Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 11:07   #301
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Net
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
For a Thai car (It is more Thai than Jap) .
That's the funniest comment I have come across in a while

BTW, I see that (price) comparisons are made between City AT and Altis MT. If a buyer wants AT, will he/she still look at MT options? Shouldn't we compare AT to AT and MT to MT? And what are the other AT options that a consumer has in C segment that are likely to threaten City w.r.t AT?
pmbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 11:22   #302
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,152
Thanked: 2,450 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I advise you to not go down this path. It only ends up with you getting infracted. Trust me, I have experience. No one really wants to read anything positive about Honda.
I think that's not fair,

I was just following a honda City yesterday and felt that this would have made a great second car (for my wife) had they priced it more reasonably.

I like the city, the Jazz, the civic, & CRV, but feel all of them are priced incorrectly out here, (Irrespective of how they may or may not be priced intenationally.) feel that only the Accord 2.4 is priced reasonably out here.

Honda makes good cars, but pricing?? Toyota normally comands a premium over the Honda internationally but it is reversed in India except in the case of the Camry which is a CBU import.
ACM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 11:25   #303
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 595
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
BTW, I see that (price) comparisons are made between City AT and Altis MT. If a buyer wants AT, will he/she still look at MT options?
I did consider this while posting. You are right that a person seriously considering an AT has very few options - the closest is the i20 1.4 AT. But, I felt it would still be tempting because the Altis with all the extra goodies is priced so close.

I believe the City V - MT is around 10.5 L OTR Bangalore. This is without the Elegance/Inspire packages.

For a Thai car (It is more Thai than Jap) .

The City and Altis have a decent amount of import content - but sourced from Thailand. I believe India has an FTA with Thailand which makes it cheaper for these guys to source components. It wouldn't be as cheap as Indian components, but they should still be making a decent amount of profit from these cars. For some reason, Honda and to some extent Toyota aren't prepared for a high volume game. They are happier selling a fewer number of cars at a high premium.

Last edited by CBlazer : 16th September 2009 at 11:34.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 11:44   #304
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default

Well, if one were to go thru the sales figures for the last three months, the City sales are going down. At the same time the sales of cars like the SX4 have picked up. While nobody disputes the facts that Honda makes good cars, the bean counters at Honda are undoing all the goodwork done by their counterparts in the engineering/ product development and manufacturing.

As of today, ther other options available in the market offer a very credible alternative to the City, Jazz, Civic, Accord and the CRV. Moreover, unlike say MSIL the City is the bread and butter model for HSCIL.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 11:59   #305
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I think that's not fair,

I was just following a honda City yesterday and felt that this would have made a great second car (for my wife) had they priced it more reasonably.

I like the city, the Jazz, the civic, & CRV, but feel all of them are priced incorrectly out here, (Irrespective of how they may or may not be priced intenationally.) feel that only the Accord 2.4 is priced reasonably out here.

Honda makes good cars, but pricing?? Toyota normally comands a premium over the Honda internationally but it is reversed in India except in the case of the Camry which is a CBU import.
Did you feel that, when launched, the OHC 1.5 spec cars where overpriced? What about when the CR-V was launched at 19L?

Also, ROFL @ the Thai comment. Quite a few Italian Ferrari's in Disguise would qualify as pukka Indian cars with that yardstick, considering that even the engines are made in Rajasthan. Not that being Indian is in any way a bad thing.

People keep saying that people buy Honda based on the brand alone. Well, I keep thinking, what is wrong with that? You buy a BMW, you will expect to get the Ultimate Driving Machine. You buy a Merc and you expect comfort and luxury that the brand is synonymous for. You buy a Toyota and you expect it to outlast you and go to the dealers less times than you go to a hospital.

Honda is primarily an engine company and then a vehicle manufacturer. They make the highest number of internal combustion engines in the world per year. You expect to get that expertise and experience in your car when you buy Honda. Is that somehow wrong?

P.S : All drive train components of Honda and Toyota come from Japan. Not Thailand. This is why the appreciating yen is causing them so much grief.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 16th September 2009 at 12:01.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 12:19   #306
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,160
Thanked: 3,755 Times
Default

@CBlazer: It is indeed Thai but do not forget the DNA and philosophy are still Japanese. How many of us call the Chevy range in India as a Korean (Daewoo)?
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 12:56   #307
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,467
Thanked: 19,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

People keep saying that people buy Honda based on the brand alone. Well, I keep thinking, what is wrong with that? You buy a BMW, you will expect to get the Ultimate Driving Machine. You buy a Merc and you expect comfort and luxury that the brand is synonymous for. You buy a Toyota and you expect it to outlast you and go to the dealers less times than you go to a hospital.

Honda is primarily an engine company and then a vehicle manufacturer. They make the highest number of internal combustion engines in the world per year. You expect to get that expertise and experience in your car when you buy Honda. Is that somehow wrong?
Yes but when you go and buy a car you don't go and buy it just because of the engine.

Taking your example. People don't buy a BMw just because it is the ultimate driving machine. It's because of the entire package. Engine, interiors, handling, looks and features.

Same for Mercedes, the ultimate in luxury because it has a powerful engine, awesome ride, good features and so on.

All these cars are priced premium because of the engineering and attention to detail that goes into making them.

Honda makes great engines, but their cars have no features, neither are they the best handling cars nor do they have the best ride. The looks are subjective and interior quality is also not great.

So it's the overall package which counts more not just the engine.

Even if they do have the best engines, not everyone prefers their engine deisgns which are designed for high revving.

I can safely assure you that 80% of the people owning an ANHC or a Civic will be short shifting well below 3000rpm. Then they will say that the honda is not very powerful.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 13:53   #308
BHPian
 
oops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Holy City-Asr
Posts: 102
Thanked: 36 Times
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Altis's petrol is VVTi, as do iVTEC on City.. 132 bhp to 115 bhp and Altis base model has more features than City's big brother.. so where does City 09 wins.. Seems to me, someone is on a new ID to come out of the infraction!
Altis:
Kerb Weight:1200kg
Power:132Bhp
0 to 100 Km/h: 10.42sec
Autocar Comments: Buzzy Engine, Notchy Gearbox.

City:
Kerb Weight: 1100Kg
Power: 116 Bhp
0 to 100 Km/h: 10.28sec
Autocar Comments: Brilliant Performance.

We Test Drove Both , and found the same .Even found Interiors of City better than that of Altis. Hence booked City V for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Are you diabloo's brother by any chance .
.
No. I am driftagain's Bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Its obvious you've never been inside one else you'd never even think about making that comment. Cedia is the best built Japanese car in its price range by not an insignificant margin.
Yes, I've never been, but it doesn't look good in pics atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
I remember when ANHC was relieved it was priced 50K more than the existing one.

I don't believe in these prices quoted above.
City gets some Civic sense, Civic gets a new sense.-oct-02.jpg
oops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 14:58   #309
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 595
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@CBlazer: It is indeed Thai but do not forget the DNA and philosophy are still Japanese. How many of us call the Chevy range in India as a Korean (Daewoo)?
No issues with it being Thai, sir. I was quoting a post made by someone else(forgot to add the quote). My crib is only that these guys don't pass on the benefits to customers.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 15:40   #310
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 175
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Just to make this discussion obn City price increase, I am tabulating the citywise old and new prices.
(Do not forget that in April-09, Honda had already increased the prices by 30-35K).

Manual Automatic
Variant S-MT S-MT V-MT S-AT V-AT
Price Aug-09 Sep-09 Sep-09 Aug-09 Sep-09
Delhi 832000 837000 882000 904000 954000
Kolkata 848000 853000 898000 920000 970000
Chennai 819900 857000 902000 889000 974000
Banglore 850000 855000 900000 922000 972000
Pune 858000 863100 909000 930000 982400
Mumbai 879000 884200 931400 954900 1007000
Jaipur 811900 860400 906500 882000 980100

(I wish I could have made this more readable, but unable to retain the tabular format when posting to T-bhp).

Add Insurance plus RTO charges for On-road prices.
These tow are approximately as follows:
Delhi 7% of ex-show room price
Kolkata 9%
Chennai 12.50%
Banglore 18.50%
Pune 11.50%
Mumbai 11%
Jaipur 10.50%
psp62in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 16:18   #311
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Net
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Just to make this discussion obn City price increase, I am tabulating the citywise old and new prices.
(Do not forget that in April-09, Honda had already increased the prices by 30-35K).

Manual Automatic
Variant S-MT S-MT V-MT S-AT V-AT
Price Aug-09 Sep-09 Sep-09 Aug-09 Sep-09
Delhi 832000 837000 882000 904000 954000
Kolkata 848000 853000 898000 920000 970000
Chennai 819900 857000 902000 889000 974000
Banglore 850000 855000 900000 922000 972000
Pune 858000 863100 909000 930000 982400
Mumbai 879000 884200 931400 954900 1007000
Jaipur 811900 860400 906500 882000 980100
Interesting! Seems like for Bangalore, the increase in price for S-MT is only 5K. Whereas for Chennai/Jaipur - it is much more. Anyone knows why?

Quote:
Add Insurance plus RTO charges for On-road prices.
These tow are approximately as follows:
Delhi 7% of ex-show room price
Kolkata 9%
Chennai 12.50%
Banglore 18.50%
Pune 11.50%
Mumbai 11%
Jaipur 10.50%
Wow, two different customers from Delhi and Bangalore pay a difference amount of 11.5% for the same car And guess what, Delhi must have fantastic infrastructure in comparison!
pmbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 16:35   #312
BHPian
 
hrishig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 372
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Long live Honda,

Making life easy for all NHC (i-dsi, vtech ) owners as the resell price of there cars will be much more because of the insane price of ANHC.
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 21:39   #313
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 175
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

[quote=pmbabu;1486065]Interesting! Seems like for Bangalore, the increase in price for S-MT is only 5K. Whereas for Chennai/Jaipur - it is much more. Anyone knows why?
QUOTE]

Guys, Sorry for this, but there is obviously some mistake in the OLD figures I quoted for Chennai/Bangalore, Will check and come back soon.
psp62in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 21:52   #314
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,335
Thanked: 921 Times
Default New City brochure

Just saw the brochure for the new City. The text is absolutely hilarious (almost amateurish). They keep trying to emphasise that they're only competing with themselves; how they're the only one in the race blah blah. Here's a sample:

"The Front Fog Lights shine through the darkest of times to give you a clear passage." LOL

I fail to understand why they can't put leather seats in the V variant at least considering the price point its retailing at.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 22:19   #315
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
Toyota Corrola Altis 1.8J: 10.52 lacs City's engine is much better than Altis
Err, arent we going a segment higher with that comment ?? Yes yes i know Honda has forced you to go to next segment. But i have driven both and obviously Altis is a class above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
I am sure that city sale will drop from 4000 to 3000 for this month.
ANHC sold below 3000 units in August
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Road Sense and No Sense of responsibility iceman91 Street Experiences 183 7th March 2016 19:05
City Sleek or Civic Sense? A short comparison of the two mdsaab Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 70 12th November 2011 11:40
Finally some Civic Sense. My 15k kms, CIVIC 1.8 S M/T. Named Valentino. danlalan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 22 14th October 2011 20:51
Some numbers in brochures don't make sense... gurudutt Technical Stuff 19 30th May 2011 12:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks