Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd July 2009, 16:01   #46
BHPian

Just like the Land Cruiser, the Land Rover Defender, which is the *real* LR needs to be added to the list. It might not have been commonly sold in India in recent decades, but there are 40-50 year old Land Rovers that still ply in tough terrain like Darjeeling.

Any tourist who has trusted their life to the LR over some of the most treacherous roads in the world can vouch for their character.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Where Land Rovers never die

Businessworld - Rover Roars

Quote:
According to David McCormick of the Northern Ireland Land Rover Club, and Steven Bowman of Legion Land Rover Columbia, these Land Rovers could easily fetch in the excess of $40,000 (Rs 16 lakh) in today’s international markets.
When asked if he would sell his Rover for a neat sum, Puran Thami is steadfast. “A Land Rover is priceless. It is like our body part. Selling it would be like chopping off one’s arm. It simply can’t be done.”
If that is not character, nothing is. :-)

Last edited by chncar : 23rd July 2009 at 16:02.
chncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

I agree about the Defender, just not sure about the sale in India part. But there is not a doubt about it oozing character. God, it is more character than I could handle, the one time I drove an old one in Bangalore traffic! Isn't that to do with the design that is very focussed, and will not allow any compromises to be made to serve other segments, at the cost of the one segment it is focused on? Exactly what the Defender purists saw as a sell out in the case of the RR.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:37   #48
BHPian

Thats funny, when I was walking to work today morning, I was looking at various cars and one car caught my eye and I thought 'boy, this car has some character'

Then this post happened. quite a coincidence.
Character of a car is hard to judge. Its some peculiar quality of a car which attracts you. You can't really point a finger to it, because character is more to do with heart, than mind.

PS: that car was Mustang.
greatpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 02:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

My overwhelming choice is the Land Rover Defender. Nothing compares to it.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:37   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can comments be restricted to those cars that are sold in India please?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 21:39   #51
BHPian

Yes, In my humble view, in Indian context( when limiting to cars in production) the 1st place goes to the good old Ambassador.Why? For answer, look at an ambassador parked among any modern cars!Then for musles look at a Mahindra Major.No Pajero, LC or Scorpio can match that simple but grave and devil may care stance.
Ashley Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 19:23   #52
BHPian

Every brand and its every car line has some character (characteristics), i wrote a blog post on it long time back.

Some individual cars have character in terms of way it is maintained or the accessories are on it. Every car has its history and with time it becomes its own person..
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 23:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Every brand and its every car line has some character (characteristics), i wrote a blog post on it long time back.

Some individual cars have character in terms of way it is maintained or the accessories are on it. Every car has its history and with time it becomes its own person..
Dude I do not agree totally with your view that was posted in the blog. I still have my first 800 and will keep it till the end of time. I have learnt many things opening it up. I feel its our very own VW Bug. that put Indian on wheels. Previously indian car scene was oppressed by Hindustan and PAL. people used to pay advance and wait for months for the delivery.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 17:45   #54
BHPian

My Personal Favourite - RR Phantoms

From generations to generations character is carried forward from what's better done in the past and what's best to do to innovate now. Character is in the genes of this car.

Every car lover has some favourite car other than the one he/she owns, this flavours into what he/she is looking as a "characteristic" in the one he/she loves.

"Characteristics" is more like an element in a car that changes with the tide of time. Editing Oscar Wilde, "Ordinary characteristics gives the world its existence, the extraordinary characteristics gives it it's value"

Likewise, may it be any Phantom from any era I'd like to have one, someday
inreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 11:40   #55
BHPian

For me a car has Character if you drive it (Or just Look at it) and remember it for a long time (Good way).
Let it be Japanese, German or Italian or for that matter Indian Made.
I think the Ambi has a real character, even in these times I find it very attractive.
Going OT but for that matter The age old Bullet is also full of character.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 15:47   #56
BHPian

I feel that perhaps a car and its owner are made for each other as in the person who buys the car has some similarities to the "character" of the car. If its a big expensive car then the person can afford it and is also very generous in pampering himself. If its an expensive sports car then the person is a speedster his age has nothing to do with this. He might be 50+ but loves to drive fast and quickly. On the other hand if its an expensive car like the Rolls Royce , the owner has an aura about him and lots of attitude and showing off or perhaps a deep sense of maturity.
At the other extreme people who buy a M800 or a Nano are buying not the most quickest or the most luxurious but something practical. Perhaps they are very practical minded and sometimes such people though they can afford a bigger purchase buy something small as their nature is to be practical and smart.....just my 2 cents
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 00:47   #57
BHPian

So character seems to be boiling down to something worth remembering about the car. So, arguing in the same vein, most examples seem to be pointing to machines that did a few things exceedingly well and other things rather badly. Examples that did all things well enough never figured in the list.

The mentality is to remember distinctness which by the way is true in general life too.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 06:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
So, arguing in the same vein, most examples seem to be pointing to machines that did a few things exceedingly well and other things rather badly. Examples that did all things well enough never figured in the list.

The mentality is to remember distinctness which by the way is true in general life too.
. As I have pointed out in an earlier post, cars that try to meet the needs of too many different kinds of users tend to become compromises with all quirks squeezed out of them. But many times, a quirk is the flip side of the coin of doing something else really well. The car then doesn't do anything really well, but does everything to a reasonable degree. Ending up just becoming another faceless commuter that does not stay in your mind as anything other than that. Jack of all trades ends up as master of none, and it is that mastery of one trade that usually builds character. In cars as well as people.
I would add the Matiz to the list of Indian cars with character. I now have a Spark, that is the car I wanted as a city runabout, but the Matiz character has been squeezed out of it to a large extent. By a process called development, which tends to do that to all cars, even expensive ones such as the Porsche 911 turbo! The Matiz with the three pot had some issues, but people that had bought the cars were in love with it all the same.
Old 12th August 2009, 07:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

My point in starting this thread was to see if this thought is validated by other views. Far too often, character is used as a euphemism for unreliability and niggles in product and service. For cars made and sold even in India in 2009, this is no longer an acceptable situation. If it exists in this day and age, it is not a design issue, but a management failure. Character in cars, as properly defined, has to arise because of the design philosophy of the car, not in the way it is made, sold or serviced.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

@Sawyer: Your intention was perfect but the thread does not reflect what you must have desired.

The topic is too much subjective and thus a bit of chaos.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote