Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:51   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,367
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Strike @ Hyundai India

Just seeing a ticker on CNBC -

900 Hyundai staff on strike from tonight - management's deal with Hyundai Welfare comm is the reason.

Any idea guys - what's happening?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:03   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default

Sorry to say but I have never liked Korean style of Working which Hyundai has tried to employ here. Many friends have quit Koren companies because of their management style. Hyundai too does it. Its bad for the customer and the company per se but what would the employees do if they are not getting basic welfare rights.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:58   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,710
Thanked: 8,930 Times
Default

Bad news for those waiting for their already booked cars,and a good excuse for Dealerships for delayed deliveries
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 00:37   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian
 
aZa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Noida / Delhi
Posts: 1,595
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Hope they launch a GETZ cRDI SX a fully loaded model hehe


jokes apart ! korean way of working is on the harsher side, one of my friends was working with HYUNDAI and now has shifted to HONDA. All he has is bad things to say about hyundai mgt
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 00:54   #5
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Sorry to say but I have never liked Korean style of Working which Hyundai has tried to employ here. Many friends have quit Koren companies because of their management style. Hyundai too does it. Its bad for the customer and the company per se but what would the employees do if they are not getting basic welfare rights.
Can we know, what korean style of working means??
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 01:49   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC/MAA
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

In these times of recession , folks must be glad they have jobs and find a compromise instead of striking and causing disruption.I guess things in India roll to a different drumbeat!.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 07:36   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ajmer / Mumbai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

India has not truly been a part of the recession, as seen in the western countries. We still have sufficient opportunities and jobs.

WHAT is meant by the Korean style of working??
alankarm@sancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 07:50   #8
BHPian
 
aerohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: India
Posts: 882
Thanked: 581 Times
Default

Last I heard Indian grown rate was between 6-7%

There is no recession here (unless you are working in outsourcing industry).
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 07:51   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,501
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankarm@sancha View Post
India has not truly been a part of the recession, as seen in the western countries. We still have sufficient opportunities and jobs.

WHAT is meant by the Korean style of working??
Disciplined? Alien to Indians, that trait. Though Koreans are over the top in this, and it is almost army conditions, the way they work. To their credit, this is how they work themselves too, in Korea as well. So it is not discriminatory, as far as I know.
Toyota too has had its share of strikes and management level departures in India. The problem with the Japanese tends to be that while they are able to do very well via consensus building in Japan, this is because they see all Japanese as one community. They look down on anyone that is non Japanese. They respect the Americans, because the Americans once bombed them back to the stone age, but other than that, they don't think much of them either. Indians, they are close to despising, being as racist as we are. So they do not think it is worth their time to do genuine consensus building in their Japanese - Indian mix teams, that effort tends to leave the Indians out of the picture, and that creates the usual issues later.
Another little nugget about Hyundai India - if you go to visit their plant as a supplier, and come in a non Hyundai car, you have to leave the car at the gate, and walk to wherever you want to go in the large campus. The thing to do is to hire a taxi which is also a Hyundai, if you want to avoid this treatment.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 08:39   #10
BHPian
 
Takumi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 364
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I agree about the 'Japs' Sawyer, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

slightly OT, didnt Hyundai India just have a strike a few months ago (albeit due to another reason which I cant remember?). As I recall, they had decided then to shift some production to other hubs and not depend on India so much. I dont know who is right or wrong here, but this cant help the business sentiment when we are trying to encourage foreign investments.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 08:43   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,501
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default

Yes, Hyundai had said that, but it must have been bluster. But if these things continue, they may do a genuine rethink.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 09:13   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Sorry to say but I have never liked Korean style of Working which Hyundai has tried to employ here. Many friends have quit Koren companies because of their management style. Hyundai too does it. Its bad for the customer and the company per se but what would the employees do if they are not getting basic welfare rights.
Guess you are being too critical here - aren't you Sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Can we know, what korean style of working means??
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
In these times of recession , folks must be glad they have jobs and find a compromise instead of striking and causing disruption.I guess things in India roll to a different drumbeat!.
Yup Nick, folks must be glad they have a job instead of other things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankarm@sancha View Post
India has not truly been a part of the recession, as seen in the western countries. We still have sufficient opportunities and jobs.

WHAT is meant by the Korean style of working??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Last I heard Indian grown rate was between 6-7%

There is no recession here (unless you are working in outsourcing industry).
Sir, we did have recession - atleast in the Auto Industry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Disciplined? Alien to Indians, that trait. Though Koreans are over the top in this, and it is almost army conditions, the way they work. To their credit, this is how they work themselves too, in Korea as well. So it is not discriminatory, as far as I know.
...

Another little nugget about Hyundai India - if you go to visit their plant as a supplier, and come in a non Hyundai car, you have to leave the car at the gate, and walk to wherever you want to go in the large campus. The thing to do is to hire a taxi which is also a Hyundai, if you want to avoid this treatment.
Sir, I agree with what you say about the discipline part - but the non hyundai car bit is not true! I have been inside in one to tell you that!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 09:17   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,501
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
but the non hyundai car bit is not true! I have been inside in one to tell you that!
It was very much in force till the last time I was there, don't remember the exact year, but the Getz was about to be launched, I remember seeing my first Getz inside the plant. Someone must have seen them see reason later, or maybe a change of leadership did that.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 11:20   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,265
Thanked: 568 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Disciplined? Alien to Indians, that trait. Though Koreans are over the top in this, and it is almost army conditions, the way they work. To their credit, this is how they work themselves too, in Korea as well. So it is not discriminatory, as far as I know.
Toyota too has had its share of strikes and management level departures in India. The problem with the Japanese tends to be that while they are able to do very well via consensus building in Japan, this is because they see all Japanese as one community. They look down on anyone that is non Japanese. They respect the Americans, because the Americans once bombed them back to the stone age, but other than that, they don't think much of them either. Indians, they are close to despising, being as racist as we are. So they do not think it is worth their time to do genuine consensus building in their Japanese - Indian mix teams, that effort tends to leave the Indians out of the picture, and that creates the usual issues later.
Another little nugget about Hyundai India - if you go to visit their plant as a supplier, and come in a non Hyundai car, you have to leave the car at the gate, and walk to wherever you want to go in the large campus. The thing to do is to hire a taxi which is also a Hyundai, if you want to avoid this treatment.
How about pay scale of employees in korea and japan, i bet that is also alien to indians
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:28   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,501
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
How about pay scale of employees in korea and japan, i bet that is also alien to indians
Yes, and just as alien the cost of living over there is to us, as those of who us travel there know to our discomfort. Also, CEOs there are also paid a lot lot more than CEOs here, but I don't hear any Indian CEO say that he is therefore going to work less effectively. Or if he did, I don't think he will remain CEO for long.
I therefore do not see any point in this statement that many of us are fond of making.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti workers to go on strike (again!!) Hunger strike this time nettooran The Indian Car Scene 25 9th November 2012 10:40
Deep Penetration Strike!!into The Very Heart Of Incredible India pravdr Travelogues 64 10th August 2011 23:17
General Motors (India) Workers Strike at Halol Plant wildon The Indian Car Scene 14 27th July 2011 17:41
Indefinite All India Petrol Pump Strike : 20 Sep 2010. EDIT: Cancelled for now. swiftnfurious The Indian Car Scene 74 18th September 2010 19:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks