Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th August 2009, 10:18   #16
BHPian

Why is this in the Indian car scene? Unless Sid has some inside info about it's launch in India, it should really belong in the international automotive segment.

Anyway I too don't think it's suitable for India. The 1.2 Kappa would have far better power delivery characteristics than this turbo engine.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 10:59   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Why is this in the Indian car scene? Unless Sid has some inside info about it's launch in India, it should really belong in the international automotive segment.

Anyway I too don't think it's suitable for India. The 1.2 Kappa would have far better power delivery characteristics than this turbo engine.
exactly, i dont think this engine would come to indian market ever, mainly for european markets only.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 21:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post

+1, 90bhp is all very well but what about the Torque man? Don't see much of it coming from a puny 800cc job
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 10:16   #19
BHPian

This launch maybe for the international market - would be pricey for India.

Maybe they will introduce a normal 800cc engine either in the Santro or i10.
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 11:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be a mean hatch with the amt of power delivery.
However, Hyundai spoils the sports. WATCH the price.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 11:58   #21
BHPian

Over time and volume, the cost should come down and then it might make way into India, at a lower price point. They definitely CAN sell this .8 engine below 1.2 kappa prices.
CoolFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 14:13   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Over time and volume, the cost should come down and then it might make way into India, at a lower price point. They definitely CAN sell this .8 engine below 1.2 kappa prices.
i dont think so, either it would take away market from their own house production of current i10 or santro.So mostly we dont see i10 coming with 800cc engine, rather they should comeout with all new hatch for this small engine to compete with maruti 800 and alto.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 13:36   #23
BHPian

90 hp from a 3 pot engine on gas? great! but will it be stressed out like the a-star engine.? the vibrations at high speeds will have to be delt with and that will increase the cost. can anyone comment on the quality of natural gas available in India?
rajathv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 13:53   #24
BHPian

90 bhp from 800cc engine is quite a good specific output, right there with VW engines .
great job for hyundai then.
onle problem seems to be on what kind of fuel it gives this much power ? is it 97 octain fuel or the regular 87< less octain we have it here . i think they have to detune it for here.
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 07:55   #25
BHPian

Sid, nice scoop.

Great engine, yes with the power output it claims and the high state of tune I don think the Indian fuel will be compatible.

But being Hyundai, we cant say anything. Because they have always treated Indian market with latest technology and products and moreover same as the international market.
backrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 11:20   #26
BHPian

Wow !!
Dear Hyundai India, please launch this power pack enveloped in anything you wish. fuel quality and issues are our headech, so don't bother it.
for you this is a chance to pull customers for whom, H is for only HONDA.
and also you can pioneer the so called Hot Hatch Segment in India.
If at all you are waiting for VW to launch their 1.2Tsi, it will be too late.
it might be a opportunity lost.

Note : It does'nt mind what's the ELF ( Engine Life Factor )

Last edited by ganesh_evo75 : 12th December 2009 at 11:22.
ganesh_evo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 13:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh_evo75 View Post
Wow !!
Dear Hyundai India, please launch this power pack enveloped in anything you wish. fuel quality and issues are our headech, so don't bother it.
for you this is a chance to pull customers for whom, H is for only HONDA.
and also you can pioneer the so called Hot Hatch Segment in India.
If at all you are waiting for VW to launch their 1.2Tsi, it will be too late.
it might be a opportunity lost.

Note : It does'nt mind what's the ELF ( Engine Life Factor )
one point i didnt understand , why anybody from hyundai will put an engine with low ELF in a car at the first place ? they should have thought over that long way back as they are a volume baised manufacturer!
quattroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 14:19   #28
Team-BHP Support

I think Hyundai should bother launching a small capacity Diesel rather trying their hands on this turbo charged petrol.

I think while i10 is a great commuter but its dynamics wont support it as good hot hatch. Hot hatch is not just about power.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 13:42   #29
Team-BHP Support

Is this really coming? Never heard about it after this discussion. 3-Pot and 90bhp is a bit extreme for a light car like i10.

Kudos to Hyundai i10, they have crossed the sales figures of Wagon R and are sitting pretty in 2nd position of largest selling cars.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 13:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is this really coming? Never heard about it after this discussion. 3-Pot and 90bhp is a bit extreme for a light car like i10.

Kudos to Hyundai i10, they have crossed the sales figures of Wagon R and are sitting pretty in 2nd position of largest selling cars.
It may not hit the market but just to think of it, if we turbocharge your i10 Kappa, I'm sure it will beat the your pete'd viva hands down. What sya? wanna try the project
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote