Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Who will win the Automatic war
Hyundai i10 6 8.00%
Hyundai i20 13 17.33%
Hyundai Verna 6 8.00%
All New Honda City 50 66.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 23:40   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Default

Sorry for the OT post, but :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
The Jazz, which the ANHC is based on, has scored 5 stars.
1) Chevrolet UV-A and Aveo are based on same platform, but UVA scores 3 stars and Aveo scores 1.5.

2) SX4 hatch scored 4/5, but the sedan was also internally tested at EuroNCAP and scored 4/5.

So it does not necessarily translate that if Jazz has scored 5 stars, G3HC/ANHC also scores similar stars. Different cars based on similar platform can score different ratings. A classic example is Golf and Laura. VW Golf V scored 5 stars and Laura, based on Golf V scored 4 stars.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 23:44   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

By Sunday, if all goes according to plan, I will have driven all four of the above. As of now I've driven only one i.e. the Verna A/T (most improbable one, you say?)

Anyway, here's what I have to offer to this topic:
  • The thread is an interesting one, kudos to the thread starter. A very relevant, interesting discussion should come out of this thread. It stands for the typical dilemma faced by a prospective A/T buyer.
  • However, there are certain limitations. One, the used car market is not at all applicable here. Two, the Verna and the City are both over 10L OTR (Mumbai, atleast). I suggest the thread title be edited to 11L and the Scorpio be added. So what if it's an SUV? It still fits the criteria here.
  • Which brings me to the third point. Comparing apples to oranges / cucumbers / pesticides is all ok in this thread. After all, that is ground reality of our car market - an A/T buyer can excercise no choice because the one and only parameter of consideration here is price IMO. The more you have, the higher you can go. In no two segments under 11L are there two or more A/T's to choose from. Every market segment has a unique A/T.
  • Pro's and con's are subjective. So no point in commenting on / picking faults with the thread starter's opinion in post # 1.
  • A voting member, IMO, should make his reasons for voting clear. For someone, the i10 might be VFM while for another one, the ANHC is technologically superior. (Unfortunately, in a typical scenario that makes this comparision irrelevant since there's no common ground of comparision, but sigh, that's how our market is).
  • Why have people [voted / not voted] for the i20 A/T? Considering it's not even available for TD's yet (AFAIK)? On what basis can anyone comment on the i20? Because of this, I think this thread is a little ahead of it's time, maybe by a couple of weeks.
I will vote on this thread once my TD's are done at the end of this week.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 08:27   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

The poll has missed one A/T below 10 Lacs, Wagon R. It does have an AT version built by MUL on order
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 09:19   #34
ashwinpak
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wholeheartedly agree. In the comparison, I did not claim ANHC to be high on safety. I mentioned safety as a pro for i20 and a con for i10, as crash test results were available for these cars. My comparison of ANHC to Jazz is just to suggest that it would not be way too off mark when it comes to safety. I may be wrong.

Ps. If mods can edit the con of i10 and remove “low on safety”, I guess, it would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Sorry for the OT post, but :

1) Chevrolet UV-A and Aveo are based on same platform, but UVA scores 3 stars and Aveo scores 1.5.

2) SX4 hatch scored 4/5, but the sedan was also internally tested at EuroNCAP and scored 4/5.

So it does not necessarily translate that if Jazz has scored 5 stars, G3HC/ANHC also scores similar stars. Different cars based on similar platform can score different ratings. A classic example is Golf and Laura. VW Golf V scored 5 stars and Laura, based on Golf V scored 4 stars.

Last edited by ashwinpak : 16th July 2009 at 09:20.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 09:39   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,964
Thanked: 4,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
  • Which brings me to the third point. Comparing apples to oranges / cucumbers / pesticides is all ok in this thread. After all, that is ground reality of our car market - an A/T buyer can excercise no choice because the one and only parameter of consideration here is price IMO. The more you have, the higher you can go. In no two segments under 11L are there two or more A/T's to choose from. Every market segment has a unique A/T.
That's exactly why i said what's the point of this thread? Rather say best AT hatch or best AT sedan under ten lacs?
When one decides to buy an automatic, he does not decide on price alone. First thing that one decides if they want a sedan or a hatch. Then stretch the budget or not. When we bought our i10AT, dad was adamant on a hatch. With limited options, i10 at that time was the best bet. Then the budget came into play and since we wanted ABS & airbags, we choose the Asta version.
So, my point being that just because options are limited, you cannot pass off an apple as an orange and vice-a-versa.
These are the options:
Hatch options: i10, santro, wagon R & i20
Sedan Options: ANHC & Verna
So there are choices, albeit limited.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 09:51   #36
BHPian
 
appuchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangy
Posts: 641
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

I did not try to decide between hatch or sedan when I decided to buy a car. I shortlisted i20, Fiesta and Linea. I decided based on what I liked after driving and taking my family. After all what is big deal of difference, its just an extended boot, at least in the case of sedans which we are talking about here. They are still small cars and would have been sold as hatches elsewhere. If Hyundai had attached a boot to i20, it would have been bigger ins size than most of the sedans south of 10 lacs.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

@tejas : I agree with your points. It's a limitation of our market scenario which we have no choice but to accept. Anyway, I'm looking forward to some TD's, then I'll get back to the thread.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:22   #38
BHPian
 
anilkalvani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bandra West, Bombay
Posts: 628
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

My reason for voting for the i10 (not because i own it too )

1. The ANHC AT costs 10.76 lacs on road Mumbai so it does not fall in the under 10 Lacs category.
2. Ditto for the Verna AT VGT which is 10.2L on road.
3. The i20 has not come out so i cannot pass any judgement. Plus the car is nearly a whole 4L more expensive than the i10 AT Base which i have bought.

So its a no brainer. The best under 10L is the i10 simply because its the *cheapest* 4-speed AT in the country today. Though the i10's FE is not good, i don't expect the i20 to work wonders on the FE front too.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:48   #39
BHPian
 
pachchu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
By Sunday, if all goes according to plan, I will have driven all four of the above. As of now I've driven only one i.e. the Verna A/T (most improbable one, you say?)

<snip>

I will vote on this thread once my TD's are done at the end of this week.
Have you been promised a TD of i20 automatic this weekend?

I've been calling all the 5 showrooms in Bangalore for i20 AT and they are non-committal on when the car will arrive for TD. On the contrary, they are committing to 6 weeks of delivery time if booked.
pachchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 22:18   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post
Have you been promised a TD of i20 automatic this weekend?
All except this one are confirmed. And there's a good chance the i20 will happen too. Car is being registered, it seems. Either ways, it's dealers headache to arrange for a TD for me. He has a sucker in me waiting for his 8L hatch.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 23:03   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Most people buying an automatic transmission option buy for ease of driving.
Chaotic city traffic, bumper to bumper snarls, endless waiting at traffic lights, are typical
scenarios where the AT excels.
You pay for this option with increased fuel bills and an upfront cost to the manufacturer.
You benefit with decreased driving stress, less toll on your knee joints and thigh muscles , better
road observation, increased road safety, decreased engine stress due to improper gearing.

So, my suggestion to all folks - buy the best AT within your budget that fulfils your needs.

In city driving, low speed torque is the requirement.
Torque moves the wheels in the frequent stop and go situations.
Small displacement engines are unable to provide this requirement and frequently consume a large amount of fuel doing so.
Check the engine charecteristics. For example, in the NHC the peak torque is at low 2500 rpm.
The NHC CVT AT is very drivable in city traffic.

So, please TD and check the specifications well before making a commitment.
KeepItSimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 00:24   #42
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGalore
Posts: 729
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Fiat 1100 Club, Bangalore

sad to know that Hyundai stoped Santro AT, which i feel was INDIA's first automatic car a reasonably good price too. also a great n easy to handle vehicle for ladies n older drivers
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 09:20   #43
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,152
Thanked: 2,456 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
They are in different segments so not completely comparable, in absolute numbers it may be likely i10.

I wonder why the Verna Diesel is only a 4 speed automatic. If Polo comes out with a 6 speed DSG that would take the cake!
Cheers,
Polo will not have a 6 speed DSG. It is too expensive to have a DSG in cars below Rs. 10L as a % of the cost of the Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
My reason for voting for the i10 (not because i own it too )

1. The ANHC AT costs 10.76 lacs on road Mumbai so it does not fall in the under 10 Lacs category.
2. Ditto for the Verna AT VGT which is 10.2L on road.
3. The i20 has not come out so i cannot pass any judgement. Plus the car is nearly a whole 4L more expensive than the i10 AT Base which i have bought.

So its a no brainer. The best under 10L is the i10 simply because its the *cheapest* 4-speed AT in the country today. Though the i10's FE is not good, i don't expect the i20 to work wonders on the FE front too.
Very valid points.

Let me add that Wagon R AX is available for about 4.5L ex Showroom

1) Cheapest Auto - Wagon R
2) Best Auto - Honda City
3) Best Value for Money auto - I10 Magna
4) Fastest Depreciating Auto - Verna Auto
5) Best Packaged Auto - I20 Auto

EPS is a matter of taste today, but in the real long run i guess all manufacturers will shift to purely EPS systems, which will get better.

Satro Auto is somehow quite low on mileage due it having less number of gears than the Manual. It also felt under powered inspite of the kickdown mode. The suspension felt bouncy. But yet a city go about it is the best option. The Honda Auto seems to be the most efficient. But is low on other features (comfort).

I20 Auto is well featured but again have not test driven it so cannot comment on the power delivery, nor are the effeciency reports out.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 23:12   #44
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

IMO, the best VFM in sub 10 lac category is hardly used NHC CVT.

No other car can beat it in the mileage.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 19:50   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,709
Thanked: 89,166 Times
Default

Undoubtedly the ANHC! Leaving aside the fact that I'd also vote for the City in a manual-tranny shootout, the ANHC has a 5 speed slushbox, useable paddleshifts and is big on power. The ANHC is the all rounder in the C segment, whether automatic or manual.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide Rajeevraj What Car? 136 7th December 2017 16:53
Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga) Rajeevraj What Car? 228 10th November 2017 12:20
Best rear seat under 6 Lakh adisag What Car? 32 2nd June 2010 12:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks