Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th January 2011, 17:29   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New Mitsubishi Cedia Sports Launched at 9.9L

The cedia makes for a nice buy over the Honda City now. That's what I am trying to suggest my friend. But Can HM sell Water in the land of the thirsty looking at their previous failures?

I will post an update if my friend does go for a Cedia.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 17:34   #152
Senior - BHPian

I have just returned from J Williams & Co here in Poona after the Blue Streak's third service and what I discovered today regarding the car's underpinnings is phenomenal. The works manager was free so he took me on a guided tour of the way this car is put together from beneath the vehicle. Unfortunately I was not carrying my camera. I will however return in a few days for some body shop jobs and will try and take snaps and post the information here.

What I will say is that HM's people are blindly following and trying to convert their vehicles to look like other manufacturer's products in a lame effort to sell them when the car has the ability to sell in healthy numbers given the right marketing inputs. To all those who have the car, well done you have one of the better vehicles available in our markets.

To those thinking about buying one, leave the SA alone and walk in to a Mitsu workshop. Get them to show you the car from beneath and get them to explain how and why the sump in the first place will not go bust if you manage to hit a rock despite the massive 175 mm ground clearance. How well the engine bay is shielded from beneath, how if you hit a ramp or stone while reversing the oil filter can never be hit and never allow for trickle leakage. How even if you do manage to damage your car's sump, the vehicle will be back on the road in two hours and not be standstill with the engine down as will be the case with almost all of the other cars and the expense will not halve your bank balance.

Ask them to show you how the front suspension's gas filled struts keep the springs in compression even at stand still so that the response in absorbing a bump is lightning quick and damping far superior to competitors. Get them to show you the side stiffening braces alongside both sides of the chassis which compensate for the pitching movement (up and down) that you see in the competitors cars which resemble boats in water. Ask them to show you the 5 link independent rear wheel suspension set up complete with its camber and yaw adjustment for the rear wheels, yes the rear wheels and the special design linkage that allows for lateral movements of the individual rear wheels in a turn which along with the anti roll bars up front and in the back allow you to take corners the way you want without your back seat passengers being thrown around like rag dolls and or biting your heads off as the design eliminates body roll. Ask them to show you the gauge of the forged links and the diameters of the brake discs in the rear which is larger than some of the competition's front discs. If we consider the Cedia's front disc there is not much left to pit it against.

So while you may get the beige interiors instead of black and different ICE set up, non MOMO steering, plain alloys, grill, fabric seats etc etc remember underneath the skin the mechanicals remain unchanged and are the same rigid, hard wearing and 'funtastic' bits that all of the old versions have too. Infact at 60K less the prospective buyer gets a better deal for less so grab your keys and have fun.

I will leave you with a comment made by a senior bhpian who drives a Jetta and this is what he had to say after driving my Cedia in Bombay last week. "This car does not feel like a Japanese car in any which way, the way it is put together and the quality of materials used is far superior" enough said, chew on the above till I get some photographs.

PS Watchout for the Pajero relaunch complete with the new BS!V approvals in place. It is currently undergoing testing at ARAI.

Last edited by khoj : 19th January 2011 at 17:38. Reason: Additional Info
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 18:36   #153
BHPian

I'm probably going out on a limb here, but methinks that HM marketing concluded that the Momo's, Oz's and Stanley's are not making the car sell any better, so get rid of these.

@Khoj Though I would consider myself to be on the "enthusiast" side of the fence, and though the Cedia is so obviously a much better engineered car (just open the bonnet!) with more sophisticated underpinnings, the average driver (me) would not benefit from these. Would I buy a car because of the mechanicals, especially given our traffic situation? I don't think so.

The interior, on the other hand, is a place where one spends most of the time, and it's really important to me. I had instinctively rejected the T-jet and Vento for this reason, mostly.

BTW, I happen to think the Cedia has one of the best interiors, it's neat, sophisticated, does not distract (if one leaves out the non-integrated Kenwood stereo) and has no finicky bits.
DrunkenMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 19:43   #154
Senior - BHPian

first and foremost I would recommend the outgoing cedia with the new display console to HM.

@Khoj: I have the lancer and it has served us extremely well. But it is the dealer which is the worst part of the Mitsubishi experience. So bad, I would buy an ICML or a Fiat instead. Hell, even a San Storm ownership experience will be better. No exagerations and 100% straight talk here.
Old 19th January 2011, 21:49   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I have just returned from J Williams & Co here in Poona after the Blue Streak's third service and what I discovered today regarding the car's underpinnings is phenomenal. The works manager was free so he took me on a guided tour of the way this car is put together from beneath the vehicle. Unfortunately I was not carrying my camera. I will however return in a few days for some body shop jobs and will try and take snaps and post the information here.

What I will say is that HM's people are blindly following and trying to convert their vehicles to look like other manufacturer's products in a lame effort to sell them when the car has the ability to sell in healthy numbers given the right marketing inputs. To all those who have the car, well done you have one of the better vehicles available in our markets.

To those thinking about buying one, leave the SA alone and walk in to a Mitsu workshop. Get them to show you the car from beneath and get them to explain how and why the sump in the first place will not go bust if you manage to hit a rock despite the massive 175 mm ground clearance. How well the engine bay is shielded from beneath, how if you hit a ramp or stone while reversing the oil filter can never be hit and never allow for trickle leakage. How even if you do manage to damage your car's sump, the vehicle will be back on the road in two hours and not be standstill with the engine down as will be the case with almost all of the other cars and the expense will not halve your bank balance.

Ask them to show you how the front suspension's gas filled struts keep the springs in compression even at stand still so that the response in absorbing a bump is lightning quick and damping far superior to competitors. Get them to show you the side stiffening braces alongside both sides of the chassis which compensate for the pitching movement (up and down) that you see in the competitors cars which resemble boats in water. Ask them to show you the 5 link independent rear wheel suspension set up complete with its camber and yaw adjustment for the rear wheels, yes the rear wheels and the special design linkage that allows for lateral movements of the individual rear wheels in a turn which along with the anti roll bars up front and in the back allow you to take corners the way you want without your back seat passengers being thrown around like rag dolls and or biting your heads off as the design eliminates body roll. Ask them to show you the gauge of the forged links and the diameters of the brake discs in the rear which is larger than some of the competition's front discs. If we consider the Cedia's front disc there is not much left to pit it against.

So while you may get the beige interiors instead of black and different ICE set up, non MOMO steering, plain alloys, grill, fabric seats etc etc remember underneath the skin the mechanicals remain unchanged and are the same rigid, hard wearing and 'funtastic' bits that all of the old versions have too. Infact at 60K less the prospective buyer gets a better deal for less so grab your keys and have fun.

I will leave you with a comment made by a senior bhpian who drives a Jetta and this is what he had to say after driving my Cedia in Bombay last week. "This car does not feel like a Japanese car in any which way, the way it is put together and the quality of materials used is far superior" enough said, chew on the above till I get some photographs.

PS Watchout for the Pajero relaunch complete with the new BS!V approvals in place. It is currently undergoing testing at ARAI.
I agree. One has to own a Cedia to understand that the package offered is unbeatable.
Perhaps the only thing that one will damage is the bumper while traversing on undulating surfaces!
As far as the interiors are concerned; one does have to spend time inside the cabin and not outside it(that's obvious!). But then what is fun of having even better interiors when the support system is useless. Once somebody had mentioned to me that he had paid a huge sum for getting a cabin customized on a bullock cart from DC because he wanted to spend time inside the cabin. But who could give sense to this gentleman that the exteriors and the mechanical design of the contraption also were important.
So, the lesson learnt is that if a car is good due to some factors, it has to be appreciated. Features/designing of Cedia was never advertised, these have been discovered by the users(mostly owners) and people(mechanics at workshops) involved in handling the machine. The ability of this car to take on rough roads with utmost comfort and control is unparallel to all the cars in this segment(and maybe in some belonging to higher segments). Any additional frills in this car cabin wouldn't have helped in the handling and the capability of this car. As it is, the cabin designing has been done in such a manner(that includes smooth plastics of high quality, comfortable seats/positioning and non glaring dials to name a few) that it offers you a fatigue free drive experience.
Rejecting or accepting any car is a matter of (funny)taste. Less discussed the better....!
Renegade is requested to share his experiences when he had gone uptill Khardung La in a Cedia.

The other day I had gone to Excel Motors to get my car serviced when the General Manager told me about two models of Pajero. The new Pajero(BS IV) which will be in the same shape(probably) and the Pajero Sports, which may be shaped like the outlander. Although, he had no photographs to show.
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 22:15   #156
Senior - BHPian

Tarun, thanks, that was a nice heads-up!

Quote:
Good to know but the current one is 21 lacs plus on-road, what would the relaunched one cost! Hopefully, its the Common Rail one
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 09:50   #157
BHPian

Cedia is a great option of a car in the current price range. I had test driven it a few times and can say it is the best in many ways. I am looking for a diesel vehicle or else would be having one in hand by now.
dsr_rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 10:10   #158
BHPian

I have been using this car for over 2 years now, actually close to 3 and I must say till date there is zero squeaks from any part of the car. I must admit that I have only done around 20k kilometers as I have done very few outstation trips, but the handling and smoothness of the drive on almost all surfaces is to die for. Great car and has loads of power and great steering feedback. the brakes are excellent and the interiors are top notch barring a few plastic bits, like the air con knobs and the vents. Wonderful wonderful car.

Now if only Mitsu had better service.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 10:15   #159
Senior - BHPian

^^Did you try SVR? They are significantly better than Southern.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 10:34   #160
BHPian

The new pajero would be with the same engine as the current and with the sale shape. Mitsu. has been able to tune the engine to BSIV norms through its partnership with a swedeish supplier, can't remember the name right now. It would have slight increase in BHP though...
911varun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 23:25   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911varun View Post
The new pajero would be with the same engine as the current and with the sale shape. Mitsu. has been able to tune the engine to BSIV norms through its partnership with a swedeish supplier, can't remember the name right now. It would have slight increase in BHP though...
^^ + a new catalytic converter that completes the equation. & any increase in the power output would be welcome
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 09:31   #162
Team-BHP Support

I hope they do something about the Cedia's spare parts. Due to low sales it looks like they are back to importing all parts and reduced local content.

As a result accident repairs cost a bomb.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 10:30   #163
Senior - BHPian

Also the dealers price the spares and consumables more than what they are available for in the local market. I have experienced it with NGK plugs and Motul synthetic oil.
Old 21st January 2011, 16:18   #164
BHPian

Quote:
I have just returned from J Williams & Co here in Poona after the Blue Streak's third service and what I discovered today regarding the car's underpinnings is phenomenal. The works manager was free so he took me on a guided tour of the way this car is put together from beneath the vehicle.... I will leave you with a comment made by a senior bhpian who drives a Jetta and this is what he had to say after driving my Cedia in Bombay last week. "This car does not feel like a Japanese car in any which way, the way it is put together and the quality of materials used is far superior" enough said, chew on the above till I get some photographs.
This is awesome khoj. The car is surprisingly the best drive I experienced when deciding and in order of TDs my experience was like this:

1. Altis- was eyeing the 1.8G but the sales staff was a bit of a put-off; no discounts; nothing; that too in December. drove it around but found it too sedate to my liking and somehow the driving position was a bit low considering I am all of 6 feet; felt uncomfortable.

2. Skoda Vrs- well; what can I say there; even PMd Ajmat; but the VRs had clocked over 87k so wife said NO and even my incessant pestering didn’t help there.

3. Civic- all was going well; the wife was all for it; but while coming off a sloping turn the front bottom scraped; I was dead slow and did not hit it straight; but that sound hurt a lot. the drive was fun; I’ll give it that; low etc but fun. The sales guy kept harping o the discounts offered 1 lac + Honda Assure worth 40k FREE + ORVMs with turn indicators FREE (they come on the VMT and I was planning on the SMT)

4. The Cedia- well finally. Actually visited the showroom at Malad Link Road on a Sunday after the Altis TD (they’re both next door to each other; Toyota & Mitsubishi) and they only had Outlanders and Pajeros in there. I waited patiently for one of the sales guys to be free, as there was actually a lot of enquiries for the Outlander and Pajero both. 2 Outlanders and 1 Pajero were also being booked and that was something. When I asked the sales guy for a ‘Cedia’; his response was ‘huh?’ and I said ‘never mind’ and started walking out; this is when maybe he was struck by some revelation he came after me saying ‘oh, sir I could arrange for a TD vehicle in a day’. Well; like I said earlier I had started walking out and walk out I did; not without giving him a smile. And then somehow over the week I studies all the posts on the Cedia here on TBHP. From tire upsizes by reignofchaos to the kcnetid’s buy in Hyderabad and gaurav’s white to khoj’s blue streak and then there was rajataurus, arun rangamani, sj_koova and decided I will at least give it a TD. Ok, so one fine evening I was told that there is a car available for TD and I picked up my wife to get there. Upon arrival we saw a white (read Great White; it looked the part too) parked and it looked intimidating; if I may use the word.

This was not a TD car since that one was involved in some accident and hence unavailable. So we took this one out; and I will have to start from the moment I got in. Ok, I will give it here that it might be all about what’s under the hood but the Cedia scored even in the interiors department. Run your hands over the MOMO and you know it’s not just another sedate sedan you are in. the trims and dash all look very subdued but aggressively superior quality. The seat is comfortable and the door closes with a reassuring thud. I turn the key; although I don’t like the key that much; and the engine comes to life. The needle hangs comfortably near 1000rpm. The sales guy tells me something about how the cabin is soundless and the AC does not draw much power etc but all I have on mind is to get this thing on the road. This was somehow not the same feeling sitting behind either the Altis or the Civic. We move out and it’s a bit distracting looking at the road, then the MOMO and then the sporty pedals on the floor bed; in that order too. The car handles well; feels very very strong and you can feel the drive (don’t know how to explain; I am not very technical). It corners well; even though the gears are a bit tough the gear stick is very well placed. The first thing I noticed was how the car pulls away with ease and élan; be it 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. I did not push it too far and drove the usual I drive and I was only impressed how it took the bends, potholes, speed breakers, traffic everything in its stride.

Even my wife drove it ad was surprised how it goes around corners and pointed the turning radius didn’t seem like a big car to drive. She even found the braking a tad too effective since the car would come to a dead halt every time and the sales guy explained it’s all 4 disc brakes. He also said something about the best rear suspension in the industry with multilink and something about the front suspension having gas filled struts. There was also an instance when taking over from my wife I accidently turned ignition on the already running car. My bad; but even on the quietest stretch the engine was not audible. I am afraid if I go on, this might not end, so cutting it short I finalized the Cedia. Have done over 700kms and will soon post how the experience has been so far. Only couple of things which you guys would be able to shed light on:

1. getting into 2nd and Reverse gears is rather hard and I have to decompress and press the clutch again

2. the AC now comes on with a louder ‘clank’ when the thermostat kicks in the compressor again; used to be noiseless earlier or maybe I am imagining things

3. the front underbody has a sheet of molded plastic jutting out towards the bottom; on the driver’s side. Will get it looked up in the first service since I don’t know if the underbelly should be flat or are such protrusions all right

4. was planning on Michelin PP2s but then decided against it on an automotive dealer friend’s advice, so keeping it stock

5. I have gone through the ICE sections and just wanted to check if a subwoofer in the boot would help the current OEM system
Until then, here’s to the Red Beast!

Last edited by Mpower : 21st January 2011 at 18:18.
mandheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 18:36   #165
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
The car is surprisingly the best drive I experienced when deciding and in order of TDs my experience was like this:

I have driven all, altis, civic, cruze, and diesel octavia (no RS) and the only car that gives cedia a run for its money is civic and that too only flat good surface. On uneven roads even the civic looses ground. the rear suspension is too soft and a slight jump makes the car loose ground. Only thing the civic needs according to me is a nice set of springs and shocks and it will rock. The chassis just as cedia is very well sorted, the engine is a gem and handling too on good roads is excellent. Cedia has better low end torque, one loves doing left right left in it, the suspension though on a softer side is stiffer than what competition has to offer and the most important thing is that despite bigger coilovers and increased GC, Mitsubishi still managed to pull off an excellent handler for a normal roads. I personally love the interiors, very straight and no nonsense. The exteriors too are good and its one car that looks good in all colours (sports model).

Skoda Vrs- well; what can I say there; even PMd Ajmat; but the VRs had clocked over 87k so wife said NO and even my incessant pestering didn’t help there.

A 90k done car and that too not Japanese, it would have been very difficult to ensure trouble free ownership.

When I asked the sales guy for a ‘Cedia’; his response was ‘huh?’ and I said ‘never mind’ and started walking out;

Only couple of things which you guys would be able to shed light on:
1. getting into 2nd and Reverse gears is rather hard and I have to decompress and press the clutch again

Thats a common trait in all new cedias, it will go with time (atleast 10-15k)

2. the AC now comes on with a louder ‘clank’ when the thermostat kicks in the compressor again; used to be noiseless earlier or maybe I am imagining things

Again very Normal

3. the front underbody has a sheet of molded plastic jutting out towards the bottom; on the driver’s side. Will get it looked up in the first service since I don’t know if the underbelly should be flat or are such protrusions all right

Are you talking about the engine under shield?, some pics would help

4. was planning on Michelin PP2s but then decided against it on an automotive dealer friend’s advice, so keeping it stock

The stock tyres are not bad, one can live with them for a while, but changing right now will ensure maximum value as they are new.

5. I have gone through the ICE sections and just wanted to check if a subwoofer in the boot would help the current OEM system
Until then, here’s to the Red Beast!

For the sub, you will also have to get an amp, also connecting OEM speakers to amp wont help. You can probably get a 4 channel amp, change the rear speakers and add a base tube. One thing, I have been using a base tube for last 40k kms, still NO RATTLE, I love it.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote