Times Drive 11 10.48%
Autocar Show 11 10.48%
Top Drive 1 0.95%
Others (please mention) 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th July 2009, 13:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default TV Car Shows Shootout

This is one aspect that we have often ignored at TBHP and I think its hightime we get some serious discussion going on this. This weekend thanks to Tata Sky plus I have been recording all these TV shows and to my surprise the ones that I usually thought were good, have lost steam and the new ones seem to have taken the top spot. You'll find below my take on the various shows and a poll. Please provide your inputs as to which shows you like....

I am adding a poll to this thread as well, as its about time the self proclaimed media auto gurus of the world see how the India's premiere online motorin portal rates them.

NDTV Profit Car and Bike Show

Now this is the first show that comes to most minds when you think about car tv shows. Undoubtedly this indeed was one of the good ones out there when you compare to the likes of wheelocity etc. Siddharth Vinayak Patankar does a decent job but there in lies the shows biggest downfall in my books off late. The show has become a one man show, monotonous and more of Sidharth finding a way to finance his travels to different parts of the world to drive cars that might not even end up coming to India just for the heck of it. The reviews have become more generic and at times the camera work is questionable too (at times they dont even show the interiors of the car being reviewed properly). The Punto review was very basic and calling Fabia the segment leader in hatch segment with great engine and class made me wonder what he has been smoking. Having sad all that the show still holds my interest, but it could seriously do with some fresh faces rather than being a one man army that it has become off late.

CNBC Awaaz Overdrive

This is one show that is probably aimed at older age masses. Who else in his right mind would listen to take advise from Mr.Tutu Dhavan to buy a car. Its really funny to listen to his answers and almost reminds me of the 20th century era that has gone by. Its shows like this that make NDTV C&B more bearable.

Zee Business Wheelocity

I guess overdrive and wheeolocity compete to outdo each other in terms of poor editing, production and content. The only saving grace here is the test driver of Wheelocity is somewhat better than the Overdrive. Having said that to have girl anchors that have absolutely no idea about cars and bikes review them at times or ask uninformed questions kind of gets on my nerves.

Times Now Times Drive

This is one of the better shows, but I think it has too much of a firangi twang from the anchors. It looks more of a Page 3 consortium than auto journalism. Some of their shows are really good, but the Punto review in the last episode was a sham. The car that takes 18.5 seconds to 100 is considered torque machine in his books. He spent more time coming with englishes phrases to flaunder his english and less time talking about the car itself.

- Punto longer than most hatches and very spacious
- The car has so much torque and lagless delivery its great to drive
- Interiors are warm and welcoming
- Prices qouted are between 4.5 lakhs to 6 lakhs for deisel

Reviews like these make me wonder about the kickbacks from the companies to these shows. Unlike GTOs review which pointed both the pros and cons, here we have generic review which is more to with product marketing than an actual road test.

UTVI Autocar Show

The last episode covered Raid de Himalayas in Royal Enfield and was a refreshing change from the other serials mentioned here. The show was not a wanna be NRI kinds, the anchors spoke in *Indian* accents but in a very clear and concise manner. It was more about content than fancy english words or camera angles or a fake accent. Totally digged the show, and hope they keep the same spirit going.

IBN 7 Top Drive

The show is trying to compete in the lower spectrum of the auto shows. More about anchors looking good on screen than cars. They compared i10 with A Star and I qoute what they said:

" A Star ki keemat hai 3.5 lakhs to 4 lakhs and i10 ke keemat hai 4.5 lakhs" After the whole comparison they didnt tell which car is preffered or wins. And misleading pricing was the icing on the cake. This is more about all TV channels having their car shows than to really make a good car show.

CNBC TV 18 Overdrive

Now this is one show that I would simply recommend to one and all. What a great review they did on Punto, capturing everything that GTO had stated about the car, both the pros and cons. No fake accents, no faltu attitude, just pure content as it should be. Even gave the 0-100 figure of Punto (18.5 seconds) and Ritz and talked the fact that both engines are not as peppy as Swift due to BSIV norms. This show takes the crown in my book when it comes to TV auto shows.

I am sure I would have missed other auto shows like Raftaar etc, please feel free to add your comments for the shows you like and excersize your franchise and vote for your favorite TV Car show.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 13:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please post the timings of all the above shows. Will be very very helpful.

Personally i prefer Times Now Times Drive.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 13:57   #3
BHPian

I love Times Drive and the Autocar show.

Times drive has a fresh appeal to it, and is a welcome change from siddharth vinayak patankar going over every crease and curve in the body of the car with a fine tooth comb!

Used to like the Car and Bike show as well, but it does tend to get a bit monotonous, as you have pointed out.

As far as the rest of them are concerned, especially the ones like wheelocity and raftaar, the lesser that is said about them, the better.
d3mon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 14:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Out of the current shows on air I like Times Drive. Its quite nice. The Hindi ones are crap.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 14:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

I like Overdrive, Car and Bike show (when they focus on cars in India), Autocar and Times Drive. If I have to pick one today, I would pick Overdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Could someone please post the timings of all the above shows. Will be very very helpful.

Personally i prefer Times Now Times Drive.
We have an existing thread to track the schedules of Car shows on TV http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...car-shows.html (TV Schedules - Car Shows!!) although it could use some updates.

MODS: The poll has two Overdrive labels (no distinction between Awaaz and CNBC18). I wanted to click for CNBC Overdrive, guess I might have clicked on Awaaz one by mistake :(

Last edited by hondadude : 12th July 2009 at 14:07.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 14:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I like Overdrive, Car and Bike show (when they focus on cars in India), Autocar and Times Drive. If I have to pick one today, I would pick Overdrive.

We have an existing thread to track the schedules of Car shows on TV http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...car-shows.html (TV Schedules - Car Shows!!) although it could use some updates.

MODS: The poll has two Overdrive labels (no distinction between Awaaz and CNBC18). I wanted to click for CNBC Overdrive, guess I might have clicked on Awaaz one by mistake :(
My bad... didnt notice that untill you pointed out... but the good thing is that Awaaz finally got a vote

Mods could you please edit the polling option to reflect Awaaz Overdrive and CNBC Overdrive (Thanks)
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 15:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
My bad... didnt notice that untill you pointed out... but the good thing is that Awaaz finally got a vote

Mods could you please edit the polling option to reflect Awaaz Overdrive and CNBC Overdrive (Thanks)
Mods can I change my vote. I thought it was the Top Drive on BBC. Didnt see the original post below of it being IBNs Top drive. Anyways my pick now is Over drive followed by Autocar
nurni76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 17:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Mods can I change my vote. I thought it was the Top Drive on BBC. Didnt see the original post below of it being IBNs Top drive. Anyways my pick now is Over drive followed by Autocar
Confusing between top gear and top drive? BLASPHEMY!!
d3mon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 18:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

I do not watch any damn TV "car" shows, why do you need to? when you have a show run by a team of 45,000 people called team-bhp?
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 19:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I do not watch any damn TV "car" shows, why do you need to? when you have a show run by a team of 45,000 people called team-bhp?
Me too! I think that should be an option as well in the poll.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 20:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Confusing between top gear and top drive? BLASPHEMY!!
Pardon my ignorance. I actually confused between Top Gear and Top Drive
nurni76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 21:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

the one and only top gear - not for facts, but for the thrilling challenges!

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 00:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

i will stick with the NDTV Car & Bike show. the way Siddarth Pathankar presents is excellent. each and every detail is there. also the supercar trio-ferrai summer, la lamorghini and maserati shows were awesome.

next is the UTVi Autocar show. its very good.
rest are total crap. (according to me.)
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 01:10   #14
BHPian

For me its NDTV Car & Bike show. This show talks about the aesthetics and design elements of the car not just the performance aspects. IMO that is an important point usually missed by many.
Among the rest UTVi autocar is OK.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 01:29   #15
BANNED

I have a Soft Spot for the Autocar Show...My car was Featured on it so naturally!!

But honestly, atleast they know what they are talking about!! Unlike some other shows.... And im not even talking about the Hindi ones. those are just pure entertainment,,,,
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote