anything for attesting documents.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:36   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What I carry (10+ years without a problem):

Original:

Driving licence
PUC
Insurance document (not the entire policy. A summary note specifically issued for carrying in the car)

Copies:

Registration certificate with tax receipt
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:46   #56
BHPian

The best solution is to carry a MASTER PASS.
Master Pass is a single foldable card issued by your local RTO which carries your photo DL details (category of vehicle, expiry date), RC book details, Life time road tax details, Insurance details, even your PUC details.
This Master Pass clearly says that this pass can be carried & shown instead of the vehicle original documents.
Master Pass costs just Rs.35/- only.It has got no expiry date also. Even the proceedure is simple.
Pay Rs.35.00 at the RTO cash counter, attach & submit the receipt in original along with your DL, RC book, Insurance policy, Emission certificate (all documents original) at the counter & collect your Master Pass the next day.The RTO puts a seal on your RC book saying Master Pass issued.
The only condition for Master Pass issual is: The vehicle owner & DL holder should be the same person.
That is if the car is in your name & you have a DL then Master Pass shall be issued in your name. But the the pass shall not be valid if your brother/friend/somebody else is driving the car.
The irony is that even RTO staff dont know much about Master Pass.
Since I travel a lot across South India, whenever I am stopped at state borders/traffic cops etc., I show them this pass & they look at it as if its something unique. They dont have any idea about this pass.
Since this pass carries a big Govt Emblem/Seal and words in block letters (Govt Of karnataka, Transport Department, Regional Transport Office etc), most of the time they assume that I am a high ranking Govt official & dont even bother to check the pass, instead apologising for the inconvenience caused & let me go. Once I was going home from my club after a few pegs & was caught for drunken driving. I thought Oh my god Rs.1500/- gone down the drain. But the moment he saw my pass & the Govt logo he said: sorry, neevu namma department thane, manege hogi saar.(Sorry, since you are also from our department you can go home).
So guys This Master Pass is the best solution.
GSMINC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
The best solution is to carry a MASTER PASS.
Master Pass is a single foldable card issued by your local RTO which carries your photo DL details (category of vehicle, expiry date), RC book details, Life time road tax details, Insurance details, even your PUC details.
This Master Pass clearly says that this pass can be carried & shown instead of the vehicle original documents.
Master Pass costs just Rs.35/- only.It has got no expiry date also. Even the proceedure is simple.
Pay Rs.35.00 at the RTO cash counter, attach & submit the receipt in original along with your DL, RC book, Insurance policy, Emission certificate (all documents original) at the counter & collect your Master Pass the next day.The RTO puts a seal on your RC book saying Master Pass issued.
The only condition for Master Pass issual is: The vehicle owner & DL holder should be the same person.
That is if the car is in your name & you have a DL then Master Pass shall be issued in your name. But the the pass shall not be valid if your brother/friend/somebody else is driving the car.
The irony is that even RTO staff dont know much about Master Pass.
Since I travel a lot across South India, whenever I am stopped at state borders/traffic cops etc., I show them this pass & they look at it as if its something unique. They dont have any idea about this pass.
Since this pass carries a big Govt Emblem/Seal and words in block letters (Govt Of karnataka, Transport Department, Regional Transport Office etc), most of the time they assume that I am a high ranking Govt official & dont even bother to check the pass, instead apologising for the inconvenience caused & let me go. Once I was going home from my club after a few pegs & was caught for drunken driving. I thought Oh my god Rs.1500/- gone down the drain. But the moment he saw my pass & the Govt logo he said: sorry, neevu namma department thane, manege hogi saar.(Sorry, since you are also from our department you can go home).
So guys This Master Pass is the best solution.
Is it possible to get it in all RTO's of Bangalore ? Or those in BMP ?
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:01   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

I am afraid that the Master Pass (or Green Card as it is called in these parts) here is a local artefact and AFAIK has no legal standing. It may not have acceptance even in the next town, and definitely not in the next state. See my earlier post.

Last edited by sgiitk : 22nd January 2009 at 16:01. Reason: adding a couple of words.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Is it possible to get it in all RTO's of Bangalore ? Or those in BMP ?
All RTOs, BBMP has got no role in it.
I got for my bike & both the cars from Yeshwantpur RTO(KA04)
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am afraid that the Master Pass (or Green Card as it is called in these parts) here is a local artefact and AFAIK has no legal standing. It may not have acceptance even in the next town, and definitely not in the next state. See my earlier post.
Sir,
It has got legal standing, as it is issued by RTO/Transport dept.
The Master Pass carries the Govt Logo/Emblem & the seal & signature of the Asst.RTO.
The pass clearly says this card can be carried instead of original documents, this card is valid only for non-transport vehicles/private vehicles.
It is not some colour xerox laminated paper.

Let me try & paste images of this pass.

Last edited by GSMINC : 22nd January 2009 at 16:10.