Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd September 2009, 09:26   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
One year of ownership and even the best paints won't survive service centers that wash with sandpaper.
I do not know about Trivandrum traffic (which must be better considering the Southern people), but in Delhi this is not an issue, as road users ensure that your car gets a regular coat of paint every few months.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:31   #347
Senior - BHPian

Trivandrum traffic is good when it comes to dents and scratches. You either have a pristine paint finish or you repaint entire panels after big accidents.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:32   #348
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't know why Honda's denying the rear suspension upgrade, maybe to avoid the scorn of existing Civic owners (scraping is one of the biggest grouses). I've driven the facelift back to back with a regular Civic, and the rear is DEFINITELY tighter / firmer. Even confirmed with an auto journo friend who drove the car last week.

There is a large speedbreaker when coming from Worli seaface and driving toward town (just before Mela restaurant on your right & before you join the main road from under the flyover). With 4 adults on board, the facelift did not so much as touch its underbody. There is no way the previous Civic could manage that. What we are talking about is an XL size bump.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:46   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't know why Honda's denying the rear suspension upgrade, maybe to avoid the scorn of existing Civic owners (scraping is one of the biggest grouses). I've driven the facelift back to back with a regular Civic, and the rear is DEFINITELY tighter / firmer. Even confirmed with an auto journo friend who drove the car last week.

There is a large speedbreaker when coming from Worli seaface and driving toward town (just before Mela restaurant on your right & before you join the main road from under the flyover). With 4 adults on board, the facelift did not so much as touch its underbody. There is no way the previous Civic could manage that. What we are talking about is an XL size bump.
Is there a significant difference? In measurement is there a rise in the GC?
Might get one hence I need to make sure. The last time the Altis won the battle and one of the biggest reasons was civic's bottoming issue. But I can't digest buying a 3rd Altis! Will wait for the cruze and then decide which one of the two C's it will be.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:53   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is there a significant difference? In measurement is there a rise in the GC?
I did take a very close look at the rear of both old and new civic, while people at the dealership gave me dirty stares wondering if I'm a mechanic! I didn't notice any change in GC; it remains at 170mm which I believe is the max that Honda could give, without spoiling handling/stability much. IMO this is more than adequate as long as the spring is stiffened (170mm is higher than most cars). Older Civic had softer springs and the effect was more pronounced due to longer wheelbase (10cm longer than corolla/altis).

The very fact that Honda did some road-testing of new Civic, makes me think that the rear suspension (I mean springs/dampers) is clearly reworked. I see no reason why they would road-test a car with only cosmetic changes. Now we need to see how much of low-speed-ride-quality is compromised!
mkc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:05   #351
Senior - BHPian

You can compensate a bit for a stiffer spring by using a different damper setting. It's a compromise either way though.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:15   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Could it just be a new car with brand new suspension vs old car with a suspension that has softened with time due to wear and tear? Just speculating! Need to try it out personally to really confirm this.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:23   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Could it just be a new car with brand new suspension vs old car with a suspension that has softened with time due to wear and tear? Just speculating! Need to try it out personally to really confirm this.
Oh no, not at all reign. My Civic, with less than 3000KM on the odo went on a big long road trip with three big beefy passengers in the rear and it dropped so low that even the slightest of bumps made the rear suspension hit the bumpstop and I lost count of the speed breakers we left our mark on. And these are Tamil Nadu speedbreakers mind - very considerate. The pre-facelift Civic has a very real problem with an overly soft rear spring.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:30   #354
Senior - BHPian

@GTO:
I know the breaker you're referring to. I've taken 4 ppl there in my month old civic (outgoing model) and if you take the breaker carefully it doesn't scrape (maybe bcos my car is new and the suspension softens further with time). I can imagine scraping it though if one weren't ultra careful.

Regardless and on a related note, is there any 'not too complicated' quick fix after market solution that can stiffen the existing suspension setting in my civic? I wouldn't mind the slight deterioration in ride quality since I would very rarely be chaffeur driven.

Quote:

Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:42   #355
Senior - BHPian

There are several aftermarket options for the Civic. But they aren't very cheap.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:56   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
@GTO:
I know the breaker you're referring to. I've taken 4 ppl there in my month old civic (outgoing model) and if you take the breaker carefully it doesn't scrape (maybe bcos my car is new and the suspension softens further with time). I can imagine scraping it though if one weren't ultra careful.

Regardless and on a related note, is there any 'not too complicated' quick fix after market solution that can stiffen the existing suspension setting in my civic? I wouldn't mind the slight deterioration in ride quality since I would very rarely be chaffeur driven.

Yes! you can get your car raised from the rear by swapping the rear rubber shock absorber supports with thicker ones. The height increase can be anywhere between 1-3 inches depending on your choice. Should not cost more that 3-4 hundred rupees.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:26   #357
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
IIMO this is more than adequate as long as the spring is stiffened (170mm is higher than most cars).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
You can compensate a bit for a stiffer spring by using a different damper setting. It's a compromise either way though.
Spot on! I am talking about a stiffened rear end. Can one of the existing Civic owners take a spin in the facelift and comment?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:58   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Spot on! I am talking about a stiffened rear end. Can one of the existing Civic owners take a spin in the facelift and comment?
GTO, were you able to test the City too if they have stiffened the rear end? Thanks!
pmbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:22   #359
BHPian

Quote:
I've driven the facelift back to back with a regular Civic, and the rear is DEFINITELY tighter / firmer. Even confirmed with an auto journo friend who drove the car last week.
Now that you have time off from the Honda city overpricing thread, can we expect an awesome report on stone age civic vs xgeneration civic
musicvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:12   #360
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
But I can't digest buying a 3rd Altis!
I must say - YOU HAVE A GOOD DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
oops is offline   Reply With Quote