Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th February 2009, 16:09   #61
Senior - BHPian

It's a question of leverage.

the car show hosts are not confident enough that a free and frank talk about cars will ensure them future accomodation by the concerned manufacturer.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 16:42   #62
BANNED

Overdrive on CNBC TV18 is the autombile.. best show i have ever seen on Indian Screens although its best in INdia but else .. TOP GEAR is the best any day and second is MOtor Trend TV
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 16:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

the poorest car series is the NDTV car & bike hosted by Siddhart Patankar who is perhaps the most insipid lacklustre anchor to grace an auto show.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 17:05   #64
BHPian

i clearly remember one of the shows where they test drove a camry and all they said was the steering feel vague at dead center. common... that really is the limit, someone driving a car on marine drive in bombay at 60kmph tells me the steering feel vague in dead center!!!!

the point why these shows suck is because they do not know their target audience. they are unsure whether they want people to trust their opinion and then buy cars or do they want to really give people some knowledge abotu cars coming into india.

i surely support harries idea on team bhp coming up with a car show. this would surely be a lot of fun. and if someone is willing to initiate a thread on this and start a discussion of speaking to some tv channels i would be very keen on takin this forward!
sharanramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 17:05   #65
BHPian

According to my ratings of the various auto shows that I have watched on the Indian TV are as follows:

1. Autocar (UTVi)
2. Car & Bike (NDTV)
3. Times Drive (Times Now)
4. Overdrive (CNBC)
5. Raftaar (NDTV Hindi)
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 17:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

You should have seen Tutu Dhawan on cnbc awaaz.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 20:13   #67
Team-BHP Support

I find Overdrive on CNBC TV18 to be a decent auto show. The guys like Sirish and Bert who do the test runs show some enthusiasm, and camera work is fine as well.

However, the segment where they interview someone from the auto industry is a total bore, and unwanted. But, looks like they need to bend somewhere to stay in the business.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 21:28   #68
BHPian

I would rate them in this order
1. UTVi Autocar
2. NDTV Car & Bike
3. CNBC Overdrive

I haven't watched Times drive so can't comment on it. Probably will watch from this week.
Rest of them are useless IMO (headlines, zee etc)
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 21:59   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
So was I , this show along with Overdrive are open and are critical instead of raving over every small point. - even slammed the Transform as a driver's car. ACI praises everything. Notice how every comparative test is barely half a star betwen the two
Come to think of it, ODs testdrives are on the upswing lately. They appear to be a little more honest than the others when evaluating a car. But then, they succumb to the pressures and give the Fabia its COTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
its pretty difficult to be unbiased as an individual journalist in a media environment in which content is incidental and ad revenue the driver. This of course extends beyond car shows and is a global issue really.

There is little possibility that any of the individual journos can afford to be critical even if they wanted to, that will piss of the manufacturer with big ad budgets and that has consequences.
True. They are selling their soul. Or in other words, pretty similar to the kind of activities one sees in red light areas.

Team-BHP is the sole unbiased information base on Indian cars. And freely accessible to anyone at that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopano View Post
The show displayed all the new cars in the Indian car market along with those that are lined up for launch in near future. There I could also see many innovations that may redefine the future of car industry. There are many good car shows held in India. I think the one held in Mumbai was the largest international show.
Nanopano, it would help if you go through the thread before hitting that reply button. We are discussion TV shows, not expos.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 17:05   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Funny part is that this thread was created in 2005 and now we are in 2009, and still these shows seem to be pathetic...lol

Partly we have to blame it on cars as well.. How many new launches do we see in a year ?

that too most of the new offerings by most of the makers have only minor changes like new and improved(!!) headlamps or tail lamps..

What will those poor guys show when the fact is that the auto makers have just changed only the headlamps or front grill ?

As our cars catch up with international scene(we are seeing now a days) i am sure the shows too will improve(not just national, even regional shows!!!)

But its a nice timepass reading through the posts

Agreed

Upto now our cars had merely cosmetic change.

for e.g.Even our Swift / Dzire / Palio / Vista / Linea all having same engine.

All having average interiors / comfort / ride.

So, what to describe?

Even people are least bothered about car specification.

I have seen many people booking the car without even test driving.

Companies are also least bothering by giving us discounted & down graded models from the world market and with a hefty premium!!!!

So again what to describe about car!!!

May be the time is changing, as well as cars.

and we will have really genuinely new car models / versions as well as shows.

Lets hope!
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 17:06   #71
BHPian

Mods, please delete the post. Due to break in internet connection, the post is posted twice.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 10th February 2009 at 17:17. Reason: Mods, please delete the post. Due to break in internet connection, the post is posted twice.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 16:29   #72
BHPian

i feel the best show is Auto&motor show on DW TV ,followed by Top Gear and in India CnB in NDTV & Overdrive in CNBC is ok
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 15:12   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Recipe for another yet another mundane Indian car show :

1. Indian girl in short skirts - Knowledge of cars entirely unnecessary.
2. Good animation and intro music. Lift from any 1990 techno song
3. Additional Indian girl in short skirt. 1st girl covers cars. This one will do bikes.
4. Information clipped from news channels.
5. Good camera work on different angles of the car.
6. 10 p.m. slot on popular tv channel.
7. Yet another girl in tight attire or a short skirt
8. Bharat Petroleum "Speed" ads every 5 minutes.
9. Mention the top speed and fuel efficiency of every new car.
10. Finale on "what we will cover next week" by another chick in short skirts.

Its as simple as that.

But where is the real stuff i.e. FIRST HAND CAR INFORMATION!!

GTO

Guys, even the car and bike show at times is head ache. The camera is never steady/still and come up with crazy angles. Angles which are generally reserved for Rajinikanth's intro scene.

and I always have problems concentrating on the car with the chic around. But i dont mind a really good review , dont need a girl just to add glamour to the program

My suggestion, we should come up with our own Team-bhp review. Post it on you tube and add to review section.
haithereitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 15:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

Well to be fair, it isn't easy to review a car in a video as compared to print.

Even Top Gear, which many of us love, is largely useless if you're actually trying to buy a car because they do lots of crazy irrelevant stuff. Rarely do you see them relate to the real world driving scenarios; its always the track and the Stig or some crazy challenge. Some of Clarkson's more absurd opinions don't help much, apart from making it a fun show to watch. Its a good laugh but not for a serious car buyer.

At the end of the day, car shows are always a bit too long winded and boring if you focus on all the parameters properly and its not thorough enough if you try to keep the general audience engaged. Most Indian shows mess up by choosing the middle line which is unsatisfactory for all. That they can't make a strong opinion is a bit disappointing too.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 10th September 2009 at 16:02.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 16:15   #75
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Thread started in 2005, things seem as bad as ever.

Car shows should be of 1 hr not 20-30 mins, they dont cover any detail in the time they have, infact give a lot of irrelevent info repeatedly.

My wife keeps telling me that I would do a better job than those out there - not that I am available.

But seriously 50% of the shows are amaturish and basic.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote