Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th June 2005, 13:06   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Exclamation How good drivers/road users are we Indians

,,Well i am probably going to get pasted for this but,,here goes anyway,,this is not a generalization mind u,,we indians r lousy drivers with appaling road sense most of the time,,
now before everybody freaks,,here is a simple check,next time u take your car/bike /scooter,,whatever out on the road,,just observe the following
1) how many people use their indicators before changing lanes
2) how many people accept the limitations of whatever they r driving ,, no way an 800 can keep up with a skoda ( and commonsense dictates that when u see a faster car in ur rearview mirror,,and u r doodling along at 40 kmph in the right most lane on Marine drive(for eg),,first u hv no biz to be in that lane,u MUST GET OUT OF THE WAY
3) when u r stopped at a traffic light ,,look at the front steered wheels of all cars u see and at the vehicles themselves,,and 75% will clearly show that they hv either changed 3 lanes to get as far ahead ,or hv changed their minds about which lane to be in when the light turns green,,basically the front wheels will be jutting out at some crazy angle,,and the vehicles will never be wiaiting in an orderly straight line
i Call this our typically indian thought process,,see a gap/hole whatever ( PUT IT IN ) ,,also thats why our population is a billion plus,,
sorry guys this is not personal ,,but pls think about what i said
snoopy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 13:26   #2
BANNED

Hey welcome snoopy 41..

Well what you talking about is right but we cant create awareness around the whole of india as many drivers are illiterate.. so all we can do is drive safe and make our roads safer by not driving rash..
Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 14:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

So you are introducing yourself as a bad driver?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 14:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, this has always been my thought. If you are very careful while driving anywhere in India, you will have 50% possibility that there wont be any accident. I believe that is the best probability you can get driving here.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 14:40   #5
BHPian

Angry i say..

though we know at heart that we are as bad and ugly as one can get in terms of road mannerisms, we cave in meekly somehow owing to the reason " I dont want to look like a Jack a.r.s.e " follwing those rules".

Most of us want to be street smart ( shyaaney!) and that is what we strive for

On a serious note i think the follwing are the influencing factors.

1) Bad roads ( The Govt doesnt give a damn for infrastructure)
2) Bad planning of roads and habitats ( again the ppl who design them are not competent enuff!)
3) Overly populated country with lots of vehicles.
4) The general awareness and will to abide by for public safety and why rules are framed are not upto the mark.

many more maybe..

There is a lot of Amount in the name life time road tax collected by the govt on new vehicles...i would like to C a proper audit where the govt shows to the public as to how much it has collected and how it has spent. We need acountability and transparency in the way the govt functions.

Just look at how ppl dig up roads to lay their pipes for sewage telecom etc and are least bothered to fill it up properly with tar after they are done.

some things have terribly gone wrong in our country.

Hurry Home

Last edited by muni : 16th June 2005 at 14:42.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 14:43   #6
BHPian

welll........you can not change others...but you can surely adapt yourself..be more attentive on the road..consider all the other drivers as newbies...and think its obvious of them to make mistakes....that way..you'll be more safe yourself and also keep them safe....dont curse people in general....everybody does not drive like M800 ppl and autowallahs
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 15:27   #7
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr
welll........you can not change others...but you can surely adapt yourself..be more attentive on the road..consider all the other drivers as newbies...and think its obvious of them to make mistakes....that way..you'll be more safe yourself and also keep them safe....dont curse people in general....everybody does not drive like M800 ppl and autowallahs
Dead right mate not everybody drives like the M800, the OmniCabs and the perinial pain the *** autowallahs. but together they make about 50% of the road (no stats to prove just from daily experience) and make life miserable for all other motorists on the road.
islandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 15:44   #8
BHPian

okie.
I passed.
from what has been given, i hereby certify V.S.Natarajan, myself as a Good Driver.
My freinds say i drive like an A*****e. Hmm
v_s_natarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 16:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Something Samurai recently told me struck deep and true : "In India we don't learn to drive, we learn to control our vehicles."
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 14:00   #10
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Something Samurai recently told me struck deep and true : "In India we don't learn to drive, we learn to control our vehicles."
I agree. The general mentality of the average Indian driver is: Aim your vehicle in the right direction, push the pedal and hope for the best!

Sometime back, I sat with my cousin in a car. He drives in Dubai. His handling was silky smooth; superb control, perfect gear changes, good use of the mirrors, signaling, parallel parking etc. I was absolutely impressed! He had gone through the mandatory rigorous training and an array of tough tests to get his UAE licence.

Many people I know have learnt driving *after* getting their licenses through an "influential uncle" or something. The situation is quite sad.

Today morning I drove my girlfriend to her office in BKC (in a borrowed car). She lives in Andheri East. The experience was nightmarish in the morning rush hour traffic with all those misguided missiles (aka rickshaws) around. ** Sighhhh **
highpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 14:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

the other day i was out with my dad and he was just teaching me the finer points of driving when he told me this,he said "just think everyone around you doesnt know how to drive.while driving in your own lane expect them to suddenly change lanes for no reason expect them to cut you , to turn without giving signals, to suddenly stop unexpectedly , to just come out of a parking spot without looking, to break a signal at a busy intersection."he said if you keep all this in mind you wont have a problem at all.and now when i think back on what he said, it really makes a lot of sence !!

Rev
revtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 15:21   #12
DRC
BHPian

Default Now be practical..

I am not sure, in this forum we are just talking about the mannerism of driving. In length comments about the inftrastructutre and stuff are passed..
AM I A GOOD DRIVER...??

I am not sure,
I was a verygood driver when I was in US (may be fear of law). I was quite impressed the way system works there.

OF COURSE I have tried to be a good driver in Bangalore also..I soon figured out it does not work. Now I drive with only intention of not hurting anyone.

Please glance at the following situations I undergo every day to my 27+27KM journey on Outer ring road.

1. I take the Hebbal Flyover and try to merge the ORR, only to find a shared cab picking up passengers in the middle of the road right at the point of merging

2. I approach the first signal, signal is red, Every one stopped, I too stop. mid lane. One truck carrying around 25 maruthi cars nearly 100 feet long, comes and stops to left of me. When the signal goes green, I want ot go straight ahead but the truck left of me wants to make a U turn. :WTF: Traffic is chaos, I helplessly see the signal going red and green again and again trice and this idiot is shifting forward and revers forever...

3. After this night mare, I drive further, to find 3 truck blocking the complete 3 lane road, one at 9kph, 8kph, 11 kph each, trying to overtake each other, All other traffic, capable of doing 3digit speeds are just following these idiots.

4. Now the cable stayed bridge at KR puram, the 3 lane highway become a bylane to pass under the bridge AND, there is a bus stop right under the bridge bottle neck. Now one Bus is already parked in the stop, another bus pulls to right caring damn about other road users, and overtakes a stopped bus ONLY TO STOP AHEAD OF THE FIRST ONE. Now the first guy moves and pulls to right caring damn about other road users, and overtakes a stopped bus in front of him to join the road, There is a 1.5 km Jam behind these morons to curse.

I can go on..

Now I have learnt to live with these ...
I also dive the lanes, drive zig-zag, overtake from left, honk loud and long ... Drive just enough carefully not to hurt anyone..
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 15:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr
Hey Burnt, I guess you're generalising M800 people. I drive an M800 here in Delhi, and stick to the rules as much as everyone else does. When in Rome...get the drift? Fact is, Delhi's got to have the trophy for the worst driving conditions ever imaginable, and even people driving Mercs, Beemers and other expensive cars drive exactly like the people in much smaller cars. Their only gripe must be that they cannot squeeze their cars into tight spaces. Maybe you've had bad experiences with small car drivers, but please do not generalise. Making divisions based on cars is similar to making divisions by caste.........it can lead to flaming and unwanted stuff. I hope you take it in the right spirit dude, no offence meant.

Cheers,
Manti.

Last edited by manticore : 17th June 2005 at 15:32.
manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 17:20   #14
BHPian

Wink

DRC couldn't have written it better...
the guys who drive me nuts are the autowallas!!...they move like sloths on open roads and cut across u in busy sections...
two wheelers are much better...they move faster in traffic and generally
get out of the way...
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2005, 20:20   #15
BHPian

I for one, think that the driving of vehicles depends on a number of factors apart from the driver like the following.

1> Road conditions: If the road is bad, car drivers are going to slow down or go around pot-holes, frequently cutting off other drivers.. This is a classic case in bangalore vis-a-vis mumbai.. This is the most important thing..

2> Time spent at the lights: Again the traffic signals in mumbai are so synchronized that if you are driving at a speed of 45 kmpl, you may not have to stop anywhere or at the most a couple of places.. Whereas in bangalore, no matter what speed you drive.. You've got to halt at all the locations..

3> Location of Bus-stops: Often we see the Bus-stops right after an intersection or on busy streets. Then there are bus-drivers who don't have the patience to wait till the bus in front moves and they swirl their vehicle right into the traffic.. blocking all the traffic that follows..

4> School timings coinciding with office timings: This can lead to chaos.

5> Inadequate parking spaces near cinema halls, malls and other public places.

6> Overall time required to get from point-A to point-B. The more time you need, the more restless, or anxious a person becomes and that can lead to insanity.

I wouldn't blame the auto-wallahs only, its the cyclists who cause the most inconvenience to the motor-cyclist, the motor-cyclist causing inconvenience to the auto-wallah, and further up the chain..

Most miserable people are the poor bus-drivers hauling those huge monsters and they have to be careful of pedestrians, cyclists, cars and everything else in between.. So unless, we get better infrastructure and reasonably controlled population in the cities.. These woes are probably not going to end..
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote