Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th September 2009, 13:47   #106
BHPian

How about making team-bhp reviews and hosting on youtube with team-bhp logo or hosting in the site itself? Mods can decide and edit submitted videos. Just my 2 cents.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 15:45   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
How about making team-bhp reviews and hosting on youtube with team-bhp logo or hosting in the site itself? Mods can decide and edit submitted videos. Just my 2 cents.
Its a pretty hard job to comprehensively review each car. I doubt if the mods have the time since this forum has no sources of funding from the auto industry.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 16:43   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Isnt he the guy who shoehorned old toyota engines into Gypsies or am I confusing him with another chap?
One of the best diesel-conversion jobs in the country. Those Toyota-engined Esteems could give the petrols a run for their money. His restoration (vintage cars) is of a very high order too.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 16:14   #109
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Idea of TBHP reviews is tempting, We should be able to make this happen together considering the various kinds of addtional expertise that members on the forum bring right from PR, Camera Shooting ability, Camera asset, to Cars and access to new cars at showrooms.

We could plan a take off point and actually pull it off. Most current cars can be reviewed by groups of owners.

What's better than an Owner review, of say a fiesta S, a Linea or a Safari or a Scorpio, host of owners of these cars are persent on the forum in each city and some of these are very passionate about their cars.

I would definately provide time and effort for such an activity.

A Nikon D90 HD Camera cum video Camcorder or a Sony 520 HD camcorder would suffice for a video stream on the site.

We should have a seperate thread to discuss this further. Mods..
ACM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 17:37   #110
BHPian

I think that's a smashing idea. It'll help take TBHP to the next level. Of course, even video reviews will have to be mod approved . I don't think any forums done this so far.

Not only will it help prospective buyers get an owners perspective, but also an unbiased, comprehensive and detailed report. Make TBHP the true destination for anything to do with cars *full pride *
Nitronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 16:07   #111
Senior - BHPian

most indian car shows on tv have hosts/ hostesses who seem to be trying too hard to be cool. somehow they come across as slightly "wannabe". most of them are 'wooden' and certainly do not have the "gift of the gab", "easy flowing descriptive powers", "camera presence'or 'personality' of say, a Richard Hammond or Jeremy Clarkson or someone like that.

however, they are the lucky guys who get to travel the world and drive the latest cars.

same goes for some of our auto journalists - i feel that some of them try a bit too hard to infuse humour into their writing or just try too hard to be "cool".

have you ever read the details and comments appearing in the New Car Features and Price Guide section in any of these mags? First let me say that they are quite badly behind time in some of their information. Their pricing and descriptions of the variants are not always accurate - in fact sometimes they are guilty of terrible typos and write ups that are mismatched. Also some of their comments come across as highly condescending in both tone and content.

we still have a long way to go, to attaining international levels of quality in our journalism - both in print as well as live media.

this is only my opinion.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 12:29   #112
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Sorry to post this after a long time. I was watching some videos of our Indian auto shows from various channels on youtube.

Then i stumbled upon a video where a girl was giving a walk through of the features of Linea. As you guys said nothing technical but all the unwanted things. she mentioned one thing that made it even worse.

she said "The German car maker FIAT" and it was not even edited. So bad. I am not sure from which Channel this was.

i dont have any more words to say.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 4th August 2010 at 12:30.
vishnu.csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 12:43   #113
BHPian

Default Just to add a couple of points...

Apart from not paying attention to the details, the Buyer's Guide Section in most auto magazines are complete crap, and often not updated properly. For instance, in Overdrive (Aug 2010), the TVS Wego's Power is listed as 5 BHP.... 5! That's the same as a Scooty Pep.

I guess it's not just the boring, repetitive presenters who ruin the car shows. It's also the fact that apart from lack of ideas, the cinematography and background score is really, well, average, or even nonexistent. Face it, one of the main reasons why Top Gear is outstanding is (apart from the Script and the Presenters) the amazing visual effects, camera work and background score.

But even without that, one which which can be improved is at least having better presenters, or those who seem to have an interest in automobiles (most dont)...

And I don't want the damn tech specs of every vehicle. How the hell does it matter that this car is oh..... 5mm longer = more legroom... like hell it does.

Also, Overdrive's Shubabrara Marmar really kicked the concept of the TVS Max 4R and said that such concepts (of 2 wheelers carrying goods) should not be allowed and that all farmers should drive, ahem... Nanos?

Excuse me, having a Max 4R instead of carrying the same 100+kg load on a TVS Moped or Hero Honda CD is definitely preferable and safer... and the reasons these guys don't buy over Rs. 1 lakh Nano's for such stuff is simple... with prices shooting through the roof, these guys are simply trying to make ends meet and ensure a better future for their kids by saving money where they can. I know that it is not preferable or ideal to carry such heavy loads, but that is the reality in this country.

So instead of wearing ripped leathers and fancy helmet, these jerks should think twice before making stupid comments.

P.S. I think Shireen Bahn is a presenter on the Overdrive Show just for her looks... correction, she is on JUST for her loooks.
Now I remember why I stopped reading Overdrive
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 23:50   #114
BHPian

On a comparative basis, Car and bike show on NDTV is better than most.Sidharth Vinayak Patankar is pleasant and they seem to have a decent budget which is noticeable by the places they visit. The camera man is a little attention grabbing with his angles and movement but atleast Sidharth does a decent job especially with the design aspects of cars. He seems better informed than most others and the show format is more balanced. Information is nowhere close to what we get on our daily dose of Team-bhp.
chittybang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 13:55   #115
BHPian

I agree , the NDTV Car and Bike show is the best of the Indian ones . It of course cannot compare to the likes of Top Gear etc but overall is decent enough . I like the sector snaphot etc and sometimes to see the videos of the cars before you actually start seeing them on roads is good . The guy has also covered stuff like Toyota museum in Japan and Ferrari factory in Italy .

But the in an half an hour show 10-12 minutes of advertisements is very very irritating .
Among the other shows some of the Hindi ones are hillarious and totally useless .
KRf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 14:45   #116
~~h
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
On a comparative basis, Car and bike show on NDTV is better than most.Sidharth Vinayak Patankar is pleasant and they seem to have a decent budget which is noticeable by the places they visit. ...
He's better off , except while talking of Mahindra.

Man, when it's mahindra to discuss this guy is all wheels.. The name Anand Mahinrda automatically brings a smile on his face and all praises. Actually, he has to; Mahindra sponsors his quiz event etc etc.
~~h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 15:16   #117
BHPian

NDTV Car and Bike show is nicely produced. No surpise there, since it comes from the NDTV stables. It has to be slick.

But i have no high opinon on Mr. Sidharth Vinayak Patankar. There is handly any technical info that comes out of his mouth. He seems obsessed with tail lamps, curves on the bonnet and gizmos on dashboard.

And his smirk is highly irritating.
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 22:32   #118

Wink Idea

Folks I have an Idea.

team-bhp publishes 'the best' reviews of the cars. In my opinion it is comphrehensive and detailed. To make it some more attractive and reachable why not invest on some time on making videos? some proffesional camera crew and also short skirt chics to attarct idiots like

One of the best example can be diceTV, its a job site. They publish some videos too checkout here, The hot Jane Miller makes hit this site regularly
Career News and Advice
cnureddy.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 14:09   #119
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Car and Bike show is better compared to other
1. Content. More first drives, factory visits etc
2. The anchor(s) isnt pretentious or trying to show off, something that is annoying in other shows.
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 17:22   #120
BHPian

Needed timings of the various car shows. Having got it, thought of sharing it here.
Is there a show i have missed?

bloomberg-utv:
autocar show - sun 8.00 am, 12.30 pm, 5.00 pm, 10.00 pm

cnbc tv18:
overdrive - sat 10.00 pm, sun 12.30 pm, 7.30 pm,

cnn-ibn:
overdrive - sun 11.30 am

ndtv 24x7:
c&b show - sat 4.30 pm, sun 11.30 am, 11.30 pm

ndtv profit:
c&b show - sat 1.30 pm, sun 7.00 pm,

times now: