Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th January 2014, 13:16   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Got caught by Traffic Police? Wriggle out with RTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Kudos to you @humyum and the way you have been carrying with these thugs! A lot of people (on and off the forum) would probably advise you to be careful and aware of potential future issues from these guys, but as you rightly said, never back down!
Thank you. I am sure sometime my luck will run out, but the thing is I will make sure a lot of police man's luck runs out before mine does. A change in India will have to start from everyone's home. I want it to start from mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Recently when I was with a friend who was driving my car, we were stopped wrongly for an "offence" we didn't do. When we argued and pointed out the correct facts, the cop switched on to the tinted glasses and started demanding money (1000 Rs) for the same. I was clear about the 100Rs fine and indicative period allowed for removal of the same, but my friend who was from Bangalore (and had to travel back) completely freaked out when the cop told him to collect his license at the chowki and pay the fine. Didn't listen to my arguments, and instead he paid him an intermediate bribe amount. Guess we all need to buck up and go the route taken by you.
You know, I was always scared of my 'licence' getting confiscated too until one day I realized that if you actually go to the Chowki and collect it, most of the fines are 1/10th of what was quoted to you by the Police guy who stopped you. The Chowki won't and can't over charge you for anything and most of all you have time till you go to the chowki to complain to the relevant authorities and get the ball rolling.

I have decided to record on my camera phone (its not illegal) whenever a cop asks me for something illegal or tries to charge me those 2 thousands and 3 thousands. You know we get those sms'es where in it is said 'Call so and so number if a government official is asking for a bribe', I am going to save those numbers too and call, I am going to call the Traffic Police helpline number, I am going to call 100 too and heck If I find Mumbai Mirror, Mid day, Times of India numbers, I am going to call all of them too. I will waste my entire day behind all this, but I will not pay a fine for something which I have not committed. If they intimidate, I know to do it too. A white Khakhi won't make him superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am younger, and these cops think they can milk me money any way they can. I have never been stopped in the car, but they think all two wheeler riders dont have licence, documents, or such. In fact the Bangalore Traffic Police had informed us that cops cant stop you casually unless you have committed an offense at the spot. Recently I was stopped casually, which itself made me lose cool. The ASI tried to pluck the key away which further flared me up. Yelled at him saying I am not running away anywhere. Then starts the usual scene. Licence - check. RC -check. Insurance - check. I was giving an annoying grin.

Then he asks his senior if there are any pending fines. I havent got a single one till date. He says no. My grin turns into a laugh. This smart ASI then points at my number plate saying its illegal. Though I dont have a plate in the front, the stickering is made in accordance to the minimum dimensions specified in the CMVR. I had taken a printout while getting the stickers cut. Since there was no provision for a number plate in the front, the panel had to be drilled. Instead, I got it stickered in standard non fancy font. If plates were to be mandatory, the ARAI must have insisted on a provision during homologation itself. I had the same printout. I asked him if he knew what was wrong in the plate. He tells it should be on a metal plate and so. I removed the printout and gave it to him. Told him to measure the dimensions and check. He was even pissed. Then I told if there was any other way he could fine me. After that he acts as if he us doing a godly favour by letting me go.

Immediately called up the office of the commissioner, traffic and told them what these guys were doing. They blasted the ASI on the phone. Took the name of both and told the guy on the other end of the phone. Without any specific reason, I was stopped and around tem minutes was wasted. The higher up at the scene also got angry and asked why take small matters to high ups. I told if you guys had behaved properly, there was no necessity. Then they started apologising and pleaded me to call back the office and report the matter as solved. I told them that if they were really going to take serious action, I would do so but if they were to warn you, its better you listen to it and comply and left the scene.

I keep documents with me at all times, renew insurance regularly, habe a zero offense record, and still if I get targeted by cops to make some money, I will not budge at any cost. Its so annoying when the real culprits get away and we are caught. Many people get away from the scene driving like maniacs if a cop flags them down. I stopped as soon as the cop told me to without giving a cry. So I expect better quality of interaction. Of course in some other places the cops give us respect, which makes us return the same. Once when I was sitting in a parked car, a cop comes on his bike to the side. I asked if it was a no parking area. He told no and that he was just checking for pending offenses. He was very polite and his politeness increased when there was no pending fines. We both had a brief exchange of pleasantries and he left. That is what I expect. Not that they should be polite enough to let us go after jumping a signal.
Good going, keep the good work happening. Slowly and steadily the entire country will start being educated about the rules and these guys will be mere puppies on the road.
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 13:38   #92
BHPian

Even I had a really bad experience with these traffic cops last Friday. This happened at Kandivali West.

I parked my car at the side of the road because I was waiting for someone and just got out of the car and was standing near the bonnet. Did not leave the car and go anywhere. 5 mins later the towing truck pulls over and immediately the thugs take out all their tools and try to open the door.

I shouted and told the guys to stop and he was like go talk to the officer who is sitting in the van. Sure enough, this "officer" was so rude that he would put Bollywood villians to shame. He said you've stopped in a no parking zone.

I said ok I agree and i'll pay the fine for no parking which is 100 bucks but you give me a receipt for that. But he as well as the goon who was driving the tow truck was in no mood to listen. The other towing guys actually had the gut to come to me and ask me for my car keys because they weren't able to open the doors with their tools.

I straightaway blasted him and hence the "officer" told me its ok we'll go ahead and talk and you can take your car. By this time the idiots had already lifted my car and I couldn't do anything at all. The truck guy drove for 10 inches and stopped and said now pay 300 bucks. I was like WTH?

He said you need to pay 100 for no parking and 200 for towing charges because we lifted your car. These guys are so rude I wonder who hires them in the first place. The guy was even talking very very rudely with a lady whose scooter they were trying to take away. Since I was already getting too late for going to the airport I had no choice but to actually pay him!

I sure want to take this forward. Also, why are only small cars targeted by towing guys? Is is ok if someone with a bigger car parks illegally. Heck, I hadn't even parked illegally. My car was at the side of a huge road and there was no way I was blocking any flow of traffic. Our Government really needs to give some lessons to these thugs who should atleast learn to speak properly to other people.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 18th January 2014 at 13:39.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 13:56   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Even I had a really bad experience with these traffic cops last Friday. This happened at Kandivali West.

I parked my car at the side of the road because I was waiting for someone and just got out of the car and was standing near the bonnet. Did not leave the car and go anywhere. 5 mins later the towing truck pulls over and immediately the thugs take out all their tools and try to open the door.
Why dont you report this issue? Even a video or a photo would have scared them a bit. It is clean extortion. I will do anything but let them lay by hands on my car or scoot, even if they are ready to run over me.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 14:42   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post

I shouted and told the guys to stop and he was like go talk to the officer who is sitting in the van. Sure enough, this "officer" was so rude that he would put Bollywood villians to shame. He said you've stopped in a no parking zone.

I said ok I agree and i'll pay the fine for no parking which is 100 bucks but you give me a receipt for that. But he as well as the goon who was driving the tow truck was in no mood to listen. The other towing guys actually had the gut to come to me and ask me for my car keys because they weren't able to open the doors with their tools.

I straightaway blasted him and hence the "officer" told me its ok we'll go ahead and talk and you can take your car. By this time the idiots had already lifted my car and I couldn't do anything at all. The truck guy drove for 10 inches and stopped and said now pay 300 bucks. I was like WTH?

He said you need to pay 100 for no parking and 200 for towing charges because we lifted your car. These guys are so rude I wonder who hires them in the first place. The guy was even talking very very rudely with a lady whose scooter they were trying to take away. Since I was already getting too late for going to the airport I had no choice but to actually pay him!

I sure want to take this forward. Also, why are only small cars targeted by towing guys? Is is ok if someone with a bigger car parks illegally. Heck, I hadn't even parked illegally. My car was at the side of a huge road and there was no way I was blocking any flow of traffic. Our Government really needs to give some lessons to these thugs who should atleast learn to speak properly to other people.
you actually paid!? why! were there any "no parking" signs!
they lifted ur car in front of you,and you were watching?!
sure you cant get physical with the cops but atleast you can handle the other guys!! you seem to to be like a very sober man or seedha aadmi as what we say!!
this happened with me last saturday,i parked my car in a noparking zone just for like 5minutes,suddenly this towtruck comes and these guys start doing their business,i was nearby i ran towards them and told one of them to stop as i was leaving,but the guy was just not listening and was just trying to open the door!thats it,i just ran into this guy like a bulldozer and pushed him away!than on seeing this the cop came out and started using foul lang himself!i said,o saab tamiz se baat karo!but he wont listen. then even i started a huge crowd gathered there!i said jaisa bolega waise sunega samjha!!!the whole crowd was on my side!:they had no option but to backoff,and they left!!
imuluvshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 18:25   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imuluvshaz View Post
this happened with me last saturday,i parked my car in a noparking zone just for like 5minutes,suddenly this towtruck comes and these guys start doing their business
You seem to be admitting to have parked where you shouldn't. 5 minutes or not, you broke the law and gave the authorities a reason to penalise you. In your case, the cops appear to be doing their job the way they should.
vinu_h is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 21:00   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
You seem to be admitting to have parked where you shouldn't. 5 minutes or not, you broke the law and gave the authorities a reason to penalise you. In your case, the cops appear to be doing their job the way they should.
"doing their job" howcome my friend!!when i reached the spot before they could tow my car and was ready to move my car aside how do u justify that
and above all it is not legal to tow away the car when the owner is on the spot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
fine the max they can do is fine me!!but screwing with my beloved machine in front of me=BIG TROUBLE

Mod note:

There are several spelling & punctuation errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th January 2014 at 12:57. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/MULTI-QUOTE within 30 minutes of posting.
imuluvshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 14:49   #97
BHPian

So it seems my tryst with the traffic police is never going to end. I study at Mithibai College and there is a stretch opposite my college where it is written "No Parking 17-21 hrs" and I always park between 7 am to 1 pm.

Yet my car got towed yesterday. I had clicked a picture of my car after parking it and showed it to the officer on duty. Yet he wouldn't budge and told me to pay the fine and complain to the police helpline. I'm attaching a picture which I clicked yesterday. I do understand that my car was near a bus stop, but look at the other cars which are parked bang in front of the bus stop!

Yet they never tow big cars and its always us small car owners who become victims.

Faced the following damages to my car -

Front bumper got many scratches.

All the AC gas leaked because of the damage caused by the rod that they use to tow the car. Just for the record, I spent Rs. 9100 last month to repair the AC and that is also documented elsewhere on the forum.

I have escalated this with the traffic police by emailing all the biggies. Got the email addresses from the traffic police website. waiting for a reply.

I know I'll have to pay for the damages from my pocket and I find this completely unfair. There's no point in even fighting with the towing guys since they are just a bunch of rowdies and goons.
Attached Thumbnails
Got caught by Traffic Police? Wriggle out with RTI-chevroletsparkparking.jpg  

StrangeWizard is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 19:15   #98
BHPian

So finally I also joined the club, I am presently in Hyd visiting my in-laws. Was driving my FIL's i10. Was stopped outside Jubilee Bus stand and he asked me for documents and my PUC was not valid so he said fine of Rs.300/- I told him that even I know the rules and I am given 7 days time before I can produce the certificate to which he initially denied then I got down from the car took my phone started recording and asked him to tell now then he said ok forget about the PUC you have previous fines and you have to pay them with the E-seva. Then he printed out a bill with a fine for Rs.235/- which was way back in 2011 and another one for Rs.1035/- in Jan 2014 both were for traffic light violations (thought I still dont have proof).

He then took me to his senior and before anything he told him that I am recording and I also said mentioned I am recording. The officer also told me the same and took my original Drivers license and said pay the fine and take your license from the traffic station. The Junior then told me that if I come before 4pm I can collect it from him at this place itself.

I went to the E-seva center in the Trimulgherry RTO and gave them this challan for which they said that the Jan 2014 violation is not yet updated. They told me tell the cops and gave a number where I can call and make the cops also talk.

I walked out of the RTO and saw a van which issues PUC so immediately got that done and not cos I was afraid of cops but just cos I really do follow rules. My FIL also does but I suppose it just slipped the old mans memory.

I went back to the same location and by then most had left the place except for the junior who stopped me first. He told me he sent my license to be kept in the safe and told me the station was nearby and I can go collect it from there from a particular person X.

I went to the police station and asked for X and he did not speak English or Hindi but only Telugu. An officer sitting nearby was translating for us and said that he cannot return my license unless I pay the Rs.1035 amount. I told them the story of the E-seva people and he said that it will show in their system and I can pay it there. I told them ok and asked for a receipt and then he started giving me some story about he can only do it with the hand held machine and it is not here and to wait or come back in the evening.

I asked him how long and he said 10-15mins and I waited for more than 30mins and when I asked him you pay the money and I will write it in the e-seva slip and you can collect the receipt in the evening. I said ok but I still want to know what the violations are for and I need proof.

All this took me about 2hrs, what started as a beautiful day just turned to a day with a lot of anger and frustration.

Finally I told him I will collect the receipt in the evening and went on about my work and when coming back around 3pm I went back and then got the receipt after waiting for about 15mins.

I dint mind paying for violations, as a citizen I am responsible for violations and I will pay my fines. How do I get proof for my violations cos as of now I have just paid for 2 fines that these guys have told me and gave me a receipt. Anyone from Hyd please help me with this issue, cos till I get proof I am not going to let this matter rest.

Secondly the ruling that cops cant stop you just to check your papers is only for Karnataka or is it applicable to other states also. If the latter is the case then I am again going take it up with the cops as they stopped me for no reason and just in case anyone thinks I was wearing my seat belt.

So Hyd people please guide me. Other than that the phone recording really worked wonders, from a rude voice from the beginning to a soft and very polite self of the cop came to the fore. I have the entire recording with me still and I also have pics of all the cops, from the road to all who I dealt with in the station.
av8er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 22:54   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
I dint mind paying for violations, as a citizen I am responsible for violations and I will pay my fines. How do I get proof for my violations cos as of now I have just paid for 2 fines that these guys have told me and gave me a receipt. Anyone from Hyd please help me with this issue, cos till I get proof I am not going to let this matter rest.

So Hyd people please guide me. Other than that the phone recording really worked wonders, from a rude voice from the beginning to a soft and very polite self of the cop came to the fore. I have the entire recording with me still and I also have pics of all the cops, from the road to all who I dealt with in the station.
Check this website for the challan that you have paid.

You will have to enter the cars registration number and if any violation is there it will appear with the photograph.

http://www.echallan.org/publicview/

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 08:58   #100
BHPian

Thank you Anurag, but to my horror last night I took the receipt and saw that there are no violations at all by this vehicle even in 2011. So What did I pay fine for?

I am not going to let this go. I have taken a print screen shot of the page and I am going to make sure I get to bottom of this. The matter now is not of Rs.1270/- the problem is of cheating me of MY MONEY.

Somehow I felt the moment I flashed my phone camera out those guys decided to make me run around. I say this because when he first stopped me and asked for PUC which I dint have he just mentioned Rs.300/- there was no mention of the other fines but when I got down and started recording is when the other fines came up and PUC was not mentioned at all.

As I read in the forum it is true they are targetting small cars, in my case there were all 2 wheelers which were being stopped and I was in the middle lane and he came all the way to pull me over which was obvious as I was driving a small car too. I am sure none of us have seen the likes of Mercs, Audi, Bmw etc...being stopped.

I want the authorities to know that the public is waking up I am an Aam Admi not belonging to any party. I am definitely going to escalate this issue if it is not sorted out.
av8er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 11:26   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Anurag, but to my horror last night I took the receipt and saw that there are no violations at all by this vehicle even in 2011. So What did I pay fine for?

I am not going to let this go. I have taken a print screen shot of the page and I am going to make sure I get to bottom of this. The matter now is not of Rs.1270/- the problem is of cheating me of MY MONEY.

As I read in the forum it is true they are targetting small cars, in my case there were all 2 wheelers which were being stopped and I was in the middle lane and he came all the way to pull me over which was obvious as I was driving a small car too. I am sure none of us have seen the likes of Mercs, Audi, Bmw etc. being stopped.

I want the authorities to know that the public is waking up I am an Aam Admi not belonging to any party. I am definitely going to escalate this issue if it is not sorted out.
I have been stopped a million times as my T/R number had expired 15 days ago and I haven't received my RC book till yesterday. So whenever I used to venture out I used to get caught minimum 3 times so I got irritated and I stuck a copy of the challan that I paid for permanent registration which is a proof. Now whenever I am stopped I point out towards that copy of challan where I am left free to go.

I don't know on what basis they are stopping cars and checking but it is very random.

If you dont mind post the pictures and videos with the whole issue on Hyderabad Traffic Police FB Page for faster and correct response.

https://www.facebook.com/HYDTP

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 14:00   #102
BHPian

Dear Arun,

Yes, U was suffered a lot, we are sorry for that. Actually on above said vehicle there was two pending e-challans when U have checked. After payment violation photographs will not shown in the HTP website. E-Seva officials should not return back to U come after a week. They will have live data from our HTP server. Another issue is that there will not any option to show the documents after a week as it is not possible to trace again same vehicle on the field. U can go through our website which are the documents should carry at the time of driving. Regarding above vehicle violation photographs, just wait for some time and I will mail to you the same in a day or two.

With Regards
M.Narsing Rao,
Inspector of Police,
Hyderabad.

This is the email sent to me. Is this valid? Isnt the proof of violation supposed to be there no matter when you check it. I still feel I have been cheated. I am going to escalate and take this matter with some news paper. Any other options please let me know.
av8er is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 14:35   #103
Team-BHP Support

I had paid a couple of fines on both my bike and car.
When I query them it does not show any record on the echallan website.

My new car has had 0 violations till now. So it does not even show the owner name.
My old car shows the old name and not the name of its new owner.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 15:49   #104
BHPian

Quote:

This is the email sent to me. Is this valid? Isnt the proof of violation supposed to be there no matter when you check it. I still feel I have been cheated. I am going to escalate and take this matter with some news paper. Any other options please let me know.
They send the challan to the address mentioned in the RC by post which bears the photograph with date and time of violation. I used to get the previous tenant's challan in one of my previous rented flat. I assume that my challans would also have been sent to the address mentioned in the RC where I no longer stay.

Also if they say that they don't have records then I don't think they will be able to defend it if the challan is contested.

Last edited by huntrz : 31st January 2014 at 15:52.
huntrz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 18:46   #105
BHPian

I am definitely going to Contest them.

I am a law abiding citizen. It is not about the money anymore it is about doing what is right. They asked me to pay and I have paid the fine but now I am asking them for proof and if they dont give me proof I dont mind even going to court.

Please people wake up and fight for your rights. As I mentioned I am a true Aam Aadmi not belonging to any party but I am not going to take things thrown at me for no reason.
av8er is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote