Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: which is better?
Ritz DDiS 65 20.50%
Punto MJD 252 79.50%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:33   #136
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Well thats true of any any car owner - they want all niggles fixed. If a niggle is manufacturing defect, how do you fix it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I too have noticed this trait among the Fiat owners, not just on TBHP but off it as well. The guy who owns a Fiat normally notices small defects and wants it rectified - not for him the "oh there is a little rattle coming from somewhere in the rear left but, it does not bother me".
Again true of most Car owners. But again, Fiat owners are also more accommodating
Quote:
This critical attitude from the Fiat owners - can we put it down to their being more demanding?
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:11   #137
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

(OT but relevent & pertinent to the last few posts here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Well thats true of any any car owner - they want all niggles fixed.

Again true of most Car owners.
Well, owners who have 2 different brands (or multiple cars/ brands) have something else to say on this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1357141-post130.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1346782-post384.html

ManMachine has 2 different brands which can be seen in his ownership thread (am not posting the link here as its totally OT here)
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:29   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
Ramsagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore-Nellore
Posts: 1,328
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

My vote goes to punto for it features it offers & Rear is far better than Ritz
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 15:12   #139
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Instances to prove otherwise can also be found on this forum. But thats not the point. My point is why attribute a trait common to most car owners to particular car brand owners and categorize them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Well, owners who have 2 different brands (or multiple cars/ brands) have something else to say on this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1357141-post130.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1346782-post384.html
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:00   #140
BHPian
 
ntrack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 111
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I too have noticed this trait among the Fiat owners, not just on TBHP but off it as well. The guy who owns a Fiat normally notices small defects and wants it rectified - not for him the "oh there is a little rattle coming from somewhere in the rear left but, it does not bother me".

This critical attitude from the Fiat owners - can we put it down to their being more demanding?

Cheers,
Exactly. Whenever I used to visit the Fiat service station & complain about small issues (important to me),the engineer used to answer back saying, "why do you worry about it? bindaas chalao, kuchh problem nahin hai!"
With my Swift or Zen or Santro, I would take small rattlings etc. as a part of the car & never bother too much. My Swift for eg. had niggling problems after barely 4 months of purchase.

This is because most of the Fiat owners are enthusiasts & want their car to be perfect, unlike majority of the janta who use a car as means of transportation only.
ntrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:55   #141
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,633
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I too have noticed this trait among the Fiat owners, not just on TBHP but off it as well. The guy who owns a Fiat normally notices small defects and wants it rectified - not for him the "oh there is a little rattle coming from somewhere in the rear left but, it does not bother me".

This critical attitude from the Fiat owners - can we put it down to their being more demanding?
This trait of 'problem finding' is not only applicable to just FIATians, but for all car owners who think that they have paid more than enough for their car. Such owners cannot adjust even a single small issue in their car.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2009 at 13:28. Reason: Lets not get personal here
romeomidhun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 22:07   #142
BHPian
 
NutsNBolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 796
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
This trait of 'problem finding' is not only applicable to just FIATians, but for all car owners who think that they have paid more than enough for their car. Such owners cannot adjust even a single small issue in their car.
This trait is found in anyone who has bought his car with his/her heart. Nothing like a cry baby attitude in this . If you love your things, you want them to be in good shape. Cars bought with the head, well, owner already knows where compromise has taken place. Just my opinion.

Voted for Punto, Obviously.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2009 at 13:28. Reason: Original quoted post has been edited
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 12:26   #143
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,633
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
This trait is found in anyone who has bought his car with his/her heart. Nothing like a cry baby attitude in this . If you love your things, you want them to be in good shape. Cars bought with the head, well, owner already knows where compromise has taken place...
You are also correct.

Buying a car with head is like arranged marriage, and buying a car with heart is like love marriage.

In arranged marriage, we'll analyse the +ves and -ves of the partner and then take a good decision. But in love marriage, we won't see the partner's -ves until marriage, but after that, all of those -ves will be noticed and that will create problems among them.

In the same way, for a person who buys car with heart, he will not notice the -ves of the car until he buys the car (marriage), but after that, he starts noticing all those problems and starts complaining.

I love many, but didn't (and won't) marry any of them. Went for an arranged marriage, and am living happily.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th July 2009 at 12:32.
romeomidhun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 13:12   #144
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

OT-Well, continuing the discussion from last 3-4 posts, there is another School of thought :

There is something called "Post-Purchase Dissonance" (a Marketing jargon) which a customer tends to avoid generally. This assumes greater importance when he has paid a premium for intangibles - Brand, Badge, Status, Reliability, Quality etc. Its here that he tends to ignore small small issues justifying himself on his choice. Another point is he may not be comfortable to mention small small issues against the towering reputation of the MFR.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 14:14   #145
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

"
I love many, but didn't (and won't) marry any of them. Went for an arranged marriage, and am living happily.
"


Thats the post of the century !
But i still feel if thats the analogy used in context of a car , many of us happily married ones may not want to settle for monogamy.

About Fiat i feel personally ( having owned 3 cars from Fiat, 2 from Tata , 1 from maruti ) is like a genius who fails to score well in exams after having more in your head but does not put in on paper.
In other ways , the fiat could be the topper who excelled at acdemics and failed to translate its success in real world where maruti with its superior application skills, administration and perseverence and with its eye for economy rose to pinnacle of success. ( And a point to note here is that it did so well only in India in this manner or did it at other countries as well ?)
Fiat india's main problem and the principle reasons for fiat's failure has been the high spare parts cost and availability and poor after sale service If that was addressed earlier than so late in the day, even the palio would have done much better than it did , same for petra & sienna.
The positives still outweigh the negatives for fiat. And they slowly come out of the mess and shed the white elephant tag with their 2 new thoroughbreds - pUNTO & LINEA.
My fiat uno diesel even after 1.39 lakh of kms on the odo would outrun most petrol cars off the block and was way more fuel effecient in the city than my NA Indica which was so sluggish even autos and BEST drivers could 'dabao ' my car on sheer pickup.
TO ITS CREDIT ,Maruti on the other hand is a jack of all trades and master of economy, so it does just about everything right without excelling at anything IMHO. Add to that the central govt. patronage for so long in our pseudo socialist country. ( Remember Volga in russia ? )
does anyone have a clue about sale of passenger cars comparison between suzuki and fiat & Hyundai all over the globe?
There may be an answer in those numbers....

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 27th July 2009 at 14:25.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 14:53   #146
BHPian
 
ntrack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 111
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
"

Thats the post of the century !
But i still feel if thats the analogy used in context of a car , many of us happily married ones may not want to settle for monogamy.

About Fiat i feel personally ( having owned 3 cars from Fiat, 2 from Tata , 1 from maruti ) is like a genius who fails to score well in exams after having more in your head but does not put in on paper.
In other ways , the fiat could be the topper who excelled at acdemics and failed to translate its success in real world where maruti with its superior application skills, administration and perseverence and with its eye for economy rose to pinnacle of success. ( And a point to note here is that it did so well only in India in this manner or did it at other countries as well ?)
Fiat india's main problem and the principle reasons for fiat's failure has been the high spare parts cost and availability and poor after sale service If that was addressed earlier than so late in the day, even the palio would have done much better than it did , same for petra & sienna.
The positives still outweigh the negatives for fiat. And they slowly come out of the mess and shed the white elephant tag with their 2 new thoroughbreds - pUNTO & LINEA.
My fiat uno diesel even after 1.39 lakh of kms on the odo would outrun most petrol cars off the block and was way more fuel effecient in the city than my NA Indica which was so sluggish even autos and BEST drivers could 'dabao ' my car on sheer pickup.
TO ITS CREDIT ,Maruti on the other hand is a jack of all trades and master of economy, so it does just about everything right without excelling at anything IMHO. Add to that the central govt. patronage for so long in our pseudo socialist country. ( Remember Volga in russia ? )
does anyone have a clue about sale of passenger cars comparison between suzuki and fiat & Hyundai all over the globe?
There may be an answer in those numbers....
Good one Highnoon! I remember reading a similar thought about Fiat in TopGear (Linea road test).

I was never a Fiat fan until drove the Uno diesel in 1998, I went on to own one (after almost buying an Indica) & then followed it with the Palio S10. I never get the same overall feel in any other car like the Uno & Palio. IMO, Uno was the best family hatch in the country - very versatile, comfortable, fuel efficient & tough.

90% of the Fiat owners I know, just drool over their possessions & seldom would like to settle for any other make (especially the Japs & Koreans)
ntrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 17:08   #147
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: back in gods own country :)
Posts: 118
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

May i know why is it that the Fiat is having a larger than life image in india?? or is it only team-bhp

why do guys over here compare the ritz and punto? just because they have the same engine?

even feature wise the punto outwits the Ritz. and is more costlier and is more xpensive to maintain and to buy also? then why this comparison which is better?

for a buyer who wants a good hatch ( with better build quality ) and has a budget will definitely go for the Punto. ( a second clause such as A.S.S brand image etc plays a role too those buyers who give higher weightage to this clause will keep away from punto!)

it depends from buyer to buyer.

just a car alone doesnt make a CAR the brand also plays a vital role.
Ritz is more cheap to buy, own and is more practical for city with the best resale value and A.S.S and hence is selling in huge numbers and as far as the PUBLIC ( team-bhp is representing only a part of the car buying public and is not the public!!) is concerned the Ritz is the better car PERIOD!!

i just dont know whats the big deal with Fiat in india. They are seen as THE BRAND as per the forum!!!

Each brand has its own Pros and Cons. its just a question which Brand has more pros than the cons.

yup voted for the truth the Ritz
Thomas8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 22:42   #148
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 485
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

[quote=Thomas8700;1403670]May i know why is it that the Fiat is having a larger than life image in india?? or is it only team-bhp
Hi,
As far as my knowledge is concerned Fiat has a poor brand image in India contrary to your perception.
On the forum also i feel fiat gets lot of bashing and gets dragged in every other unrelated thread just to score a point .
The Ritz LDI retails for Rs.5.21 lacs for pune reg. on road and is a bare bone base model and the Grande Punto base model ( 1.3 active )costs Rs.5.4x lacs OTR pune. Needless to say GP has more features etc. power windows, tacho , steering adj., immobilizer etc. Is a far better package and need anyone elaborate how it scores over the Ritz as far as design and space is concerned. Its a genuine 5 seater against a compact 4 seater which is Ritz. So its not really more expensive than the Suzuki one. Its definitely safer, better car built to last and probly with far better ride quality and handling than the pseudo tall boy from suzuki.
Unfortunately Ritz 'll outsell Grande Punto and suzuki 'll continue to sell low spec , compact 4 seater hatches ( lousy looking IMHO ) for a high sticker in high volumes and have waiting periods too no matter what anybody thinks.i.e. the Zen estilo is not doing to bad either.
Indian market is such---- ( laminate is still called sunmica and formica and toothpaste is still colgate....)
Folks like me who have burnt their fingers with Fiat and are apalled by the stuff dished out by Suzuki , shall have to look towards Tata and Hyundai who happen to be exactly midway in both form and content between the italian and jap carmaker.
Atleast they do make genuine 5 seaters hatches unlike the pretender .

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 27th July 2009 at 22:43.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 23:35   #149
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 536 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi airwind,
If u have to dispose in 3/4 years , take a maruti product as resale 'll be higher and the you wont get frustrated to live with body rattle , door rattle , trims rattle , glass rattle that maruti & tata cars have.

going with my experience with marutis - Bought swift ZXI petrol in 2006 July. 2007 december wanted to exchange it for sx4. was offered a measly 3.75 lakhs by true value. sold the car at 4.5 lakhs!

Bought the Black Sx4 ZXI in jan 2008 for 8.33 lakhs OTR. wanted to exchange it for a white SX4 in April 2009 since Black was harder to maintain scratch free. was offered 5.10 by true Value. !!! speaking of Higher resale for marutis!!!
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 23:44   #150
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 536 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
+1 to that! Though they continue to churn out good vehicles, the quality of their design department's output has gone south. IMHO, in the recent past, the SX4 was the last "looker" that came out of the MSIL stables, while the list of recent eye sores has Estilo, A Star, DZire, Ritz in it. Yes, I know looks are subjective, but I'm sure if a poll is conducted ONLY about the looks of a car, the 4 mentioned above wouldn't figure even in the top 10.

Cheers,
Vikram

i beg to differ! SX4 came out of fiat stables! The Fiat Sedici is a mini sport utility vehicle co-developed by Fiat and Suzuki mainly for the European market. It was introduced at the 2006 Geneva Motor Show, and is built at the Magyar Suzuki plant in Hungary. The expected production volume is 60,000 units per year, 1/3 to be sold by Fiat and 2/3 by Suzuki, badged as the SX4. Design was handled by Giorgetto Giugiaro's Italdesign studio, and it is an alternative to mini multi-purpose vehicles (MPV), which have a more "boxy" appearance.

now you know where the eurpean design cues of this Jap come from!
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Grande Punto : 1.3 Multijet : Emotion Pack : 4000 km report amoghchaphalkar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 460 23rd November 2011 10:33
Petrol Hatch Match: Fiat Punto vs Hyundai I20 vs Suzuki Ritz neotraveller The Indian Car Scene 106 31st December 2009 15:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks