Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2005, 08:26   #1

Default Maruti slaps legal notice on Hyundai

Maruti slaps legal notice on Hyundai
By Dilip Maitra DH News Service, Bangalore:

Maruti Udyog Ltd, on Thursday, served a legal notice on Hyundai Motors India, asking the company withdraw its advertising brochure ‘Xing ahead of the Swift’ which gives incorrect and misleading facts about Swift, Maruti’s new car.

The legal notice was served by Maruti’s advocate Pallavi S. Shroff of Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A Shroff & Co. Maruti launched Swift about a month ago and believed to have got booking for 25,000 cars so far. According to Maruti’s notice Hyundai’s brochure contained incorrect drawings comparing Xing to Swift using different dimensional scales, incorrect dimensions of Swift in comparison with Xing. It also contains incorrect description of Swift engine and disparaging remarks about the Versa engine.

A part of the notice reads as follows: our client (Maruti) has collected samples of the brochure from various showrooms and has evidence of it being actively circulated among people visiting Hyundai dealer showrooms. This advertising brochure makes inaccurate, incomplete and distorted statements in three clear categories as below with the intention to deliberately mislead the customers:

* Incorrect drawings comparing the Xing to the Swift using different dimensional scales

* Incorrect dimensions of the Swift mentioned in comparison with the Xing

* Incorrect description of the Swift engine and disparaging remarks about the Versa engine. The notice further reiterates that Hyundai’s comparison of Swift with Xing is not based on objective, relevant or verifiable material and completely misleading.

“This is nothing but an attempt to discredit and denigrate our client's product and to portray them in a derogatory manner by stating that the Swift is a product of low value or merit.

Through your so-called comparison based on false statements, you have tried to ridicule and condemn the Swift” said the notice.

Through this notice Maruti wants Hyundai withdraw the advertising brochure, issue a public clarification by publication in at least two national newspapers and give Maruti a written undertaking within seven days of receipt of this notice that it will henceforth not disparage their products in any manner whatsoever.

The Link : http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanhe...6322005616.asp
Old 17th June 2005, 08:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is upto this bad advert business again. First it were those stupid ad campaigns and now this.
Old 17th June 2005, 08:37   #3
BHPian

Wink

what i want is .....may hyundai not reply properly...MUL moves court...gets a nice damage deal....and pass it on to swift customers
Old 17th June 2005, 09:06   #4
BHPian

Angry

I want the guy in hyundai who suggested this add campaign...flogged in public
not because of the ad against maruti...
but he thought we are fools enough to beleive it...
Old 17th June 2005, 10:16   #5
BHPian

Default hahaha

there they go..what were they thinking all the while..this ad had foolishness written all over it.

Hope they repent and repay for what they did. Cane them Maruti ..go..go..go

Getz is evenly matched to the SWIFT and maybe scores well too except for the steep price tag.

Hurry Home
Old 17th June 2005, 10:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai at it again. They have a habit of giving false performance and its not the first time. Firstly its those ad campaigns and then brochures giving false specas and info. I hope Maruti goes for a case against them, win it in their favour. That should teach Hyundai a lesson to come up with genuine ad ideas.

Dippy
Old 17th June 2005, 10:27   #7
BHPian

Place 2 cars side by side, call a small child. ask him which one he wants.
Swift all the way.

Xing Ahead of Swift ?

Yes only in launch.

Swift 2 months now ! 25000 bookings !!

Can anybody tell me what is the total sale of xing till now after its launch ?
Such that we can calculate the Popularity.

Last edited by tabrez02 : 17th June 2005 at 10:32.
Old 17th June 2005, 10:31   #8
BHPian

Default i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02
Place 2 cars side by side, call a small child. ask him which one he wants.
Swift all the way.
I agree.
My 5 year pld kid has dropped the idea of Fortuner and is nagging me for Swift
Old 17th June 2005, 10:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
I want the guy in hyundai who suggested this add campaign...flogged in public
not because of the ad against maruti...
but he thought we are fools enough to beleive it...
could not have put it better or asked for more. its the assumption hyundai has made about the average car buyer's intelligence that is really insulting.

just a couple of minor additions though....public flogging after public stripping, then a donkey ride all the way to seoul.
Old 17th June 2005, 10:36   #10
BHPian

How cheap can hyundai get...

tomorrow.. who knows ...they might start comparing accent with the accord !!!

Heaven help us shoot them !!!
Old 17th June 2005, 10:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
I agree.
My 5 year pld kid has dropped the idea of Fortuner and is nagging me for Swift
You've got one smart kid buddy !!!

The next-gen TBHP mod in the making...
Old 17th June 2005, 10:46   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When you are being wronged, be loud about it. I am glad that Maruti is taking legal action against Hyundai cos it will prove a deterrent against such future activities

GTO
Old 17th June 2005, 11:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

On a related note, suppose i buy the Xing based on the brochure, later i come to know that the specifications of swift were reported wrong. Can i go to court for a refund as the company lied.
Old 17th June 2005, 11:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
On a related note, suppose i buy the Xing based on the brochure, later i come to know that the specifications of swift were reported wrong. Can i go to court for a refund as the company lied.
Logically the CPA should allow for redressal in such cases. Of course you would need to convince the court that you were indeed so trusting of hyundai that you did not feel the need to cross-check and ascertain the specs and then claim that your trust has been betrayed causing you mental distress and financial loss on account of paying for an inferior product.

he...he...he....sounds so simple doesn't it ?
Old 17th June 2005, 11:28   #15
BHPian

Hyundai's scumbags are making mischief again! Court is the way to go, Maruti. And later, laughing all the way to the bank when Hyundai settles.

BTW, why is Hyundai comparing Swift against the Xing and not against the Getz? I feel they are being rather snooty by doing so ... what say?
Closed Thread