Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th July 2009, 15:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd love to be able to keep the plate I have now which, quite by chance, came to me with the numbers 4, 3, 7, 5 an 9 included (but not in that "correct" order and there is an extra "0"). Just right for Thad E. Ginathom!

In UK one can transfer registration numbers. A friend of mine has one that spells out Geetha --- I asked what had happened to it, as she has not had a car for a couple of years. It seems they now allow you to "park" your number if you don't have a car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 15:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In UK one can transfer registration numbers
In UK the whole system is computerised and each data base is syncd. one change in a terminal computer will route it through a authorisation and which will be synced as well to the server. In our local RTO these guys dont even know the spelling of computer. So the whole system of retaining and transferring would be a nightmare for both the govt and customers. with the system of using and writing so many ledgers still a practise , any single problem in transfer will unearth a strings of other mistakes as well. So i think right now it is not possible in india
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 16:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
In UK the whole system is computerised and each data base is syncd. one change in a terminal computer will route it through a authorisation and which will be synced as well to the server. In our local RTO these guys dont even know the spelling of computer. So the whole system of retaining and transferring would be a nightmare for both the govt and customers. with the system of using and writing so many ledgers still a practise , any single problem in transfer will unearth a strings of other mistakes as well. So i think right now it is not possible in india
Not quiet my friend... Even in Chennai/TN RTO, most of the records have now been computerised. That's why minor stuff like Engine endorsement, modifications etc which were possible earlier with bribe, is not so easy now.

It is quiet possible to implement this but there are few questions left to be answered, like how will the history of the car be maintained if the number keeps changing? Once the car gets a new number, we will not even know how many owners the car had previously.

All the services that use only the reg. no will need to be updated to use the chasis + engine number combination. It may be better to first implement unique VIN (Vehicle Identication Number) before number portability.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 13:24   #19
BHPian

Can we please have an update on this topic, how many states and cities have implemented this. I am in Bangalore, has it been implemented here? If not when is it likely to be implemented? This is important to me as I'm looking to buy a friend's car and he will only sell if he can keep the number for his new car.
DRAGONLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:14   #20
BHPian

Just a thought: may be they will give you the same 4 digits, but the prefix will be different? Eg if a 'bossy' guy has a number MH-01-AB-8055, upon conversion, he might get a number like MH-01-ZA-8055 (Z series reserved for such 'premium' conversions?)
aroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 19:08   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The origin on this thread is dated 5//07/09 and its nearly one year ever since. Nothing has been heard about it in the media lately.
The files may be still moving within the babudom or has the proposal been shot down?
Nevertheless, it will surely reduce the work of the Maharashtra Transport department but several queries need to be answered and several gap areas need to be addressed.
A whole series of new problems may immediately emerge once the proposal is through. The practice is in vogue in the UK since the early decades of the previous century viz. 1921. It would be better if the Maharashtra Govt studies the UK pattern and devises something to suit our Indian scenario.
This is an excerpt from an article "Whats in Number" I wrote in a newspaper a few years ago:

" After the invention of the motorcar and consequent upon the honeymoon of man with the motorized four wheels, the Paris Police in 1893, introduced the worlds first number plates in France. Thereafter in 1901, the first cars to be registered in the United States were from New York and California States. The first American licence plates carried the owners initials, something that is still possible in the USA and UK today, wherein customized number plates are still in vogue, of course for a premium."
" In August 1904, the Motor Car Act of Great Britain came into effect, which required all cars to carry a number plate and all motorists to have a driving licence. The registration cost was 1 pound (UK), while a driving licence cost 5 Shillings. There was no test drive to pass. A form was to be filled up and the fee had to be paid at the post office. Earl Russell was allotted A 1, the first London number, while Lord Kingsburg got S 1, the first number in Scotland. By 1904, 28,842 vehicles were registered and by 1905, the number rose to 66, 703."
"In the U.K., limited plates with red letters and digits on a white background, go for a premium and have been transferable from one vehicle to another, since 1921. This implies that if one buys a new car, he or she can retain the older number after the completion of formalities."

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th May 2010 at 19:13.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 23:43   #22
BHPian

This was mentioned in the Times of India newspaper recently in Bangalore. Spoke to the people at the RTO in Bangalore, they have confirmed that it is in effect in Delhi and a couple of other places. It is expected to happen in Bangalore before the end of this year.

Last edited by DRAGONLORD : 6th May 2010 at 23:47.
Old 7th May 2010, 00:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

This has been in effect since ages in Haryana at least. A relative who went to college on his scooter with a single digit number two decades ago got the number transferred from that scooter to the various cars that he has bought over the last two decades. He still uses it on one his current vehicles.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 00:58   #24
BHPian

That is what I meant when I said "a couple of other places" Haryana being one of them. But other states and cities are not so lucky, until now.

I couldn't find the news paper article but I found this article on the net dated April 18th 2010:

Retain Old Car's Number On New Car- Vehicle Number Portability

Last edited by DRAGONLORD : 7th May 2010 at 01:00.
Old 19th October 2011, 11:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Love your old number plate? Now you may use it on your new car

what i have been informed from the Thane RTO is that this bill has been proposed for VEHICLE NUMBER PORTABILITY but has not been passed yet. All of this has still not come into action. They say that there are a lot of difficulties which the RTO might have to face considering the 2nd hand market for automobile purchase. Also they said that once you pay the FEE for the VIP number, whenever you want to retain this old number for a new vehicle you will have to pay the same amount and not twice or thrice like they are charging now for jumping through series.
One more difficult possibility is to handle inter-state registrations. Contacting individual RTOs for details and verification will be time consuming.
But we hope that despite of all the probable difficulties, the RTO comes up with a favourable solution so that all of us can stick to out lucky numbers for life.
parrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 11:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wasnt this rule in place already?

Once at a car accessories dealer I happened to see a brand new Endy with an oldish number series (than the one's going on in Pune). Happened to ask the driver about it, and he did mention that his boss really liked that series and number, hence transferred the same to the new car.

Its a different story that this owner had to shell out 1 Lac to do so, though.

EDIT: Oops, just realised, this was an old thread that was being bumped up. .
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 11:37   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Does this exist in Delhi or still in planning stages? If I want to retain my number from the old car, then how do I sell that car? I have to apply for its registration costs again or what?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 15:08   #28
BHPian

So, is this really possible?
Any real life experience?
Any light on the process?
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 15:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post

Does any one know if this is possible in any other country?
Yes, In the US, the license plate (number) is assigned to the owner and linked to the VIN of the car. If you are selling the car, the new owner has to get a new license plate.
Also, I think in some US states, the law is a bit different.

This is possible because, in the US, the primary identifier for a vehicle is the VIN number. All vehicle history is maintained based on VIN.

But, in India, so far the primary identifier used to be the registration number (and of course, the engine & chassis numbers).
MSAneesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015, 21:06   #30
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I think it's possible for sure. I see a duster Parked in my apartment complex with the regn number PCP 9xx.

In fact the same number was in a ford ikon earlier and I think the owner switched cars but kept the number intact. Not sure what's the procedure though.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote