Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th July 2009, 21:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

wow! i am surprised to know that west Bengal is the first state to implement the HSPs. strangely 1 out 10000 vehicles bear the HSPs in Kolkata. coming to two-wheelers i haven't come across a single two-wheeler with HSPs.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 22:27   #32
BHPian

honestly, I haven't seen a single vehicle (AFAIR), two or four wheeler (WB registered) bearing HSRP's in Kolkata.
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 23:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
honestly, I haven't seen a single vehicle (AFAIR), two or four wheeler (WB registered) bearing HSRP's in Kolkata.

Same here. I think its still in the papers. Or maybe RTO is selling the same old number plates which the road side shops near RTO sells. Maybe thats why its cheap

I just got my renewed licence from the Alipur RTO. They claim its a Smart card, but has no smart card embedded (unlike the one issued from the Beltala RTO). I guess the card is smart enough to fool people. Maybe they have realised Smart card, issued by Kolkata RTO is of no use. You have to bribe the cop and hence all these Hi-Tech devices are never used. Alipur RTO is making the process cost effective that way, though charging extra for the so called Smart cards. Indeed they are smart.

I don't blame the system. We are part of the system itself. We don't do anything to change it, but crib in this forum or during our regular meets. Lets join hands and file a PIL. What say guys? How many hands will come up?
vrooooooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 00:49   #34
BHPian

As on date I havent seen a single high security registration plate here in Kolkata. Infact this is a news that West Bengal is the first and cheapest. And as of smart cards @Pushpak I guess you are right
me_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 08:07   #35
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
As on date I havent seen a single high security registration plate here in Kolkata. Infact this is a news that West Bengal is the first and cheapest.

That is strange. I see a number of vehicles with those plates here in Siliguri. Going find out how much they cost today and update.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 10:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

@ John - i have been to the Motor Vehicles Department recently - all the new cars that came there for registration have the typical patta-type registration plates.

Our Getz is 1.5 months old and it came with these plates:

Biggest Scam of the year ? Karnataka HSR Plate golmaal!!-dsc00688.jpg

no one at the Motor Vehicles Department ever complained. i guess they don't even know about the rule (if there is any) the accessories stores have the HSR Plates which they retail for about 550/- IIRC - but for show only.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 30th July 2009 at 10:57.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

West Bengal HSR Plate? where? 3 weeks back a colleague got a Kolkata registered car, its got regular plates.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 11:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
I don't know about WB but my parents paid about 1700 for the HSR plates in Meghalaya for their Spark about 4 months back. It is mandatory in Assam and Meghalaya now.
i think you are right - all the Jharkhand (been to Ranchi two months back and found 90% vehicles have HSR Plates) / Assam / Meghalaya / Tripura / Arunachal Pr. Vehicles i have come across in Kolkata have HSR Plates

@ John/Johy - does the same rule apply in North Bengal(Malda, Siliguri, Behrampur)??

Last edited by planet_rocker : 30th July 2009 at 11:23.
Old 30th July 2009, 12:15   #39
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post

@ John/Johy - does the same rule apply in North Bengal(Malda, Siliguri, Behrampur)??
Not compulsory here. But I see a lot of the vehicles have changed to hi-security plates. Almost all new ones and even the old ones are switching over. Costs 900 to 1000 here.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 12:25   #40
BHPian

The price of such number plates in Bangalore is not 1200 as claimed by news paper. The shop in Jayanagar offered at 900 (Including his profits). So not sure how much truth is there in this allegation, especially when it comes from Revanna and Deve gowdas
dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 12:42   #41
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
The price of such number plates in Bangalore is not 1200 as claimed by news paper. The shop in Jayanagar offered at 900 (Including his profits).
I'm not certain if these plates are "genuine", as there is another dealer on the old airport road that sells them for Rs. 850. I didn't get the plates fitted till I hear that an official nod has been given by the govt.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 14:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Now if these plates are available at accessory shops, what "high security" aspect of it remains?

It can only be High Security, if it is issued in a tamperproof manner by the authorities. The should also have non-replicable features that only the authorities can provide.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 15:19   #43
BHPian

I am just wondering what security feature it has been added to this kind of No Plates. Will it make your car anti-theft kind of thing ?
As I know here car get stolen and in 24 hrs every thing get changes. Or some time it goes to Nepal. Will this feature will be stopped
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 15:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

i stand corrected - when i said that the HSRPs are available at the accessories store i meant the replica ones.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 30th July 2009 at 15:35.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:01   #45
BHPian

I am not going ahead and getting my vehicles have changed to hi-security plates as it is not compulsory here.
I will wait till the matter is enforced properly in the State. Till then relax . Any ways we are not gaining much with it ,more- so it's a drain on all vehicle owners’ pockets.

One thing is for sure is that the license plate manufactures will have a gala time for years to come.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote