Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd August 2013, 02:58   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Indian 'Car' shows on TV are PATHETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Guys, you should check out the powerdrift channel on youtube.
The production values and the attention to detail is stupendous.
I ended up watching most of their reviews in one go!
Agreed. I saw their review on Audi S4 and was quite impressed by the production values. First time for an Indian Automotive show for sure. Although some of the analogies seemed a little far stretched and placed in the show for the sake of exaggeration, overall the show is quite nice.

Heading in the right direction for sure.
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:43   #167
BHPian

Not really related to Indian Car Shows, but I find that youtube has quite a lot of channels (Drive, Evo, XCAR) which have quite a good collection of well produced videos for the enthusiast. They are all good, but my favourite presenter has to be Chris Harris, esp his channel on Drive titled 'Chris Harris on Cars' (link below)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL239B84BD346EEEFA

He to me is the best presenter right now. Much, much better than what TG, Fifth Gear etc provide. Though I agree, TG is much better entertainment, this is much better 'INFOtainment '
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 16:45   #168
BHPian

One of the most unintentionally hilarious TV shows is Times Drive on Times Now. Both the hosts, Joel Pereira and Kialsh Menon try too hard to be funny and keep harping on weird analogies. In a way they are trying to imitate Jeremey Clarkson but do a very shoddy job of it.

Only watchable show for me is CNB on NDTV. Patankar does a fairly decent job though most of his reviews are of cars that will never reach Indian shores.

But nothing and i mean nothing matches Top Gear, that is by far the greatest automotive show ever.
the_flying_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 13:24   #169
BHPian

I was watching the show wheelocity. I found this funny in their Q&A session that without understanding the questioners monthly usage, driver/self driven, budget, availability of parking and type of usage (highway/city driving). How can these people comment on which car is the best? Till date anyone who has asked me such questions (which is better than which) i ask them all these details and help them.
Secondly, the lady their needs to know that just the more no. of service centres doesn't make a brand better than other. There was a comparison between the Ecosport, Duster and Terrano. She says in terms of service Ford is best because they have more no. of service centers, considering her point i feel TATA should be considered the best in terms of after sales . I know Nissan and Duster are facing problems with their after-sales service, But neither is Ford the best. The reliablity of the Terrano/Duster would be anyday more than the Ecosport. If they really wanted to compare, they should have had compared the W4 XUV with Duster and Terrano. These TV shows are very misleading. Our forum is the best in our country. All the reviews are very unbiased and we don't declare any car as a winner. The positives and negatives are presented, rest the readers can decide. Very proud to be a part of such a realistic forum.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 14:01   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

More than the answers, I find the questions by viewers hilarious.

I am sure they can search online or at-least test drive, visit workshop & get to know a lot about the Cars they are considering.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 20:21   #171
BHPian

Era of TV shows and magazines are long gone. YouTube, and online forums like teambhp are more informative, accurate and current.
The auto shows in India are no longer playing at primetime, I think it's now playing at noon on Sundays.
harishpr is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 23:13   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Era of TV shows and magazines e long gone the ouTube, and online forums like teambhp are more informative, accurate and current.
The auto shows in India are no longer playing at primetime, I think it's now playing at noon on Sundays.
Quite right, I buy the autocar magazine sometimes just out of curiosity and it always seems that almost everything in the magazine has been read before (thanks to Tbhp). In this era, everything is on YouTube. Magazines don't really make sense unless you're building a collection or unable to access the Internet.
On the contrary, CarToqVideos and Autocar on YouTube provide more than enough information to keep the car and bike enthusiast in me happy.

Topgear is in a different league altogether. There's really nothing like it.
Technical hoo-haa gets a little monotonous sometimes in other car shows, so Topgear is a refreshing twist. . It's like the "Comedy nights with Kapil" of car shows.
createrkid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 09:09   #173
BHPian

Car magazines will soon become history as information comes late, they can't provide videos and are costly too. No way media can match online forums like tbhp, tbhp is like opensource projects in software with 1000s of people contributing unbiased information.
B747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 10:42   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
More than the answers, I find the questions by viewers hilarious.
In all probability these questions are self made and users are fake names.
There would be no actual users behind these.

Their business runs on TRP and making it helarious may be part of strategy.
S.MJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 12:14   #175
BHPian

CNBC Overdrive is pretty good.
They do these rallies. I remember they doing one Ladakh trip to compare all hatchbacks sometime back. Many rallies in the lines of "Bunch of dudes having fun" style (inspired by bbc top gear of course). They also have a hotchick version.
Powerdrift is seriously good. Their attention to detail and post production is top notch. Would love to see these guys getting some more love.

I am not a big fan of NDTV show. The host is more inspired by Audi and Mercs and always ranting about Indian cars where as he clearly lacks the skills you really need to review the premium segment cars.

The Hindi and local language reviews like Chicks talking about looks etc are interesting. They cover the basic and perception part pretty well. You will find almost every channel having a car review show. Take a look at this.

But guess what? There are suckers for these kind of shows too. I don't know who would be interested to listen to a hot one talking about cylinders, 4WD and horsepower etc.

Last edited by Ohh!Oxygen : 18th November 2013 at 12:16. Reason: spelling
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 12:31   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
Powerdrift is seriously good. Their attention to detail and post production is top notch. Would love to see these guys getting some more love.
Completely agree, powerdrift guys are really good. Recently I saw new octavia review and it's awesome.
B747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 18:39   #177
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Powerdrift is seriously good. Their attention to detail and post production is top notch.
On which channel does this show air? And what about the timings?
PPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 19:27   #178
BHPian

Post Re: Indian 'Car' shows on TV are PATHETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
On which channel does this show air? And what about the timings?
Hi, You can check out their official reviews here: http://www.youtube.com/user/powerdriftofficial

These guys are seriously good and they show a lot of passion for vehicles.
Kratos453 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 21:00   #179
BHPian

Quote:
CNBC Overdrive is pretty good.
They do these rallies. I remember they doing one Ladakh trip to compare all hatchbacks sometime back..
It was in 2009 when they took 9 hatches to Ladakh and then again in 2011 they drove 7 hatches in the north east. I was a collector of the overdrive magazine, then I switched to top gear and now I've stopped reading these magazines altogether because all that I need is TEAM BHP!:-)
Has anyone noticed that tall host who was in overdrive and now in autocar I suppose. That dude! Can't he talk without moving his hands for once!
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 21:35   #180
BHPian

Just checked out powerdrift. Really good reviews, not drab and superficial like the ndtv/ cnbc/ others.

I distinctly remember buying at least one car magazine a month in my school days ( doing well in exams meant I could buy an extra one :P). The reason I continued with them till college was because I did not have any other source and the fact that I got free posters with them.

Its during my post graduation that I came across teambhp and have never touched a car magazine since then. In fact, more accessible internet meant that I could watch a video (top gear, fifth gear, evo, etc) and keep myself updated on international motor scene as well.

I don't know how car magazines are doing in terms of circulation, but even their online avatars are not setting any charts on fire. Perhaps the world has moved ahead in terms of expectations.

Also not having personalities ( like Clarkson, Tiff) among Indian auto journalism is not helping their cause.
vivekz is offline   Reply With Quote