Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th July 2009, 19:13   #61
BHPian

I personally own a FIAT, Hyundai and Tata. Earlier, about a year or so, pre-Linea, out of the 3, the Hyundais had better service. However, since the Linea, there has been a rather large shift by Tata-Fiat towards customer demands, satisfaction and needs. There have been quite a few insightful comments in this thread which actually sum up the question asked by the thread starter.
A one year effort is not sufficient to turn around the fortunes as well as the perceptions about a brand. But, the main point is that the brand is trying very hard to change its image and is succeeding in doing so. If you want to compare the brand with another one which has already had the luxury of being here for the last 25 years, I think its not fair.

Yes, FIAT has been in India for the last 11-12 years, but this new chapter constitutes a new beginning that should not be compared with the previous disasters. Are companies not allowed to recover from their mistakes or is a brand forever tarnished for failures in its initial stages? Yes, I know, a lot of you will say that failing consistently for the last 9 years is a valid point and I agree. But, they have taken all these failures as a learning experienc and in my opinion, have finally found the pulse of the India market. So, I now believe that this innings should be the best from FIAT.

The best thing to do is to wait and watch. The sales of the brand are improving, the cars are generating interest, the needs of the customer are being at best being met, so as of now, the brand is creating an image. If tomorrow, it fails to adhere to its standards set in the last year, we will automatically see the sales drop and will be able to comfortably declare the brand as a failure.

Till then, lets us wait and watch!

Last edited by prateekswarup : 12th July 2009 at 19:16. Reason: Spelling mistakes :)
Old 12th July 2009, 19:17   #62

Hi
I was waiting for the gp to be launched but when i test drove it. It was good in ride quality and handling but the engine was pathetic (1.3 mjd) which in a swift vdi performs nicely. The performance was bad it takes a long time to hot 100 kph .that is the reason i have decided to buy th 12o diesel which has a better performance than the gp.
Old 12th July 2009, 19:25   #63
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
So you mean to say MAruti and Hyundai are less safe than Fiat. Come on guys grow up. Just because a car is built heavy doesnt mean it is safer than other cars.
Likeways, putting airbags in tinboxes does not make that safe, either.

Old 12th July 2009, 19:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post

Yes, FIAT has been in India for the last 11-12 years, but this new chapter constitutes a new beginning that should not be compared with the previous disasters. Are companies not allowed to recover from their mistakes or is a brand forever tarnished for failures in its initial stages? Yes, I know, a lot of you will say that failing consistently for the last 9 years is a valid point and I agree. But, they have taken all these failures as a learning experienc and in my opinion, have finally found the pulse of the India market. So, I now believe that this innings should be the best from FIAT.

The best thing to do is to wait and watch. The sales of the brand are improving, the cars are generating interest, the needs of the customer are being at best being met, so as of now, the brand is creating an image. If tomorrow, it fails to adhere to its standards set in the last year, we will automatically see the sales drop and will be able to comfortably declare the brand as a failure.

Till then, lets us wait and watch!
+1 to this. Let the market decide.

I'm sick of,
FIAT is a failure - Don't buy!
Maruti makes tin boxes - Don't buy!
Honda n Hyundai loot the Indians - Don't buy!
GM is going to be bankrupt - Don't buy!
Ford Maintanenace will wash ur bank balance - Don't buy!
Tata cars will fall apart before you reach the main road - Don't buy!
Mahindra Scorpio will topple - Don't buy!

God! I thought this forum was suppose to help people to buy..not scare away people from every damn car manufacturer
Old 12th July 2009, 19:46   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I don't understand the intention of this thread?

It looks like thread-starter is giving his justification for buying a i20!
Congrats mate! Enjoy your car!
Exactly whats the point of this thread?
another thread where people can freely bash FIAT?
thread starter and others want to justify buying hyundai/other brand?

Linea which was launched last year is doing well and by the initial report Punto is well on its way to be a hot seller.

FIAT is already selling more cars than Ford in India .
Old 12th July 2009, 20:28   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Exactly whats the point of this thread?
another thread where people can freely bash FIAT?
thread starter and others want to justify buying hyundai/other brand?

Linea which was launched last year is doing well and by the initial report Punto is well on its way to be a hot seller.

FIAT is already selling more cars than Ford in India .
Since it is comming from a person who has driven the GTX for a very long time and has had major problems with the after sales, i think he just wanted to clarify that after sales is as important as the car itself.

I will be very happy if linea and punto do well but the History says that Fiat always launch their great cars with a bang and some time later people start doing Bang Bang.

The guy never tried justifying his new car.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 12th July 2009 at 20:29.
Old 12th July 2009, 20:33   #67
BHPian

Thumbs up Let the ownership experience speak!

In this bizarre cacophonic flow of love-hate emotions i would like to gently insert my experience of owning a 'FIAT', not to prove anything but to share. I have owned a Linea Multijet for about 4 months and on the verge of clocking 10K Kms. Every moment of ownership has been filled with an extreme sense of pride and joy. The after sales experience has been extremely pleasant. Issues raised were carefully and ceremoniously handled, nothing short of pure 'Customer Delight'. Although I have owned 3 maruti vehicles in the past (still own a SWIFT) their customer service never came close to what i have experienced with FIAL.

During the course of my daily 100 km travel I hit the more than highway 60% of the time and have ripped past a lot of fancy modern cars without the car giving away its near perfect road manners. Talk about an underpowered engine, packaged with rock solid stability! As if that weren't enough with a car its size i have consistently been at the receiving end of 16~18 FE; my wallets ripping at seams. Pretty happy with the decent and classy interiors, having seen what comes with the ANHC and some other cars in the segment, this one's neither overstated nor understated just apt. Features galore, i have found Linea to be true VFM with a very usable set of features making driving this exotic a tasteful pleasure. Watch out for the 10K ownership review in full detail (coming soon).

By the way if someone asked me if i would buy a 'FIAT' again, without doubt i would say 'Yes'.
Old 12th July 2009, 20:41   #68
BHPian

I have had three Fiats till date absoultley no problems till date .

I was quite suprised to see the thread actually ... instead of naming it whatevr its named now , it should have been named as i got myself i20 simple ..

Even when the linea was launched there was a thread stating possible issues !!

I think we have few people amongst ourself who just dont like the name Fiat ..

I agree there is scope for improvement in the service department ..

Atleast Fiat is not as bad as Skoda ....

I am a proud Fiat owner , i have had a 1.2 , s10 and i have 1.9d i love all there machines .

I did a trip to north India from Bangalore to Varanasi and back .. with zero issues my car is 70k on the odo.. there is zero vibration in the car ..

Fiat is trying to change lets respect that and given them an oppurtunity ...

Regards
Abhishek .
PUG.
Old 12th July 2009, 20:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Every moment of ownership has been filled with an extreme sense of pride and joy. The after sales experience has been extremely pleasant. Issues raised were carefully and ceremoniously handled, nothing short of pure 'Customer Delight'. Although I have owned 3 maruti vehicles in the past (still own a SWIFT) their customer service never came close to what i have experienced with FIAL.
That is very good to hear and may your tribe increase - of owners that remain just as satisfied in actual use for the duration of their ownership, even as their numbers swell rapidly. As I have posted somewhere earlier, I would love for Fiat to succeed in India, because in terms of VFM driving pleasure, they are in a class of their own. Remember too that the Palio, even more than the GP, was actually engineered for third world manufacture and use, and has proved very successful in Brazil. It is just that having driven modern Fiats in India for over ten years, and tasted the entire experience, good and bad, on offer, I would like to take a break for a few years to see how their future now unfolds, before committing more buying from them. I do not think that anyone will grudge me that!
Old 12th July 2009, 21:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
wow aag ,i had heard and seen quite a few fiat fanboys but i think u must the one and only genuine maruti fan boy which i have heard on this thread
If you spare some time and read my posts, I am the one to claim that Baleno spares are expensive and hard to find. Why I am posting that ? Because that is what I have faced and I am facing currently. I am not anti-Fiat or pro-Maruti. Whatever I am posting is what I have experienced at one point of time or other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
3) They were near bankcrupt. Their new Indian plant was under construction. These things take time and money which was in short supply due to their bankcrupt situation.
Everybody had issues at one point of time or other. And most of manufacturers were small when they started. I think that Ford was once in deep trouble too, but it has fared better than Fiat, atleast they stand up by their products and dont end up in JV for sales and service.

If maruti and Hyundai can import TUD5 from Peugeot long time back, I think Fiat could have imported SDE for Palio. This would have made it great car and Swift would not be what it is today as Palio would have made serious inroads into diesel hatchback. But they did not move in that direction.

Even today, why are they not putting in 1.6 diesel ? What is the exact reason ? Price it up in the segment of Cedia and G3HC and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post

2) Why did Suzuki not design their own engine? Why are they using a Fiat engine. Which is the most fuel efficient and fun to drive Maruti? And which engine does this Maruti use?

3) You said it right. Maruti does not have to worry about cost cutting. They don't have an image of producing good quality cars.

4) The newgen Maruti/Suzuki engines are not very fuel efficient. How many people in the rest of the world actually buy a Suzuki.

6) Surprising thing is that I get an Infraction for too many pro Fiat posts and aaggoswami gets away with his Anti-Fiat & Pro-Maruti rhetoric. Mods are you listening?
2) Suzuki is not a very large manufacturer like Fiat. Suzuki has good presence in India and Japan. They did not have resources/skills for developing a small diesel. They were indirectly related with Fiat through GM. Fiat at that time was in money crunch, so the deal was simple. Suzuki paid good money for producing this engine. They manage to rack up a plant and started producing the engine that Fiat could have imported and plonked in Palio long time back.

3) Original Zen, Baleno and GV are examples you must look at before making this comment. Also I have noticed that Ritz has better interior fit and finish than earlier marutis.

4) The K-series is good in FE department. Who told you that latest engines from Suzuki are bad ?

6) Again what I am posting is from my experience. I take that comment personally and would post a few things :

a) I think I am the only one on TBHP to say that Baleno spares are expensive and hard to find. I have faced this and that's why I am posting here with honesty.

b) In the Fiat Linea thread before it actually came out, it was me who posted that Linea should come out with three diesels, 1.3, 1.6 and 1.9. 1.3 in lower midsize, 1.6 in highmidsize and 1.9 in range just above Rs. 10 lakh would have competition running for cover.
Why would I post like that ?

I suggest you have a look at my posts in the Linea thread and then come up with an answer.

OT : I think I am taken quite negatively and those who believe I am Maruti fan boy, look at my other posts also where I have stated that Linea with three diesels in the midsize segment would kill competition that includes Swift Dzire and SX4. I blame Maruti for offering a product like Estilo that has spoiled Zen brand image. I am unhappy with Baleno parts issue.
Before making comments on me, spend some more time and go through my other posts too.
Old 12th July 2009, 21:47   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
That is very good to hear and may your tribe increase - of owners that remain just as satisfied in actual use for the duration of their ownership, even as their numbers swell rapidly. ... I would like to take a break for a few years to see how their future now unfolds, before committing more buying from them. I do not think that anyone will grudge me that!
I really appreciated that you started this thread because I share the same fears you do, though not too strongly. I also appreciate your candor in explaining why you went in for the i20.

I am of course disappointed with fan boy posts - from the camp of any manufacturer; and rue the fact that every Fiat thread de-generates into some kind of cat fight.

This site should serve as a repository for objective information about any car - lets keep it that way.
Old 12th July 2009, 22:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I am of course disappointed with fan boy posts - from the camp of any manufacturer; and rue the fact that every Fiat thread de-generates into some kind of cat fight.
Akin to a question I asked earlier, this is intriguing on its own - why do you think this happens for Fiat threads and not for other makes? Although I read some pretty strong and not entirely rational anti Honda sentiment when the Jazz pricing was announced, and maybe there has been more of that earlier wrt Honda too. Maybe a good topic for a new thread!
Old 12th July 2009, 22:40   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Akin to a question I asked earlier, this is intriguing on its own - why do you think this happens for Fiat threads and not for other makes? Although I read some pretty strong and not entirely rational anti Honda sentiment when the Jazz pricing was announced, and maybe there has been more of that earlier wrt Honda too.
To answer your question - I think the Fiat boys (me included at times) have been through the cycle of buying against conventional wisdom, ownership (in most parts satisfactory), hearing the comments about Fiat (some justified, some not imho) and closely tracking the activities of the marque in India. I think the latter was more because sub consciously every one was writing Fiat off and I think most of us were just too happy to see things turn around - from an ownership perspective and also from a sense of gratification (the I told you type).

There have been some Fiat evangelists as well - who have offered from time to time Fiat cars as a solution for everything under the sun.

Both the above mentioned factors have caused over a period of time a reverse reaction - almost allergic in nature - where the others jump in as well. Heh heh ... but that is fun is it not?

On a more serious note I have heard a lot of strong words against Hyundai and Tata where I felt they were not necessary. Regarding the Jazz, I was a bit disappointed with the reaction, though not too surprised. It was almost as if most people were saying - I wanted to buy this car, I cannot now - Honda has screwed up! Even with the i20, I think the reaction has been a bit too negative. Come on guys we do not buy every car that comes into the market. Do we? So let it be, the prices will come down if they have to. Look at the car on merit.

Quote:
Maybe a good topic for a new thread!
Yeah - definitely an interesting topic for discussion.
Old 12th July 2009, 22:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Akin to a question I asked earlier, this is intriguing on its own - why do you think this happens for Fiat threads and not for other makes? Although I read some pretty strong and not entirely rational anti Honda sentiment when the Jazz pricing was announced, and maybe there has been more of that earlier wrt Honda too. Maybe a good topic for a new thread!
Aye aye! Honda and Fiat provoke pretty strong reactions (perhaps its a good thing because as brands, you want to stand out) but the difference is that Honda fans are few and far between. I've defended Honda's pricing several times now against some really absurd allegations despite the fact that I'm not a Honda fan. At least Fiat has its defenders who speak out. By the way, why don't you start the thread?
Old 12th July 2009, 22:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Aye aye! Honda and Fiat provoke pretty strong reactions (perhaps its a good thing because as brands, you want to stand out) but the difference is that Honda fans are few and far between. I've defended Honda's pricing several times now against some really absurd allegations despite the fact that I'm not a Honda fan. At least Fiat has its defenders who speak out. By the way, why don't you start the thread?
Re the new thread, I think I have initiated enough chaos here to get another one going! And as to your comment about Honda fans - there are many more of them than there are of Fiat, to be honest, but this forum is not the place that you will find them. They lead sensible lives away from such places, unlike you, I and the rest of us here
Closed Thread