Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th August 2009, 07:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinivasap View Post

Stupendous sucess of Hyundai/Maruti is not only because they make some good cars - It is because they make some average cars but wth assured good post sales service.
I agree with the first part, that you have then gone on to contradict by calling them average. I think they make cars that are as good as anyone else in India does at their price points. I would agree that their cars are not better, but the total package is, by far, and that is what has kept them ahead till now. And getting that together is more about management/culture than engineering/technology.
Unless of course, as good as anyone else = average. Technically, you are correct!
Old 16th August 2009, 07:16   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I agree with the first part, that you have then gone on to contradict by calling them average. I think they make cars that are as good as anyone else in India. I would agree that their cars are not better, but the total package is, by far, and that is what has kept them ahead till now. , as good as anyone else = average. Technically, you are correct!
I agree with the second part, that you have already agreed to contradict by defining , as good as anyone else = average.
What else could it mean ?

cheers
Old 16th August 2009, 07:24   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
I agree with the second part, that you have already agreed to contradict by defining , as good as anyone else = average.
What else could it mean ?

cheers
it could mean what it did to me on reading the way it was put - that the cars are not that good, with the word average not being used for its dictionary meaning! Few people use that word that way to be honest. How would you react if your boss appraised your performance as average?
Old 16th August 2009, 07:53   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Few people use that word that way to be honest. How would you react if your boss appraised your performance as average?
I would rate my performance i.e average = as good as anyone else. Right

cheers
Old 16th August 2009, 10:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I am wondering if there were any Jaguar XF sales!
I think ACI reported that Jaguar is selling an average of 1 car everyday.

As for the topic of dealers of various car manufacturer's, the way I do it is if I like a car, I buy it unless the dealer is going to behave like the way one dealer behaved with Sunilrj.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:45   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
+1 to that from my side too.

precisely due to above reasons we opted for hyundai santro rather than a swift. also budget played an important role too. my dad felt, even after willing to spend 1 lakh rupees more than our budget, we weren't feeling very enthusiastic may be because of following reasons.

reasons: don't care a damn attitude at 2 maruti showrooms(kiran motors and amar cars). not too good service experience(of 800, though had 1 dealer at that time), very unenthusiatic staff(technically as well as behavior wise) at both the showrooms. hyundai's showroom was the opposite. very enthusiatic staff, they showed decent respect being customers which lacked in case of maruti's showroom. they were eager to explain anything to everything we asked, not once did they forced us to take a look at other car say getz. while at maruti, the sales person tried to sell wagon r, estilo even though we told them specifically about swift only.

also we were exchanging for 800, so we expected better deal from maruti, instead we ended up getting far better resale value at hyundai.

we were given discounts on both the cars. around 40k rupees on petrol swift and around 35k rupees on santro. after this discount we had to pay a difference of 1 lakh rupees. add to this the difference in resale value of 800 which was 15k rupees. so i can say we got 50k discount for santro.

Good product + assured service(doubtful in maruti's case here) + good resale value, was a given in both the cars. but dad decide to go for santro just because of above factors and he didn't like spending a lakh more for the shabby treatment we got at maruti's showroom and later on we would have faced same issues with a.s.s too.

in this case maruti's loss was hyundai's gain.

and its been 3 years and we have been getting exceptional a.s.s from hyundai and need i say we are a satisfied lot?

ps: we have good rappo with service manager at hyundai and the manger of showroom is an acquaintance of my dad. so may be that plays a big role in getting good service.

and sorry for the long post.
well thats what got hyundai to this far extent with maruti, with mainly reasons is their superb ***, dealerships, prompt actions and enthusiastic employees which on the other hand maruti's biggest drawback is their WE DONT CARE attitude by dealers across nation with more or less being same, have made quite buyers shift from maruti to hyundai, not because they didnt liked maruti products but that attitude which maruti dealers shows is what not acceptable.
On the contrary hyundai started gaining momentum by giving good products, bit more pricey then maruti in some cases but dealership experience and *** always made 1st owners go back to them, i am not a maruti hater or hyundai fan, just am saying from fellow friends experience.
Old 17th August 2009, 13:49   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
OT: Stay away from Kulathunkal Motors TVM. I had a bad experience with their service center. They are liars and do not know their job. In my car, they changed unrelated parts, made me pay the bill, and kept me waiting for at least an hour, saying that the car is being washed. And this was on the fifth day after I gave them the car. I barged into the service area to see the car still on the ramp, the mechanics still working on it. I asked them to put the car down down, and drove out. The owner called me while I was driving, apologised, and asked me to bring the car back. I never did.

I will never take any car to Kulathunkal again, but they alone cannot stop me from buying another FIAT.
Heard very bad opinions about Kulathunkal. They took in the palio of one of my friends, said that they are doing some engine work, kept the car for 1 month and finally charged 70K Rs. Best part is that the issue in the car is not yet resolved. TRV fiat lovers seem to be out of options now, other than expert workshops around.
Old 17th August 2009, 19:04   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
reasons: don't care a damn attitude at 2 maruti showrooms(kiran motors and amar cars). not too good service experience(of 800, though had 1 dealer at that time), very unenthusiatic staff(technically as well as behavior wise) at both the showrooms. hyundai's showroom was the opposite. very enthusiatic staff, they showed decent respect being customers which lacked in case of maruti's showroom. they were eager to explain anything to everything we asked, not once did they forced us to take a look at other car say getz. while at maruti, the sales person tried to sell wagon r, estilo even though we told them specifically about swift only.
My experience in Mumbai is completely opposite. In Feb/Mar, I visited Hyundai, Tata-Fiat, Honda & Maruti Dealers for C Segment car. The most pathetic response was from Hundai Motor Plaza (HMP). Every other Dealer followed up relentlessly till I made a decision. Not HMP. When I went there to TD Verna & also enquired about i20. The sales guy insisted & kept on trying to sell Accent. No wonder TD was not given, citing too late in the evening & closing time (6.30 pm) & he'll call back. He never called back. I called & went there & this time in afternoon. Sales guy was so busy with a customer, he arranged for someone else to arrange TD of Verna (no issues in that except that this "someone else" did not know even 1 thing about the car). As expected, Hyundai Sales exe never ever bothered to followup on his probable sale & my car buying decision.

As I said before, I always look at Car first. Had I zeroed it on verna, I would have visited another Hyundai dealer.

But curious to know (just curious, am not even hinting your process is wrong or right), what would you have done had you been in this situation (at Mumbai) instead of Baroda? Would you have bought a Maruti/ Honda/ Tata-Fiat car instead of that Hyundai car?
Old 17th August 2009, 21:29   #114
Senior - BHPian

Renault has stopped making the 1.6 Logan
Hyundai crdi is not on the website anymore
Ford Fusion production is still on surprisingly. I guess mostly thanks to exports.
I wonder when the Maruti Swift With K series engine begins production.
Skoda fabia production has now started at the new VW plant. Any price/engine/features changes to be expected?
Old 18th August 2009, 12:57   #115
Senior - BHPian

Good to see Altis sales growing in a constant manner, it is not far from becoming the segment leader including Linia. It would be interesting to see its sales after the launch of facelift Civic in Sept.

Also good to see industry growth as a whole.
Old 19th August 2009, 10:54   #116
evo
BHPian

Jetta is doing well atleast by the "road pe dikhta hai" matrix! And its a funny thing that the two people who have S Class (s) in my apartment building have a Jetta too.

The 5% interest and 3 yr maint will definitely help sales.

Was in Shillong recently, it seems that its the one city thats keeping GM alive! I saw tonnes of AVEO UVA, strange, considering that Shillong is Maruti Country.

As usual, thanks for the figures and the analysis!
Old 19th August 2009, 22:44   #117
Team-BHP Support

Default DEaler Viewpoint

Discussion with the Honda/ VW Dealer

Honda never made a mistake until this year - the overpriced Jazz and the CRV vacating its price point from segment leader, it has become a non starter. Felt Fortuner, GV and Captiva gave good value

Upper C/ Lower D segment badly hit in downturn - 75% in Bangalore

Accord is well priced due to brand image. Skoda features make up for brand

Banking on VW Polo.

No new engines for the Jetta

Tiguan will take another two years
Old 20th August 2009, 09:24   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Honda never made a mistake until this year - the overpriced Jazz and the CRV vacating its price point from segment leader, it has become a non starter. Felt Fortuner, GV and Captiva gave good value

Accord is well priced due to brand image. Skoda features make up for brand
Fortuner could have very good value because of (1) diesel (2) Toyota (3) price point <20. I for one am not planning any purchase for the next 2 years but who knows. Fortuner has made it easier for me to buy a Toyota and save 3-4 lakhs (compared with Camry). I like the Accord but do not dig its huge size.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:18   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Honda never made a mistake until this year
You bet:

1. Toyota has now comfortably overtaken them in sales & market share. This despite Honda launching a small car, Toyota has neither a small car nor a 9 lakh sedan. The Fortuner will only extend Toyota's lead by 300 cars in the monthly tally.

2. For the latest financial year, Honda India lost 196 crores while Toyota was in the positive by 200+ crores.

3. Honda needs to work on its image. Cars lacking in features are clearly not the way to go for a premium'ish manufacturer. You can't think small when your aspirations are big.

4. The % of diesels in passenger car sales is growing. Honda has none for India.

There was a time when Honda was no.1 in all the segments it competed in (NHC, Civic, previous gen Accord and the CRV). They need smarter strategies & a whole lot of hard work.
Old 20th August 2009, 13:13   #120
Senior - BHPian

Ajmat, did the VW dealer give any hint about the Polo launch date?
Closed Thread